PDA

View Full Version : Nomar: Take your ring and shove it

Fenway
02-25-2005, 02:17 PM
from the infamous Dirt Dog

HoHoKam Park, Mesa AZ: While Nomar Garciaparra was signing a few autographs after Cubs practice yesterday, he was asked if he was excited about finally getting a World Series ring. Garciparra replied "I don't want it. They can keep it." And he was not joking. Our AZ correspondent Jessica adds "You guys were so right on about Nomar being a jerk. I guess he's Mr. Cub now, especially with Mia throwing out the first pitch at a Cubs game and getting a donation for her charity foundation from the Cubs foundation. Good riddance to an ungrateful bastard." Maybe Dirt Dog, who was the lone voice to support Theo Epstein when the Nomar trade was made, (http://bostondirtdogs.boston.com/Headline_Archives/2004/08/epstein_bars_vi_1.html) should get Garciaparra's ring since Mr. Cub does not want any part of it.
http://bostondirtdogs.boston.com/Headline_Archives/2005/02/nomar_doesnt_wa.html

spawn
02-25-2005, 02:26 PM
Wow. I thought that was mighty big of the Red Sox to offer him the ring. After all, the other hand, the Red Sox made their move to the WS after they traded him. Seems someone is still pretty bitter about his time spent in Boston...makes me wonder if he took the share of the WS cash...

Baby Fisk
02-25-2005, 02:27 PM
There goes the only WS ring he will ever get close to. He doesn't sound bitter at all.

jdm2662
02-25-2005, 02:45 PM
I would think that would be an insult to him. Think about it. It's great to know a big reason why the team won the series is because he was traded. I wouldn't really call Nomar a tool on this one. Now, as for Johnny B...
________
Interracial vids (http://www.****tube.com/categories/25/interracial/videos/1)

thepaulbowski
02-25-2005, 03:06 PM
Why should he even be offered a ring? He wasn't on the team when they won. :?:

Over By There
02-25-2005, 03:07 PM
I don't have a problem with it. If I had to put myself in Nomar's shoes (hello, Mia!) I think I'd do the same thing. They ran me out of town on a rail, won it without me, and most people think my departure was a key factor in the team's success. I'd rather get one when I felt I earned it. I'd be gracious, but I would probably decline too. I guess it's a pride thing?

mantis1212
02-25-2005, 03:09 PM
I wouldn't want the ring either, and I don't think he's necessarily being sour. He didn't earn it, and he knows it. Of course, maybe it would be courteous to accept it if they offered, but why would he care now?

cleanwsox
02-25-2005, 03:21 PM
Not that he needs money anyways, but I wonder how much one of those rings would go for on ebay. Seeing how the Red Sox nation is huge, I'm sure it would be easily going for 6 figures.

voodoochile
02-25-2005, 03:32 PM
Why should he even be offered a ring? He wasn't on the team when they won. :?:

Some teams do give rings to anyone who contributed to the team in a year they won the championship. With the Red Sox giving out 100's of rings, Nomar (especially as many years as he spent there) is a pretty obvious choice.

It may also have been the team's way of saying, "Hey, we realize all the trade talk made your life a bit uncomfortable. We accept some of the blame for the way things went down."

If I were Nomar, I wouldn't take it either, but I might ask them to put in a safe depost box for me in case my kid wanted it 50 years from now.

MUsoxfan
02-25-2005, 03:40 PM
I wouldn't want to take a ring and look at it knowing I never actually played in the WS. I'd feel **** every time I looked at it

DumpJerry
02-25-2005, 03:45 PM
Is it my imagination or is Nomore the next Scammy? Unable to say a nice thing about his former team despite all the fame being on that team brought him and run out of town after a prima donna attitude gets the best of him? Hmmmmmmmmm.............

My Flub fan friends try to convince me that Big Frank is in the same mold. After I get done laughing, I tell them that the media makes him look like that because they are upset that he won't talk with them and he is actually liked by his teammates, esp. Rowand.....:D:

Ol' No. 2
02-25-2005, 03:46 PM
Jesus, Nomar. It's called class. Either accept gracefully or politely decline. Either way, **** about it.

mantis1212
02-25-2005, 03:47 PM
Some teams do give rings to anyone who contributed to the team in a year they won the championship. With the Red Sox giving out 100's of rings, Nomar (especially as many years as he spent there) is a pretty obvious choice.

It may also have been the team's way of saying, "Hey, we realize all the trade talk made your life a bit uncomfortable. We accept some of the blame for the way things went down."

If I were Nomar, I wouldn't take it either, but I might ask them to put in a safe depost box for me in case my kid wanted it 50 years from now.

It's kinda funny how thin the line is between graciousness and insult when it comes to this.

With this offer of a ring, the Red Sox should make it clear they're not insulted if he doesn't take it.

soxfan26
02-25-2005, 03:48 PM

My thoughts exactly.

But it seems as if these guys can never win in Boston. Nomar doesn't want a piece of history so now he's a jerkoff. Mientkiewicz wanted to keep a piece of history and he's a jerkoff as well.

I guess he's Mr. Cub now...

Well no **** you jerkoffs traded him, remember? To the Cubs, remember?

The Red Sox are giving rings to the Janitors for pete's sake, what player in his right mind is going to fall over himself for something your giving to people that never came within 5 feet of the playing field?

voodoochile
02-25-2005, 03:49 PM
It's kinda funny how thin the line is between graciousness and insult when it comes to this.

With this offer of a ring, the Red Sox should make it clear they're not insulted if he doesn't take it.

Nah... They should call him a whiny putz and crack about how he will never be so close to a ring again. I mean why let the controversy die when bitter acrimony has served MLB so well through the years...:rolleyes:

soxfan26
02-25-2005, 03:51 PM
Jesus, Nomar. It's called class. Either accept gracefully or politely decline. Either way, **** about it.

Consider the source Ol' No. 2. He answered the question he was asked. Sounds like it's the Boston fans who need to ****.

Ol' No. 2
02-25-2005, 03:53 PM
Nah... They should call him a whiny putz and crack about how he will never be so close to a ring again. I mean why let the controversy die when bitter acrimony has served MLB so well through the years...:rolleyes:Is it my imagination or have we had WAY more than the usual share of whiny ballplayer stories lately?

Baby Fisk
02-25-2005, 03:53 PM
Why the hell are we arguing about a Cub player who was traded from Boston?! :nuts:

Ol' No. 2
02-25-2005, 03:54 PM
Consider the source Ol' No. 2. He answered the question he was asked. Sounds like it's the Boston fans who need to ****.Right now I wish they would ALL **** and just play ball already.

soxfan26
02-25-2005, 03:55 PM
Right now I wish they would ALL **** and just play ball already.

I'll :gulp: to that.

mantis1212
02-25-2005, 04:01 PM
Right now I wish they would ALL **** and just play ball already.

...so we can **** and watch some baseball! Indeed :gulp:

StillMissOzzie
02-25-2005, 04:26 PM
Consider the source Ol' No. 2. He answered the question he was asked. Sounds like it's the Boston fans who need to ****.

That's my take, too. If all he said was, "I don't want it. You can have it.", that doesn't sound like an ingrate to me. Maybe he could have added that he appreciated the gesture, but it sounds more like Boston fans were feeling an insult where none was intended. As soxfan26 said, why take one when he was nowhere near the WS playing field?

SMO
:gulp:

jortafan
02-25-2005, 04:53 PM
Just curious to know what you think?

When the White Sox gave out rings to their players in the spring of 1960 for winning the American League pennant, then-owner Bill Veeck had a ring made up for Minnie Minoso, who didn't actually play one bit for the Sox in 1959. It was a gesture that Veeck said at the time was meant to show how much Minoso had meant to the franchise as a whole, even if he wasn't a part of the team that one year.

Do those of you who argue Nomar doesn't deserve a ring now think that Minoso should NOT have gotten a ring from the White Sox? (And as it turns out, it's the only ring Minoso ever got).

I'd argue that including Nomar in the list of people who get a ring is the least the Red Sox can do for all he meant to the franchise for many years. Whether or not Nomar accepts it is his own decision.

voodoochile
02-25-2005, 05:33 PM
My thoughts exactly.

But it seems as if these guys can never win in Boston. Nomar doesn't want a piece of history so now he's a jerkoff. Mientkiewicz wanted to keep a piece of history and he's a jerkoff as well.

