PDA

View Full Version : Wrigley Blues

Ol' No. 2
02-24-2005, 11:33 PM
Did anyone see the story in the Feb 28 SI about the book Wrigley Blue? It's your basic Cubs fan hand-wringer, but the review hilarious. This Cubs fan is so sure they were going to win the WS last year he sets out to follow their every move and chronicle it into a book. He's going to make a killing selling it to Cubs fans. The working title is Armed and Dangerous. You know how it turns out. The book review chronicles the steady slide, starting from their 13-2 whooping by the mighty Pittsburgh Pirates in the home opener, through LaTroy Hawkins' implosion against the Cards in July and Farnsworth's gasoline job against the Astros in August, finally ending with Sammy Sosa's Day Off. Here's an excerpt:

"Somewhere in the span from April to October the title of my book changed from Armed and Dangerous to Wrigley Blues. Over those fateful months my pie-in-the-sky romp to the World Series morphed inot just another installment in baseball's longest oddest tale of woe."

I just may buy the book.

SOXintheBURGH
02-24-2005, 11:35 PM
Did anyone see the story in the Feb 28 SI about the book Wrigley Blue? It's your basic Cubs fan hand-wringer, but the review hilarious. This Cubs fan is so sure they were going to win the WS last year he sets out to follow their every move and chronicle it into a book. He's going to make a killing selling it to Cubs fans. The working title is Armed and Dangerous. You know how it turns out. The book review chronicles the steady slide, starting from their 13-2 whooping by the mighty Pittsburgh Pirates in the home opener, through LaTroy Hawkins' implosion against the Cards in July and Farnsworth's gasoline job against the Astros in August, finally ending with Sammy Sosa's Day Off. Here's an excerpt:

"Somewhere in the span from April to October the title of my book changed from Armed and Dangerous to Wrigley Blues. Over those fateful months my pie-in-the-sky romp to the World Series morphed inot just another installment in baseball's longest oddest tale of woe."

I just may buy the book.

I bet you can't guess what happens at the end!

BRDSR
02-25-2005, 12:58 AM

As an English major and a fan of Friends' Chandeler..."Could he USE more cliches in that passage?"

HebrewHammer
02-25-2005, 01:16 AM
Seriously, would it make me a bad Sox fan to want to buy this?

dcb33
02-25-2005, 02:55 AM

Not at all. Even if you bought the book, it wouldn't make you a bad Sox fan. Think about it- what's the most this guy will make off the sale of one book- five or six bucks? Big deal. The infinite enjoyment you would get out of reading about and laughing at some pathetic Cubs fan's misery for actually believing his team had a chance to win would far outweigh the small monetary gain he would realize by selling you a book.

mantis1212
02-25-2005, 10:34 AM

Come on, you're gonna buy a book about the Cubs? It could make you a bad fan if you don't own or have read any Sox books. That's not the case, is it?

robiwho
02-25-2005, 10:38 AM

Get it from the library!

Baby Fisk
02-25-2005, 10:42 AM
There's an entire forum here at WSI where people can get their jollies over the Cubs' annual crash & burn. And it's free!

Foulke You
02-25-2005, 04:37 PM
Save your money and buy one of Dan Helpingstine's White Sox books. "Through Hope and Despair" or "1959 and Beyond" I guarantee will be a far better read. You'll enjoy them way more and you won't be supporting a Sox fan and not some moronic Cub fan.

If you must read the Cub book for amusement, go to Borders and read exerpts from it there without buying it.:cool: