PDA

View Full Version : Slight mishap during live batting practice...

rdivaldi
02-23-2005, 05:30 PM
Looks like McCarthy isn't scared to pitch inside, even during practice...

From the AP/Cubune...

Rowand got a rude awakening in ``live'' batting practice against lanky 6-7 Brandon McCarthy, a non-roster invitee and a top prospect. On one of his first pitches, McCarthy drilled Rowand in the middle of the back. Rowand bent over at the plate in pain but was not seriously injured. ... Guillen compared McCarthy to former Sox Cy Young Award winner Jack McDowell, saying McCarthy had better stuff at this early stage than even McDowell. McCarthy, 21, went 17-6 in three minor league stops last season. ``Too bad we don't have space for him right now,'' Guillen said. ``This kid has a great arm.''

Happened yesterday, I wonder if guys dug in on him today...

NonetheLoaiza
02-23-2005, 05:36 PM
roger clemens part deux...?

Ol' No. 2
02-23-2005, 05:38 PM
Looks like McCarthy isn't scared to pitch inside, even during practice...

From the AP/Cubune...

Rowand got a rude awakening in ``live'' batting practice against lanky 6-7 Brandon McCarthy, a non-roster invitee and a top prospect. On one of his first pitches, McCarthy drilled Rowand in the middle of the back. Rowand bent over at the plate in pain but was not seriously injured. ... Guillen compared McCarthy to former Sox Cy Young Award winner Jack McDowell, saying McCarthy had better stuff at this early stage than even McDowell. McCarthy, 21, went 17-6 in three minor league stops last season. ``Too bad we don't have space for him right now,'' Guillen said. ``This kid has a great arm.''

Happened yesterday, I wonder if guys dug in on him today...The kid's got marbles. Good for him.

34rancher
02-23-2005, 05:46 PM
The kid's got marbles. Good for him.
I hope it is that and not a lack of control....

MRKARNO
02-23-2005, 05:47 PM
I hope it is that and not a lack of control....

That's like saying you hope that Billy Wagner has some velocity on his pitches. This kid lives on control. 3 walks in 52 innings at High-A is evidence of this.

SOXintheBURGH
02-23-2005, 05:50 PM
That's like saying you hope that Billy Wagner has some velocity on his pitches. This kid lives on control. 3 walks in 52 innings at High-A is evidence of this.

Really?! Wow, I didn't know he was that good.

MRKARNO
02-23-2005, 05:55 PM
Really?! Wow, I didn't know he was that good.

On the year McCarthy pitched 172 innings and issued only 30 walks between Low-A, High-A and AA. The majority of that time was at Low-A, but his numbers were fairly excellent at every level.

HITMEN OF 77
02-23-2005, 05:56 PM
Drilling guys in batting practice = Talent!!

SEALgep
02-23-2005, 06:02 PM
Drilling guys in batting practice = Talent!!Schilling did the same thing to Wade Boggs in his first ST. Believe it or not, he actually still managed a decent career.

trailboss
02-23-2005, 06:19 PM
"Drilled" with a changeup?

wsoxfan
02-23-2005, 06:22 PM
yeah I read it was a changeup too so i wouldn't worry too much about it...

SoxxoS
02-23-2005, 06:34 PM
Ozzie, I wish we had space for him also. Nothing like rushing pitchers to the bigs to make them more successful.

champagne030
02-23-2005, 06:56 PM

so you're saying he hit him on purpose during batting practice with a change? i'm thinking not. don't get me wrong because he seems to have a lot of promise, but let's not turn every action into a sign of his future greatness....

voodoochile
02-23-2005, 07:13 PM
roger clemens part deux...?

Oh now that would completely suck...

Was the teal really necessary? :D:

batmanZoSo
02-23-2005, 07:21 PM
Oh, no. He's got a great arm.

We're screwed.

MRKARNO
02-23-2005, 08:03 PM
so you're saying he hit him on purpose during batting practice with a change? i'm thinking not. don't get me wrong because he seems to have a lot of promise, but let's not turn every action into a sign of his future greatness....

