PDA

View Full Version : Sportsline thinks Hermanson could end up at 5.

Jurr
02-25-2005, 06:24 PM
From the "turf wars" section:

"Hermanson came over from the Cards and seemed to be ticketed for a setup man's job, but a good spring could help him push aside Garland for the last spot in the rotation. Garland has won 12 games for three consecutive seasons, but his overall numbers haven't been impressive considering the stuff he has."

SoxFan76
02-25-2005, 06:28 PM
:?:

Yeah, ok. Riiiiight.

ja1022
02-25-2005, 06:29 PM
I think he'll end up leading the team in saves.

cwsox
02-25-2005, 06:30 PM
not a chance

and I am still on the Crede bandwagen, always have been, never got off

Jabroni
02-25-2005, 06:30 PM
Whatever. If he did, what would Garland do? Be a long reliever? :rolleyes:

samram
02-25-2005, 06:38 PM
You know what, I really need a job where uninformed speculation and complete conjecture are considered the tools of quality performance.

PaleHoseGeorge
02-25-2005, 06:40 PM
You know what, I really need a job where uninformed speculation and complete conjecture are considered the tools of quality performance.

:knue
"When can you start?"

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-25-2005, 06:42 PM
I know he was once on the Cards, but he came from the Giants to the Sox, unlike what it says in that article. If they can't even get that right, why should I believe them when they say that he could be the #5 starter?? :?:

balke
02-25-2005, 06:44 PM
What's going on? Adkins starting ST and now Hermanson is taking over out 5th spot? Is El Duque not ready or something? These are weird speculations to be making. Garland is going to dominate in the 5 spot. Hermansen looks to be our solid long reliever, or set-up man. Perhaps starting for the injured?

PaleHoseGeorge
02-25-2005, 06:49 PM
This is hardly worth anyone getting their panties in an uproar. Ozzie has already stated his starting 5 is set. If Garland (or anyone else) gets knocked out, it will be because of injury or just plain terrible pitching after the season starts.

Having flexibility in the rotation and bullpen is a good thing. Enjoy it.
:cool:

Bucky F. Dent
02-25-2005, 06:50 PM
If he did, what would Garland do?

Sell aluminum siding. I would be more comfotrable with him in that role!

voodoochile
02-25-2005, 06:53 PM
Sell aluminum siding. I would be more comfotrable with him in that role!

Oh come on... he may not be the stud #1 everyone projected him as a few years ago, but he's not THAT bad.

zach074
02-25-2005, 07:03 PM
Oh come on... he may not be the stud #1 everyone projected him as a few years ago, but he's not THAT bad.

Danny Wright is the one who should be selling siding.

Soxzilla
02-25-2005, 07:11 PM
Danny Wright is the one who should be selling siding.

Danny Wright should be a terrorist. Because he still terrorizes me in my nightmares.

Eh.....eh?

...oh.:(:

MRKARNO
02-25-2005, 07:11 PM
Here is just another example of what we've all been saying. The national media doesn't bother to research their stories when it comes to teams such as the White Sox. It is one of the greatest journalistic flaws of Sports Writing today. The reason that they can get away with it, is that it's a lot less blatant than accusing the wrong person to be the murder suspect in another news story. It's just absolutely shameful what the national media writes, when they could just ask a fan (such as one of us) and find out the answer to their question. They could also just look in the archives and see what Kenny Williams or Ozzie has stated on this issue, but no, that would take WAY too much time and effort.

GiveMeSox
02-25-2005, 07:12 PM
From the "turf wars" section:

"Hermanson came over from the Cards and seemed to be ticketed for a setup man's job, but a good spring could help him push aside Garland for the last spot in the rotation. Garland has won 12 games for three consecutive seasons, but his overall numbers haven't been impressive considering the stuff he has."

This the dumbest thing I have ever heard. A 12 year old could make this speculation. This is a pure case of throwing something against the wall just to see if it sticks.

The Racehorse
02-25-2005, 07:14 PM
... imo, Hermanson is the linchpin of the pitching staff. With Ozzie being on record saying Buehrle & Garcia are not going to log mega-innings this year, along with the very real possibility El Duque will get nicked up, Hermanson has the tools for middle relief & to be an effective spot starter... not to mention if Shingo suddenly can't throw his junkballs for strikes, Hermanson can spell Takatsu if he has to.

As Hermanson goes in 2005, so goes the pitching staff in 2005... and so goes the Sox in 2005.

Hangar18
02-25-2005, 07:24 PM
... imo, Hermanson is the linchpin of the pitching staff. With Ozzie being on record saying Buehrle & Garcia are not going to log mega-innings this year, along with the very real possibility El Duque will get nicked up, Hermanson has the tools for middle relief & to be an effective spot starter... not to mention if Shingo suddenly can't throw his junkballs for strikes, Hermanson can spell Takatsu if he has to.

As Hermanson goes in 2005, so goes the pitching staff in 2005... and so goes the Sox in 2005.

Good post man. Hermanson is quietly indeed the X factor.
This team has STUPIDLY gone into the Regular Seasons without quality pitching depth, and paid for it by years end by losing the Division.
The SOX then FOOLISHLY repeated their Folly in the 2001, 2002, 2003 and
2004 seasons, to the dismay of SOX fans everywhere.

This team actually and finally has some Depth, and the more I think about it, the more important Hermanson is going to be to the SOX this year, simply to keep filling roles. One of the many Reasons a Majority of SOX fans
feel good about the 2005 season. How far back would the Evil Blue Corporation have been last year had they not signed Glendon Rusch?

The Racehorse
02-25-2005, 07:27 PM
This team has STUPIDLY gone into the Regular Seasons without quality pitching depth, and paid for it by years end by losing the Division.

This team actually and finally has some Depth, and the more I think about it, the more important Hermanson is going to be to the SOX this year, simply to keep filling roles. One of the many Reasons a Majority of SOX fans
feel good about the 2005 season. How far back would the Evil Blue Corporation have been last year had they not signed Glendon Rusch?

Thanks for the props... great minds think alike! :D:

SOXintheBURGH
02-25-2005, 07:37 PM
They way I always figured, Hermanson was signed for three reasons.

1.) Set up Shingo Time.
2.) Take over as closer should Shingo Time be time over.
3.) Spot starts if El Duque only starts 20 games.

SOXintheBURGH
02-25-2005, 07:39 PM
On a side note, I cannot WAIT to see our bullpen in action. When Cliff Politte is your last resort, you know your pitching is in good shape.

BRDSR
02-25-2005, 08:12 PM
On a side note, I cannot WAIT to see our bullpen in action. When Cliff Politte is your last resort, you know your pitching is in good shape.

Maybe I had some sort of selective attention with Cliff Politte, but did he seem better than his numbers to anyone else? When I think of Cliff Politte I think of the right-handed equivalent of Damaso Marte in our bullpen. I feel like he's the guy who pitches the 8th when the opposition has a bunch of righties coming up. Am I wrong? Is that man Hermanson now? They're numbers are very comparable from last season although Hermanson started 18 games and I would therefore expect his ERA to be a little lower in a completley relief role? What does everyone think? Will we be seeing Hermanson or Politte more often in the 8th inning this season?

A. Cavatica
02-25-2005, 08:32 PM
I've seen enough of Hermanson's career to know he's no better than a long reliever. He could turn into Billy Koch II if we make him the closer.

Brian26
02-25-2005, 08:58 PM
I know he was once on the Cards, but he came from the Giants to the Sox, unlike what it says in that article.

Exactly. That immediately ruined the credibility of the statement.

PAPChiSox729
02-25-2005, 09:06 PM
They way I always figured, Hermanson was signed for three reasons.

1.) Set up Shingo Time.
2.) Take over as closer should Shingo Time be time over.
3.) Spot starts if El Duque only starts 20 games.

I agree. Since El Duque will probably get tired during the season. Signing Hermanson was very important. He gives the Sox a somewhat legitimate 6th starter, which is a very nice luxury to have (considering last year we only had 4 starters). I just wonder if moving from the bullpen to the rotation is that easy... Let's hope so.

Fake Chet Lemon
02-25-2005, 09:50 PM
I know he was once on the Cards, but he came from the Giants to the Sox, unlike what it says in that article. If they can't even get that right, why should I believe them when they say that he could be the #5 starter?? :?:

ditto

Soxzilla
02-25-2005, 10:07 PM
Maybe I had some sort of selective attention with Cliff Politte, but did he seem better than his numbers to anyone else? When I think of Cliff Politte I think of the right-handed equivalent of Damaso Marte in our bullpen. I feel like he's the guy who pitches the 8th when the opposition has a bunch of righties coming up. Am I wrong? Is that man Hermanson now? They're numbers are very comparable from last season although Hermanson started 18 games and I would therefore expect his ERA to be a little lower in a completley relief role? What does everyone think? Will we be seeing Hermanson or Politte more often in the 8th inning this season?

Vizcaino should start the season as the right handed set-up man. Politte will be a more like a 7th inning guy. Or an 8th or 9th inning guy if we are winning/losing by quite a bit.

BRDSR
02-25-2005, 10:24 PM
Vizcaino should start the season as the right handed set-up man. Politte will be a more like a 7th inning guy. Or an 8th or 9th inning guy if we are winning/losing by quite a bit.

Oh yeah, sorry. I had a little Chicago Media Moment and forgot that we got a little guy named Vizcaino from the Brewers as part of the Carlos Lee deal. Still, seeing Politte out there in a close game in the 8th wouldn't make me cringe.

BainesHOF
02-25-2005, 10:48 PM
I'm all for bouncing Garland out of the fifth spot and off the team. He's a dumb pitcher with an attitude problem. His calling out Konerko for an error after one game last year was inexcusable and revealed his true colors in much the same way that his prior comments about the fans did.

Let's play some team for a fool and trade the loser.

WSox8404
02-25-2005, 10:53 PM

Ha......Writers nowadays are vastly OVERpayed.

Brian26
02-25-2005, 11:35 PM
Still, seeing Politte out there in a close game in the 8th wouldn't make me cringe.

Politte ranks a lot lower on my bullpen confidence level....behind Shingo, Hermanson and Vizcaino on the right side, and behind Marte on the left side.

BRDSR
02-26-2005, 12:24 AM
I'm all for bouncing Garland out of the fifth spot and off the team. He's a dumb pitcher with an attitude problem. His calling out Konerko for an error after one game last year was inexcusable and revealed his true colors in much the same way that his prior comments about the fans did.

Let's play some team for a fool and trade the loser.

Unfortunately, we'd be the loser in such a trade. Despite Garland failing to live up to some of the expectations Sox fans had for him two or three years ago, he's gotten 12 wins each of the last three seasons. He's prone to the big inning but he's also no stranger to the quality start. He's pitched more than 190 innings each of the last three years without ever going on the disabled list. Basically, he's consistent. Do you know what consistent pitchers are going for these days? 8-10 million per year. I think we've got Garland for what...2.5 million maybe? Theres no way we get anywhere close to his value in a trade, because teams just don't think he's worth as much as he is. And out of the #5 spot? Give me a break, there's no scenario under which I would consider dismantleing the most complete starting staff we've had in a decade.

balke
02-26-2005, 01:06 AM
The old "Garland needs to go" argument again. Let's not start the season like this. Drop the axe when he loses.

D. TODD
02-26-2005, 03:02 AM

Let's play some team for a fool and trade the loser. Garland is solid, he Will be fine, with a possibility of being a top of the rotation guy! The talk of Hermanson is ridiculous, he is a good emergency option at best for a starting role. Garland in the 3 hole is adequate, If the Cubans stay healthy and preform he is a huge plus at the back of our rotation. Hermanson will then be a major part of our multi-talented bullpen, in a perfect world. Konerko ripped Frank does that mean he was showing his "true colors", if you've ever played competitive baseball you would understand these comments happen. I SUPPORT BOTH , and believe they will get the job done. Garland especially to exceed what's expected of him!

D. TODD
02-26-2005, 03:09 AM

feel good about the 2005 season. How far back would the Evil Blue Corporation have been last year had they not signed Glendon Rusch? Glendon Rush was picked off of waivers, after a horrendous showing in his previous years. We have picked up a quality guy who may or may not preform, but comes with much more potential to be a big time help, in the pen or as a spot starter. Let's Hope for the best!:smile:

Mohoney
02-26-2005, 02:19 PM
Garland is going to dominate in the 5 spot.

Hopefully as a Milwaukee Brewer after our July 31 acquisition of Ben Sheets.

BRDSR
02-26-2005, 03:14 PM

I think Garland would at least have to dominate the two spot in that case.

PAPChiSox729
02-26-2005, 09:44 PM

Shouldn't that be in pink?