PDA

View Full Version : keeping my cool - *official* no sense of humor thread

rwcescato
02-25-2005, 01:21 PM
I was in a restaurant ordering lunch today in Orland Park. I was wearing my
Sox jacket. A manager from this restaurant says to me "We don't serve Sox
fans here." All I did was smile at him. I felt like saying something but I know its not worth it. Obviously a pathetic flub fan. I do feel better I kept my composure instead of getting into an argument. I can't wait for the season to start.
Rich

Clembasbal
02-25-2005, 01:26 PM
fans here." All I did was smile at him. I felt like saying something but I know its not worth it. Obviously a pathetic flub fan. I do feel better I kept my composure instead of getting into an argument. I can't wait for the season to start.
Rich

Two things

What is that restuarant...I will never go there.

And the other day when I was in Carson's at the Orland Mall the cashier looked at my White Sox Pride Wristband and said, "oooo...I have a Cubs one." I said, "That's unfortunate" Then I left. (I know, that sounds a little Hangerish, but I get to have some sometimes...don't I?)

robiwho
02-25-2005, 01:28 PM
And the other day when I was in Carson's at the Orland Mall the cashier looked at my White Sox Pride Wristband and said, "oooo...I have a Cubs one." I said, "That's unfortunate" Then I left. (I know, that sounds a little Hangerish, but I get to have some sometimes...don't I?)

When people tell my dad that they're cub fans, his standard response is, "Well, that's your problem."

Classic.

SSN721
02-25-2005, 01:28 PM
Rich

Wow, did you walk out? I would have.

mjharrison72
02-25-2005, 01:34 PM
I would have too, after letting them know none of the many Sox fans I knew would be spending their money there from now on.
And wait a minute... isn't Orland Park sort of Sox country anyway? What was the idiot thinking?

rwcescato
02-25-2005, 01:38 PM
Two things

What is that restuarant...I will never go there.

It was the A&w by the target on lagrange and 159th.

rwcescato
02-25-2005, 01:40 PM

No I stayed and ate. I did want to show my class to the other customers
standing in line.

Ol' No. 2
02-25-2005, 01:41 PM
standing in line.If you wanted to do that you could have just mooned him.:D:

Clembasbal
02-25-2005, 01:41 PM
It was the A&w by the target on lagrange and 159th.

The A&W/ Long John Silvers? Never been in the place and glad I haven't yet.

Orland Park is sort of "Sox" Country. There are a lot of Cubs fans because there are a lot of college kids out here. Not that they live out here, just that there are a ton of families with kids in college and they show that by being Cubs fans.

Palehose13
02-25-2005, 01:43 PM
When people tell my dad that they're cub fans, his standard response is, "Well, that's your problem."

Classic.

My standard response is "I'm sorry."

voodoochile
02-25-2005, 01:48 PM
I would be dollars to donuts this guy was joking. I use that line in reverse all the time working in restaurants.

"We don't serve flubs fans here."

"Michigan Fan? Why didn't you tell me before I made the pizza, I would have used the bad sausage."

"Your boyfriend/girlfriend seems like a nice guy/girl, but he/she has terrible taste in clothing." - said to too the person with too many Packer fans to count.

I've never had anyone respond in anger. I always say it with a smile and exagerrated eye rolling and facial expressions. It's intended to start a discussion about sports, not to be a traumatic experience for the person I am talking to.

How you could take that seriously and respond so indignantly is beyond me. Trash talking is part of sports rivalrys. You either get it or you need to find another hobby that doesn't make you crazy. It's supposed to be fun and without rivalrys, being a fan isn't nearly so much fun. I know - you could call A&W HQ and raise a huge stink - or better yet, e-mail Brooks Boyer to see if the Sox will authorize a fan boycott...:rolleyes:

Iwritecode
02-25-2005, 01:48 PM

Just look at them and say "Well, the first step is admiting that you have a problem". Then hand them a card with whitesoxinteractive.com printed on it and tell them "Just go to this website if you need to seek help."

:D:

voodoochile
02-25-2005, 01:51 PM
Just look at them and say "Well, the first step is admiting that you have a problem". Then hand them a card with whitesoxinteractive.com printed on it and tell them "Just go to this website if you need to seek help."

:D:

Don't be sending us all those flubbie trolls... Are you freaking nuts? What would we do? I mean what will we do? I'd have to spend all day banning trolls and letting the posters pick their smoldering remains... um... okay... I guess it's alright...:D:

:deadtrolls:

Iwritecode
02-25-2005, 01:55 PM
Don't be sending us all those flubbie trolls... Are you freaking nuts? What would we do? I mean what will we do? I'd have to spend all day banning trolls and letting the posters pick their smoldering remains... um... okay... I guess it's alright...:D:

:deadtrolls:

You and I both know that it's possible to convert some people if you catch them early enough. :cool:

voodoochile
02-25-2005, 01:57 PM
You and I both know that it's possible to convert some people if you catch them early enough. :cool:

They have to want to change and change has to come from within. Most of the people you are talking about are hollow zombies on the inside, devoid of anything but trying to figure out how to "accidentally" spill beer on the girl in the white bikini top in the bleachers. :wink:

spawn
02-25-2005, 01:57 PM
I saw a co-worker in the elevator yesterday wearing a Cubs jacket. I told him I thought he was ok until I saw him wearing that! i think it's ok to joke around with friends and co-workers about the rivalry. But at a restaurant? And the manager on top of it? That's just ignorant.

voodoochile
02-25-2005, 01:59 PM
I saw a co-worker in the elevator yesterday wearing a Cubs jacket. I told him I thought he was ok until I saw him wearing that! i think it's ok to joke around with friends and co-workers about the rivalry. But at a restaurant? And the manager on top of it? That's just ignorant.

Do you hear that sound?

It's the sound of a joke going over your head...:rolleyes:

I give up... some people have NOOOOOO sense of humor...:dtroll:

Iwritecode
02-25-2005, 02:05 PM
They have to want to change and change has to come from within. Most of the people you are talking about are hollow zombies on the inside, devoid of anything but trying to figure out how to "accidentally" spill beer on the girl in the white bikini top in the bleachers. :wink:

You're probably right.. :(:

Could you just imagine what it would be like to have a support group for Cubs fans though? Just imagine what some of their meetings would be about...

Attendance: Why it's not the best way to judge which team is better.

The score: not just a radio station.

Bathroom editquite: Sinks are for washing your hands only.

Statistics: What they are and how to use them properly.

:)

Ol' No. 2
02-25-2005, 02:07 PM

Could you just imagine what it would be like to have a support group for Cubs fans though? Just imagine what some of their meetings would be about...

:)Golden arches: McDonald's trademark, not a way of reaching the trough without it overflowing on your shoes.:D:

WinningUgly!
02-25-2005, 02:08 PM
Mine, too. The key is to say it like you didn't hear what they said.

sCrUBs fan: "I'm a Cubs fan."

WU!: "I'm sorry?"

sCrUBs fan: "I said that I'm a Cubs fan."

WU!: "I heard you."

thepaulbowski
02-25-2005, 02:08 PM
Do you hear that sound?

Remember, some folks have tin foil hats on and have the mental make up of George Costanza. :wink:

voodoochile
02-25-2005, 02:09 PM

They'd have a website where everyone talked about how wasted they got the night before and how much they hate ShamME* and how great Prior is even though he's on the DL.

They'd talk about Dusty being all that and a bag of chips. Once every 4 days someone would mention a game and the score.

They'd have 10,000 members and they'd talk about how they are cooler than WSI because their attendance is better. :D::dtroll:

SOXintheBURGH
02-25-2005, 02:18 PM
Mine, too. The key is to say it like you didn't hear what they said.

sCrUBs fan: "I'm a Cubs fan."

WU!: "I'm sorry?"

sCrUBs fan: "I said that I'm a Cubs fan."

WU!: "I heard you."

Yeah, thats exactly what I do. Being from Chicago and living outside of it is the worst when it comes to Sox/Cubs.

"Hey, you're from Chicago right?"
"Sure am, South Side."
"Oh, so you're a White Sox fan."
"Til death!"
"Oh, well, I've been to Chicago once in my life and I love the Cubs."
"I'm sorry."
"What?"
"Choke."

spawn
02-25-2005, 02:30 PM
Do you hear that sound?

I used to think that, but I've come across to many Cub fans that were actually serious about things like that. I understand your point about getting a sports conversation going, but I've learned the hard way you can't have an intelligent baseball conversation with most Flub fans.:D:

WhiteSoxFan84
02-25-2005, 02:51 PM

Classic.

When people tell me theyre cub fans i tell'em, "I'm sorry to hear that".

SoxFan76
02-25-2005, 03:56 PM
When I'm asked if I'm a Cubs or Sox fan, I say "Obviously a Sox fan. I grew up around the Chicago area."

Kind of making the point that the Cubs should be called the Southern Illinois/Iowa Cubs. The Sox are Chicago's true team. Ask da mayor...

mantis1212
02-25-2005, 04:36 PM

We know it was a joke, and you've been accused of having no sense of humor, but I have to say a saying this to a customer in a restaurant can be taken the wrong way.

There's too many stories out there in the food service industry. The movie "Road Trip" and French Toast comes to mind

ja1022
02-25-2005, 06:41 PM
I never get bothered by good natured grief from Cub fans, as I'm always pretty quick to dish it out. I can respect anyone that's loyal to their team. I just have a problem with those so called die hard Cub fans who are really only fans because of the whole loveable loser, cursed, wrigleyville bull**** mystique.

My wife use to hate it when we would be out at a bar and I'd strike up a conversation with a Cub fan or fans at the bar. Give me a few drinks and I could be relentless. I remember being followed into a bathroom at a wedding about 20 years ago by a couple of large Cub fans, who evidently took offense at my Cub sense of humor and wanted to kick my ass. Priceless.

My typical response when learning someone is a Cub fan is something along the lines of, "damn, you seem pretty normal otherwise".

PaleHoseGeorge
02-25-2005, 07:56 PM

Classic.

Here's mine.

"Was that YOU calling off Moises Alou on that pop foul in Game 6 of the NLCS?"

That pisses them off.
:cool:

Hangar18
02-25-2005, 08:10 PM
When I see someone wearing cub garb near me, I look that them,
Snicker, and do my best Michael Jordan TSK TSK TSK. The cub
fan almost immediately is confused and anxious. These are people
who are used to someone saying WOO or YAYYYYYY in response
to their Foolish choice of clothing. A seed of doubt and the cub fan
quietly questions themselves, a little piece of their Dignity chipped away ....

SOXintheBURGH
02-25-2005, 08:35 PM
Also, when you meet someone and you know right away that the person is a loser, jagoff, worthless person of a prick, and they say "I'm a Cubs fan," I always say "Yeah, you would be."

Viva Medias B's
02-26-2005, 01:11 AM
I won't be spending my dollars at that A&W no more. And that's a shame because I like A&W's. I had a great meal Thursday at the one in Schaumburg.As for the drillrod who said that to you, I would sent a letter/e-mail to the company and complain.

CubsfansareDRUNK
02-26-2005, 01:25 AM
Wow. I love being a sox fan.

kittle42
02-26-2005, 02:27 AM
I won't be spending my dollars at that A&W no more. And that's a shame because I like A&W's. I had a great meal Thursday at the one in Schaumburg.As for the drillrod who said that to you, I would sent a letter/e-mail to the company and complain.

Yikes.

dllrbll7
02-26-2005, 04:40 AM
Do you hear that sound?

