PDA

View Full Version : What do you think would have happened if there was no strike in 1994?

crazyozzie02
02-28-2005, 09:30 AM
This is a thread that I have been wanting to start for a long time but never got around to it. I want to pose this question to the most knowledgeble WHITE SOX FANS in the entire world. What do you think would have happened if there was no strike in 1994? The SOX were in first place and looking as strong as they had been in a long time, but then the season came to a tragic end. I think that that might have been the year, maybe not for a world series ring, but a very strong push into the playoffs. What could have only been. After that season, the SOX started to fall apart and it was peak with the "White Flag Trades" back in the season which should not be named. Just posing the question and intrested in any responses.

:graff Where are you Tony G!?!?!?! :whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

SOXintheBURGH
02-28-2005, 09:33 AM
We would have played Montreal in the World Series and won in 6 games.

Dadawg_77
02-28-2005, 09:35 AM

Then there would have been no talk of contracting the Expos, the Nationals would have never came to be or another team would have taken their place. Also the Cubs run in 2003 wouldn't have been as big since the Sox had already won the Series. Basically without the strike, baseball would be completely different today.

Fenway
02-28-2005, 09:41 AM
Lets look at how the playoffs would have played out

Yankees with best record would have played WC Cleveland instead of Texas because WS could not play Cleveland in first round. WS should beat Texas easily. Cleveland/NYY I would give to the Yankees based on the extra home game.

I would then favor the NYY in the ALCS because of home field ( remember the Bronx would have been nuts with NYY being in the playoffs for the first time since 1981 )

National

Montreal with their pitching would have made the World Series and may well have won it. If they had they might still be in Montreal today.

Baby Fisk
02-28-2005, 09:45 AM
...helped in part by the amazing comeback of Carlton Fisk, re-signed at mid-season to replace a floundering Officer Karkovice. Kark was turfed from the team when documentation revealed that he actually WAS as old as he looked: 57.

Fisk's comeback was only made possible by Jerry Reinsdorf's dramatic public apology, where he took personal responsibility and blame for numerous transgressions against the Sox. Fisk was the bigger man, and returned to the Sox determined to help bring a Championship to the South Side. Fisk carried the entire team on his shoulders through the playoffs and ended his career as World Series MVP. :bandance:

JRIG
02-28-2005, 10:03 AM
The Expos would have gone on to win the World Series and would still be playing in Montreal.

Dan H
02-28-2005, 10:40 AM
I don't know if the Sox would have gone to the Series that year, but I am convinced they would have had the PR problems that came with the cancellation of the World Series. The two teams that were hurt the most were the Expos and the White Sox.

Brian26
02-28-2005, 10:54 AM
It would have been a hell of a race in the AL Central. The Indians were just coming into their prime, and the Sox still had their gamefaces on before the '95 collapse. Man, that would have been a fun stretch run. Whether or not the Sox would have gone all the way or even won their division, it's a tragedy we didn't get to see it happen.

Hope something like that never happens again.

SpammySosa
02-28-2005, 03:14 PM
I asked Blackjack his thoughts on this subject last year at SoxFest. As a lot of you know,those autograph lines are "rush-rush" and once you reach the stage,it is over before you know it. But when I asked for his thoughts,he paused for what seemed like forever and gave a pretty thorough answer about the momentum the Sox had and how confident he was of their chances. It was great to see 10 years later that he still had that fire and passion that embodied his career,but it was also bittersweet because I think he was right about what might have been.:whiner:

TheBull19
02-28-2005, 03:51 PM
I would then favor the NYY in the ALCS because of home field ( remember the Bronx would have been nuts with NYY being in the playoffs for the first time since 1981 )

The Sox would've beat the Yanks w/ their FAR superior pitching

1. McDowell vs. Key
2. Fernandez vs. Jim Abbott
3. Alvarez vs. Melido Perez
4. Bere vs. Mulholland

DumpJerry
02-28-2005, 04:55 PM
Sox had the best pitching staff in the AL and the mojo to win the World Series. 1994 was our year, it had White Sox destiny written all over it. Remember, the Tribe of those days LOST the World Series to the Braves, a rare event.

