PDA

View Full Version : Does Ozzie realize beating Cubs is vital?

Fake Chet Lemon
02-24-2005, 09:46 PM
Ozzie didn't seem to me that he realized the importance of beating Cubs the last year. He thought they were just another game on the schedule. Agree, and do you think he'll get it now? I have to give Jerry credit, that was the one (and only) thing he did get. Or maybe Ozzie just got screwed by the rotation, I think our #5 (non)-starter was going in two of those games, and rain cancelled a potential come back or two if I recall.

soltrain21
02-24-2005, 09:52 PM
We could lose all 6 games to the Cubs as long as we make the playoffs.

DMarte708
02-24-2005, 09:54 PM
I can forsee several responses emerging from this thread:

-"If we make it to the playoffs, but are swept by the Cubs, it won't matter."
-Gary Coleman "Who cares?" tag.
-"Real Sox fans place inner division rivals above the Cubs"

As much as I anticipate the rivalry, you can't expect Guillen to rework his rotation to accomodate the Cubs. If Twins are crunched in between both series, our #5 will be better served pitching these less meaningful games.

DMarte708
02-24-2005, 09:55 PM

LOL, two minutes too late.

soltrain21
02-24-2005, 09:56 PM
LOL, two minutes too late.

Its the truth, is it not?

DMarte708
02-24-2005, 10:00 PM
Its the truth, is it not?

It certaintly is true. But unless the Sox earn a playoff berth following a Cub sweep, life would be hell. You would have to endure three months of Cub boasting. I'd rather beat Cub ass, in addition to a playoff appearance.

I included the comment because I've seen it repeated in numerious threads throughout the offseason. Similar to topics concerning media bias, where someone says "We get no respect," and the obvious reply becomes, "We haven't earned it yet. Let the team do the talking."

Fake Chet Lemon
02-24-2005, 10:03 PM
So then you all agree with the original thought, these are just another game to Ozzie? That's depressing........

CubsfansareDRUNK
02-24-2005, 10:04 PM
Would you sweep the cubs, get swept by the cubs, but risk a playoff spot?

Palehose13
02-24-2005, 10:04 PM
Ozzie didn't seem to me that he realized the importance of beating Cubs the last year. He thought they were just another game on the schedule. Agree, and do you think he'll get it now? I have to give Jerry credit, that was the one (and only) thing he did get. Or maybe Ozzie just got screwed by the rotation, I think our #5 (non)-starter was going in two of those games, and rain cancelled a potential come back or two if I recall.

You're kidding right? The Sox took 2 out of 3 at home, and IIRC had the back end of the rotation then. Do you want him to switch the rotation just because it is the cubs? Ozzie is constantly bashing and making jokes about the cubs and he knows how much it means to the fans. He doesn't act like Jauron when playing the packers. However, even though it is bragging rights in the city if the Sox were to play Minnesota directly before or after the cub series, I would hope that Ozzie knows that the Twins series is VITAL while the cub one is about pride.

SOXPHILE
02-24-2005, 10:05 PM
I think he gets it though. When he was a player, I seem to recall him saying how he didn't like them, they get all the attention, they're media darlings, etc. Basically , he wanted to beat them then, and he wants to beat them even more now, since he's the manager.

Fake Chet Lemon
02-24-2005, 10:08 PM
You're kidding right? The Sox took 2 out of 3 at home, and IIRC had the back end of the rotation then. Do you want him to switch the rotation just because it is the cubs? Ozzie is constantly bashing and making jokes about the cubs and he knows how much it means to the fans. He doesn't act like Jauron when playing the packers. However, even though it is bragging rights in the city if the Sox were to play Minnesota directly before or after the cub series, I would hope that Ozzie knows that the Twins series is VITAL while the cub one is about pride.

No, no, no. I never meant to infer that we should switch the rotation around for any inter-league game. But don't treat them like they are any other game. It's NOT THE SAME as playing the Toronto Blue Jays. But in Ozzie's eyes, I think he feels that way.

Gosox1917
02-24-2005, 10:09 PM
It's more than just another game, but I don't think we should re-arrange the rotation just to get our #1, 2, and 3 pitchers to pitch against them. Save any rearranging of the rotation for a big series against the Twins. While the Cubs/Sox games are huge for the city, beating the Twins and teams in our division are ultimatley the most important.

Palehose13
02-24-2005, 10:15 PM
No, no, no. I never meant to infer that we should switch the rotation around for any inter-league game. But don't treat them like they are any other game. It's NOT THE SAME as playing the Toronto Blue Jays. But in Ozzie's eyes, I think he feels that way.

Oh I don't think so. At SoxFest, he was ripping the cubs constantly. He takes jabs at them in the media too. I htink he definitely knows what the series is about.

Sargeant79
02-24-2005, 10:17 PM
I'm all for beating the Cubs as much as possible. It's a great rivalry and its a great feeling to be able to say that we got the best of the other team in town. But I think this question itself speaks to the problem we all have. I know this will probably be a fairly unpopular opinion, but I think we, as Sox fans, should be spending a lot less time worrying about what the Cubs are doing and focus more on our own team.

For six games a year, we need to worry about what the Cubs are doing...and that's it. It's this preoccupation with the Cubs that contributes to Cub fans' perceptions and those of a lot of other outside observers that we have the second class team in this city. To them, our Cub-bashing is interpreted as having a chip on our shoulder or trying to keep up with the bigger team. We have a great team, a great organization (most of the time), the best ballpark in town, and the best fans in town. Hell with the Cubs. We shouldn't even be thinking about them except when we're playing them. We should be thinking about winning our division and making some noise in the postseason.

Chisox003
02-24-2005, 10:20 PM
Guys...Ozzie played here for how long again?

Hes been involved with Chicago and the Sox for almost his entire baseball career...If he doesnt get it (He does) I doubt he ever will

Lets worry about the twins...Although Im extremely stressed out during those 6 games with you know who, they literally almost kill me...

Especially being at the games and hearing little 6 year old flubs fans screaming "THE SOX SUCK!! SOX FANS SUCK!!!" and his drunk dad nodding and laughing in approval...Ohhh man dont get me goin

The Racehorse
02-24-2005, 10:25 PM

:cleo
"I tink you are right!"

oeo
02-24-2005, 10:25 PM
It certaintly is true. But unless the Sox earn a playoff berth following a Cub sweep, life would be hell. You would have to endure three months of Cub boasting. I'd rather beat Cub ass, in addition to a playoff appearance.

I included the comment because I've seen it repeated in numerious threads throughout the offseason. Similar to topics concerning media bias, where someone says "We get no respect," and the obvious reply becomes, "We haven't earned it yet. Let the team do the talking."

That's why you do what I do, don't talk to Cubs fans about baseball. Anytime I've ever had a conversation with a Cubs fan about baseball, I think my IQ dropped. So whenever a Cubs fan tries to talk about how the White Sox suck, I ignore them, even the best of my friends.

Norberto7
02-24-2005, 10:34 PM
Especially being at the games and hearing little 6 year old flubs fans screaming "THE SOX SUCK!! SOX FANS SUCK!!!" and his drunk dad nodding and laughing in approval...Ohhh man dont get me goin

Darren Baker!?

champagne030
02-24-2005, 11:03 PM
It's more than just another game, but I don't think we should re-arrange the rotation just to get our #1, 2, and 3 pitchers to pitch against them. Save any rearranging of the rotation for a big series against the Twins. While the Cubs/Sox games are huge for the city, beating the Twins and teams in our division are ultimatley the most important.

i agree to not adjust the rotation to mess with a divisional rival, but this year we play them at the urinal after a home series' against shammy and texas (followed by an off day). we play them at home after a day off from a kc series and is followed by a day off before we go to detroit........

MUsoxfan
02-25-2005, 03:01 AM

Thank you for preventing all of the above from occuring! Esp. that "Who Cares?" tag that I despise so much

Fake Chet Lemon
02-25-2005, 08:01 AM
I'm all for beating the Cubs as much as possible. It's a great rivalry and its a great feeling to be able to say that we got the best of the other team in town. But I think this question itself speaks to the problem we all have. I know this will probably be a fairly unpopular opinion, but I think we, as Sox fans, should be spending a lot less time worrying about what the Cubs are doing and focus more on our own team.

For six games a year, we need to worry about what the Cubs are doing...and that's it. It's this preoccupation with the Cubs that contributes to Cub fans' perceptions and those of a lot of other outside observers that we have the second class team in this city. To them, our Cub-bashing is interpreted as having a chip on our shoulder or trying to keep up with the bigger team. We have a great team, a great organization (most of the time), the best ballpark in town, and the best fans in town. Hell with the Cubs. We shouldn't even be thinking about them except when we're playing them. We should be thinking about winning our division and making some noise in the postseason.

But.....the reality is we ARE treated as a second class team. It's so EASY to be a Cubs fan. The Sox and their fans have to FIGHT for respect. I was in a bar in Elgin with 5 TV's last year. They refused to change even one of them to the Sox game because the Cubs were also playing. It wasn't some technical thing either, like the TV's were all linked. But getting back on track to the original point, I think Ozzie learned a lesson or two last year. He won't undervalue the Cubs series again this year. And of course, no it's not as important as a Twins series either.

wdelaney72
02-25-2005, 08:18 AM
:threadsucks

Ozzie gets how important it is, which is not really, when you compare it to beating the teams in your division, which gives you a better chance of making the playoffs.

Ol' No. 2
02-25-2005, 08:34 AM
All things considered, it's more important than beating Arizona, but not so important as beating the Twins. I think he gets it.

spawn
02-25-2005, 08:38 AM
I don't care if we lose 4 of 6 to the Cubs as long as we dominate our own division and make the playoffs. Sure, I'd love for us to win the season series against the Flubs, but IMO, that wouldn't make it a successful season.

34 Inch Stick
02-25-2005, 09:01 AM
Just like the bull on the hill talking to his son about the cows down in the valley, I say we take it slowly and win them all.

The Cubs series is a fun break in a very long season.

Palehose13
02-25-2005, 09:03 AM
But.....the reality is we ARE treated as a second class team. It's so EASY to be a Cubs fan. The Sox and their fans have to FIGHT for respect. I was in a bar in Elgin with 5 TV's last year. They refused to change even one of them to the Sox game because the Cubs were also playing. It wasn't some technical thing either, like the TV's were all linked. But getting back on track to the original point, I think Ozzie learned a lesson or two last year. He won't undervalue the Cubs series again this year. And of course, no it's not as important as a Twins series either.

I'm used to getting no respect and being treated as a second class citizen. Suck it up. It builds character. :wink:

Jerko
02-25-2005, 09:12 AM
Guys, we can beat the Cubs 6 times a year for the next 10 years and we're still gonna hear the same garbage from/about them as we do now. How about EVERY game being important to win? Yeah it's fun beating the Cubs, but you can't even "rub it in" to their idiot fans because all you'll hear back is "look at the attendance". They say that when they win, they say that when they lose. I know no team is gonna go 162-0 (I mean if last year's Cubs could not do it, who ever will?) but I'd like to think our manager thinks it's important to win every game.

AZChiSoxFan
02-25-2005, 09:18 AM

Agree

nccwsfan
02-25-2005, 09:35 AM
I consider the Twins series to be more vital (much more vital) than the Cubs series. No one here wants to lose to the Cubs, but in the end it's about the trophy, and Minnesota is the first hurdle we need to clear...

VivaOzzie
02-25-2005, 01:58 PM
That's why you do what I do, don't talk to Cubs fans about baseball. Anytime I've ever had a conversation with a Cubs fan about baseball, I think my IQ dropped. So whenever a Cubs fan tries to talk about how the White Sox suck, I ignore them, even the best of my friends.

So true. When I talk to my friends, who are almost ALL sCrUB fans, I end up knowing more about the cubs than they do, even though I cant stand the cubs. Typical of cubs 'fans'.

RKMeibalane
02-25-2005, 02:14 PM
:threadblows:

pudge
02-25-2005, 03:25 PM
So then you all agree with the original thought, these are just another game to Ozzie? That's depressing........

What's depressing is the Sox fan inferiority complex.

tebman
02-25-2005, 03:57 PM
I consider the Twins series to be more vital (much more vital) than the Cubs series. No one here wants to lose to the Cubs, but in the end it's about the trophy, and Minnesota is the first hurdle we need to clear...

:thumbsup:

The Sox need to sweep the Cubs on their way to the division championship. They also need to sweep the Tigers, the Royals, and the Indians. When that happens, the blue-sportswear-clad lemmings won't have anything left to say.

- tebman

TaylorStSox
02-27-2005, 11:02 PM

Somebody buy this guy a beer!!!! :gulp:

Iguana775
02-28-2005, 07:13 AM
this sounds Cubs-like. me no likey.

i'd forfeit those games just to win the division and do good in the playoffs....ie, winning their first series.