Im with you voodoo. Get a sense of humor, the guy did serve you so obviously he was kidding. Sports are all about rivalrys and if you cant have some fun with it whats the point. I all the time joke around with people about not serving or helping them because of being a cubs fan and it is usually good for a laugh and sometimes a decent conversation. Now if he actually didnt serve you or actually treated you diferently for the fact that your wearing a sox jacket you would have a case but you dont. Get a sense of humor

kittle42
02-26-2005, 05:20 AM
Im with you voodoo. Get a sense of humor, the guy did serve you so obviously he was kidding. Sports are all about rivalrys and if you cant have some fun with it whats the point. I all the time joke around with people about not serving or helping them because of being a cubs fan and it is usually good for a laugh and sometimes a decent conversation. Now if he actually didnt serve you or actually treated you diferently for the fact that your wearing a sox jacket you would have a case but you dont. Get a sense of humor

No! Write the company! Picket the store! Start using Barq's for your root beer floats!

voodoochile
02-26-2005, 08:16 AM

THANK YOU!

Take this next sentence anyway you want it...

You got served... end of story...

Cubbiesuck13
02-26-2005, 09:20 AM
When I got to my first command there was 100's of people I did not know. Most of them were higher ranking than me. My first quarterdeck watch (let people on and off the ship) this guy comes walking up with the most disgusting outfit on. A huge blue flubs jersey and oversized pants with a flub hat on.

Me: You can't leave the ship like that
him: Like what
Me: Like crap
him: *stares, lost*
Me: I am a Sox fan
him: *stares, lost*
Me: I was just kidding because Sox fans don't like the Flubs
him: I don't even like baseball, I am just wearing this because I like the color
Me: oh... *shakes my head*

Later on I see him walking around and he is a pretty nice guy. He also is 2 paygrades above me.

Ol' No. 2
02-26-2005, 01:57 PM
Im with you voodoo. Get a sense of humor, the guy did serve you so obviously he was kidding. Sports are all about rivalrys and if you cant have some fun with it whats the point. I all the time joke around with people about not serving or helping them because of being a cubs fan and it is usually good for a laugh and sometimes a decent conversation. Now if he actually didnt serve you or actually treated you diferently for the fact that your wearing a sox jacket you would have a case but you dont. Get a sense of humorWithout hearing his voice and inflections, it's impossible to know whether he was kidding or if he was just a jerk. But even if he was serious, why lose any sleep over this? If this is the most pressing thing you have to worry about, you're a lucky person, indeed.

hsnterprize
02-26-2005, 03:03 PM
I would be dollars to donuts this guy was joking. I use that line in reverse all the time working in restaurants.

"We don't serve flubs fans here."

"Michigan Fan? Why didn't you tell me before I made the pizza, I would have used the bad sausage."

"Your boyfriend/girlfriend seems like a nice guy/girl, but he/she has terrible taste in clothing." - said to too the person with too many Packer fans to count.

I've never had anyone respond in anger. I always say it with a smile and exagerrated eye rolling and facial expressions. It's intended to start a discussion about sports, not to be a traumatic experience for the person I am talking to.

How you could take that seriously and respond so indignantly is beyond me. Trash talking is part of sports rivalrys. You either get it or you need to find another hobby that doesn't make you crazy. It's supposed to be fun and without rivalrys, being a fan isn't nearly so much fun. I know - you could call A&W HQ and raise a huge stink - or better yet, e-mail Brooks Boyer to see if the Sox will authorize a fan boycott...:rolleyes: If delivered in a joking manner, I don't see anything wrong with a little trash-talk about your favorite baseball team. However, there are times when people in the wrong position do take it a bit too far. I remember a couple of years ago I was in a souvenir store on Michigan Avenue, and the lady running the store was very nice. She sold both Cubs and Sox souvenirs, and I complimented her on being fair to both teams. She shared with me a story that to this day was a little shocking...

She went into a souvenir shop in the John Hancock Building, and she noticed there was only Cubs merchandise on the shelves. When she talked to the manager about this, he told her in a very stern and serious tone, "If you want Sox stuff, go to the south side."

Now...I can understand people loving the Cubs and what-not, but it's one thing to own a neighborhood tavern close to the ballpark, and it's another to be the manager of a store within one of the world's most recognizable buildings. In situations like that, there's NO reason why there ought not to be representation from all the big-league clubs...regardless of what team the manager likes. Yes, it would've been nice if that manager was a Sox fan, but even Grandstand on 35th and Wallace (http://www.grandstandsox.com) carries Cubs merchandise despite being only blocks away from the Cell. Once again, a joke about liking whoever is one thing, but being an idiot over it is something else.

SpammySosa
02-26-2005, 08:47 PM
Now...I can understand people loving the Cubs and what-not

I can't.

zach074
02-26-2005, 11:40 PM
Me and my dad were in a lids store in some mall looking at sox hats and the girl working there said that the real hats were up higher ( the cubs hats). My dad commented on how ugly one was and the girl said "that year was actually a disappointing year for the cubs" I responded with "isn't every year disappointing for the cubs":cool:

white sox bill
02-27-2005, 11:27 AM
I don't usually say much to cub fans..but if pushed I say that being a cub fan is like....well a birth defect.:smile: That being said, I think most cub fans are OK. Some of my best friends are huge cub fans. Just a bit misguided, but still most are ok. When I used to work at the front desk of my gym, sometimes someone would come in w/cub clothing on. I would occainsly thell them I was gona charge them double. But I had a smile on my face and they knew I was giving them crap. All of them were cool about it

batmanZoSo
02-27-2005, 11:50 AM
I've never gotten crap for wearing Sox clothing. I rarely get crap to begin with, but I've never really owned that much Sox gear except for the occasional hat.

JB98
02-28-2005, 01:59 AM
I've never gotten crap for wearing Sox clothing. I rarely get crap to begin with, but I've never really owned that much Sox gear except for the occasional hat.

Last summer, I was wearing a Sox jersey while shopping at Jewel, and an employee of the store actually walked up to me to tell me, "Sox suck." I was so stunned that I didn't have a snappy reply. I was just minding my own damn business, trying to buy some groceries.

Generally, though, I do enjoy the dirty looks I get from people while I'm out in public in Sox clothing. In this part of the suburbs, I'm definitely outnumbered by a wide margin. Some people actually do get offended when you tell them you don't give a rip about their precious Cubs.

spawn
02-28-2005, 08:47 AM
Unfortunately, in my subdivision I am surrounded by SCrub fans. Both of my next door neighbors, a neighbor two houses down, a neighbor across the street from me, and the neighbor behind me are all Cub fans. But the good thing is, and I can't believe i'm saying this, they are cool Cub fans. Sure, there is the ribbing that goes on between us all, but it's good natured. They don't walk up to me and say "Sox Suck". We all have a little fun with the rivalry.

Realist
02-28-2005, 09:32 AM
If I'm flirting with a really cute girl and suddenly she leaks out that she's a Cubs fan I usually respond with either:

"Ewww. You're a Cubs fan? That really sucks. I'm a Sox fan. Oh well....I guess we can still have angry sex."
or

"Awww. That's a shame. You were so cute to me a few seconds ago. Now you look like a boy to me."

TommyJohn
02-28-2005, 09:46 AM
If I'm flirting with a really cute girl and suddenly she leaks out that she's a Cubs fan I usually respond with either:

"Ewww. You're a Cubs fan? That really sucks. I'm a Sox fan. Oh well....I guess we can still have angry sex.

You mean you can get away with lines like that? You must be something. If I
attempted a line like that I'd get a) a bust in the mouth b) a look of total
revulsion c) a look of revulsion, then a bust in the mouth d) fired.

34 Inch Stick
02-28-2005, 10:29 AM
standing in line.

I would have been afraid to get a big clam in my sandwich. I'm sure your's was untainted.

