PDA

View Full Version : Williams on Borchard

Lip Man 1
02-24-2005, 06:20 PM
From Rick Gano, AP story now on Tribune web site:

"OF Joe Borchard, who struggled when called up last season after an injury to Magglio Ordonez, will be a long shot to make the 25-man roster, general manager Ken Williams said."

At least that's good news...

Lip

tstrike2000
02-24-2005, 06:28 PM

"OF Joe Borchard, who struggled when called up last season after an injury to Magglio Ordonez, will be a long shot to make the 25-man roster, general manager Ken Williams said."

Lip

I think it is good news. He hasn't proven he can hit 3/4 his weight at the major league level. I always laugh when Hal Vickery mentions hitting above the "Borchard Line" which is .150 as opposed the previous low for batting with the "Mendoza Line" of .200.

RKMeibalane
02-24-2005, 06:32 PM
Borchard is all but finished in Major League Baseball. I think we're going to see him follow Drew Henson's lead and look for an opportunity in the NFL. His days with the Sox are numbered.

HITMEN OF 77
02-24-2005, 06:40 PM
How much did the Sox invest in Borchard anyway? It's sorta sad if he doesn't pan out. He does show some flashes of talent now and then.

RKMeibalane
02-24-2005, 06:51 PM
How much did the Sox invest in Borchard anyway? It's sorta sad if he doesn't pan out. He does show some flashes of talent now and then.

I don't remember the exact amount, but I know that the investment was fairly large.

MUsoxfan
02-24-2005, 06:54 PM
I don't remember the exact amount, but I know that the investment was fairly large.

$5.3m signing bonus

Work cited (http://charlotte.creativeloafing.com/2004-06-30/news_cover.html)

mike squires
02-24-2005, 09:46 PM
I remember a few years ago at Soxfest he was surrounded by fans including me trying to get his autograph. I made the comment, "Joe, it's just the beginning." He just kind of chuckled. Little did I know I should have completed the sentence with..."of the end"

I will always eel sorry for Joe. Last year it looked like he was so frustrated that he could cry evrytime he was walking back to the dugout.

We all know he'll go to NewYork and hit 50 dingers in a year or two.:o:

Palehose13
02-24-2005, 10:16 PM

Lip

Lip, I love it when you create a positive thread. :D:

Norberto7
02-24-2005, 10:21 PM
He may be a real bad boy, but baby....he's a real good man.

Unregistered
02-24-2005, 10:41 PM
We all know he'll go to NewYork and hit 50 dingers in a year or two.:o: I think you mean Newark, as in the Independant League...
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2529
:D:

SOXintheBURGH
02-24-2005, 10:44 PM
I think you mean Newark, as in the Independant League...

If I said it once, I've said it a thousand times: A guy who got cut by a Mexican Winter League team couldn't make it in the California Penal.

wdelaney72
02-25-2005, 08:20 AM
Future Headlines...

:hawk "He Gawn!"

JRIG
02-25-2005, 08:23 AM
Is Borchard still an untouchable? Just asking....

duke of dorwood
02-25-2005, 08:38 AM
More than a trend, but good prospects we have traded do much better than the ones they keep and ruin.

iamkoza
02-25-2005, 08:40 AM

Lip

he hit a 500' homerun.. and he can also tell his grandkids he got a 5.3 mil signing bonus to hit .150 for 30 games

Kuzman
02-25-2005, 08:55 AM
looked real promising in 2001 when he got that inside the park homer too

Iwritecode
02-25-2005, 09:22 AM
I think it is good news. He hasn't proven he can hit 3/4 his weight at the major league level. I always laugh when Hal Vickery mentions hitting above the "Borchard Line" which is .150 as opposed the previous low for batting with the "Mendoza Line" of .200.

At least it's better than the Clayton line which was .100 at one point...

gosox41
02-25-2005, 09:48 AM

$5.3 mill paid out over a 5 year period. All because he had tools. Not much baseball skill.

Bob

gosox41
02-25-2005, 09:49 AM
Is Borchard still an untouchable? Just asking....

If I were GM of another team I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot poll.

Bob

Lip Man 1
02-25-2005, 12:42 PM
Bob:

That's one of the drawbacks when your minor league philosophy appears to be more suited to the NFL... i.e. 'drafting athletes,' instead of 'drafting baseball players.'

As you well know the difference is sometimes like night and day.

Lip

cubhater
02-25-2005, 12:49 PM
I think you mean Newark, as in the Independant League...

That's where the stellar Jaime Navarro ended his career.

flo-B-flo
02-27-2005, 02:09 PM
Bob:

That's one of the drawbacks when your minor league philosophy appears to be more suited to the NFL... i.e. 'drafting athletes,' instead of 'drafting baseball players.'

As you well know the difference is sometimes like night and day.

Lip There is a very important distinction between the best athlete and the best ball player. Some folk in the scouting and player development departments will never get this. They become enamored with the physical gifts of some players and totally miss baseball intangibles that other players possess.

soxtalker
02-27-2005, 03:13 PM
Lots of people are pretty down on Joe. He was a major disappointment to us, though he's probably feeling it much more himself. I don't think that there has ever been an indication that he had a bad attitude or work ethic. And he clearly has some talent. But what is missing? What makes it so much harder to hit a major league curve ball (or other pitch) than one in the minors?

awesomefan
02-28-2005, 12:18 AM
I hate to see any White Sox player doing poorly, especially someone from our own farm system.

Poor Joe just looks kinda awkward out there, but I still have a little hope for him. Maybe he just needs the right instruction because he can hit homers & catch ok too sometimes.

I'm lookin' forward to watchin' how Joe does in the exhibition games.

RedPinStripes
02-28-2005, 05:01 AM
There was a point in time that if you said something negative about Borchard on this site, you were and idiot.

It's a shame Borchard hasnt turned out to be half the player he was supposed to be. :(:

gosox41
02-28-2005, 12:20 PM
There is a very important distinction between the best athlete and the best ball player. Some folk in the scouting and player development departments will never get this. They become enamored with the physical gifts of some players and totally miss baseball intangibles that other players possess.

Exactly. It's too abd the Sox gave the guy $5 mill for a guy who can throw a football 70 yards but can't touch a curve. Not only is this starting to turn out to be a mistake, but a huge one.

And I doubt that when Borchard was drafted they envisioned him still sucking in 2005. I bet they projected him to be at the minimum an aveage major league everyday player by now. If not, then they definitely wasted money.

It shows why scouting and statistics need to be used when evaluating a player. I'm not out to start a debate on the weight of either side, but being fully one sided doesn't cut it.

Bob

gosox41
02-28-2005, 12:21 PM
There was a point in time that if you said something negative about Borchard on this site, you were and idiot.

It's a shame Borchard hasnt turned out to be half the player he was supposed to be. :(:

You'll still get insulted by some if you get too negative about Joe.

But at least he's a great guy. If only the Sox had Mother Teresa on the team. She was a great woman and probably couldn't hit the curve ball either.

Bob

Unregistered
02-28-2005, 12:35 PM
But at least he's a great guy. If only the Sox had Mother Teresa on the team. She was a great woman and probably couldn't hit the curve ball either.

Bob That reminds me of the way people used to talk about Koch: "Worst pitcher ever, but at least after every time he sucked, he admitted how badly he sucked," as if that's some kind of hidden achievement.

gosox41
02-28-2005, 01:28 PM
That reminds me of the way people used to talk about Koch: "Worst pitcher ever, but at least after every time he sucked, he admitted how badly he sucked," as if that's some kind of hidden achievement.

No kidding. If someone were to pay me what some of these clowns are getting I'd admit everyday that I suck.

Bob

hold2dibber
02-28-2005, 02:38 PM
That reminds me of the way people used to talk about Koch: "Worst pitcher ever, but at least after every time he sucked, he admitted how badly he sucked," as if that's some kind of hidden achievement.

Ultimately, as a fan, all I really care about is how the players perform between the lines. But as a person, I respect and even admire someone who gives 100% effort and takes 100% accountability when they fail. and that is some kind of achievement, because most people (in sports or otherwise) don't do that. (See Clayton, Royce and Navarro, Jaime as a text book examples).

Unregistered
02-28-2005, 02:52 PM
Ultimately, as a fan, all I really care about is how the players perform between the lines. But as a person, I respect and even admire someone who gives 100% effort and takes 100% accountability when they fail. and that is some kind of achievement, because most people (in sports or otherwise) don't do that. (See Clayton, Royce and Navarro, Jaime as a text book examples). Yeah, I guess - but that only goes so far. If you had an employee working for you who was terrible at their job and continually screwed up, but always admitted they were terrible, I highly doubt you'd "respect and admire" them.