PDA

View Full Version : White Sox standing among free agents improving....

petekat
02-28-2005, 06:18 PM
Matt Clement seriously considered the Sox. Sign of future possibilities (such as Dye passing up more money):
:redface:

While no one has said it on the record, some in the Cubs' front office questioned Clement's mental toughness after he won only once in a stretch of 12 starts at midseason. Perhaps it was easier for them to justify the decision not to spend heavily to keep him if they told themselves he was "soft."

Yet if Clement is somehow lacking in the competitiveness department, how do you explain his signing with Boston rather than one of the lower-profile teams pursuing him?

The Red Sox gave Clement $25.5 million over three years to help them get back to the World Series. He and David Wells are replacing Pedro Martinez and Derek Lowe in a rotation fronted by Curt Schilling.

Having experienced playoff races the last two seasons, Clement said he wanted to go to a team where he could be practically assured of having a shot at the postseason. That's why he passed up offers from the White Sox, Cleveland, Toronto, Arizona and Anaheim, among others.

"You don't know how often the ball will be in your court," Clement said. "You don't want to wake up after your career is over and say, 'Man, I wish I had taken that chance.'"

Clement said he was sorely tempted to stay in Chicago. He knows Ozzie Guillen and was interested in being reunited with catcher Ben Davis, whom he thought did a good job working with him in San Diego.

"I loved the city, and would have been happy staying there," Clement said. "But I was really taken by what [the Red Sox] had done here, coming back from being 3-0 behind the Yankees in the playoffs to win the World Series. It's exciting to think about being a part of that, being with a team that overcame the odds like that."

CubKilla
02-28-2005, 09:45 PM
Matt Clement seriously considered the Sox. Sign of future possibilities (such as Dye passing up more money):
:redface:

If you pay them, they will come.

gobears1987
02-28-2005, 10:35 PM
But, CLement wanted to go where there was pretty much a guaranteed post-season shot.

SoxWillWin
03-01-2005, 01:52 AM
But, CLement wanted to go where there was pretty much a guaranteed post-season shot.

and a spare $25 mil........

petekat
03-02-2005, 11:20 AM
At least it's a sign that Oz is helping the Sox build some cred around the league. Wonder how much of an impact player or manager contact during the season (under the radar screen) has on free agent decisions. It's not tampering if players engage in off-the field recruiting is it? My guess is that with players of different teams spending time in the off-season at the golf course and sharing agents- a lot of this goes in throuhg back channels

and a spare $25 mil........

Baby Fisk
03-02-2005, 11:28 AM
"I loved the city, and would have been happy staying there," Clement said. "But I was really taken by what [the Red Sox] had done here, coming back from being 3-0 behind the Yankees in the playoffs to win the World Series. It's exciting to think about being a part of that, being with a team that overcame the odds like that."
*** kind of reasoning is that? :?:
The 2004 BoSox no longer exist.

slavko
03-02-2005, 09:25 PM
They go where the money is and then make self-serving statements rationalizing the act. Yawn. It only happens about 100% of the time a player goes elsewhere.

batmanZoSo
03-02-2005, 09:31 PM
*** kind of reasoning is that? :?:
The 2004 BoSox no longer exist.

On the contrary, I don't think they'll ever die. :rolleyes:

But seriously, where would you go? I'd go to the team that just won it all, not the other team that hasn't since god knows when or stay in Loserville where I'd already seen the horror first-hand.