Yeah, I'm saying that McCarthy is a malicious person who wants to hurt Rowand and the White Sox' chances so he might get a callup earlier.

Of course I'm not. I was just trying to demonstrate that the lack of control for him was somewhat unusual and not something that ordinarily occurs for him. Therefore, there isnt too much to worry about in terms of him not having control.

Brian26
02-23-2005, 08:10 PM
The tidbit said Rowand bent over in pain...so he must have had a little giddyup on it.

This rubs me the wrong way a little bit. There's no reason to drill a teammate in BP.

MRKARNO
02-23-2005, 08:12 PM
This rubs me the wrong way a little bit. There's no reason to drill a teammate in BP.

What the heck was he supposed to do? It was an accident. Accidents happen and people move on.

Brian26
02-23-2005, 08:18 PM
What the heck was he supposed to do? It was an accident. Accidents happen and people move on.

If it was an accident, then its not a big deal.

If he was doing it to be a dick or to make a statement, then there's a problem.

champagne030
02-23-2005, 08:57 PM
Yeah, I'm saying that McCarthy is a malicious person who wants to hurt Rowand and the White Sox' chances so he might get a callup earlier.

Of course I'm not. I was just trying to demonstrate that the lack of control for him was somewhat unusual and not something that ordinarily occurs for him. Therefore, there isnt too much to worry about in terms of him not having control.

sorry, my bad. i should've quoted a different post because i wasn't in agreement that he had a pair because he hit someone in batting practice.

Soxzilla
02-23-2005, 09:26 PM
http://espn.starwave.com/i/page2/photos/040629sheen.jpg
"He ain't got **** on me. I would've thrown the one."

DumpJerry
02-23-2005, 11:31 PM
On the year McCarthy pitched 172 innings and issued only 30 walks between Low-A, High-A and AA. The majority of that time was at Low-A, but his numbers were fairly excellent at every level.
Jack McDowell? Heck, this kid might be LaMarr Hoyt!!!! Lamarr walked 28 guys in 1983, 3 were intentional.

StillMissOzzie
02-24-2005, 01:20 AM
The tidbit said Rowand bent over in pain...so he must have had a little giddyup on it.

Heck, even a major league change-up is still 70-75 mph, much faster than my blazing heater. I wouldn't want one of those in my ribs.

SMO
:gulp:

Cubbiesuck13
02-24-2005, 01:31 AM
Heck, even a major league change-up is still 70-75 mph, much faster than my blazing heater. I wouldn't want one of those in my ribs.

SMO
:gulp:

I think it hit him in the back. not that it matters much.

DaleJRFan
02-24-2005, 09:40 AM
I think it hit him in the back. not that it matters much.

You have a ribcage across your back too, ya know. :)

ARow is a bricks-hit-house, I am sure he has a mass of back muscle that could have caused a flatspot on that baseball. ARow crowds the plate anyway, he had it coming to him!

Randar68
02-24-2005, 11:00 AM

This is preposterous... The change is BMac's third pitch, of course he didn't hit him intentionally, it's spring frikkin ball, it got away from him...

sheeeeeesh.

tstrike2000
02-24-2005, 11:12 AM
This is preposterous... The change is BMac's third pitch, of course he didn't hit him intentionally, it's spring frikkin ball, it got away from him...

sheeeeeesh.

Definitely, just an unfortunate accident on the pitch. Rowand's a tough guy, he'll come out of it.

mjharrison72
02-24-2005, 12:29 PM
If it was an accident, then its not a big deal.

The article in today's Southtown said the ball just got away from him... interesting half of the people here are saying he has so much control; a hit batsman in the regular season is as bad as four balls.
http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/241sd8.htm

Pitching prospect Brandon McCarthy has been getting tremendous reviews thus far from Guillen, including favorable comparisons to ex-Sox ace Jack McDowell. Rowand may have had other thoughts Wednesday after being hit by a pitch from the 21-year-old right-hander during batting practice. "I had too much rosin on my hand and a changeup just flipped on out," McCarthy said. "As soon as I let it go, I was like, 'Oh God, don't hurt him.' "