PDA

View Full Version : Arizona Trying to Lure Two Grapefruit Teams to Cactus League

Viva Medias B's
02-25-2005, 10:19 AM
The State of Arizona is trying to lure the Cleveland Indians and another team, either Houston or Cincinnati, to Arizona.

Link (http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/index.php?page=pro&story_id=022505c2_cactusleague&page_number=0)

TDog
02-25-2005, 11:34 AM
I don't believe Hi Corbett could support a second spring training team. The city could take some of Reid Park for practice fields -- they could even gut a public golf course -- but I don't think Tucson residents would approve. The Hi Corbett complex is much more compact than either of the team sites at the TEP complex. It may be possible to have a complex removed from an exhibition stadium. Some teams in Florida were doing that a decade ago, if they're not still doing it today. Scottsdale's complex may still be separate from the exhibition park. I haven't been there since 1998.

Marana, just outside of Tucson, might be a good location for a new complex to house one or two teams. But I don't see teams training outside of the two metro areas.

I'm not even sure that people in areas already full of baseball are so interested in bringing more teams. Getting people to agree to vote to raise the bed-and-board tax just so they can have more baseball for a month may be tough.