PDA

View Full Version : White Sox-Twins as intense as Yankees-Red Sox

DrCrawdad
02-25-2005, 10:15 PM
How to win friends and influence Bostonians, by Doug Eyechart...

Sneaking out of town with "the" baseball was one thing and Doug Mientkiewicz probably did something a lot of players would have done. But did you begin to wonder about the guy when he said, "That [Sox-Yankees rivalry] wasn't all it was cracked up to be as far as I was concerned . . . I still say the Twins-White Sox series were just as intense as that one." Twins-White Sox? Yo, Doug. Where were you last October? Did they traditionally ring the Metrodome field with police in riot gear at the end of those Twins-White Sox jousts? - By Dan Shaughnessy, Globe Columnist *|* February 25, 2005 (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/02/25/long_tossing_around_some_random_thoughts/)

Fake Chet Lemon
02-25-2005, 10:19 PM
Appreciate the mention Doug, but the next post season Twins-White Sox battle with be the FIRST.....I guess that ball meant a lot to you. Bitter, bitter.

wsoxfan
02-25-2005, 10:24 PM
The writer also forgot to mention that the whole police in riot gear on the field seemed pretty ridiculous and pointless. There was no reason for them to be there, my roomates brother was at that game and he said the same thing. I'd say the white sox-twins series is just as intense if not more but since they don't play on the east coast the media doesn't really care too much to give it that much attention. People on the east coast think major league baseball consists of 2 teams, Yankees and Red Sox but don't realize that people outside the east coast don't really give a crap about either one of those teams....

SoxFan76
02-25-2005, 10:26 PM
In the past few years, the actual on field battles have been pretty intense. No, Twins/Sox games don't have armed security lining the field, Twins/Sox series don't have a bunch of childish name calling flooding the papers every morning, but the 2 teams play hard against each other. It's great baseball. Red Sox/Yankees has just turned into an overhyped boxing match.

Can't deny the history though, don't get me wrong. I'm talking the past few years only.

Alanzo
02-25-2005, 10:31 PM
Give me a break. The Twins don't even have an equitable city nor fan base compared to Boston/NYC/Chicago.

I disagree.

Baby Fisk
02-28-2005, 09:15 AM
Shaughnessy is an ass. Pay him no heed.

Fenway
02-28-2005, 09:21 AM
Hey his favorite player is on the White Sox :tongue:

http://digamma.net/btfwiki/index.php/CHB (http://digamma.net/btfwiki/index.php/CHB)

CHB

From Baseball Think Factory Wiki, the free encyclopedia.

CHB refers to Dan Shaughnessy, Bahston Globe umm... "reporter" (actually, a columnist).

The term was coined by Carl Everett (http://digamma.net/btfwiki/index.php/Carl_Everett), while complaining about reporters who criticized him, referring to "[Gordon] Edes and his curly-haired boyfriend". This was shortened to CHB (by Red Sox messageboard die hards at sonsofsamhorn.com, ****ing Bill Simmons had nothing to do with this and people who think he did should get their internet nose out of the cliched and tired Simmons' ass. He does not represent all that is Red Sox or Boston.) and became the popular way to refer to Shaughnessy.

Shaughnessy is best known for writing The Curse of the Bambino, which apparently aggravated a lot of Red Sox (http://digamma.net/btfwiki/index.php/Red_Sox) fans and almost single-handedly created the mainstream media (http://digamma.net/btfwiki/index.php?title=Mainstream_media&action=edit) obsession with The Curse, an obsession that dominated East Coast navel-gazing baseball journalism in the early 2000s.

CHB is also known as the "Curly-Haired Cursemonger" and "Shank" (for backstabbing Glenn Ordway, the host of WEEI's The Big Show, by stating that he refused to go on the show because it was offensive while he was, in fact, positioning himself for a job at a rival station. CHB's refusal to appear was in part responsible for the Globe banning its writers from appearing on WEEI's morning and afternoon drive time shows, which was responsilbe for the station's complete ban on all Globe writers).

Among a group of Boston sports fans that derive pleasure from hating the members of their local media, CHB is loathed for his continual characterization of Sox diehards as miserable people who would never be happy if their team won it all, when in fact it's apparent only Shaughnessy himself fits this profile. His profiting off the numerous Sox near-misses by writing his book has also rubbed many people the wrong way. With the Red Sox' victory in the 2004 World Series (http://digamma.net/btfwiki/index.php/World_Series), Shaughnessy's sports relevance will undoubtedly fade.

Most whisperings suggest that CHB is hated also by most of the Boston media for the same reasons the fans hate him.

You could fill a phonebook with other reasons to hate CHB:
He co-hosts a radio show with the despicable Mike Barnicle.
He penned a hatchet job in 2004 when Nomar Garciaparra was traded.
He belittles his readers if they disagree and he refuses to consider any advanced baseball stats.
He called Jose Offerman a piece of junk, thus offending pieces of junk across the world.
He criticized the David Ortiz acquisition and called him a "sack of you know what."
He made a thinly veiled swipe at the Sports Guy (Bill Simmons), which was the result of petty jealousy.
He questioned whether Pedro Martinez (http://digamma.net/btfwiki/index.php/Pedro_Martinez) was actually sick when he missed a start in 2003. Pedro was in the hospital receiving fluids through an IV.
While he tends to blast away at players indiscriminately, the only derisive nicknames he's handed out have all gone to players of color.
One good thing about CHB: He answers emails. He once even gave a Primate his telephone number and told him to call so they could discuss his emailed question.

LVSoxFan
02-28-2005, 10:10 AM
This is absurd: Sox/Twins on a par with BoSox/Yankees?

The reality is the big passion here is for Sox/Cubs when they play--only that could be comparable to the East coast historic rivalry. And it ignores the fact that, as much as we hate the Twins, they always beat us when it counts.

The Yankees/BoSox thing has been much more evenly matched, and finally Boston pulled it out last year, the year before blowing it with only five outs away from the World Series (sound familiar?).

We've never even been in that position with Minnesota. Even the Tori Hunter thing didn't stir the fans or even the Sox.

Realist
02-28-2005, 10:28 AM
I think he was probably refering to the rivalry the players feel towards each other and not so much what the fans and media hype say. Although I respect most Twins fans that I meet, from what I understand, the Sox and Twins players really hated each other and the f-bombs flew fast and furious on the field when the teams met.

Palehose13
02-28-2005, 10:32 AM
I think he was probably refering to the rivalry the players feel towards each other and not so much what the fans and media hype say. Although I respect most Twins fans that I meet, from what I understand, the Sox and Twins players really hated each other and the f-bombs flew fast and furious on the field when the teams met.

I agree. NY-BOS is a storied rivalry, but I always had the feeling that the Twins-Sox players HATE each other (much like cards-Prior) and that is why all the speculation about AJ joining the Sox. Was there as much speculation when Clemens went to NY or any other player fron that rivalry swapped sides?

Sox-Twins is fairly new and will end as soon as the Twins fade. Much like the Cleveland rivalry of the late 90's and the A's rivalry of the early 90's.

SoxFan78
02-28-2005, 10:57 AM
We've never even been in that position with Minnesota. Even the Tori Hunter thing didn't stir the fans or even the Sox.

I don't know where you are pulling your facts that the Torii Hunter didnt stir the emotions of Sox fans when he bowled over Jamie Burke, I was at that game, and the whole stadium was calling for Hunter's head. Remember when the fans behind Torii Hunter yelling insults at him and Hunter almost went into the stands.

I also remember talk radio being lit up by fans complaining about how the Sox didn't do anything to retaliate, and how it was a bush league thing to for what Torii Hunter did.

So even though the Sox didn't care what Hunter did, dont dare say the fans didn't.

spawn
02-28-2005, 11:03 AM
There is no way the Twins-White Sox is as intense as the Yankees-Red Sox rivalry. That rivalry has been going on for decades. The Twins-Sox rivalry has benn going on for maybe a decade.

balke
02-28-2005, 11:13 AM
I think they yankees-sox are overhyped, but that seems to fuel it all. They probably have more hate, but not by leaps and bounds or anything. Make no mistake, twins-sox are big time foes, yanks-sox probably take that one though.

Anyone remember last season's first series where Frank took some high and tights, and never charged? That angers me. I'm all about setting a good example as an icon, but I could never take the crap he takes on the field. I would like this to be the year our team grows a pair.

24thStFan
02-28-2005, 12:09 PM
Rivalry? What rivalry? I was at the game the day after this happened and the fans were still all over Mr. Hunter. Unfortunately, nothing happened to him that game either and the season was effectively over.
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2361