View Full Version : NYT: White Sox Shed Power for a Shot at First Place

DrCrawdad
02-26-2005, 09:09 PM
ON BASEBALL

White Sox Shed Power for a Shot at First Place

By MURRAY CHASS

Published: February 27, 2005

TAMPA, Fla.

NEW catcher, new second baseman, two new outfielders, new starting pitcher, two new relief pitchers. Those are some serious roster changes for a team that finished in second place last season. Why did the Chicago White Sox do all of that?

"To avoid second place again," General Manager Kenny Williams said. "I'm tired of finishing second."

After three successive second-place finishes to the Minnesota Twins, the White Sox would like to copy a page from their recent history. They finished second the last four years of the 1990's, then won the American League Central title in 2000.

History hasn't been kind to the White Sox. The Boston Red Sox and the "1918" chant that used to plague them had nothing on the White Sox, who haven't won the World Series since 1917. Even worse, they have played in only two World Series since, one of those the 1919 event that they would like to forget...

New York Times, February 27, 2005 (http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/27/sports/baseball/27chass.html?)
If you're required to register to view the article, try going to BugMeNot.com.

mjmcend
02-26-2005, 10:01 PM
That is one of the best articles I have read about the Sox. It is shocking to me, but this guy actually seemed to do some research before putting ink to the page. I think I am going to email him and thank him for actually putting thought and effoert into his work.

ozzman
02-26-2005, 10:02 PM
id: rkramden
p: busdriver

Whitesox029
02-26-2005, 10:10 PM
id: rkramden
p: busdriver
shouldn't that be "dusbriver"?

I think this is the first article I have read in which every one of the Sox major additions was named by name.

MRKARNO
02-26-2005, 10:11 PM
Excellent quick overview of what the White Sox have done this offseason. This writer clearly did the little work necessary to figure out what this team was trying to do this offseason. Digging up Kenny Williams' quotes was the best way to do this. Props to Murray Chass on an article much better than those of most of the sports-only publications.

DrCrawdad
02-27-2005, 06:43 AM
Excellent quick overview of what the White Sox have done this offseason. This writer clearly did the little work necessary to figure out what this team was trying to do this offseason. Digging up Kenny Williams' quotes was the best way to do this. Props to Murray Chass on an article much better than those of most of the sports-only publications.

I agree with the comments by you and "mjmcend." Good job Mr. Chass!

minastirith67
02-27-2005, 08:35 AM

Perhaps the NYTimes is more of a classier paper than say SI or ESPN. Hard to believe the Jayson Blair thing really put them in such a bad light.

The Critic
02-27-2005, 09:30 AM
A pessimist would ( and probably WILL ) point out that KW did not specifically mention that he wants to finish FIRST, and that finishing 3rd or 4th also qualifies as "avoiding second place". :D:
I, however, am NOT that pessimist.....at least not yet.....:redneck

batmanZoSo
02-27-2005, 10:18 AM
See, we can be happy with a journalist's efforts.

johnny_mostil
02-27-2005, 11:02 AM
That is one of the best articles I have read about the Sox. It is shocking to me, but this guy actually seemed to do some research before putting ink to the page. I think I am going to email him and thank him for actually putting thought and effoert into his work.

Yeah... except for one thing that just drives me nuts.

The White Sox willingly relinquished 25 percent of their 2004 home run total, letting Jose Valentin (30) leave as a free agent and trading Carlos Lee (31) to Milwaukee for three players, including Scott Podsednik, who led the major leagues with 70 stolen bases.

Everybody -- and I mean everybody -- writes as if this means the White Sox actually surrendered 61 home runs. As if the players who replace them -- effectively Iguchi and Podsednik -- are going to hit no home runs. The problem is, between the two of them, those two will probably hit 25-30 homers in the Cell. What got surrendered is being wildly exaggerated.

batmanZoSo
02-27-2005, 11:23 AM
Yeah... except for one thing that just drives me nuts.

Everybody -- and I mean everybody -- writes as if this means the White Sox actually surrendered 61 home runs. As if the players who replace them -- effectively Iguchi and Podsednik -- are going to hit no home runs. The problem is, between the two of them, those two will probably hit 25-30 homers in the Cell. What got surrendered is being wildly exaggerated.

And this guy cites Valentin as a guy we might actually miss. Anything to replace those strikeouts and inability to make any impact whatsoever when right handed (about 30% of the time or more).

Thank GOD he's gone. As for Lee, we won't miss a big slow power hitting left fielder. If he was a superstar, it would be different, but .290 with 30 homers isn't anything to write home about unless you play center or catcher...and well.

This is an unusually good article nonetheless, but I agree with you that we have heard this power stuff too many times.

Palehose13
02-27-2005, 12:36 PM
Great article. I like how it was pointed out that it was not only a "Lee for Podsednik" deal, but Lee for Pods, Vizcaino, AJ, and El Duque deal (maybe even Iguchi too).

For those bitching about the writer stating that the Sox have lost power...they have. But it isn't necessarily a bad thing and I think the author makes that point as well.