PDA

View Full Version : Torri Hunter Speaks Out

Bucky F. Dent
02-28-2005, 08:49 AM
Under the guise of being a "straight shooter", Hunter blasted the Twin management on ESPN Radio this weekend talking about how they'd gotten rid of the left side of the infield without doing anything to replace them.

He went on to talk about the frustration of seeing the team slowly dismantled citing the loss of Mientkewicz and LaTroy Hawkins.

Looks like there may be some cracks showing in Twinkie Land! Always nice to see the main opponents team leader turning his guns on his own ship before the season has even started.:D:

Funny thing was that the Hunter interview was on Saturday, and on Sunday Gammons said the Twins had had the best offseason in the AL Central.

Thanks Andy Jackson, thanks alot!:bs:

SOXSINCE'70
02-28-2005, 08:59 AM
Funny thing was that the Hunter interview was on Saturday, and on Sunday Gammons said the Twins had had the best offseason in the AL Central.

Yeah,the Sox did nothing.They anchored their rotation and their
bullpen,redid their outfield,and that's not much. If it ain't about
the Blow Sawx,forget it.:angry: :angry: :angry:

Bucky F. Dent
02-28-2005, 09:12 AM
Another interesting spin on this is that the Twins (i.e. Gardenhire and Hunter) are talking up A.J., and how they wish that he had not gone to the Sox...this in today's Sun Times.

The other part of that article talks about how Guillen was pissed after Carlos Lee failed to go hard into second base against the Twins after Hunter ko'ed Burke.

Hadn't heard anything about this til now. Wonder how much of an influence it was on the decision to deal Lee?

idseer
02-28-2005, 09:18 AM
this is just another reason to like hunter imo. the man is a fighter and not afraid to say what he thinks. he's a winner.

DaveIsHere
02-28-2005, 10:49 AM
I ahve a feeling the Sox are going to really embarass the Twins this year

Dadawg_77
02-28-2005, 10:57 AM
Good thing for ma-gaga that Hunter isn't the GM. Guzman wasn't worth was Washington paid him and Punto has a good chance to be better. The Twins upgraded at first with Morneau and Cuddyer should be better the Koskie. So the Twins freed up a bunch of a salary which they used to ink Santana. While I am not sure if this best off season, it is a pretty good one for Terry Ryan and company.

Jabroni
02-28-2005, 11:14 AM
The funny thing is that Torii will probably be the next one to be traded. There's no way in hell the Twinkies pay Torii $10.75 million in 2006.

FightingBillini
02-28-2005, 11:45 AM
The funny thing is that Torii will probably be the next one to be traded. There's no way in hell the Twinkies pay Torii $10.75 million in 2006.

Who will pay him that? If you are going to pay $10.75 mil for centerfielder with no bat, you might as well pop the extra $3 mil and get Andruw Jones. He is slightly better defensively, and he is a good hitter.

ma-gaga
02-28-2005, 11:56 AM
Hunter hates seeing his teammates go away to greener pastures. But he understands that this is the game that this team plays. It's all about money and keeping that payroll under $55MM.

Guzman was paid twice as much and twice as long as he should have been. Losing Koskie was a blow. But the guy is 31 years old with a bad back. The Twins lowballed him, but in hindsight, they'll probably be proven that the contract that he signed was too much and for too long.

T.Hunter made another reference to growing up in "the hood" this weekend, I'm a little surprised it hasn't shown up here yet. :cool: Everyone here really seems to like a good 'Torii in da hood' story.

Flight #24
02-28-2005, 12:09 PM
Good thing for ma-gaga that Hunter isn't the GM. Guzman wasn't worth was Washington paid him and Punto has a good chance to be better. The Twins upgraded at first with Morneau and Cuddyer should be better the Koskie. So the Twins freed up a bunch of a salary which they used to ink Santana. While I am not sure if this best off season, it is a pretty good one for Terry Ryan and company.

Huh? In an injury year, Koskie put up a .837 OPS whereas in about 100 fewer ABs, Cuddyer put up .779. Saying that he "should be better" is a HUGE stretch. And Guzman's being a bad signing in terms of $$$ doesn't mean that Punto's going to be better. Punto's best AA years posted an OPS in the low 700s, whereas Guzman's been fairly consistently in the high 600s. I think it's a stretch to say Nick will be anything but equivalent at best in 2005, and more likely he'll be in the mid-600s.

Re-inking Santana is a great move, as was reinking Radke. The question is what you're defining as a "great offseason". Did the team improve from last year - IMO nope. They'll get a full year from Morneau and possibly Mauer, but they have huge ??s on the left side of the IF, so they pretty much stayed flat.

Cubbiesuck13
02-28-2005, 02:15 PM
Another interesting spin on this is that the Twins (i.e. Gardenhire and Hunter) are talking up A.J., and how they wish that he had not gone to the Sox...this in today's Sun Times.

The other part of that article talks about how Guillen was pissed after Carlos Lee failed to go hard into second base against the Twins after Hunter ko'ed Burke.

Hadn't heard anything about this til now. Wonder how much of an influence it was on the decision to deal Lee?

The Oz made comments that was factor during SoxFest. Many posters here cried about him making those comments. When Hunter comes out and says everyone on the Twins were suprised that he came in weak I think it shows The Oz was right.

Dadawg_77
02-28-2005, 02:48 PM
Huh? In an injury year, Koskie put up a .837 OPS whereas in about 100 fewer ABs, Cuddyer put up .779. Saying that he "should be better" is a HUGE stretch. And Guzman's being a bad signing in terms of $$$ doesn't mean that Punto's going to be better. Punto's best AA years posted an OPS in the low 700s, whereas Guzman's been fairly consistently in the high 600s. I think it's a stretch to say Nick will be anything but equivalent at best in 2005, and more likely he'll be in the mid-600s.

Re-inking Santana is a great move, as was reinking Radke. The question is what you're defining as a "great offseason". Did the team improve from last year - IMO nope. They'll get a full year from Morneau and possibly Mauer, but they have huge ??s on the left side of the IF, so they pretty much stayed flat.

I wouldn't use OPS to compare Guzman and Punto. Both had very little power but Guzman has a tad bit more then Punto. But Punto is better at getting on base then Guzman. I see Punto putting up a .325 - .350 OBP this year, which will be more valuable then Guzman .300 OBP and .390 SLG.

Baby Fisk
02-28-2005, 02:57 PM
Hunter hates seeing his teammates go away to greener pastures.
Hunter keeps crowing about this "hood" he grew up in -- I'm sure he goes to bed every night dreaming about replacing Bernie Williams in the Bronx.

Flight #24
02-28-2005, 03:08 PM
I wouldn't use OPS to compare Guzman and Punto. Both had very little power but Guzman has a tad bit more then Punto. But Punto is better at getting on base then Guzman. I see Punto putting up a .325 - .350 OBP this year, which will be more valuable then Guzman .300 OBP and .390 SLG.

They're both low-power guys, but is 20-odd points of OBP worth an offsetting 50-75points in SLG? Either way, they're both not all that good - unless you were a big fan of Willie Harris. Guzman's overpaid, yes, but being a similar player cheaper doesn't mean that it's an upgrade over last year.

Cubbiesuck13
02-28-2005, 03:18 PM
Hunter keeps crowing about this "hood" he grew up in -- I'm sure he goes to bed every night dreaming about replacing Bernie Williams in the Bronx.

I don't know if you guys realize but there are ghettos in the south. A guy I work with is from Hunter's hometown and agreed that it has parts that are pretty rough.

ma-gaga
02-28-2005, 03:35 PM
I don't know if you guys realize but there are ghettos in the south. A guy I work with is from Hunter's hometown and agreed that it has parts that are pretty rough.

Yeah, someone looked up Pine Bluff, AR a couple of months ago and found out that the per capital Murder rate is something like 2-3 times the national average.

Here it is. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=460339&postcount=61)

:cool: But I'm just saying...

AZChiSoxFan
02-28-2005, 03:52 PM
Yeah, someone looked up Pine Bluff, AK a couple of months ago and found out that the per capital Murder rate is something like 2-3 times the national average.

Arkansas is AR

Alaska is AK

D. TODD
02-28-2005, 03:55 PM
Yeah, someone looked up Pine Bluff, AK a couple of months ago and found out that the per capital Murder rate is something like 2-3 times the national average.

Here it is. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=460339&postcount=61)

:cool: But I'm just saying... No doubt Pine Bluff is a rough low income, high crime area, that qualifies as the hood. I don't think Tori is glorifying it, but instead uses it to show that he isn't concerned with fans booing and that stuff. He originally caught all the flack from saying a Sox fan was threatening to come after him after his play against Burke, and he laughed saying "he had a bat in his hand and is from the hood". That the drunk fan really didn't want to come after him. As for the Twins, on paper I don't like their team very much, but until we can beat them I will give them respect as the team to beat in our division.

Foulke You
02-28-2005, 03:58 PM
What? No chirping from Hunter about the Sox perceived "dissing" and blatant "disrespect" for the Twins??!! Can it be? Will this be the first Spring Training ever where the Sox aren't somehow guilty of this in the eyes of the Twins? Usually that "nobody respects us or gives us a chance" crap is front and center in Twins camp.

Here is a sneak preview of what I expect to hear before the first Sox/Twins series: "That Tadahito Iguchi disrespects us left and right, I overheard his translator saying that he thinks the White Sox are the best team in the AL Central. Well, that's just the way its been man. We don't get any respect! First people want to contract us, the Sox think they are the best, now we're getting dissed by the Japanese. We're used to it man! I'm from the hood so this isn't anything new for me."

:cool:

ChiSoxRowand
02-28-2005, 04:43 PM

Isn't Jason Bartlett starting at short for the Twins?

RedPinStripes
02-28-2005, 08:06 PM
The Twins might be falling apart, Sox fan think we're going to crush them this year. I'm not getting in on any of that. Every year since 01' I've been saying the Twins are done. They just dont go away. I'll talk trash late in the season if the time is right.

ma-gaga
03-01-2005, 05:24 AM
Isn't Jason Bartlett starting at short for the Twins?

Punto has the inside track, because Gardenhire likes his hustle/defense. T.Ryan wants Bartlett to get the gig, but he's LIKELY to start in AAA to get some "seasoning" and to work on his defense (and push back his arbitration clock). Bartlett is LIKELY a late June/early July callup.

It's possible Bartlett will win the starting job in spring training, just highly unlikely. The Twins just don't hand out starting positions to rookies.

Unless they were a #1 overall pick...