PDA

View Full Version : Indianapolis Sox fans?

iamkoza
02-24-2005, 04:28 PM
Hey everyone, I just moved to Indy and i'm driving myself nuts trying to figure out how to get the sox on my TV set. I was wondering if any of my fellow fans live in Indy and what they do to get sox on their TV.

If i go with directv i can get comcast sports net, but ill miss out on the games that get televised on wciu and most on wgn. I'm not sure but i think the sox would get blacked out if i ordered mlb extra innings. I was hoping someone esle lives in Indy and can share some insight

GiveMeSox
02-24-2005, 04:44 PM
Hey everyone, I just moved to Indy and i'm driving myself nuts trying to figure out how to get the sox on my TV set. I was wondering if any of my fellow fans live in Indy and what they do to get sox on their TV.

If i go with directv i can get comcast sports net, but ill miss out on the games that get televised on wciu (which are a decent amount). I'm not sure but i think the sox would get blacked out if i ordered mlb extra innings. I was hoping someone esle lives in Indy and can share some insight

Im in Lafayette, IN and the cable company here has CSN chicago and WGN as part of their basic lineup. So if you have insight or whatever cable company you have you should check the cable lineup. In terms of mlb.tv I do think all of indianapolis is blacked out however I do know a way to get around the blackouts that i could share with you.

iamkoza
02-24-2005, 04:51 PM
Im in Lafayette, IN and the cable company here has CSN chicago and WGN as part of their basic lineup. So if you have insight or whatever cable company you have you should check the cable lineup. In terms of mlb.tv I do think all of indianapolis is blacked out however I do know a way to get around the blackouts that i could share with you.

when i was at purdue (last year), we got the wgn superstation which often times didnt have the baseball games on. i just checked and there are 23 games on WCIU this season. Comcast is the provider where i live and they dont offer CSN. but i can get CSN through directv. Anyways i would just rather sign up for mlb extra innings, but im guessing it might be blacked out...

GiveMeSox
02-24-2005, 05:13 PM
when i was at purdue (last year), we got the wgn superstation which often times didnt have the baseball games on. i just checked and there are 23 games on WCIU this season. Comcast is the provider where i live and they dont offer CSN. but i can get CSN through directv. Anyways i would just rather sign up for mlb extra innings, but im guessing it might be blacked out...

Nothing in MLB extra innings is blacked out on directv. ANd i think comcast has a baseball package also to give you all the games via digital cable, not sure though. We get WGN superstation still at purdue but I was unaware of any difference between the type od WGN. I got all the games that were said to be on WGN last year, I also get like the local Chicago News at noon and 9 and stuff too, I dont know what the difference is or if there is one at all.

iamkoza
02-24-2005, 05:47 PM
Nothing in MLB extra innings is blacked out on directv. ANd i think comcast has a baseball package also to give you all the games via digital cable, not sure though. We get WGN superstation still at purdue but I was unaware of any difference between the type od WGN. I got all the games that were said to be on WGN last year, I also get like the local Chicago News at noon and 9 and stuff too, I dont know what the difference is or if there is one at all.

a lot of the afternoon games (cubs) were not shown... probably doesnt mean anything here, but i like watching chicago baseball if the white sox arent on

RKMeibalane
02-24-2005, 05:49 PM
I just watch whenever they're on WGN or ESPN.

iamkoza
02-24-2005, 06:12 PM
I just watch whenever they're on WGN or ESPN.

wish i could be happy with that, but if i dont get my daily quota of he gone's i go nuts

AZChiSoxFan
02-24-2005, 06:13 PM

If i go with directv i can get comcast sports net, but ill miss out on the games that get televised on wciu and most on wgn. I'm not sure but i think the sox would get blacked out if i ordered mlb extra innings. I was hoping someone esle lives in Indy and can share some insight

If the first three digits of your zip code are 462 (like most zips in Indy), then my guess is that Sox games will be blacked out on MLB Extra innings for you. Posted below is a link to a page where you can check out zip code blackouts for MLB.TV. I'm almost positive that MLB uses the same zip code blackouts for MLB.TV as they do for MLB Extra Innings on Directv. Once you go to the site, just used the drop down box to select "White Sox", then it will pull up the list of zip codes for which Sox games are blacked out.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/video/mlb_tv.jsp#blackout

BTW, if you can get CSN and WGN through your local cable company, it seems to me that would be your best option, as you would get all the games, except the ones on WCIU.

