PDA

View Full Version : Koch reflects

Baby Fisk
02-24-2005, 10:00 AM
Billy Koch gave an interview to the Toronto Globe & Mail. The linky (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20050223.wjays-koch23/BNStory/Sports/) should work. If not, the meat of his comments is below. He takes a moment to reflect on his time with other teams:

"Oakland was great," Koch said. "Chicago, I sucked, I was [terrible]. With the Marlins, I pitched a little bit better. But I'm glad to be in Toronto, that's for sure. I've always loved the city, it's where I started. My wife and kids love it. So there's a certain comfort level there. I'm happy. The last two years, I wasn't a very happy person, to say the least. There was a whole bunch of stuff rolled into one, but I'm happy now."

He didn't pitch for the Marlins after Aug. 26 and late in September was excused from the team for the rest of the season for what were described as personal reasons.

In his final 10 outings with the Marlins he had a 1.80 ERA over 10 innings, but did give up nine walks. "I was throwing the ball well and I sat on my butt for three weeks, they didn't pitch me," he said.

He said he never asked why. "I never make waves," he said.

Various things hampered him in Chicago. "My mechanics were so out of whack and I had some nagging tendinitis problems," he said. "I just tried pitching through them instead of going in and saying, 'Give me some treatment, give me some anti-inflammatory [medication] and let's knock it out.'."

Jabroni
02-24-2005, 10:02 AM
"Chicago, I sucked, I was [terrible].At least he admits it. Props to Koch. :thumbsup:

jake27
02-24-2005, 10:10 AM
never thought billy was a ba dguy, he did sux tho pitching for us. be he always seemed cool

Palehose13
02-24-2005, 10:11 AM
At least he admits it. Props to Koch. :thumbsup:

He always has. As much as I hated to see him come into a game, he sure is a stand-up guy. I hope he has success in Toronto.

mjharrison72
02-24-2005, 10:17 AM
Is he going to be the closer in Toronto, or what?

Jabroni
02-24-2005, 10:21 AM
Is he going to be the closer in Toronto, or what?He is going to compete for the closer's spot.

spawn
02-24-2005, 10:26 AM
He got hammered while he was here, but he never ducked the press or made excuses. I also hope he finds success in Toronto. He's a class act.

Baby Fisk
02-24-2005, 10:29 AM
Is he going to be the closer in Toronto, or what?

The Black Jays are looking at RHP Justin Speier to start the season as closer, with guys like Koch and Scott Schoeneweis brought in to bolster the middle relief. The Jays' bullpen last year was horrible.

samram
02-24-2005, 10:35 AM
The Black Jays are looking at RHP Justin Speier to start the season as closer, with guys like Koch and Scott Schoeneweis brought in to bolster the middle relief. The Jays' bullpen last year was horrible.

And Justin Speier, Koch, and Schoeneweis change that how?:D:

Also, I wish he had asked for treatment if he was hurting. If you have tendonitis, don't go out there and blow saves. He had a two year deal anyway, so it's not as if he was trying to play for a contract in 2003. I do agree with the other posters though that he never made excuses for his performance and he seems to be a good guy and I hope he's good for the Jays.

DumpJerry
02-24-2005, 10:57 AM
Koch is the anti-Sosa. He takes personal responsibility for when things don't work out and does not blame [the list is too long for the WSI server to carry], all of whom Sosa blamed before taking any personal responsibility whatsoever.

I feel Koch is HOF material solely because unlike the 'roid chomping cheaters who will probably make it, he sets an excellent example for our young fans on how to conduct yourself when in the public eye. I sure as heck hope he has a great season especially when playing the Royals, Twins, Indians, and Tigers!

SOXintheBURGH
02-24-2005, 11:08 AM
I remember being excited (sorta) when we got Koch due to his success in Oakland, knew about his 130 mph heat. Then, well, he sucked. Never hated him as a person though, seemed kinda cool.

DC Sox Fan
02-24-2005, 11:15 AM
I remember when he was really sucking it up for us, he said how bad he felt for all the Sox fans. He's always been a stand up guy and one who takes responsibility. Got to say hi to him when the Sox were in Balmur last year- he was a nice guy.

He also single-handedly caused my hypertension.

Good luck to Billy.

Uncle_Patrick
02-24-2005, 12:03 PM
Billy Koch = Class Act. Its refreshing to hear a player that doesn't blame everyone but himself for once.

I just wouldn't want him on our team.

mjharrison72
02-24-2005, 01:25 PM
He is going to compete for the closer's spot.
Because the closer by committee thing usually works like a charm...

SoxFan76
02-24-2005, 02:17 PM
Billy Koch = Class Act. Its refreshing to hear a player that doesn't blame everyone but himself for once.

I just wouldn't want him on our team.

I wouldn't mind him in middle/long relief. He's better than Cotts.

Baby Fisk
02-24-2005, 02:41 PM

Some people still have health issues from the last time he was with the Sox. Everytime he came in felt like the start of a rigged Russian roulette game.

OEO Magglio
02-24-2005, 04:08 PM
No he's not. Anyways, I wish Billy the best of luck in Toronto, unfortunately I just don't think he's got it anymore, real stand up guy, Here's hoping Billy finds his velocity.

nccwsfan
02-25-2005, 09:52 AM
Good to hear that BK was honest about his time here- wish him the best of luck!

gosox41
02-25-2005, 09:54 AM
He always has. As much as I hated to see him come into a game, he sure is a stand-up guy. I hope he has success in Toronto.

Didn't he get into a fight with Frank? Or were those just rumors?

Bob

Hangar18
02-25-2005, 10:37 AM
The Toronto Black Jays .... have a very nice guy in Koch.
I also felt bad for him. People booed him bigtime ........ and you could
tell he felt bad.

Hangar18
02-25-2005, 10:41 AM
Not to get off topic, but why Doesnt MLB just change
the Toronto nickname and go with TORONTO BLACK CROWS ?
they are so mixed up and wrong with their current color scheme, its just not funny. thats too bad, a Blue Jay is a very cool bird, good looking
and noticable bird. kind of mean too.

SOXSINCE'70
02-25-2005, 10:45 AM
The only thing that saved Koch was his honesty.At least he
admits he sucked in Chicago.I wish more athletes were more
like him.Thank God the man can face up to his mistakes.
Bravo,Billy!! Just don't beat the Sox,bi-otch!!:D: :D: :D:

Baby Fisk
02-25-2005, 10:47 AM
Toronto Marketing Trendsters would be more apt.

Ol' No. 2
02-25-2005, 10:50 AM
Toronto Marketing Trendsters would be more apt.What would their mascot look like? A guy in a suit with a briefcase giving away pens?:D:

Baby Fisk
02-25-2005, 10:57 AM
What would their mascot look like? A guy in a suit with a briefcase giving away pens?:D:
Exactly. Have a focus group replace the team manager. Replace uniform names with "sponsored by ________". Sell ad space on the field. The possibilities are endless. That's all this team is about nowadays anyway.

gosox41
02-25-2005, 12:06 PM
The Toronto Black Jays .... have a very nice guy in Koch.
I also felt bad for him. People booed him bigtime ........ and you could
tell he felt bad.

M<aybe he shouldn't have given up the 'roids. Seriosuly, everone says he's a class guy, but there have been rumors that he was on them.

Bob