PDA

View Full Version : Tori Hunter rips Sox moves

Fake Chet Lemon
02-28-2005, 03:28 PM
Dan McNeil on ESPN 1000 just reported that Tori Hunter said he used to fear Ordonez and Carlos Lee. Now he looks at this roster and he is not as worried. So much for the Twins and their class. The gloves are off big time.

I want Mags back
02-28-2005, 03:30 PM
**** HIM

Well see if he can still say that in October

PAPChiSox729
02-28-2005, 03:38 PM
We will see who is scarier come October. I can't wait for the season to start. Bring on the Twinkies!!

NSSoxFan
02-28-2005, 03:40 PM
I'm not ready to give the division to the Sox just yet. Although I am confident they will win it. This is very un-Twin like to be sounding off about different things like this. Torri "I'm From The Hood" Hunter should shut his pie hole and concentrate on his own team.

spawn
02-28-2005, 03:47 PM
Dan McNeil on ESPN 1000 just reported that Tori Hunter said he used to fear Ordonez and Carlos Lee. Now he looks at this roster and he is not as worried. So much for the Twins and their class. The gloves are off big time.
Eh, big deal. McNeil was probably reading that from this article (http://www.suntimes.com/output/deluca/cst-spt-deluca28.htm) in today's Sun-Times. this is what Torii said:
''The only thing I'm afraid of with the White Sox is 'Ohhh-wee-ohh, Magg-lee-ohhh.' When they played that, I was afraid,'' Hunter said. ''Carlos Lee, when he came up, I was afraid. OK, these two guys are gone, I'm kinda not afraid anymore.''

He also said this:

''Scott Podsednik, a lot of people don't know him, but this guy can play, man,'' Hunter said. ''He's going to hit .300 no matter what. He's going to steal 30, 40 bags no matter what. He's a big addition.
''If you are relying on that three-run homer instead of your pitching, defense, speed, everything, it can happen for three or four days straight, then the next week, you shut it down. Your power hitters get tired and can't hit that three-run homer. You have to rely on everything, not just one thing.''

He's right. And I hate to say it, but they way they whooped us the last couple of years, he has a right to say that. The Sox will just have to show them on the field.So what did Mac have to say in response? Did he berate the Sox again as usual?

Tekijawa
If you squint really hard, you can see the Hood where Torii is from, look in the picture titled "snow covered main street", The Arts and Science center looks like it's in a pretty bad neighborhood too!

http://www.pinebluff.com/

I've been in more dangerous neighborhoods in My home town of DeKalb, IL then Pine Bluff, AR even dreams of having... I be our Cows and Goats are tougher than their too!

PicktoCLick72
I believe a comment by RAy Durham three years ago is what lit a fire under the Twins and drove tem to the last three division titles. Maybe this is just what the Sox need to get them over the hump.

D. TODD
02-28-2005, 03:51 PM
I'm not ready to give the division to the Sox just yet. Although I am confident they will win it. This is very un-Twin like to be sounding off about different things like this. Torri "I'm From The Hood" Hunter should shut his pie hole and concentrate on his own team. He also did not like the Twins offseason. If he feared Maggs and C. Lee for their power it is understandable, he is happy not to face them in a Sox uniform this year, o.k.. If this is all he said I don't see it as being anything to get upset about, just as he should worry about his team I think we should worry about ours No need to make to much out of the Twinkies centerfeilders opinions. He also had positive things to say about A.J. helping the Sox.

chisox2005
02-28-2005, 03:53 PM

Am I missing something? Ok, Hunter fears Ordonez and Lee. Wouldn't you fear them more than Jermaine Dye. He sure doesn't sound like he is bashing the Sox, just recognizing as a centerfielder that their power is down some.

I think if you ask a majority of AL Central players, they will most likely say they feared last years lineup more than this years. Small ball guys don't get feared, unless your Ichiro.

SoxFan78
02-28-2005, 03:56 PM
Lets see how afraid he is when he has a 95 MPH fastball coming right at his head in his first at bat in Comiskey.

