PDA

View Full Version : Ex-mates say Pierzynski Sox' big gain

spawn
02-28-2005, 08:17 AM
FORT MYERS, Fla. -- The White Sox spent the offseason improving their pitching, defense and speed. One other element was missing -- something trickier to label.

The Sox had talent in recent years but never had the same kind of heart or fire as the Minnesota Twins.

Enter catcher A.J. Pierzynski.

His signing with the White Sox was controversial. And guess who was miffed the most.

That's right, the Twins. ''I don't like the fact that the White Sox got him,'' Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said. ''He's straight game-on. He's going to help that team. I'd rather have seen him gone someplace else.''
Complete Article (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-aj28.html)

balke
02-28-2005, 09:36 AM
Complete Article (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-aj28.html)

As far as position players go, plugging the right field hole was the most important thing we did IMO, but Pierzynski was our biggest pickup. Dye is going to strike out a lot out there, which I'm sure will be bothersome during the season, but he's a heck of a lot better than Borchard starting the season opener.

A.J. is probably the best acquisition as far as picking up a good ballplayer. I can not wait any longer for spring training.

Palehose13
02-28-2005, 10:05 AM
I can not wait any longer for spring training.

:?: You don't have to. :wink:

Lem_Siddons
02-28-2005, 11:22 AM
With all the changes that have happened, the first relationship AJ needs to establish iare with the pitchers. After that the Kong - AJ duo has to be strong. Hopefully, they will have time to establish themselves as the leaders in the clubhouse before Frank arrives. I noticed in one of today's Sun Times articles that Ozzie was complaining about the Frank - Lee - Maggs whining. One is still here.

fusillirob1983
02-28-2005, 11:47 AM
Kong?

Randar68
02-28-2005, 12:56 PM
As far as position players go, plugging the right field hole was the most important thing we did IMO, but Pierzynski was our biggest pickup. Dye is going to strike out a lot out there, which I'm sure will be bothersome during the season, but he's a heck of a lot better than Borchard starting the season opener.

IIRC Dye was also in the top 5 or 10 in baseball in pitches per PA... Makes the K's a lot less bothersome if he's actually working the pitcher and the count often. Most high-K guys also swing early and often running down the # of pitches they see.

Dye staying healthy, with a healthy shoulder and knee is the biggest key, IMO.

AJ was a big pickup. His defensive game is just average, but attitude wise and at the plate, a HUGE upgrade from the Davis/Burke disaster-in-waiting.

Cubbiesuck13
02-28-2005, 01:05 PM
With all the changes that have happened, the first relationship AJ needs to establish iare with the pitchers. After that the Kong - AJ duo has to be strong. Hopefully, they will have time to establish themselves as the leaders in the clubhouse before Frank arrives. I noticed in one of today's Sun Times articles that Ozzie was complaining about the Frank - Lee - Maggs whining. One is still here.

I was wondering about that Frank comment as well. I don't know if it was meant towards Frank's comment about his contract or the issue of him not being on the bench when he had no ankle. I hope Frank continues his media boycott, there isn't any winning with the media when you are a Chicago White Sox. The Oz makes some pretty strange comments. I imagine some of his quotes are guesses by the writer.

mdep524
02-28-2005, 01:10 PM
Kong?
Kong = Konerko

Lem_Siddons
02-28-2005, 06:38 PM
Kong?

Konerko is arguably the strongest leader in the clubhouse and an elder statesman at this point. If those two get along and magnify their positive qualities and down play some of the crap, we may just have a pretty solid "clubhouse atmosphere". I don't think it is as important to get along with Crede, A-Row, Uribe, etc.

fusillirob1983
02-28-2005, 07:33 PM
Konerko is arguably the strongest leader in the clubhouse and an elder statesman at this point. If those two get along and magnify their positive qualities and down play some of the crap, we may just have a pretty solid "clubhouse atmosphere". I don't think it is as important to get along with Crede, A-Row, Uribe, etc.

I'm not questioning that Konerko is a leader of this team, I just didn't know who you were referring to as Kong.

Lem_Siddons
02-28-2005, 09:01 PM
I'm not questioning that Konerko is a leader of this team, I just didn't know who you were referring to as Kong.

Sorry. Habit from talking with my friends about the Sox.