TaylorStSox
02-28-2005, 10:30 AM
Guys, they're just baseball teams. Have some fun with it. This isn't a caste system. It's only baseball for crying out loud.

kittle42
02-28-2005, 10:57 AM
your's

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

AZChiSoxFan
02-28-2005, 11:22 AM

Classic.

chuckn98229
02-28-2005, 11:54 AM
A friend of mine was visiting from Chicago, so we drove up to Vancouver, British Columbia for the day (about 50 miles from my home). My Washington State license plate is WHT SOX and my buddy was wearing a Sox hat. Coming back into the US, the customs agent looked at us and said: 'I am going to let you back into the US, but I have some bad news for you - I have to confiscate those license plates!' (Obviously a Mariner fan.) Anyway, we all laughed and he let us go on our way - with my license plates.

white sox bill
02-28-2005, 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by Realist

"Ewww. You're a Cubs fan? That really sucks. I'm a Sox fan. Oh well....I guess we can still have angry sex.

You mean you can get away with lines like that? You must be something. If I
attempted a line like that I'd get a) a bust in the mouth b) a look of total
revulsion c) a look of revulsion, then a bust in the mouth d) fired.

Ha, with hot women, the cockier you are, the better chance of having sex you are with them. Say above line with the right smile, you may have a partner for the night:smile: !! I'll have to try that one:D:

Realist
02-28-2005, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by Realist

Ha, with hot women, the cockier you are, the better chance of having sex you are with them. Say above line with the right smile, you may have a partner for the night:smile: !! I'll have to try that one:D:

The whole secret is to smile as you say it and you have to really not mean it. I honestly stopped caring weather I "scored" with women or not about 6 years ago and they seem to really appreciate that. I swear women have a sixth sense that allows them to smell desperation miles away. :wink:

Realist
02-28-2005, 02:49 PM
If you see someone in a Cubs hat or jersey just say:

"Hey that's really nice! Did it come with a matching red rubber ball nose and floppy shoes too? Where's Cookie and Whizzo?"

I find that to be a zinger that never fails.

If you find the conversation calls for you to be downright mean for some reason, try this one:

[Warning: if you're going to use the following line, you better know how to fight, have good health insurance, and bond money hidden in your house that a loved one can get to at a moments notice]

"Ahh... a Cubs fan, eh? Soooo... did your parents have any kids that lived, or are you the miscarriage that took?"

SpammySosa
02-28-2005, 04:38 PM
Guys, they're just baseball teams. Have some fun with it. This isn't a caste system. It's only baseball for crying out loud.

ONLY BASEBALL?? :thud:

Hangar18
02-28-2005, 05:04 PM
Hangar18: So what team do you like?
AnonymousSheep: Cubs !
Hangar18: Cmon, be serious, what team do you like?
AnonymousSheep: I told you ..... the Cubs
Hangar18: So you cheer for Corporations?

MUsoxfan
02-28-2005, 05:54 PM

It may be onlybaseball, but I LOVE baseball and the White Sox. I hate my neighbors down the street that raise their Cubs flag. I will NEVER walk into Harry Caray's or a Cubby Bear. There's a place in town that makes great burgers, but since there's all Cubs stuff hanging in there I won't step foot in there and let my money be used for him to buy more Cubs crap. I do have a few friends that are Cubs fans, but they were my roommates in college and they're not huge consumers of Cubbie Blue Kool-Aid.

It may be only baseball, but I love it very much and the White Sox are a way of life to me

RichFitztightly
03-01-2005, 02:37 AM
Hey I'm with you man. For instance a couple weeks ago, I went to the hospital because I was having a problem with right arm. Well, it turns out the doctor came in and saw my Sox hat and jersey and told me, "Well, it's probably caused by cheering for the wrong team."

I heard that and I took it one step further. I said, "Well (imitating him) they obviously didn't give you a doctorate in baseball!!!" and I walked out of there.

If the ensuing infection hadn't robbed me of the existence of my right arm, I'd write that hospital a terrible letter for hiring Cub fans doctors who obviously don't know right from wrong.

Good for you mang.