JUribe1989
02-28-2005, 04:02 PM
Hey Torii ****ing Hunter, remember that time on September 14 when Freddy Garcia threw at you, then picked you off when you got to first. Wait, I forgot you are from the hood and you could jsut kick Freddy's ass next time he tries that ****. Just watch out for AJ when you are running home this year.
:hawk
"Here's the pitch to Morneau, that ball hit in to right field. They're gonna wave home Hunter. Here's the throw by Dye. It is in time, and AJ takes out Hunter......HE GONE!"

gobears1987
02-28-2005, 04:08 PM
I want to hear him say that after "el Duque" puts one in his ear or AJ close lines him.

s.dedalus
02-28-2005, 04:08 PM
Umm... I think this post title was kind of misleading, since his comments sound largely complimentary in the article. I don't know what more he's supposed to do to show respect than offer praise for an acquisition (Podsednik) that was largely panned in the mainstream sports media and then announce that the division was "open".

idseer
02-28-2005, 04:18 PM
Umm... I think this post title was kind of misleading, since his comments sound largely complimentary in the article. I don't know what more he's supposed to do to show respect than offer praise for an acquisition (Podsednik) that was largely panned in the mainstream sports media and then announce that the division was "open".

this is just more torii bashing and chest beating for no good reason.
it's grade school mentality.

D. TODD
02-28-2005, 04:19 PM
Lets see how afraid he is when he has a 95 MPH fastball coming right at his head in his first at bat in Comiskey. I for one do not want to see anyone on our staff go head hunting against Tori. Now if a similar situation arises to last year, we defiantly should handle it quickly, but until then we just need to outplay the Twinks not:get in a beanball war. I would hate to see Konerko or anyone else on the Sox lose significant time due to a Twin retaliation pitch.

LVSoxFan
02-28-2005, 04:24 PM
You guys are misreading his comments. He was saying that he feared the bats of Lee and Maggs, but that fear is gone with them. It's a different kind of game we're playing now, and he acknowledges that.

Whoever doesn't listen to him is missing out; as somebody said above, seeing that they've dominated us for years, he probably knows what he's talking about.

As for our new approach, it ought to be interesting with the Twins, because let's face it: we're following their model. Whether that can gain us anything beyond the Comedy Central remains to be seen. But I'm willing to go along for the ride--never again do I want to experience the feast-or-famine games of 2004.

Plus, in the most homer-friendly park in the league, I highly doubt we'll be seeing no more home runs. We still have Konerko, Rowand, Thomas (when back)... if Crede finally wakes up, look out.

Rocklive99
02-28-2005, 04:35 PM
I was mad when I heard these comments on ESPN 1000, but after reading the article Mac kind of took them out of context. He's kind of praising the same moves we are when it would be nice if it touched our pitchers the wrong way, but this is competition, I don't expect him to show fear or give our players hugs.

It's kind of funny though, who is there to fear on the Twins? I just have a feeling they'll come close to finishing in 3rd or 4th this year. Relying on Lew Ford? Players speaking out against management? Their bright spots are Johan Santana (it didn't take NY too long to figure him out did it?) and some young players (we know from experience what can happen when you trust them). I know they come out looking average and then just win but I don't think they can pull the magic rabbit out of their ass this year.

Fake Chet Lemon
02-28-2005, 04:44 PM

All I heard when I created the title was what Mac said on air. He just picked the juicy stuff I guess. But it still sounds like a back handed rip- to compliment and praise the guys who are GONE. Why didn't he say that about Ordonez and Lee LAST YEAR then??? I can't wait until he comes to our hood.

LVSoxFan
02-28-2005, 04:47 PM
I don't know why everybody's counting the Twinkies out so quickly--is the team really that significantly different than the one that killed us last year?

Regardless, it's gonna be a tough summer. Except for K.C., which is doomed, I anticipate some really tough competition from Cleveland and especially Detroit. Magglio's definitely got a chip on his shoulder about the Sox, not that he's the whole team.

The good news is, with so many good teams, if we can win this division it might bode well for us matching up against other divisions in the playoffs. Really, I'm tired of watching us getting smoked in the first round (Seattle) or the Twins getting stomped by the Yankees... in the first round.

Dadawg_77
02-28-2005, 06:12 PM
**** HIM

Does anyone else appreciate the irony of this post?

Lem_Siddons
02-28-2005, 06:44 PM
A home run is a RBI. I'd fear a home run hitter over a guy who is hoping to scratch his way on base, steal second, and waiting for a single to drive him in. Face it the only hitters I would "fear" in this lineup are Konerko and Frank when he gets back.

I will give some grudging respect to Hunter, I like the way he plays the game. He probably has earned the right to make that comment, the same way Frank, Konerko, or Buerhle have.

Lem_Siddons
02-28-2005, 06:46 PM
Magglio's definitely got a chip on his shoulder

And in his knee! :D:

I agree with the rest of your post. This may be the tightest bunched this division has been in a long time.

idseer
02-28-2005, 07:12 PM
A home run is a RBI. I'd fear a home run hitter over a guy who is hoping to scratch his way on base, steal second, and waiting for a single to drive him in. Face it the only hitters I would "fear" in this lineup are Konerko and Frank when he gets back.

I will give some grudging respect to Hunter, I like the way he plays the game. He probably has earned the right to make that comment, the same way Frank, Konerko, or Buerhle have.

yeah ... the game is all about homeruns. :smile:

the home run derby has the right idea. bases, fielding, pitching ... who needs em? use a pitching machine and all the teams could just get the biggest strongest guys and just take turns swinging for the fence. no singles, doubles, triples, stolen bases, nobody on the field at all in fact. only homeruns. i bet it'd make millions.

batmanZoSo
02-28-2005, 07:34 PM

Haven't we always looked at the Twins pathetic looking lineup and underestimated them?

s.dedalus
02-28-2005, 08:07 PM
Their bright spots are Johan Santana (it didn't take NY too long to figure him out did it?) and some young players (we know from experience what can happen when you trust them). I know they come out looking average and then just win but I don't think they can pull the magic rabbit out of their ass this year.

Santana's work against NY in the 2004 playoffs: 12 IP, 1-0, 12K, 4BB, 0.75 ERA

I'll have to wait for you to define "figure out" more fully, but as a Twins fan, I'd be completely satisfied to have every team in the league figure out Santana just like New York did.

Bucky F. Dent
02-28-2005, 08:28 PM
At the end of the day, why should I care what Torri Hunter has to say about the Sox lineup.

Who's your third baseman, who's your short stop, who's your team's next self imposed cap casualty....you!?!
Get your own house in order, punk!

batmanZoSo
02-28-2005, 08:35 PM
At the end of the day, why should I care what Torri Hunter has to say about the Sox lineup.

Who's your third baseman, who's your short stop, who's your team's next self imposed cap casualty....you!?!
Get your own house in order, punk!

I didn't read his exact quote, but the first post indicated that he didn't say anything insulting, just making a statement--he's not as worried. But a misguided one, because this is a way better lineup than last years if Frank is healthy. And a way better pitching staff as well all around. If the Twins ever should've been worried, it's right now.

But personally, I'd rather leave the trash talking to them.

Lem_Siddons
02-28-2005, 08:52 PM
yeah ... the game is all about homeruns. :smile:

the home run derby has the right idea. bases, fielding, pitching ... who needs em? use a pitching machine and all the teams could just get the biggest strongest guys and just take turns swinging for the fence. no singles, doubles, triples, stolen bases, nobody on the field at all in fact. only homeruns. i bet it'd make millions.

You are reading more into my reply than what was there, or you accidentaly quoted my post.

"Fear", which is a silly phrase really to describe hitting a baseball, is usually triggered by the immediacy of something happening. Someone jumping out from the shadows for example. So a home run hitter would be "feared" more than a singles hitter. Hitting homeruns, I agree, isn't what baseball is all about. Pitching and defense has a lot to do with that. However, when was the last time someone spoke of "fear" from a great fielding center fielder?

CubKilla
02-28-2005, 09:43 PM
Maybe this is just what the Sox need to get them over the hump.

Losing the AL Central to the Twins the last 3 seasons isn't enough?

tstrike2000
02-28-2005, 09:45 PM
Let Torii Hunter run his mouth off. At least the Sox aren't lying down. Williams at least tries to make improvements under a budget. The Sox just need to put their emotion into the game and take the division back from the Twins.

SOX ADDICT '73
02-28-2005, 09:52 PM
I'm tired of watching us getting smoked in the first round (Seattle) or the Twins getting stomped by the Yankees... in the first round.
I know it has made our division look weak, but I NEVER got tired of seeing the Twins get stomped in the first round.

Unregistered
02-28-2005, 10:16 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050227/capt.azca10202272000.white_sox_spring_azca102.jpg
"Be afraid, Torii. Be very afraid..."

SOX ADDICT '73
02-28-2005, 10:23 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050227/capt.azca10202272000.white_sox_spring_azca102.jpg
"Be afraid, Torii. Be very afraid..."
SWEEEEEEEEET!

Jurr
03-01-2005, 06:38 AM
If you squint really hard, you can see the Hood where Torii is from, look in the picture titled "snow covered main street", The Arts and Science center looks like it's in a pretty bad neighborhood too!

http://www.pinebluff.com/

I've been in more dangerous neighborhoods in My home town of DeKalb, IL then Pine Bluff, AR even dreams of having... I be our Cows and Goats are tougher than their too!

You definitely haven't been to Pine Bluff, then. It's an absolute ghetto. No joke. Arkansas has one of the biggest methamphetamine problems in the nation, and PB is a hotbed. There are a lot of terribly shady things going on in that city. It's not the state you'd think had bad problems with crime and gangs, but Arkansas has a great deal of problems. Torii Hunter definitely is from the ghetto.

Jurr
03-01-2005, 06:45 AM
You are reading more into my reply than what was there, or you accidentaly quoted my post.

"Fear", which is a silly phrase really to describe hitting a baseball, is usually triggered by the immediacy of something happening. Someone jumping out from the shadows for example. So a home run hitter would be "feared" more than a singles hitter. Hitting homeruns, I agree, isn't what baseball is all about. Pitching and defense has a lot to do with that. However, when was the last time someone spoke of "fear" from a great fielding center fielder?

That fear comes along when the team has a one run lead or the game is tied and that great fielding center fielder comes up to bat and draws a walk or gets a single. Then, he steals second. The moment that guy touched first, the whole defense tightens up. He's bunted over to third. Oh, yeah...with one out. Execution is a whole lot scarier than a solo shot. Teams that execute seem to always find a way to get that last run. I have watched probably 100-150 Twins games in the past two seasons, and they always find that way to get what they need. Instead of outscoring a team by 11 runs in one day, I'd rather them outscore that team by 5 over three games and sweep.

SOXSINCE'70
03-01-2005, 07:05 AM
The man who thinks there are " 'hoods" in Arkansas should
worry about his own house before he starts throwing stones
at the Sox' house.:angry: What's the matter,Torii,are you scared that
the Sox might actually win the division this year despite the
fact everyone will make the Twinkies favorites??:o:

And say hey to Johan Santana for me.Tell him he better
earn his contract and be a lot better than he was last year.
Then,we'll watch his ERA balloon,his losses mount,his HR balls
increase and the Sox will win the division,ESPN know it alls
be damned!!:angry: :angry:

idseer
03-01-2005, 07:39 AM

then you must think the sox were the most feared team in baseball last year.
personally i think an opposing manager is more fearful of guys coming up in a close game that he knows are gamers and will do anything to win. obp guys with speed. players who know how to bunt.

i know you weren't suggesting that it was about just homeruns. but your comparison of A homerun hitter to A singles hitter wasn't really fair. bottom of the ninth up by one, i believe a pitcher would rather face a power hitter who hits about .250 and a couple sure outs than 3 or 5 guys who are .280 or above who know how to walk, run the bases and are clutch.

idseer
03-01-2005, 07:42 AM
The man who thinks there are " 'hoods" in Arkansas should
worry about his own house before he starts throwing stones
at the Sox' house.:angry: What's the matter,Torii,are you scared that
the Sox might actually win the division this year despite the
fact everyone will make the Twinkies favorites??:o:

And say hey to Johan Santana for me.Tell him he better
earn his contract and be a lot better than he was last year.
Then,we'll watch his ERA balloon,his losses mount,his HR balls
increase and the Sox will win the division,ESPN know it alls
be damned!!:angry: :angry:

this is really silly. do you think torii goes around talking about the sox?
when he's asked certain questions by reporters he answers them ... and it gets printed in chicago.

i clearly remember a couple years ago when the sox thought is was going to be chicago's year and our players were dissing the twins all over the place. where was your righteous indignation then?

wdelaney72
03-01-2005, 08:14 AM
:threadsucks

It didn't start out this way, but the pissing contest in this thread is ridiculous. While I have no idea why a Twins fan wants to post on a White Sox board, he's absolutely right.

Leave the trash talking and the "retaliation" for the WWF. I just want the Sox to win a majority of the games against the Twins and win the Division. That will be strongest form of retaliation.

SoxFanTillDeath
03-01-2005, 09:35 AM
**** HIM

Ironic thing is that we won't see them in October. Either we make it or they do. However, neither of us will beat out NY/Boston for the wildcard spot in the AL.

I can't wait for the first spring training game (wednesday) so we can all stop whining about the littlest things said and taking one phrase out of an entire quote and jumping off the cliff with it...

s.dedalus
03-01-2005, 09:47 AM
While I have no idea why a Twins fan wants to post on a White Sox board, he's absolutely right.

I live in Chicago. I started reading for an occasional heads-up on local interviews like the AJ one that occurred right after he signed. Posting results from occasional irresistable impulses.

Rudy Law
03-01-2005, 10:32 AM

You missed the part of the article where the Twins(hunter included)talked about how much different the Sox where and how you weren't going to be able to make mistakes against them. You also missed the part about how they are pissed that the Sox got A.J. and how much he was going to help us..Just in general they talked about how each game was going to be tough against the Sox

Sox-on-TV44
03-01-2005, 10:34 AM
:angry: THAT'S IT!!!!
BRING IT ON,TORI "SPELLING" HUNTER!!!!!!

kittle42
03-01-2005, 11:26 AM
Something this thread proves: people are not willing to read past headlines and one block quote.

ma-gaga
03-01-2005, 11:27 AM
I didn't read his exact quote

This is a great commentary on the indignant posts in this thread.

They are taking exception to someone mentioning his name at the beginning of the thread for someone reading a partial quote on the Chicago Talk Radio taken from a partial Chicago newspaper clip taken from a Minnesota newspaper clip taken from an ESPN radio interview.

No... there's no loss in translation.

Fake Chet Lemon
03-01-2005, 11:56 AM
Something this thread proves: people are not willing to read past headlines and one block quote.

OK-OK-OK! Like I mentioned, this is what Mac said on air. He made it sound like breaking news and he had a scoop. I didn't KNOW there was a Sun Times article or I would have read it first. He made no mention of a Sun Times article originally. He just mentioned the inflammatory parts, so it seemed very Thread-worthy. I still think it is to a degree, but hopefully you all can back it down some on me.:smile:

flo-B-flo
03-01-2005, 12:27 PM
This is a great commentary on the indignant posts in this thread.

They are taking exception to someone mentioning his name at the beginning of the thread for someone reading a partial quote on the Chicago Talk Radio taken from a partial Chicago newspaper clip taken from a Minnesota newspaper clip taken from an ESPN radio interview.

No... there's no loss in translation. Some player gives his opinion about a rival. Newspaper article is written about said comments. Talk radio creature picks it up and runs with it. HO HUM BFD!

Lip Man 1
03-01-2005, 12:36 PM
I don't have an issue with what Hunter said. Personally I think to many Sox fans are far to quick to start pointing fingers because of some type of 'inferiority complex' towards the media, other players and so forth.

It basically comes down to the 'respect factor,' and as I've always contended if the Sox finally win something of substance, they'll start getting respect.

Until then they haven't earned a thing.

Lip

Fake Chet Lemon
03-01-2005, 01:18 PM
One playoff win per decade under Reinsdorf isn't going to garner much respect. That's about the average so far (how sad). Until we can win at least a series, we will be off the national radar completely.