PDA

View Full Version : Mlb Tv

jake27
02-27-2005, 03:33 AM
im thinking about getting it for the season so i wont miss a game while im still here up at college. anyoe done this before? how good is it (i dont want it fuzzy or ne thing like that). any other info i might need to know would be great

samram
02-27-2005, 03:57 AM
I think there are some other threads on this, but I did it last summer and it was alright. It runs about 30-40 seconds behind the cable feed, but it's better than nothing. The only thing I didn't like was having games blacked out on Saturdays if Fox was broadcasting.

SoxxoS
02-27-2005, 01:58 PM
Just have a fast modem...if you are dial up, just forget it.

SOX ADDICT '73
02-27-2005, 03:07 PM
I got a free month's subscription last July from ComCast, and it was really cool. It was fun watching the Sox win on TV while watching the Twins and Indians lose on my laptop. As has already been said, the national TV blackouts (even if the game isn't being broadcast in your area) are annoying, and they won't let you watch Sox games online that can be viewed on any local TV or cable station. So, the few times the Sox were playing while I was at work, or at my in-laws (who have broadband internet but no cable TV - go figure), I couldn't watch. But I wasn't complaining, since it was free! I was totally ready to re-up for the rest of the season, but the end of July is when the Sox went into a tailspin. They lost seven straight games to Minnesota and Detroit, effectively throwing away the division, and I just sorta stopped caring what the other teams were doing.

Ol' No. 2
02-27-2005, 06:18 PM
I got a free month's subscription last July from ComCast, and it was really cool. It was fun watching the Sox win on TV while watching the Twins and Indians lose on my laptop. As has already been said, the national TV blackouts (even if the game isn't being broadcast in your area) are annoying, and they won't let you watch Sox games online that can be viewed on any local TV or cable station. So, the few times the Sox were playing while I was at work, or at my in-laws (who have broadband internet but no cable TV - go figure), I couldn't watch. But I wasn't complaining, since it was free! I was totally ready to re-up for the rest of the season, but the end of July is when the Sox went into a tailspin. They lost seven straight games to Minnesota and Detroit, effectively throwing away the division, and I just sorta stopped caring what the other teams were doing.How do they black out games only in certain areas if it's on the internet? How do they let someone in LA watch it but stop someone in Chicago?

SOX ADDICT '73
02-27-2005, 06:35 PM
How do they black out games only in certain areas if it's on the internet? How do they let someone in LA watch it but stop someone in Chicago?
Because it's NOT on the internet. If a game in any market is on "national television" (i.e. Fox Saturday or ESPN during the week), MLB-TV will not air it. So, on a Saturday afternoon, you may want to watch Twins vs. Yankees, but if Fox decides to broadcast Padres vs. Dodgers in your area, that's what you'll get. You can't watch the other game online. That, and the fact that you can only get the radio feed for some games, are my only complaints about MLB-TV.

Nard
02-27-2005, 06:59 PM
MLB.TV is awesome. Quality is as good as you're gonna get for a live feed over the internet. Well worth the cost... especially if you like to watch other teams' games on occasion.

Ol' No. 2
02-27-2005, 07:17 PM
Because it's NOT on the internet. If a game in any market is on "national television" (i.e. Fox Saturday or ESPN during the week), MLB-TV will not air it. So, on a Saturday afternoon, you may want to watch Twins vs. Yankees, but if Fox decides to broadcast Padres vs. Dodgers in your area, that's what you'll get. You can't watch the other game online. That, and the fact that you can only get the radio feed for some games, are my only complaints about MLB-TV.I thought it was blacked out in certain areas by zip code? Am I thinking of something else?

santo=dorf
02-27-2005, 07:24 PM
I thought it was blacked out in certain areas by zip code? Am I thinking of something else?

It is. I think they are able to figure out the Zip Code of your IP because last year my friend and I tried to watch Cubs and Sox games on WCIU under the account of someone who registered in Boston.

Didn't work.

SOX ADDICT '73
02-27-2005, 09:17 PM
I thought it was blacked out in certain areas by zip code? Am I thinking of something else?
Sorry, No. 2, I misunderstood your original question. We're talking about two different things. I'm not sure exactly how they prevent someone in Chicago from watching a typical (that is, non-nationally televised) Sox game online when a person in LA can see it no problem. I suspect Santo is onto something with his IP/zip code theory.