PDA

View Full Version : Quick story on a minor "incident" in camp involving El Duque.

chisoxmike
02-25-2005, 06:06 PM
Don't know if this has been posted yet...

TUCSON, Ariz. -- At a solid 230 pounds and as a former Michigan state heavyweight wrestling champion who won his final 92 matches, Casey Rogowski does not appear to be a good opponent for the average person if he's looking for a fight.
But there's nothing average about Orlando 'El Duque' Hernandez's grit, competitiveness, determination and, especially, his pride. Those traits were on display Friday during live batting practice on a back field at Tucson Electric Park, when Hernandez brushed back Rogowski with a high-and-tight offering.

A White Sox source said Friday's incident actually took root two days ago, when Rogowski hit a line drive back up the middle with Hernandez on the mound. Although Hernandez had a screen in front of him during the session, he didn't appreciate the comebacker when hitters are signaled as to what pitch is coming, nor what he perceived as the ensuing reaction.

(VC Edit: In the future please post links. It is a violation of copyright laws to repost entire articles. I removed enough of the story so the site is covered. If you want to edit in a link the edit button is beside the quote button in the corner and you are welcome to edit your own posts.)

ja1022
02-25-2005, 06:13 PM
El Duque, please let me introduce you to Torii Hunter. Enjoy.

Chisox003
02-25-2005, 06:17 PM
El Duque, please let me introduce you to Torii Hunter. Enjoy.

El Duque, please let me introduce you Sammy Sosa. Enjoy

P.S. Go for the head

WhiteSoxFan84
02-25-2005, 06:21 PM

P.S. Go for the head

You're kidding right? You'd rather have him hit Sosa rather than ANY Twinkie? I'd much rather have him his Luis Rivas than Sammy Sosa.

My pick would have to be Hunter as well.

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-25-2005, 06:22 PM
Definitely agree with this statement from Ozzie:
Manager Ozzie Guillen liked Hernandez's attitude, but would have preferred the target to be part of another franchise.
:smile:
Hopefully this Rogo-Duque thing settles down, although there's not too much to worry about with Ozzie running the show..

WhiteSoxFan84
02-25-2005, 06:23 PM
Definitely agree with this statement from Ozzie:

:smile:
Hopefully this Rogo-Duque thing settles down, although there's not too much to worry about with Ozzie running the show..

I doubt it'll continue. Rogo knows his ass will be kicked out of camp and back in single-A if he tries anything.

soxfan26
02-25-2005, 06:25 PM
You're kidding right? You'd rather have him hit Sosa rather than ANY Twinkie? I'd much rather have him his Luis Rivas than Sammy Sosa.

My pick would have to be Hunter as well.

Can we avoid driving this thread right off a cliff? Thanks.

"He's competitive," Guillen added of El Duque. "I like that, when a guy doesn't like to be embarrassed by anybody. A lot of guys should learn from that when we face another team."

:thumbsup: Well said Oz.

Hangar18
02-25-2005, 07:14 PM
Can someone tell us more about Casey Rogowski? Im liking the cut
of his Jib too in this incident .............

Jabroni
02-25-2005, 07:32 PM
Here's the article...

"Notes: Brushback incident at camp
Hernandez throws tight pitch to Rogowski at BP"
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20050225&content_id=950608&vkey=spt2005news&fext=.jsp

The Racehorse
02-25-2005, 07:56 PM
I hope El Duque's attitude rubs off on the rest of the pitching staff... I'm sick & tired of pitchers (in general) being afraid of occasionally knocking hitters in their ass... hopefully the rest of the Sox pitchers "get it". As much as I appreciated ELo when he pitched for the Sox, he NEVER knocked hitters off the plate.

Hangar18
02-25-2005, 08:03 PM
I hope El Duque's attitude rubs off on the rest of the pitching staff... I'm sick & tired of pitchers (in general) being afraid of occasionally knocking hitters in their ass... hopefully the rest of the Sox pitchers "get it". As much as I appreciated ELo when he pitched for the Sox, he NEVER knocked hitters off the plate.

Thats a good point. I dont remember a pitching staff having an attitude
in a long time ......... would be nice for a change. Pride.

WSox8404
02-25-2005, 11:44 PM
Thats a good point. I dont remember a pitching staff having an attitude
in a long time ......... would be nice for a change. Pride.

Pride....which reminds me, does anyone have any wristbands left.....I need one, or more.

Brian26
02-26-2005, 12:30 AM

P.S. Go for the head

Easy, brother. Easy.

Sosa has already dug his own grave in Baltimore with the whole "limo from the airport" fiasco. No reason to bean him.

As for Torii, he'll get what's coming. No need to put it into words.

Brian26
02-26-2005, 12:32 AM
Pride....which reminds me, does anyone have any wristbands left.....I need one, or more.

There's a Bekins truck somewhere with about 10,000 wristbands falling out. Contact Steph :D:

D. TODD
02-26-2005, 04:23 AM
Can someone tell us more about Casey Rogowski? Im liking the cut
of his Jib too in this incident ............. The cut of his jib? He hit a line up the middle and got dusted, what does that say about his toughness?

Jabroni
02-26-2005, 06:04 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20050226&content_id=951333&vkey=spt2005news&fext=.jsp
No hard feelings: There was a brief meeting between Hernandez and Rogowski in Guillen's office Saturday, settling any residual hard feelings stemming from Friday's brushback incident. During live batting practice, Hernandez threw a pitch high-and-tight to Rogowski, after a ground ball hit back up the middle from Rogowski two days earlier upset El Duque.

Guillen was satisfied with Saturday's resolution.

"They shook hands and moved on," Guillen said. "They regret what they did, but that's part of the game and it won't happen again.

"El Duque was a real class act about coming to the kid and they apologized on both sides. I don't want any trouble with the team. Both sides were mistaken and there was a misunderstanding."

Deadguy
02-27-2005, 04:19 AM
El Duque sounds like an arrogant jerk. Chill out, and lay off your teammates.

On a somewhat related note, anyone else remember the incident between him and Thomas in May of 1999?

flo-B-flo
02-27-2005, 03:03 PM
Easy, brother. Easy.

Sosa has already dug his own grave in Baltimore with the whole "limo from the airport" fiasco. No reason to bean him.

As for Torii, he'll get what's coming. No need to put it into words. The way to do it is during an actual game play. Breaking up a dp, throwing inside, running into their catcher etc. Baseball provides many little instances where you can play catchup if you please.

chisoxmike
02-27-2005, 03:51 PM
As for Torii, he'll get what's coming. No need to put it into words.

I don't know, I think Ozzie and the players are over that. There may be a underline grudge against Hunter but I don't think you'll be seeing bean balls and inside pitches at him. They wouldn't even bean him after he plowed into Burke that night. They didn't even do it the day after. So, if they did it in Minnesota, in my opinion it would be too little too late. Just beat the Twins is what I would have to say at this point.

Every year something adds to the fire between the Sox and Twins. So it will be interesting to see what it will be this season. Needless to say, I can't wait.

Baby Fisk
02-28-2005, 02:02 PM
Racehorse, you are right on. The Sox will not beat the Twins by playing "please and thank you". Look at how much Torii Hunter respected that approach last year. :angry:

It's time to instill some of the Nolan Ryan mentality into the rotation...

:nolanventura

steff
02-28-2005, 05:22 PM
There's a Bekins truck somewhere with about 10,000 wristbands falling out. Contact Steph :D:

ROTFLMAO!!! :whistle:

fquaye149
02-28-2005, 09:49 PM
The cut of his jib? He hit a line up the middle and got dusted, what does that say about his toughness?

well for one thing, he didn't run his mouth off to the papers, despite facing more media attention than he'll probably have for a LONG while