Well no **** you jerkoffs traded him, remember? To the Cubs, remember?

The Red Sox are giving rings to the Janitors for pete's sake, what player in his right mind is going to fall over himself for something your giving to people that never came within 5 feet of the playing field?

Well Dougie actually is a jerkoff...:tongue:

You know, if/when Nomar gets inducted into the HOF, odds are he is going in in a Bosox cap.

I realize he would need to reup his numbers and have a good finish to his career for that to happen, but right now, he's clearly identifiable as a Red Sox player.

Of course now all those flubs fans who screamed that Fisk was never truly a White Sox player are going to want Nomar called a flub through and through...

LongLiveFisk
02-25-2005, 05:39 PM
Of course now all those flubs fans who screamed that Fisk was never truly a White Sox player are going to want Nomar called a flub through and through...

Yeah...almost 13 full seasons is not time enough to be a REAL White Sox. :rolleyes:

Fake Chet Lemon
02-25-2005, 10:57 PM
The Red Sox went 42-18 once they dumped this tool on the Cubs. Enough said.

ChiSoxRowand
02-26-2005, 03:30 PM
There is no way Nomar should get a ring. THE RED SOX STARTED WINNING WHEN THEY TRADED HIM. The Red Sox wouldn't have won the world series last year if the didn't trade Nomar.

TDog
02-26-2005, 11:41 PM
This incident could become the source of the next curse.

Some people would consider a diamond-studded World Series ring an asset. I believe if the Red Sox wouldn't have offered Garciapara one, the players' union would have filed some sort of grievance.

DrCrawdad
02-27-2005, 01:41 AM
Funny.

Garciaparra was as popular as jock itch among his former Red Sox teammates. - Jim Armstrong of the Denver Post

PaleHoseGeorge
02-27-2005, 08:57 AM
Is it my imagination or is Nomore the next Scammy? Unable to say a nice thing about his former team despite all the fame being on that team brought him and run out of town after a prima donna attitude gets the best of him? Hmmmmmmmmm.............

"Nomar the next Sammy?"

How about "Nomar the current Magglio?"

Both were nothing but idolized while part of their old team.
Both were made generous offers to stay.
Neither was goaded by the team after he left.
Both have done nothing but bitch bitch bitch about their old team since they left.

Whatever nastiness any of us has to say about Nomar goes DOUBLE for Magglio.

batmanZoSo
02-27-2005, 11:56 AM
"Nomar the next Sammy?"

How about "Nomar the current Magglio?"

Both were nothing but idolized while part of their old team.
Both were made generous offers to stay.
Neither was goaded by the team after he left.
Both have done nothing but bitch bitch bitch about their old team since they left.

Whatever nastiness any of us has to say about Nomar goes DOUBLE for Magglio.

Aptly put. And after all that, Boston goes on to win it all in their first try without superstar Nomar. Does the same fate await us? :?::bandance:

flo-B-flo
02-27-2005, 02:43 PM

With this offer of a ring, the Red Sox should make it clear they're not insulted if he doesn't take it. Um yea. The blosox insult nomas by offering a championship ring he doesn't deserve. He gets pissed and declines. These camps have been s******* on each other for a good while now. When it will end who knows.

Fenway
03-02-2005, 03:43 PM
Now maybe he wants the ring

But the bigger story is the power of "the blog"

http://www.bostonsportsmedia.com/

Here in Boston, we have a curious dynamic at work. Last summer, Steve Silva’s very popular Red Sox fan site BostonDirtDogs.com was acquired by Boston.com, which is the online home to the Boston Globe. Both companies are owned by the New York Times Company. In the press release (http://www.corporate-ir.net/ireye/ir_site.zhtml?ticker=NYT&script=461&layout=-6&item_id=576159) announcing the deal, Silva was quoted as saying: “I am thrilled to be a part of Boston.com's sports section. Boston Dirt Dogs struck a chord among Red Sox fans with its sometimes serious, sometimes light, sometimes like Don Rickles at a Friar's Club roast tone.” As part of the deal, Silva was hired as a sports producer for Boston.com, and as part of that is paid by the company to update BostonDirtDogs.