PDA

View Full Version : Cell: launching pad

hose
02-25-2005, 06:10 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-sox25.html

What about putting a facade on the new roof to cut down on some of the wind?

A big huge spoiler in effect.

zach074
02-25-2005, 06:48 AM
So you wan't to turn USCF into a sports car, I like that idea! Can it be a Viper?:cool:

Kuzman
02-25-2005, 07:44 AM
Is this the same kind of idea they had for soldier field?

Huisj
02-25-2005, 09:41 AM
Is this the same kind of idea they had for soldier field?

what kind of idea was that? build an upper deck that looks like a flying saucer just landed on the stadium?

GiveMeSox
02-25-2005, 09:48 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-sox25.html

What about putting a facade on the new roof to cut down on some of the wind?

A big huge spoiler in effect.

Kw talked about this at soxfest and said they did do structural analysis to portray how wind current would change in the ballpark after the new roof. He said they didn't anticipate what happened last year, but they did anticipate a reduction in the previous swirling winds that were all so prevalent at the park before the new roof. You could see garbage swirling around the stadium and behind the plate with the wind. Now he said that doesn't happen so in essence what happened is the prevailing wind currents actually play out on the ball instead of the swirl from the old roof. With the roof being more open the wind blows on the field the same way it blows outside the field, no swirling action. The increase in homers is simply a function of the wind direction during summer months. Batters hit the ball from the west to the east at our park (slightly a little north to south as well). The prevailing wind patterns in the summer are westerly about 80% from weather statistics. Meaning 80% of the time the wind is inside the stadium blowing out, where as before the westerly winds or any winds would result in a swirl.

Jerko
02-25-2005, 10:03 AM
Maybe the new fundamentals area will change things around a little. The wind that blows out usually can be "deflected" back towards the field. I don't know, I'm just throwin things out there cause I'm bored WAITING FOR THE SEASON TO START!

iamkoza
02-25-2005, 10:16 AM
they moved the fences in 3 yars ago right?.... i guess they wont be moving them back out either

Clembasbal
02-25-2005, 10:25 AM
they moved the fences in 3 yars ago right?.... i guess they wont be moving them back out either

Not going to happen, especially because there are seats in these places, as well at the Bullpen Sports Bar and the White Sox Bullpen.

I think putting up a HR porch (or a hotel building in left field like the factory at Camden Yards) will stop the wind movement to go back to a swirling.

DMarte708
02-25-2005, 10:26 AM
Maybe the new fundamentals area will change things around a little. The wind that blows out usually can be "deflected" back towards the field. I don't know, I'm just throwin things out there cause I'm bored WAITING FOR THE SEASON TO START!

If anything, the huge billboards in LF were responsible for knocking down high fly balls. It's scary to imagine our park becoming more HR friendly, but its entirely possibly.

MIgrenade
02-25-2005, 11:12 AM
I say we see what happens when hitters aren't on drugs. There will still be a lot of HR's but won't be as bad.

DumpJerry
02-25-2005, 11:30 AM
Kw talked about this at soxfest and said they did do structural analysis to portray how wind current would change in the ballpark after the new roof. He said they didn't anticipate what happened last year, but they did anticipate a reduction in the previous swirling winds that were all so prevalent at the park before the new roof. You could see garbage swirling around the stadium and behind the plate with the wind. Now he said that doesn't happen so in essence what happened is the prevailing wind currents actually play out on the ball instead of the swirl from the old roof. With the roof being more open the wind blows on the field the same way it blows outside the field, no swirling action. The increase in homers is simply a function of the wind direction during summer months. Batters hit the ball from the west to the east at our park (slightly a little north to south as well). The prevailing wind patterns in the summer are westerly about 80% from weather statistics. Meaning 80% of the time the wind is inside the stadium blowing out, where as before the westerly winds or any winds would result in a swirl.
Ok.