I am still very upset at Jerry for forcing the strike that year...........:angry:

DaleJRFan
02-28-2005, 06:16 PM
I honestly feel like the strike year really disrupted Frank in terms of stringing together 7+ MVP-level years. Had he completed the 94 season, I feel like he wouldn't have lost his "most feared hitter in baseball" and "one of the purest hitters in baseball history" like he has. He didn't seem the same after 94 until he had another "standard Frank" year in 2000.

Using simple math, and accounting for the number of games the big hurt missed, lets take a look at his projected numbers for 1994:

G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO OBP SLG AVG
147 519 138 183 44 2 49 131 378 141 80 .487 .729 .353

That's pretty damn fantastic!

Sox would have won the World Series, by the way :)

Jabroni
02-28-2005, 06:20 PM
In 1994, The Sox had arguably the best pitching staff in the entire MLB and were on pace to win 96 games. I have little doubt that they would have made it to the World Series. :whiner:

cubhater
02-28-2005, 06:29 PM
IIRC, the Sox only had a two game lead over Cleveland when MLB (and JR) pulled the plug on the season. ANYTHING could've happend the last six weeks of the season, but the Sox were looking damn good.

As other posters stated, the Expos would've stayed put and not bolted to Washington. Montreal was a baseball town and supported them until the strike.

I don't think the Chicago media would've turned so negative toward the Sox. Seems like local baseball coverage was pretty fair and balanced at that time.

Our attendance definitely wouldn't have suffered like it has to this day. With the exception of early April games, I hardly remember any crowds less than 30,000, even during weekdays, since the new park opened. It's been a decade and we're not even getting close to that crowd size on a regular basis.

Parrothead
02-28-2005, 06:53 PM
IIRC, the Sox only had a two game lead over Cleveland when MLB (and JR) pulled the plug on the season. ANYTHING could've happend the last six weeks of the season, but the Sox were looking damn good.

As other posters stated, the Expos would've stayed put and not bolted to Washington. Montreal was a baseball town and supported them until the strike.

I don't think the Chicago media would've turned so negative toward the Sox. Seems like local baseball coverage was pretty fair and balanced at that time.

Our attendance definitely wouldn't have suffered like it has to this day. With the exception of early April games, I hardly remember any crowds less than 30,000, even during weekdays, since the new park opened. It's been a decade and we're not even getting close to that crowd size on a regular basis.

The Sox were 1 game up on Cleveland that year. I don't know what would hve happened but it would have ben fun to see. They had a good team that year as did Montreal.

Lip Man 1
02-28-2005, 08:24 PM
Don't forget the Royals were only I think four games out as well...anything could have happened. As far as a Sox / Yankees encounter in the regular season the Sox took 4 of 7 from New York.

As much as the labor impasse effected the Sox on the field, the results off the field were devestating to the franchise. Attendence has never returned to those levels and in my opinion, only a World Series appearance will ever bring them back to that level again.

Jerry Reinsdorf's standing among fans began a steep decline after this, highlighted again by the White Flag Trade. Which as Rich Lindberg pointed out in his exceptional story on the main page, cause more bitterness and confrontation between Sox fans and ownership.

As it turned out the MLB owners never broke the MLBPA nor did they change the economic structure of the game. The whole situation was pointless and stupid.

Typical owners.

Lip

santo=dorf
02-28-2005, 08:28 PM
The playoffs would've been interesting. Just look at the AL West. (http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL_1994.shtml)

Texas was the leader at 10 games under .500, and they would've been in last place if they were in the East or Central. The West had the 4 worst teams in the AL. :?:

batmanZoSo
02-28-2005, 08:31 PM
Lets look at how the playoffs would have played out

Yankees with best record would have played WC Cleveland instead of Texas because WS could not play Cleveland in first round. WS should beat Texas easily. Cleveland/NYY I would give to the Yankees based on the extra home game.

National

Montreal with their pitching would have made the World Series and may well have won it. If they had they might still be in Montreal today.