AZChiSoxFan
02-24-2005, 06:19 PM
BTW, if you can get CSN and WGN through your local cable company, it seems to me that would be your best option, as you would get all the games, except the ones on WCIU.[/QUOTE]

I went back and read all of your posts, and I realized that I made a mistake in my last paragraph. I see now where you wrote that Comcast in your local cable provider, but they don't offer CSN Chicago. It sounds like your best option is Directv, with CSN. Otherwise you may want to check with the person who posted above who knows how to get around the blackouts.

iamkoza
02-24-2005, 06:26 PM
If the first three digits of your zip code are 462 (like most zips in Indy), then my guess is that Sox games will be blacked out on MLB Extra innings for you. Posted below is a link to a page where you can check out zip code blackouts for MLB.TV. I'm almost positive that MLB uses the same zip code blackouts for MLB.TV as they do for MLB Extra Innings on Directv. Once you go to the site, just used the drop down box to select "White Sox", then it will pull up the list of zip codes for which Sox games are blacked out.

BTW, if you can get CSN and WGN through your local cable company, it seems to me that would be your best option, as you would get all the games, except the ones on WCIU.

I saw that, which really surprised me, i didnt realize indy was in the sox zone... but how can i be in their local zone if i cant even get the games on wciu?? seems retarded... i was just hoping that list pertained to only mlb.tv

AZChiSoxFan
02-24-2005, 06:29 PM
I saw that, which really surprised me, i didnt realize indy was in the sox zone... but how can i be in their local zone if i cant even get the games on wciu?? seems retarded... i was just hoping that list pertained to only mlb.tv

It is TOTALLY retarted. Don't even get me started. I lived in Northwest Arkansas for a while, and according to MLB, I was in the local zone of the Royals, Cardinals, Rangers, and Astros. HOW CAN A PERSON BE IN THE LOCAL ZONE OF FOUR DIFFERENT TEAMS, ONE OF WHICH WAS A 10 HOUR DRIVE AWAY?!?!?!?!

iamkoza
02-24-2005, 06:52 PM
It is TOTALLY retarted. Don't even get me started. I lived in Northwest Arkansas for a while, and according to MLB, I was in the local zone of the Royals, Cardinals, Rangers, and Astros. HOW CAN A PERSON BE IN THE LOCAL ZONE OF FOUR DIFFERENT TEAMS, ONE OF WHICH WAS A 10 HOUR DRIVE AWAY?!?!?!?!

i thought 3 hours away was bad... but 10... thats a joke... stupid local tv deals and all the money they make

RKMeibalane
02-24-2005, 06:59 PM

It doesn't make any sense. Fox usually shows Sox games whenever they have a national telecast, but that's the only other time I can see games here. I suppose I could get a satelite, but the appartment complex I live at requires their tennants to pay an extra fee if they want to use one, because we're not supposed to attach anything to the roof.

Palehose13
02-24-2005, 07:07 PM

That's crazy. I live closer to Chicago tham iamkoza and I'm not blacked out, but he/she is. Not that I want to be blacked out, but it's a bit weird. I guess the Brewers have something to do with that. :wink:

dividedsk717
02-24-2005, 09:32 PM
You can get all the Sox games, except the WCIU games, via the DirecTv Sports Pack in the Indianapolis market.

I did it last year; I usually got about 5-6 games per week.

Bryan :gulp:

stillz
02-24-2005, 10:07 PM
For what it's worth... I'm doing XM radio for 10 bucks a month and should get all 162 games. No Hawk and DJ, but Rooney and Farmer are solid duo in my book.

kravdog
02-24-2005, 11:18 PM
i too am a recent transplant to indy. i've been trying to figure out what i am going to do about the games. I happen to have brighthouse, so it sounds like im s.o.l. when it comes to mlb xtra innings, eh? Now, if I were to sign up with MLB.tv but provide them with a different zip code than here, they would be none the wiser, correct?

gobears1987
02-24-2005, 11:29 PM
You can't get them on WCIU since it isn't a superstation like WGN. WCIU has a very limited broadcast range, but they don't do many games.

iamkoza
02-24-2005, 11:35 PM
You can't get them on WCIU since it isn't a superstation like WGN. WCIU has a very limited broadcast range, but they don't do many games.

My point was that how can they claim indy is in their tv territory of im not even able to get games on wciu. I should be getting those games to be considered a local market... just my opinion

iamkoza
02-24-2005, 11:36 PM
You can get all the Sox games, except the WCIU games, via the DirecTv Sports Pack in the Indianapolis market.

I did it last year; I usually got about 5-6 games per week.

that's what i am doing... just wish i had found a job in chicago and not indy!!!

iamkoza
02-24-2005, 11:38 PM
is there a white sox bar in indy? or aat least a place where sox fans might congregate?? finding a place to watch bears games im guessing will be easier, but it'd be great if sox fans in indy got together at a local drinking establishment

TDog
02-25-2005, 12:40 AM
that's what i am doing... just wish i had found a job in chicago and not indy!!!

Housing is cheaper in Indy. And the drive up I-65 isn't that bad.

GiveMeSox
02-25-2005, 12:51 AM
My point was that how can they claim indy is in their tv territory of im not even able to get games on wciu. I should be getting those games to be considered a local market... just my opinion

They claim Indy is chicago baseball territory becuase by agreement the cable companies CAN offer local chicago cable broadcasts of the game. That is how we get CSN chicago here in Lafayette. We are both blacked out according to mlb.tv as we are in local chicago baseball zones, meanging they want us to tune into our cable/sat tv to get them. WCIU is a different story, they are actually an offshoot of WGN. When superstation is showing a national movie or something WGN bumps its broadcast on WCIU. The problem being WCIU is such a small station it is only available in the local chicago area becuase it acts an indpendent local station, which are not available an non local cable systems. That would be like Fox 59 indy being offered in Chicago, cant happen. The point is if you are considered local chicago market than CSN Chicago should be avaiable to you via either your cable or satellite provider. I would check with DirecTV and Dish just to make sure but im assuming when you buy MLB Extra Innings from them they give you CSN for sox games. If not I have heard cases where MLB.tv has become unblacked out on special occasion where the deal is screwed up, otherwise I can still tell you how to cheat the blackouts on MLB. tv!!

tadscout
02-25-2005, 01:41 AM
is there a white sox bar in indy? or aat least a place where sox fans might congregate?? finding a place to watch bears games im guessing will be easier, but it'd be great if sox fans in indy got together at a local drinking establishment

That would be cool :bandance: I bet there are more Sox fans here in central IN than people think...

I can't switch from our cable right now to satellite for financial reasons... If whoever knows the backway on the blackouts on the online mlb.tv games pm or im me!!!

GiveMeSox
02-25-2005, 02:17 AM
That would be cool :bandance: I bet there are more Sox fans here in central IN than people think...

I can't switch from our cable right now to satellite for financial reasons... If whoever knows the backway on the blackouts on the online mlb.tv games pm or im me!!!

I know how to do it, but its not worth trying right now becuase there is nothing to test it with. It requires some trial and error to get it right and you have to test it with a broadcast, and there aren't any right now. Send me a private message when the season starts and ill explain the process.

iamkoza
02-25-2005, 08:42 AM
They claim Indy is chicago baseball territory becuase by agreement the cable companies CAN offer local chicago cable broadcasts of the game. That is how we get CSN chicago here in Lafayette. We are both blacked out according to mlb.tv as we are in local chicago baseball zones, meanging they want us to tune into our cable/sat tv to get them. WCIU is a different story, they are actually an offshoot of WGN. When superstation is showing a national movie or something WGN bumps its broadcast on WCIU. The problem being WCIU is such a small station it is only available in the local chicago area becuase it acts an indpendent local station, which are not available an non local cable systems. That would be like Fox 59 indy being offered in Chicago, cant happen. The point is if you are considered local chicago market than CSN Chicago should be avaiable to you via either your cable or satellite provider. I would check with DirecTV and Dish just to make sure but im assuming when you buy MLB Extra Innings from them they give you CSN for sox games. If not I have heard cases where MLB.tv has become unblacked out on special occasion where the deal is screwed up, otherwise I can still tell you how to cheat the blackouts on MLB. tv!!

I just got a new 34 widescreen HDTV.... so i dont want to be watching the games on a 6 inch real player screen :)... but thanks for the offer for the help

GiveMeSox
02-25-2005, 10:50 AM
I just got a new 34 widescreen HDTV.... so i dont want to be watching the games on a 6 inch real player screen :)... but thanks for the offer for the help

Good point, neither would I, its just a last resort.

Moses_Scurry
02-25-2005, 01:41 PM
I live in Indy now, despite what my profile says. It's been torture as far as the Sox and Bears go. I usually end up listening to the games on staticy AM1000. It really makes me mad that no Indy radiostations carry the games. One station carries some of the Scrub games and another carries the Reds games. I would love to find or found a Sox bar here.

HoosierHerb
02-25-2005, 07:10 PM
This is my third year in indy and I have resigned to just watching on WGN (superstation only) or Fox/espn national broadcasts. I have brighthouse (live in broad ripple) last summer one of my roomates and I tried to buy the baseball package and the cable company told us that both chicago teams and cincy are blacked out here. As far as a sox bar around here I have found that most of them play cubs games and national broadcasts and not much else. Bears games are much easier to find than sox games at bars. It would be great if we could get a broad ripple or northside bar to set us up with sox games--any suggestions?

Herb

Hangar18
02-25-2005, 07:36 PM
This is my third year in indy and I have resigned to just watching on WGN (superstation only) or Fox/espn national broadcasts. I have brighthouse (live in broad ripple) last summer one of my roomates and I tried to buy the baseball package and the cable company told us that both chicago teams and cincy are blacked out here. As far as a sox bar around here I have found that most of them play cubs games and national broadcasts and not much else. Bears games are much easier to find than sox games at bars. It would be great if we could get a broad ripple or northside bar to set us up with sox games--any suggestions?

Herb

There seems to be a number of you guys down there. ONE OF YOU,
Someone, Anyone of you, Please take Matters into your own hands.
Walk into a bar that has a DISH, and Demand they start playing SOX games
there. Tell the guy you will be there OFTEN to watch, and that (feel free to name some of the posters in here) some of you will Frequent
the Place. its that easy believe it or not. Offer up a Replica
SOX Batting Helmet, or cap to the bar, to display behind the Counter.
A couple of those 8x10 Pics of Current SOX Players works Very Well
and blends in with ANY Decor. Youd be surprised if you offered a
Bobblehead as long as they Displayed it, theyd say YES 99% of the time.

This is one of Hangar18's many different Methods in casually getting
bars to Comply with my wishes. Everyone who Responded in this
thread, Id like to see one you be in charge, and let us know in the
next coming weeks, Who Took Charge, and What bar you guys settle
on. Besides, some of us travel, and would be cool to know
SOX friendly bars when one gets into town. Easy stuff fellas.
JUST DO IT

Bucky F. Dent
02-25-2005, 08:02 PM
DAMN! Welcome one and all to the Hoosier Heartland.

I'm a transplant from the da' region, been down here almost thirteen years now.

I'm a cheap s.o.b., so I've resigned myself to FOX/ESPN/WGN.

As for the lay of the land. Indy is largely scrub and Red country. Sox share the scraps with the rest of the "regional" teams.

Bucky F. Dent
02-25-2005, 08:11 PM
Well, as far as bars go. Father of one of my buddy's from school owns the Hilltop at 56th and Pendleton. We wouldn't be interfering who Hoosier Hoops, so I'm sure we could get a TV.

indysoxfan
02-25-2005, 09:01 PM
i heard of a guy.... gets direct tv. gives them a chicago address. pays electronically. only uses a cell phone. Gets all chicago local channels. lives in indy.

iamkoza
02-25-2005, 11:35 PM
I just moved to the NE side of Indy, I'm willing to look for a place to establish as a sox bar, but i really dont know the area too well yet

sox1901AL
02-26-2005, 12:14 AM
:bandance: I just moved to the NE side of Indy, I'm willing to look for a place to establish as a sox bar, but i really dont know the area too well yet

Nice to hear from an Indianapolis White Sox fan. Go White Sox:cool: I live in Carmel, but moving to Fishers in two days. I work for a local printing company, and really enjoy the area (Indy) where I live. (For the most part!)
If you have any questions about the area, just drop me a note. Sure would like to hear from other Sox fans around Indy; so sick of running into snotty, stupid rich kids who think the Cubs are "cool", and the only baseball team in Chicago. :angry: Go Sox!

dividedsk717
02-26-2005, 09:13 AM
There seems to be a number of you guys down there. ONE OF YOU,
Someone, Anyone of you, Please take Matters into your own hands.
Walk into a bar that has a DISH, and Demand they start playing SOX games
there.

I agree with Hangar.

Here's what we do: pick a date, pick a place, get everyone to show up, demand they show the Sox game.

If the bar complies, then we've found our Sox bar.

Any takers?

iamkoza
02-26-2005, 10:02 AM
I agree with Hangar.

Here's what we do: pick a date, pick a place, get everyone to show up, demand they show the Sox game.

If the bar complies, then we've found our Sox bar.

Any takers?

sounds good to me!!

HoosierHerb
02-26-2005, 10:53 AM
What suggestions do you have for location. I visit the Broad ripple tavern pretty regularly. They have a huge screen in the back of the bar they can pull down for games, maybe they would do that for Sox games even though they're not a "sports bar". Other suggestions would be Chumley's or any BW3, (its really nice in all 3 northside locations broad ripple was just redone, as well as castleton, fishers is absolutely huge)

kravdog
02-26-2005, 11:45 AM
What suggestions do you have for location. I visit the Broad ripple tavern pretty regularly. They have a huge screen in the back of the bar they can pull down for games, maybe they would do that for Sox games even though they're not a "sports bar". Other suggestions would be Chumley's or any BW3, (its really nice in all 3 northside locations broad ripple was just redone, as well as castleton, fishers is absolutely huge)

idk about the tavern...but, b-dubs or chumleys seems like it would work...I work at 96th & Meridian & live downtown- so as long as we settle on a bar south of 465 or in castleton, i'm game... champs @ keystone might work...

tadscout
02-26-2005, 12:23 PM
I live in greenfield... so east side/ castleton would be good...

Bucky F. Dent
02-26-2005, 12:55 PM
I know the guy that owns the Hilltop at 56th & Pendleton.

iamkoza
02-27-2005, 01:47 AM

there is a chumley's in lafayette too, i didnt realize there was more than one.... thats a pretty good bar

dividedsk717
02-27-2005, 09:43 AM

I say we look at a place that we know won't be busy but still has a dish; OR

we look at any of the BW3 locations (they're big and have satellite).

If we look at BW3, one idea I have is to meet at different BW3s between the North, East and South side.

As for a date, I recommend the April 19th game vs. Minnesota as our official "take over a bar and make it a Sox bar" date.

Moses_Scurry
02-27-2005, 02:12 PM
I say we look at a place that we know won't be busy but still has a dish; OR

we look at any of the BW3 locations (they're big and have satellite).

If we look at BW3, one idea I have is to meet at different BW3s between the North, East and South side.

As for a date, I recommend the April 19th game vs. Minnesota as our official "take over a bar and make it a Sox bar" date.

I agree with this. I don't care if the place has few people or is packed. I just want a place where I can go to watch Sox games! The BW3 on 86th and either Ditch or Towne has multiple TV's and is usually pretty empty. Might be an option

iamkoza
02-28-2005, 09:20 AM
we'll just have to repost this information... or organize somehow when the season draws nearer

Coolpapa
03-06-2005, 04:58 PM

Drink more Vodka

fuzzy_patters
03-06-2005, 07:26 PM
I did not know so many Sox fans live in central, IN. :supernana: I live in Elwood, and I have not met many since I moved down here.

Anyway, I get the Sox on DirecTV by subscribing to the Sportspack Premium package which I believe is $12 per month. This way I get all the Comcast and WGN games, but I do not get the WCIU games.

By the way, WSI-ers should ban together to protest WFLD in Indy. Last year they showed all the Fox Saturday Cubs games, but they showed infomercials when the Sox were on. :dtroll: