PDA

View Full Version : Adkins to start spring opener; may be converted to starter

Jabroni
02-25-2005, 06:35 PM
"Adkins to start spring opener
Right-handed reliever may be converted to starter"
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20050225&content_id=950607&vkey=spt2005news&fext=.jsp

Good idea since we lack starter depth in the minors and we have no room for Adkins in the bullpen.

balke
02-25-2005, 06:41 PM
I heard that on the Radio earlier. What does that mean? Is it normal bubble pitchers, or minor leaguers start the opening ST game?

That's a serious question cause I dont' know, I usually only pick up on ST with a week or two left, and rarely pay attention to who's pitching.

This doesn't mean Adkins is better than one of our top 5's right now does it?

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-25-2005, 06:47 PM
I agree with you about this being a good move. Our bullpen is stacked and it doesn't appear to have any room for Adkins. I'd rather see Cotts get converted back into a starter, but he's a lefty unlike Adkins so he'll probably have a spot in the bullpen once again this season. I'm sure this is just to put more depth into readily available starters at AAA incase of an injury. If Adkins has to be down in AAA this season, he might as well be a SP rather than an RP. Wasn't he originally a starter when we acquired him from the A's in the Ray Durham deal?

Jabroni
02-25-2005, 06:50 PM
I heard that on the Radio earlier. What does that mean? Is it normal bubble pitchers, or minor leaguers start the opening ST game?

That's a serious question cause I dont' know, I usually only pick up on ST with a week or two left, and rarely pay attention to who's pitching.

This doesn't mean Adkins is better than one of our top 5's right now does it?Since wins and losses in Spring Training are pretty much meaningless, there's no reason not to see what Adkins can do in the starting role. This doesn't mean that Adkins is better than anyone in our rotation. It just means that he will be injury insurance for our rotation since none of our AAA starters (Diaz, Munoz, Grilli, etc.) could consistently get the job done last year. There is no room for Adkins in our bullpen because we have too many righties.
Wasn't he originally a starter when we acquired him from the A's in the Ray Durham deal?Yes. Here are Adkins' minor league totals:

http://sports-wired.com/profiles/AD/tbc4352.asp

Hangar18
02-25-2005, 07:28 PM
On a side note, anyone notice the picture theyre using for Jon Adkins
on the Sox team site? The SOX are the visiting team, and You can see
the Crowd Cheering and an A's Player rounding first, most likely because
he just went Yard on Adkins, heh heh. cruel joke.

Jabroni
02-25-2005, 07:34 PM
On a side note, anyone notice the picture theyre using for Jon Adkins
on the Sox team site? The SOX are the visiting team, and You can see
the Crowd Cheering and an A's Player rounding first, most likely because
he just went Yard on Adkins, heh heh. cruel joke.Haha, you're right. That's kinda sad that this is the picture that WhiteSox.com chose to use for the Adkins' story...

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/2004/06/02/5R9YvIb3.jpg

SOX ADDICT '73
02-25-2005, 08:21 PM
Haha, you're right. That's kinda sad that this is the picture that WhiteSox.com chose to use for the Adkins' story...
Both pictures of Adkins, the one on the home page and the one you see when you click the "full story" link, have his face obscured. Is he in the witness protection program or something?

Jabroni
02-25-2005, 08:29 PM
Both pictures of Adkins, the one on the home page and the one you see when you click the "full story" link, have his face obscured. Is he in the witness protection program or something?Sad, very sad...

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/2004/09/11/oaCDi5Xm.jpg

Poor Jonathan. :whiner: He's the MAN WITH NO FACE!!! :tongue:

chisoxcardsbabe
02-25-2005, 09:24 PM
Sad, very sad...

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/2004/09/11/oaCDi5Xm.jpg

Poor Jonathan. :whiner: He's the MAN WITH NO FACE!!! :tongue:

Perhaps it is to the welfare of our eyesight that he hides his face.

:tongue: *rimshot*

chisox06
02-25-2005, 10:38 PM
Since wins and losses in Spring Training are pretty much meaningless, there's no reason not to see what Adkins can do in the starting role. This doesn't mean that Adkins is better than anyone in our rotation. It just means that he will be injury insurance for our rotation since none of our AAA starters (Diaz, Munoz, Grilli, etc.) could consistently get the job done last year. There is no room for Adkins in our bullpen because we have too many righties.

Agreed and you bring up a good point. Its nice to finally have the luxury to go down and bring up a guy like Adkins incase of an injury. Unlike before where our minor leagues would consistently try out for the 5th spot (obviously costing us games in the process) on the whitesox rotation. Finally some depth.

bigfoot
02-26-2005, 08:17 AM
And, of course the obvious, Adkins will be getting more innings as a starter. The more innings the more exposure to other scouts, looking for a pitcher in a potential trade. Especially if they want a starter, not a RP.

kevingrt
02-26-2005, 09:16 AM
I really don't mind this move at all. If any starter goes down we really have no where to go besides the trade market, and that won't be open till later on in the year. I mean McCarthy or Cotts we could try but youth and someone that I still think isn't suited well for a starters position. Give Cotts a year or two develop more arm strength and endurance and he should be a great pitcher on the southside.

As for Adkins... he worked beautifully as a mop up guy and kept us in a good amount of games last year. If someone were to get hurt, Adkins would fill in beautifully for the needed games pitching a good 5 innings or so and most importantly keeping us in every game.

DumpJerry
02-26-2005, 10:25 AM
And, of course the obvious, Adkins will be getting more innings as a starter. The more innings the more exposure to other scouts, looking for a pitcher in a potential trade. Especially if they want a starter, not a RP.
That's my gut feeling too. Espcially with Hermanson on the roster.