The Yankees of that year were never there before as a group. We were the only team in contention with playoff experience the year before or even several years before. We easily had the best pitching staff and a very formidable lineup that wasn't far behind anyone else's. The World Series would've been tough had we gotten there, but I think the AL could've easily been ours.

DumpJerry
02-28-2005, 09:22 PM

I'm sure the media was upset that the Sox deprived them of the pleasure of covering a home town World Series.

Regarding attendance, it took me about three years before I stepped foot inside Comiskey again. I just could not see myself giving Uncle Jerry any of my money after he disrespected me, the fan. I know of Sox fans who still feel enough resentment to stay away no matter what. I have yet to hear a Cub fan state they even remember the strike. But in fairness, the Cubs were going nowhere that year and their "owner" (if an individual can be called that) did not brag about being the one who could have stopped the strike. Remember, Jerry was Chair of the Labor Relations Committee for MLB. He told the Tribune Magazine that he, and he alone, is to get credit for causing the strike. He's proud of it.:angry:

paciorek1983
02-28-2005, 11:29 PM
The Sox probably would have won the Series. It might have been tough, but they were on a roll, were confident and had the talent. The early 90's was a great time to be a Sox fan. I was so proaud of our team. They seemed to be a real professional organization for the most part back then. Attendance was good and the White Sox were in the minds of the baseball world back then, not a mere afterthought like they are today. That year really changed baseball forever, especially for the Sox and the Expos, yet the strike did nothing to improve the financial situation of the smaller market teams.

Owners will be owners, they always have been, and always will be, if you know anything about the history of baseball. Regardless of what happened, I've never been angry at JR. I never decided to deprive myself of the game I love because of others stupidity. Yes, the strike hurt our franchise tremendously, but fans who still refuse to show up to the ballpark are hurting the franchise more than the strike ever did. For those who still aren't going because of the strike---get over it. JR will own the team until the day he dies, and, he might end up out-living all of those cranks who aren't going because of him.:tongue:

Corlose 15
02-28-2005, 11:54 PM
Frank Thomas would have had an absolutely awesome season. He was well on his way. I think the Sox probably would have won the pennant, the WS would be something else.

I remember thinking that the Sox would pick up right where they left off in '95,(I was 11) boy was I wrong and dissapointed.:whiner:

jdm2662
03-01-2005, 08:45 AM
I did not step foot in Comiskey until '99. That was only because my friend had his wedding party in the picnic area, and I was in the wedding. I was more interested in what I was going to eat... I ate quite a bit, so it was a good day. So, I don't count that. If it weren't for the 2000 run, I'm not sure if I be following baseball still. I still only follow the White Sox and don't care much else about baseball outside of it. The whole strike was stupid, and it really pissed me off as it did for many. For those years, I looked forward to Bears training camp because I had nothing to watch...
________
Vaporizer (http://vaporizers.net/vaporizers)

flo-B-flo
03-01-2005, 12:46 PM
I haven't gone to a game since 94. Recently I found a 'street and smith' 1995 baseball magazine in the bottom of one of my desk drawers. It is in pristine condition. I opened it for the first time when I found it. The whole thing will always have a bearing in how I feel about baseball. The Sox however, are my team. I will follow them because I am completely addicted. This will not change.......ever.

Fake Chet Lemon
03-01-2005, 01:34 PM
Doesn't anyone remember how good the Indians were that year? We may not have even won the division. They were playing excellent ball at the time. This thought helps me sleep at night anyway. Just thinking that could have been our year makes me suicidal. :whiner:

MiamiSpartan
03-01-2005, 07:11 PM
Agreed. The Sox had the team to win it all that year.

SpammySosa
03-01-2005, 07:19 PM
For those years, I looked forward to Bears training camp because I had nothing to watch...

And the Bears were just tearing it up back then.

Bisco Stu
03-02-2005, 12:12 AM
With our '93 playoff experience and superior pitching we would have won the AL pennant in 94 and certainly would have been a favorite in the World Series, even though the NL would have had homefield advantage that year.