Jabroni
02-25-2005, 11:51 AM
Kw talked about this at soxfest and said they did do structural analysis to portray how wind current would change in the ballpark after the new roof. He said they didn't anticipate what happened last year, but they did anticipate a reduction in the previous swirling winds that were all so prevalent at the park before the new roof. You could see garbage swirling around the stadium and behind the plate with the wind. Now he said that doesn't happen so in essence what happened is the prevailing wind currents actually play out on the ball instead of the swirl from the old roof. With the roof being more open the wind blows on the field the same way it blows outside the field, no swirling action. The increase in homers is simply a function of the wind direction during summer months. Batters hit the ball from the west to the east at our park (slightly a little north to south as well). The prevailing wind patterns in the summer are westerly about 80% from weather statistics. Meaning 80% of the time the wind is inside the stadium blowing out, where as before the westerly winds or any winds would result in a swirl.So instead of the old roof causing the wind to swirl, the new renovated roof creates a wind tunnel effect causing balls to fly out along the path of the blowing wind. Makes sense to me.

Ol' No. 2
02-25-2005, 12:05 PM
So instead of the old roof causing the wind to swirl, the new renovated roof creates a wind tunnel effect causing balls to fly out along the path of the blowing wind. Makes sense to me.I don't think it's as much the new roof creating a wind tunnel effect as just eliminating the odd swirling pattern. I recall when the place was first being built everybody thought there would be a lot of HR because they put home plate in the NW corner instead of the traditional SW corner. The prevailing westerlies blow to LF. I don't think it's any more complicated than that.

Lip Man 1
02-25-2005, 12:10 PM
It's still too early to draw any long term conclusions. Perhaps the weather patterns and currents were a fluke last year. Also as Williams himself said in the story, maybe it was just bad pitchers and good hitters.

We'll see.

Lip

tacosalbarojas
02-25-2005, 01:02 PM
It's still too early to draw any long term conclusions. Perhaps the weather patterns and currents were a fluke last year. Also as Williams himself said in the story, maybe it was just bad pitchers and good hitters.

We'll see.

LipPK said as much on Labor Day here on the Score with Jesse Rogers. He said he thought the weather was just warmer in the early months. I don't know about that...maybe it was.

Tekijawa
02-25-2005, 01:09 PM
I don't think it had anything to do with the wind... I think we just Left Mike Jackson in to long. He'd give up a few dongs and start the big inning and the opposing pitchers would tighten up from the long time between innings and they'd throw big ole meat balls to our guys.

GiveMeSox
02-25-2005, 01:22 PM
So instead of the old roof causing the wind to swirl, the new renovated roof creates a wind tunnel effect causing balls to fly out along the path of the blowing wind. Makes sense to me.

Its not necissarily like that. The new roof doens't create a wind tunnel, its just cuts down on the wind swirl effect the old bowl shaped design created. Now more often than not the wind on the playing field is just the same as the prevailing wind direction at the time, in the summer times West to East. Which just so happens to be the direction of field, hitter hit West to East out to left. And there ya go.

GiveMeSox
02-25-2005, 01:24 PM
I don't think it had anything to do with the wind... I think we just Left Mike Jackson in to long. He'd give up a few dongs and start the big inning and the opposing pitchers would tighten up from the long time between innings and they'd throw big ole meat balls to our guys.

You would probably be surprised how many of the homers hit at the Cell would be outs at other stadiums. Id say probably 60 to 70% of all homers landed either in the pen, or first few rows of the bleachers. Thats still very short. In the pen has to be between 330-350 ft and bleachers 350-380. Those are outs or at least less than homers in other stadiums.

MRKARNO
02-25-2005, 02:00 PM

I think it does. I can remember going to a lot of games last year and looking at the flags in the outfield and seeing them waving in the direction that would lead to more HRs (Eastward and Southward, if that's a word) with great intensity and thinking "There are gonna be a lot of homers today" and sure enough on those days there were a lot of HRs. It may have been a fluke, so I think it's fair to give the whole thing one more year or two before calling it a definite trend.

If you want to look at a particular series or two that really set the tone for the rest of the year with the offense, look to those 5 games we had with Philly and Atlanta in early June, (6/8 to 6/13) especially those two games with the Phillies where both teams scored double digits in both games. In the first game there were 9 homers and 8 in the second game. It was absolutely ridicuous.

Gremlin3
02-25-2005, 02:37 PM
what kind of idea was that? build an upper deck that looks like a flying saucer just landed on the stadium?

