PDA

View Full Version : Embarassing Admission

BRDSR
02-26-2005, 09:27 PM
I have to admit something here on WSI so I can get it off my chest and feel absolved of my White Sox fandom sins. For at least a year I've been under the impression that the Twins have won the division for the last four years. The last couple days I read a few posts that said the Twins have won it the last three years, so I went back to the historic standings and of course, it turns out the Indians won the division in 2001 with 91 wins, the Twins were second with 85, and the Sox were 3rd with 83. Where did my mind go? Why did I equate 2000 with the official end of the dominating Indians era and at the same time, 2001 as the beginning of the Twins dominating era? Is anyone else guilty of this, or is it just me?

chisoxmike
02-26-2005, 09:43 PM
I knew the Indians won it in 2001, the Sox season was a complete disaster.

You are forgiven my son.

RKMeibalane
02-26-2005, 09:55 PM
That's not a big deal. A lot of the posters here think the Twins won the division in 2001. The Indians haven't been a contending team for several seasons, and so their brief resurgence that season is often overlooked.

Whitesox029
02-26-2005, 10:00 PM
That's not a big deal. A lot of the posters here think the Twins won the division in 2001. The Indians haven't been a contending team for several seasons, and so their brief resurgence that season is often overlooked.
Also, 2001 was the first year that the twins contended, and in truth, no one expected them to. They were to finish last like they had been doing the last 5 years or so before that. As for it being embarassing to your Sox fandom, I don't think so. If you thought the twins won in 2000 then yeah, but when I read the first line of your post I thought you were going to say that you secretly rooted for the cubs too. Don't scare me like that!

MRKARNO
02-26-2005, 10:15 PM
You're certainly forgiven. The 2001 Indians were not a very notable team. They only won 91 games and ran into the 116 win Seattle Mariners in the first round of the playoffs. This also happened after the 2000 White Sox, so it tends to be forgotten because we ended the Indians run that year, but they won again in 2001.

On the list of WSI sins (and there are many), this ranks extremely low.

Frank the Tank
02-26-2005, 10:42 PM
Thinking about the 2001 Indians and following 3-time AL Central Division Champs (Twins), just makes me want to puke. This division is terrible. I hope 2005 is the beginning of the White Sox dominance in the AL Central.

Soxzilla
02-26-2005, 10:44 PM
Don't feel bad. I forgot the White Sox had won in 1917 in one of the threads.

Ending up being a POTW.:cool: (Well, the guy pointing it out to me at least;)).

oeo
02-26-2005, 10:49 PM
If you thought the twins won in 2000 then yeah, but when I read the first line of your post I thought you were going to say that you secretly rooted for the cubs too. Don't scare me like that!

LOL, me too! I seriously thought he was going to say that he was a Cubs fan. That was scary.

Lem_Siddons
02-26-2005, 10:56 PM
It just proves a point, it really doesn't matter who we lose to. If we're going to finish second, I could care less.

RichFitztightly
02-26-2005, 11:17 PM
I'm pretty certain I've read articles where members of the media have made the same mistake. I can't link to any off-hand, but I'm certain they're out there. On top of that, these guys get paid to know those facts.

SOX ADDICT '73
02-26-2005, 11:19 PM
Also, 2001 was the first year that the twins contended, and in truth, no one expected them to. They were to finish last like they had been doing the last 5 years or so before that.
I'd like to get my hands on whoever talked MLB out of contracting those b***ards! Is it too late? Can we make it retroactive to 2002?

Lip Man 1
02-27-2005, 01:03 PM
Sox 73:

You may get your wish right after the CBA expires in 2006. The Twins still do not have any new stadium deal.

Lip

SOX ADDICT '73
02-27-2005, 01:05 PM
Sox 73:

You may get your wish right after the CBA expires in 2006. The Twins still do not have any new stadium deal.

Lip
Oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please...

JGarlandrules20
02-27-2005, 01:16 PM
For at least a year I've been under the impression that the Twins have won the division for the last four years.
The whole "3-peat" thing that Twins fans would say made me quite aware that this was their 3rd in a row division crown.

jdm2662
02-27-2005, 01:17 PM
Sox 73:

Lip

They are never going to get one unless they pony up the money which they won't do. The city nor state will not give them a free stadium again, same with the Vikings.
________
Blowjob Redhead (http://www.****tube.com/categories/358/redhead/videos/1)

chisoxmike
02-27-2005, 01:30 PM
The whole "3-peat" thing that Twins fans would say made me quite aware that this was their 3rd in a row division crown.

I was at that dreadful game last season where the Twins won the divison. A Twins fan leaving was walking up the aisle not saying anything but just putting up three fingers to the sox fans.

I put up one finger to him. :tongue:

Ol' No. 2
02-27-2005, 03:47 PM
I have to admit something here on WSI so I can get it off my chest and feel absolved of my White Sox fandom sins. For at least a year I've been under the impression that the Twins have won the division for the last four years. The last couple days I read a few posts that said the Twins have won it the last three years, so I went back to the historic standings and of course, it turns out the Indians won the division in 2001 with 91 wins, the Twins were second with 85, and the Sox were 3rd with 83. Where did my mind go? Why did I equate 2000 with the official end of the dominating Indians era and at the same time, 2001 as the beginning of the Twins dominating era? Is anyone else guilty of this, or is it just me?You know what I remember about it? Jerry Manuel sitting the Sept callups on the bench so he could try to catch the Twins for second place.:angry: