PDA

View Full Version : Good Guys Wear Black

ghostfacesox
02-24-2005, 09:51 PM
Ther have been many Sox marketing lines over the years what are the oldest you guys can remember besides the obvious The Kids Can Play?:cool:

SOXintheBURGH
02-24-2005, 09:54 PM
Strangely, the only ones I can remember are Good Guys Wear Black, Sox Pride, and The Kids Can Play.

soltrain21
02-24-2005, 09:54 PM
I liked Batman, Batman and Robin.

Chisox003
02-24-2005, 09:55 PM
A few yearss ago, I believe 2001 when Clayton and Wells came to town, the saying was "Its Time"

Complete flop, just like the team

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-24-2005, 10:01 PM
I remember one with Jerry Manuel telling us to bring our A game. Hey Jerry, when YOU start bringing your A game, I'll start bringing MY A game. Thankfully, Jerry's no longer manager. :smile:

zach074
02-24-2005, 10:02 PM
Come ready to play. :bandance:

PaleHoseGeorge
02-24-2005, 10:06 PM
I liked Batman, Batman and Robin.

"Line Shot. For the bad guys it's no runs, no hits, no mercy."

RedPinStripes
02-24-2005, 10:09 PM
A few yearss ago, I believe 2001 when Clayton and Wells came to town, the saying was "Its Time"

Complete flop, just like the team

That's one promo I cant help but laugh every time i hear it. LOL!

Brian26
02-24-2005, 10:22 PM
That's one promo I cant help but laugh every time i hear it. LOL!

I think they actually took that advertising off the marketing campaign around early June of that year. "It's Time" didn't even last a whole season.

SOX ADDICT '73
02-24-2005, 11:49 PM
I remember one billboard, the year that Albert "Joey" Belle came to town. It was made up to look like an inter-office memo, and read something like, "Dear Jerry: Please order more baseballs. Thanks, Frank & Albert."

SOXintheBURGH
02-24-2005, 11:50 PM
Major League Baseball: 8.9 (?) Miles South

SaltyPretzel
02-24-2005, 11:52 PM
Soxfest...Baseball's Best!

tstrike2000
02-25-2005, 12:13 AM
I loved the "Good Guys Wear Black" because those were the days with a young Frank and Robin with the great pitching staff of McDowell, Fernandez, Alverez, and Bere. That '93 team could be like this years '05 team with more speed and defense and beefed up pitching. Let's hope.

TDog
02-25-2005, 12:29 AM
Angry Young Men

The 1970 campaign. You'd be angry, too, if you lost all the time.

The problem with most campaigns is that they can become jokes if the team doesn't succeed. In baseball, just about every team in just about every year doesn't succeed.

I remember walking out of the cold park on Sunday afternoons in 2001 complaining, "It's time to start winning." Seeing the slogan on a billboard on my drive back to Wisconsin after some of those bad losses didn't make me feel any better.

Nellie_Fox
02-25-2005, 12:30 AM
One of the oddest promotions of all time, because it focused on the general manager! "The Hawk Wants You" with a cartoon picture of Hawk in a cowboy hat.

HomeFish
02-25-2005, 12:34 AM
One of the oddest promotions of all time, because it focused on the general manager! "The Hawk Wants You" with a cartoon picture of Hawk in a cowboy hat.

I think Kenny is building a sufficiently positive and popular reputation with the fans that a GM-based promotion could work today.

StillMissOzzie
02-25-2005, 12:37 AM
"Let's Do It Again (Like We Did Last Summer)" - 1984

Talk about complete flops...White Sox expectations were sky high, and the sCrUBS end up in the post season instead. At least I had the satisfaction of laughing at Leon Durham to my sCrUB fan friends after they gave me grief for Luzinski striking out in the 1983 playoffs.

SMO
:gulp:

paciorek1983
02-25-2005, 12:50 AM
1982 We Are Ready ----or something like that:?:

1988 Anything Can Happen:o:

1989 Chicago's American Past Time:cool:

1990 The Last Season at Historic Comiskey Park---Years From Now, You'll Say You Were There :whiner: :wink:

paciorek1983
02-25-2005, 12:52 AM
"Let's Do It Again (Like We Did Last Summer)" - 1984

Talk about complete flops...White Sox expectations were sky high, and the sCrUBS end up in the post season instead. At least I had the satisfaction of laughing at Leon Durham to my sCrUB fan friends after they gave me grief for Luzinski striking out in the 1983 playoffs.

SMO
:gulp:

I think Chubby Checker was in the TV comercial for that one.:bandance:

chisoxmike
02-25-2005, 01:25 AM
I remember the "Good Guys Wear Black" theme, probably the best one in my lifetime next to the new "Sox Pride."

I also remember "Its Time" which was a complete and utter joke to the fans. The next season it was changed to "Come Ready To Play." They should've added "...becuase we may need you."

I don't remember any in 2003, "Meltdown" would've been fitting.

"Line Shot" was...what... '98? That didn't pan out becuase Ventura was injured for most of the season.

HITMEN OF 77
02-25-2005, 01:32 AM
[QUOTE=TDog]Angry Young Men

The 1970 campaign. You'd be angry, too, if you lost all the time.
QUOTE]

Among my all time favorites. Another great one from '70 was "See the Sox Go In 7 O"

MUsoxfan
02-25-2005, 04:04 AM
"Good Guys Wear Black" is probably their most successful marketing tag. I love it and every Sox fan I know still refers to it

SoxFan76
02-25-2005, 04:23 AM
Bear with me....:gulp:

Ok, I think Good Guys Wear Black was genius, because what do you associate with black? Evil. Who wants to market an evil team? I think this marketing campaign was so smart, and it really told people that it's ok to root for the black and silver team.

Church Turtle
02-25-2005, 07:39 AM
As I recall the "Bring your A Game" campaign featured Manuel "Calling out" other teams in the league.

I seem to recall at least an ad campaign (maybe not lasting the entire year) during the 1990 season that featured the young stars of the team and included the tag "Who Are These Guys?" Am I wrong on that?

jenmcm76
02-25-2005, 09:05 AM
I seem to recall at least an ad campaign (maybe not lasting the entire year) during the 1990 season that featured the young stars of the team and included the tag "Who Are These Guys?" Am I wrong on that?

They should do something like that again this year, with all the new faces they have. Or a ripoff of the American Express card ad in Major League: "Hi, you might not recognize us, but we're a major league ball team....."

Ol' No. 2
02-25-2005, 09:31 AM
I remember one billboard, the year that Albert "Joey" Belle came to town. It was made up to look like an inter-office memo, and read something like, "Dear Jerry: Please order more baseballs. Thanks, Frank & Albert."I remember that one, too. They should have had Jamie Navarro on the billboard, too.:(:

Baby Fisk
02-25-2005, 09:56 AM
I loved the "Good Guys Wear Black" because those were the days with a young Frank and Robin with the great pitching staff of McDowell, Fernandez, Alverez, and Bere. That '93 team could be like this years '05 team with more speed and defense and beefed up pitching. Let's hope.

That is an awesome sig, tstrike2000. :thumbsup:

Johnny Mostil
02-25-2005, 10:01 AM
\
1990 The Last Season at Historic Comiskey Park---Years From Now, You'll Say You Were There :whiner: :wink:

I always thought that one should have been "If you wreck it, they will come."

Baby Fisk
02-25-2005, 10:26 AM
I think Kenny is building a sufficiently positive and popular reputation with the fans that a GM-based promotion could work today.

This time last year, there was a lot more hate for KW on this board than there is today. This off season made him look great in many eyes. And of course, that black hoodie just made him a pop icon in the Sox universe.

nccwsfan
02-25-2005, 10:30 AM
I remember that one, too. They should have had Jamie Navarro on the billboard, too.:(:

Ha ha....funny

Soxfest

Let's Do It Again

The Hawk wants you!

Anything can happen

The 1990 season- final season at Old Comiskey

Good Guys Wear Black

gosox41
02-25-2005, 10:47 AM
Strangely, the only ones I can remember are Good Guys Wear Black, Sox Pride, and The Kids Can Play.

Maybe the Sox can stop coming up with corny slogans and get the one slogan guaranteed do draw fans:

"Chicago White Sox: 2005 World Series Champions"

All the other slogans (some corny, some good) are easy to use to make fun of the team when they disappoint.

Bob

mjharrison72
02-25-2005, 11:19 AM
It definitely would clash with the "Under the Radar" approach to this season, though...

Lip Man 1
02-25-2005, 01:33 PM
In the mid 1960's (I don't have the exact dates) an entire advertising, promotion, marketing campaign was build around a very catchy tune called 'The White Sox song.'

It was played by organist Shay Torrent at Comiskey Park, you heard it in radio jingles and on TV. In fact words were actually penned to the song (which I happen to have...) and used in some of the radio spots (I have two of them...)

"and it's a wonderful way to get away from it all, when the umpire yells play ball!

There's plenty of action, the crowd is tense, there goes a long one over the fence.

So go,go,go,go, go you White Sox, let's have another win today.

There all game, in that ballgame, come on and watch your White Sox play!"

Studio DJ: Yea you go on out there and cheer on your White Sox as they open their home season April 15, this Thursday against the Washington Senators..."

Ahhh for the days when baseball WAS baseball.

By the way Bob, I agree with your thought on the best advertising slogan is winning.

Lip

Muopsies
02-25-2005, 02:21 PM
That's a terrible slogan, especially when one remebers what did happen, finishing slightly above the terrible Seattle Mariners. I remember the programs for the '89 season, our run to the cellar of the A.L. West, they were replicas of the 1917 World Series programs. As for 1990, the one I remeber was with Fisk going to the dugout and all the old Sox players were on the field. Anyone else remember that?

Lip Man 1
02-25-2005, 03:01 PM
Yes I have that program from the last game at the original Coimiskey Park.

Lip

TheRedStapler
02-25-2005, 03:20 PM
The problem with most campaigns is that they can become jokes if the team doesn't succeed. In baseball, just about every team in just about every year doesn't succeed.

Isn't that the truth. Kinda like the Bulls "Through Thick and Thin." Why not just say "Hey, we suck, we know it, now come on down and spend $100 bucks to watch us suck in person!" Talk about setting you up for disappointment. Fans can't complain cause "look we warned you." Fortunately it seems to be working cause there's at least something interesting to watch till April.

Come on Spring!

jdm2662
02-25-2005, 03:36 PM
The Bulls came out of nowhere with such marketing indicating your team sucks. Maybe the Sox should do that. The Bulls are actually worth watching these days. Under the radar, I kind of like that.
________
Sonic (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda_Sonic)

WhtSox4evr
02-25-2005, 03:53 PM
Hey, how about "Cold Steel on Ice" Oops, sorry, wrong sport!

Good Guys Wear Black has always been one of my favs.

RowanDye
02-25-2005, 03:56 PM
I always thought that one should have been "If you wreck it, they will come."

I don't think it was an actual Sox promotion, but I have a baseball card from '91 with a picture of the New Comiskey, a head shot of Bo Jackson, and the slogan "If you build it, they will come."

I too have fond memories of the "Good Guys Wear Black" campaign

I know it's cliche but I think something simple like "leave it on the field" would be a good marketing campaign for the current team...

Foulke You
02-25-2005, 04:16 PM
"Come Ready To Play" in 2002 was the lamest marketing campaign. "Come Ready to Play" featured all of those lame spots with Manuel where he told us if you come to our ballpark, you come ready to play. Ugh.

Those "Line Shot" commercials were great. I still have a poster somewhere of Albert, Robin, and Frank in the suits. :D:

WhiteSoxFan84
02-25-2005, 04:18 PM
"LINE SHOT" Baby!

Thomas-ventura-belle

I want Mags back
02-25-2005, 09:35 PM
Isn't that the truth. Kinda like the Bulls "Through Thick and Thin." Why not just say "Hey, we suck, we know it, now come on down and spend $100 bucks to watch us suck in person!" Talk about setting you up for disappointment. Fans can't complain cause "look we warned you." Fortunately it seems to be working cause there's at least something interesting to watch till April.

Come on Spring!

I was thinkin of posting through think and thin. how dumb is that.

I think Sox Pride is here to stay

awesomefan
02-26-2005, 01:55 AM
RowanDye....I got that same Bo Jackson baseball card with a picture of New Comiskey, but I think it read..."If you build it, He will come".

It wasn't an official big name brand card but I bought it because it was so cool.:cool:

PaleHoseGeorge
02-26-2005, 08:31 AM
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Sox TV commercial from 1993 featuring Bo Jackson and his surgically repaired hip. It featured an "x-ray" of Bo's hip with a bunch of grinding gears and a little rubber duck going "quack quack quack." Too funny...

I'm pretty sure that one won some advertising awards.
:thumbsup: