PDA

View Full Version : Props for A-Row

infohawk
02-28-2005, 04:09 PM
The Fox sports website has an article naming the top ten underrated/sleepers in baseball. Aaron Rowand made this author's list. Here is the link:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/3420294

Jabroni
02-28-2005, 04:15 PM
I agreed with him on every player but this one...3B Russ Branyan, Brewers

Some may consider this selection a bit of a reach on my part, but hear me out. Branyan hasn't even won the third base job in Milwaukee, but if, as I expect will happen, he beats out Wes Helms for the assignment, he could surprise. Branyan's always had a light-tower power stroke, and he's willing to take his share of walks. However, his penchant for low batting averages and ghastly strikeout totals has shanghaied his efforts to win a regular job. Maybe he's at last found an organization that will overlook those lesser faults and give him a chance to play a full season. In seven seasons of intermittent play at the highest level, Branyan has mashed 81 homers in 1,262 at-bats. That at-bat total comes to roughly two full seasons of work, and, as you can see, that's 40-homer power in each of those hypothetical full seasons. In other words, give this guy a job. If the Brewers entrust him with a starting job and leave him there, he'll probably exceed 200 strikeouts, but he'll also draw 75 walks and hit 35 bombs.Light-Tower Power? Wow, he sounds alot like Joe. Why isn't Borchard on this list? :tongue:

fusillirob1983
02-28-2005, 04:21 PM
I agree with quite a few guys on that list, but one I don't agree with is Rich Harden. It seems like people have been talking about him a couple seasons now, and really isn't a surprise like Rowand or some of the other guys on the list.

Cowch44
02-28-2005, 05:09 PM
Where's Kerry Woods?

MUsoxfan
02-28-2005, 06:01 PM
I don't agree with Victor Martinez on that list. He was a freaking All-Star last year. All-Star players cannot be considered sleepers.

Also...I don't disagree with Branyan being on the list. He showed at the end of last year that he was ready to have a breakout.

The_Cheesiest_Idiot
02-28-2005, 11:42 PM
russell branyan? ***. the guy can only hit a fastball. once people figured that out, he stopped his "amazing" home run tear. too bad the sox STILL haven't learned that this guy can't hit a breaking pitch.

Unregistered
02-28-2005, 11:45 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050227/capt.azca10302272002.white_sox_spring_azca103.jpg

Unregistered
02-28-2005, 11:46 PM
russell branyan? ***. the guy can only hit a fastball. once people figured that out, he stopped his "amazing" home run tear. too bad the sox STILL haven't learned that this guy can't hit a breaking pitch. Wasn't Branyan an Indians prospect like 5 years ago? I didn't even know he was still in baseball...:?:

Banix12
03-01-2005, 12:26 AM
Wasn't Branyan an Indians prospect like 5 years ago? I didn't even know he was still in baseball...:?:

Yeah, he was on indians and then on the Reds for a few years. Last year when Wes Helms struggled the Brewers were desperate for power and let him start at 3rd. He's fighting for a spot this year with Helms and other castoffs like former cub Kevin Orie and former Brewer Jeff Cirillo.

paciorek1983
03-01-2005, 12:39 AM
No, I'm not putting A-Row in the Frank Thomas category. But, I remember hearing his name mentioned alot on Sox broadcasts by Hawk, when talking about goings on in the minors(just like I used to hear Frank's name alot), at least enough that I couldn't wait for the guy to get a real shot at the Major League level. So of course I;m not surprised surprised he's at least being mentioned as a sleeper. After '05, a sleeper he will be no more, but a s-t-a-r.

Clembasbal
03-01-2005, 12:44 AM
Wasn't Branyan an Indians prospect like 5 years ago? I didn't even know he was still in baseball...:?:

I am thinking it was him, but it might be Leifer...that was stuck in the toliet of some minor league team this season. Either way they are both bums.

Banix12
03-01-2005, 12:59 AM
I am thinking it was him, but it might be Leifer...that was stuck in the toliet of some minor league team this season. Either way they are both bums.

It was Liefer who got stuck in the Stall.

MUsoxfan
03-01-2005, 01:08 AM
russell branyan? ***. the guy can only hit a fastball. once people figured that out, he stopped his "amazing" home run tear. too bad the sox STILL haven't learned that this guy can't hit a breaking pitch.

http://mlb.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_137140.jpg

"Hats for bats. Keep them warm"