Looks funny from the outside, but awesome inside

jdm2662
02-25-2005, 02:39 PM
I remember watching the home run derby in 2003 and my friend and I were commenting on how the ball doesn't jump at all in the park. Imagine how the home run derby would've been like had it been held there last year...
________
Macintosh Games (http://macgame.org)

hosieryofthegods
02-25-2005, 04:08 PM
I think it does. I can remember going to a lot of games last year and looking at the flags in the outfield and seeing them waving in the direction that would lead to more HRs (Eastward and Southward, if that's a word) with great intensity and thinking "There are gonna be a lot of homers today" and sure enough on those days there were a lot of HRs. It may have been a fluke, so I think it's fair to give the whole thing one more year or two before calling it a definite trend.

If you want to look at a particular series or two that really set the tone for the rest of the year with the offense, look to those 5 games we had with Philly and Atlanta in early June, (6/8 to 6/13) especially those two games with the Phillies where both teams scored double digits in both games. In the first game there were 9 homers and 8 in the second game. It was absolutely ridicuous.

I was thinking about the same games. It was absolutely ridicuous, but funny. Made all the pitchers look terrible.

HomeFish
02-25-2005, 04:14 PM
That first Philly game was probably the most fun I've ever had at the ballpark. I believe the Sox and Phils both put up 6-run first innings, then Philadelphia put up a 3-run second, to which the Sox responded with a second 6-run inning.

Later in the game, Mike Jackson loaded up the bases for Jim Thome. I had snuck down to right behind the batter's box by then, and this guy sitting next to me was doing his Jom Thome caveman impression after each pitch..."URG...ME JIM THOME", or "URG...JIME THONE NO LIKE HIGH FASTBALL!". Thome then hit a grand slam, but Cliff Polite hung on for the save.

Chisox003
02-25-2005, 06:00 PM
That first Philly game was probably the most fun I've ever had at the ballpark. I believe the Sox and Phils both put up 6-run first innings, then Philadelphia put up a 3-run second, to which the Sox responded with a second 6-run inning.

Later in the game, Mike Jackson loaded up the bases for Jim Thome. I had snuck down to right behind the batter's box by then, and this guy sitting next to me was doing his Jom Thome caveman impression after each pitch..."URG...ME JIM THOME", or "URG...JIME THONE NO LIKE HIGH FASTBALL!". Thome then hit a grand slam, but Cliff Polite hung on for the save.

I was also at that game...Ryan Madson's first ML start if I remember right...

I had Buehrle starting on my fantasy team that night, and I was excited to go watch him pitch 7 shutout innings...After that 1st inning I wasnt too happy, but it was still a wild game....

HR's all over the place...Thome is a beast, thank God we dont have to see him 19 times a year

DMarte708
02-25-2005, 06:43 PM

You knew the night was long when JIm Thome's first home run was within 10 feet of the ground. I remember Hawk continuing his usual stinct about Jim Thome being a "Sox killer," and then following Thome's home run with traditional silence.

Did anyone notice a trend which developed with Billy Koch, and especially Mike Jackson, when Sox were attempting a comeback? However many runs Jackson/Koch gave up after the 7th inning, the Sox would score ONE less. I swear, it had to have happened 9 or 10 seperate occasions.

Fake Chet Lemon
02-25-2005, 10:06 PM

I asked Kenny Williams this at the mic at Soxfest. I was shocked at his honesty. But he said that moving the fences back would bring fan interference into play. Then he rolled his eyes and said "And we all know we never have these issues in our park." Funny, but yet sad that these ass-clowns who have run onto the field in the past could now cost our team a game or two this year. We need to get to them before security, they'll be begging for security.................

kevingrt
02-26-2005, 09:11 AM
I remember watching the home run derby in 2003 and my friend and I were commenting on how the ball doesn't jump at all in the park. Imagine how the home run derby would've been like had it been held there last year...

See the thing is the ball jumps at the ball park but it jumps just enough to go over the fences. The Cell is one of the leading HR ballparks the past few years and that's why the moves by KW are kinda interesante.

But I see your point. At the HR derby every HR was a couple rows into the seats. Maybe one HR hit the concourse or something but nothing extraodinary. I wanted to see one fly out of the ballpark through the little bars by the ads. But maybe they forgot their pills in their home clubhouses? I don't know...