PDA

View Full Version : Joe Horlen interview is a gem ...

ode to veeck
03-01-2005, 04:38 AM
Great job Lip. Lotsa nice tidbits from Joe, from the curve ball he picked up from Whitey Ford via Tommy John to the clubhouse discussions on the '72 strike, just before the Sox released their player rep.

Amazing to think back to those mid 60s teams, like the '67 Sox, who had a staff ERA of 2.45!

idseer
03-01-2005, 08:08 AM
horlen's no hitter was actually a perfect game in a sense. only an error marred it. no hits or walks.

NonetheLoaiza
03-01-2005, 11:57 AM
Great read. I really appreciate those interviews and articles...

flo-B-flo
03-01-2005, 12:20 PM
Joel H was excellent. Every pitch had movement and most of the time he had prescision location. Saw him pitch many times in my childhood.

Lip Man 1
03-01-2005, 12:39 PM
Actually during to no-hitter Horlen hit a batter and another guy reached via error.

I had heard Joe was somewhat bitter and taciturn in his older age, but I found that to be completely false. He was friendly, funny (his stories are priceless) and had a great memory for the events that had gone on during his Sox career.

I'm glad all of you enjoyed it.

Now on to the next one...choices, so many choices!

Lip

HITMEN OF 77
03-01-2005, 02:00 PM
I actually have a scorecard from Horlen's no hitter vs Detroit and another one from Peter's one hitter earlier in the year.

HITMEN OF 77
03-01-2005, 02:02 PM

Lip

Can we please get a Gail Hopkins or a Walt Williams interview....:D:

Procol Harum
03-01-2005, 02:06 PM
Say, seeing how I think he lives around here, how about an interview of "Big Nick"--Dave Nicholson? Wonder how far he could've hit the ball if he had taken the Canseco/Bonds route?

SpammySosa
03-01-2005, 07:50 PM
Actually during to no-hitter Horlen hit a batter and another guy reached via error.

I had heard Joe was somewhat bitter and taciturn in his older age, but I found that to be completely false. He was friendly, funny (his stories are priceless) and had a great memory for the events that had gone on during his Sox career.

I'm glad all of you enjoyed it.

Lip

How about Virgil Fire Trucks? For someone his age,he is quite articulate as well and a very friendly man. I know his time with the Sox was brief,but he had a couple of his best years here.

Lip Man 1
03-01-2005, 09:03 PM
Gang:

I'd be happy to try to interview anyone you have suggested. One problem...I have no idea where they live so I can't do an internet search to try to get a phone number.

If you have contact information for any former Sox players (by contact info I mean either a city where they live or a street address or a phone number...whatever you may have...) PLEASE e-mail that info to me at:

mliptak1@ida.net

I'll do my damndest to work with it.

:smile:

Lip

MikeW
03-01-2005, 09:37 PM
Lip, Great interview. Horlen was one of my favorites and I almost had the chance to meet him once while I was stationed in the army in San Antonio. You might want to try the baseball address list. It lists all players home addresses and is updated every couple of years. I built my Sox autograph collection thanks to this book. If you need a certain players address I can get it for you,although the book I have is 2 years old, most older players stay at the same address.

Lip Man 1
03-01-2005, 09:45 PM
Mike:

Feel free to send me the info on whomever you choose. Pick yourself five or ten of your favorites from the years and I'll see what I can do.

Lip

MikeW
03-02-2005, 09:59 PM
Lip, I'll be more than happy too. Mike

Vernam
03-04-2005, 08:13 AM

What, no BB Richard?! :smile:

When I was 11 years old and pitching the opening game of our Little League season, Joel threw out the first pitch. What a thrill for a kid who was already a diehard Sox fan, standing on the mound next to a guy who, at that time, was one of the top five pitchers in the league.

Great interview, Lip.

VC

HITMEN OF 77
03-04-2005, 10:41 AM
If you have a BB interview then we must also interview Jerry Nyman and Bob Spence.

Lip Man 1
03-04-2005, 11:01 AM
And we certainly couldn't forget Chuck Brinkman, Rich Morales or John 'The Jet' Jeter! LOL

Lip

TommyJohn
03-04-2005, 11:36 AM
How about Mike Stanton? I'm sure some of the 21 and over fans remember him
fondly.

ode to veeck
03-04-2005, 11:58 AM
how about Wilbur Wood? I'll bet he can still throw a knucklebal

HITMEN OF 77
03-04-2005, 01:38 PM
And we certainly couldn't forget Chuck Brinkman, Rich Morales or John 'The Jet' Jeter! LOL

Lip

Brinkman probably has some good stories about sitting the bench for the Sox for 5 years. How about Danny "Lights Out" Murphy.

Lip Man 1
03-04-2005, 03:29 PM
I'd love to speak with Wilbur. He still lives in the Boston area but I have not been able to get any kind of address or phone number. The Boston Globe sports department doesn't know how to contact him and neither did Mike Andrews.

Lip

TommyJohn
03-04-2005, 04:05 PM
Brinkman probably has some good stories about sitting the bench for the Sox for 5 years. How about Danny "Lights Out" Murphy.

Ah, Danny Murphy. A trivia geek's (like myself) dream. Only player to play for
both the worst Cubs and White Sox teams of the 20th century. (1962 Cubs,
59-103; 1970 White Sox, 56-106).

HITMEN OF 77
03-04-2005, 04:13 PM
Ah, Danny Murphy. A trivia geek's (like myself) dream. Only player to play for
both the worst Cubs and White Sox teams of the 20th century. (Cubs 1962,
59-103; White Sox 1970, 56-106).

Don Eddy, Don Secrist, Denny O'Toole a few other favs to name but a few.

hose
03-04-2005, 10:00 PM
Excellent interview Lip :cool:

wassagstdu
03-05-2005, 07:54 AM
Walt Williams, for sure! I remember a play I saw him make at Fenway way back (probably in 1969). He came in from right field and made a diving stop -- of a throw to first that was about to go into the first base dugout. That guy made Pete Rose look lazy. I'd love to read his thoughts on Ozzie-ball and how the game should be played.