PDA

View Full Version : Would you pay Paulie?

mikesouthside
02-23-2005, 09:41 AM
In light of Konerko's up coming contract, would you pay him "league average for 1st basemen...?" Say 37 to 40 million for 4 years?

voodoochile
02-23-2005, 09:45 AM
Ask me again in June.

Hangar18
02-23-2005, 09:59 AM
In light of Konerko's up coming contract, would you pay him "league average for 1st basemen...?" Say 37 to 40 million for 4 years?

:reinsy Heres my answer. N - O. Enjoy Paulie on his goodbye
tour ... (inserts pinkie finger in mouth) Muahhh haa haaa huaaa

samram
02-23-2005, 09:59 AM
Ask me again in June.

I'm pretty sure that's management's attitude as well, especially after Kneegate.

Ol' No. 2
02-23-2005, 10:05 AM
Ask me again in June.Hey, that's my line.:D:

HITMEN OF 77
02-23-2005, 12:01 PM

Without a doubt. He's worth ever penny.

chisox2005
02-23-2005, 12:16 PM
Konerko will re-sign. Unless some trade comes out of nowhere, I see Konerko staying in town. Sox know after losing Magglio and Carlos, and most likely buying out Thomas at the end of the year that they need to hold on to Konerko. I could possibly see him becoming a DH in a couple years, don't know if Konerko would like that though.

mantis1212
02-23-2005, 12:17 PM
Ask me again in June.

Definitely to be looked at in June. If he keeps the pace with last year, he should be signed. Someone needs to be our power hitter for the future...

Randar68
02-23-2005, 12:26 PM
Definitely to be looked at in June. If he keeps the pace with last year, he should be signed. Someone needs to be our power hitter for the future...

In June or later. I understand the risk in waiting, but I'm not sure I'd commit 10 million a year to a .290-35-100 first baseman who doesn't stand out in any other areas of the game... I also think if Crede turns things around, they may look to move Fields to 1st base... Crede has the talent to hit .280-290 with 30 HR's, not sure if he'll ever do it, but this year is his last stand in Chicago...

Iwritecode
02-23-2005, 12:29 PM
I would pay him but I'm a little short on cash this week... :redneck

MUsoxfan
02-23-2005, 12:35 PM
I may or may not be thinking too much of Paulie here, but I wouldn't eliminate the possibity of him remaining with the White Sox for less money than he would get elsewhere

MUsoxfan
02-23-2005, 12:38 PM
In June or later. I understand the risk in waiting, but I'm not sure I'd commit 10 million a year to a .290-35-100 first baseman who doesn't stand out in any other areas of the game...

What else do you want out of a 1B? I can't think of any 1B's that are giant basestealing threats and I can think of several 1B's that are worse defensively than Konerko. Granted Paul is not really that fleet of foot, but Fields is still unproven after only a year in the minor league system so far.

RDubbs1906
02-23-2005, 12:40 PM
Ask me again in June.

I understand thinking this way, especially with everything that happened with Maggs. I disagree though. The longer they wait, the better the chances are the Konerko signs with another team next year. We already lost some franchise players this year. I understand that the term "franchise player" is fading as baseball is changing. I hate that. Having franchise players makes being a fan more enjoyable! I Love the way the sox look this year, and I am glad we still have a few guys that could be termed franchise players - Frank Thomas, Paul Konerko, Mark Buerhle and Aaron Rowand). Also, if you dont think that contract talks aregoing to be a distraction, you're kidding yourself! I don't care what anyone says, money is always going to be an issue. GET 'ER DONE!

FightingBillini
02-23-2005, 12:42 PM
I love Ross Gload, and I think he can be a very good major league player. Unless he plays every day for several months due to a Konerko injury this year, Im not ready to hand the reigns over to him. Konerko is a team player, and he bleeds silver and black. We need to keep him.

SoxxoS
02-23-2005, 12:44 PM
I am not too keen on giving big bucks to a incredibly slow first baseman that has trouble hitting on the road. As me again in September.

Clembasbal
02-23-2005, 12:47 PM
I would not pay him based on that fact that I would rather have the Sox spend the money on Frank Thomas. CAll me crazy but I do not want him in another uniform. I think if he stays a White Sox that will help him when it comes to HOF time.

MUsoxfan
02-23-2005, 12:49 PM
I would not pay him based on that fact that I would rather have the Sox spend the money on Frank Thomas. CAll me crazy but I do not want him in another uniform. I think if he stays a White Sox that will help him when it comes to HOF time.

I'm looking out for the greater good of the White Sox, not the greater good of Frank Thomas

MIgrenade
02-23-2005, 12:50 PM
I think the real issue that holds management back from offering money now is that Konerko has only had one full good year. Usually he's a one half guy, so let's see what happens this year.

Randar68
02-23-2005, 12:52 PM
What else do you want out of a 1B? I can't think of any 1B's that are giant basestealing threats and I can think of several 1B's that are worse defensively than Konerko. Granted Paul is not really that fleet of foot, but Fields is still unproven after only a year in the minor league system so far.

Pauly is the ultimate base-clogger, hits into an enormous # of DP's, and his OBP is only average. I just don't know if that's worth 10 million a year. I don't think it is for a 1st baseman. How many HR's would Konerko hit if he played at SafeCo Field? 25?

I don't know, anything 10 million and above is reserved for star-type impact players in my book. Like with Lee, how many other holes were we able to fill with that salary?

I agree about Fields being unproven, but that's why I wait till mid-season to really evaluate things...

Clembasbal
02-23-2005, 12:56 PM
I'm looking out for the greater good of the White Sox, not the greater good of Frank Thomas

To quote a great man, "Well, that's like...your opinion...man."

I agree with some that Pauly is good and that he is important. But 1B's are a dime a dozen. They are everywhere. We can get a 2nd yearman, or even a rookie to hit 25 bombs and hit .260. Not great numbers, but good for a cheap price. Why pay Konerko than money when we can spend it on other players to get a TEAM! Too many DP's, pop-outs, and he is slow as crap. Yes he hits bombs, yes he is about a .280 hitter and a solid fielder, but he is not worth than money...NO FIRSTBASEMAN is. Give it to other players, and to Frank Thomas, he is just as good as Konerko - but he doesn't play the field.

Ol' No. 2
02-23-2005, 01:46 PM
Pauly is the ultimate base-clogger, hits into an enormous # of DP's, and his OBP is only average. I just don't know if that's worth 10 million a year. I don't think it is for a 1st baseman. How many HR's would Konerko hit if he played at SafeCo Field? 25?

I don't know, anything 10 million and above is reserved for star-type impact players in my book. Like with Lee, how many other holes were we able to fill with that salary?

I agree about Fields being unproven, but that's why I wait till mid-season to really evaluate things...$10M seems a little high to me, too. I would have thought $8-9M is more like it. But then, the way teams were throwing money around this off-season, $10M is starting to sound more and more reasonable.

The_Cheesiest_Idiot
02-23-2005, 01:55 PM
WAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much money for him. you could pay less and get comparative numbers.

duke of dorwood
02-23-2005, 02:14 PM
A 40 home run guy not on the juice? Pay him

Hangar18
02-23-2005, 02:20 PM
I think the real issue that holds management back from offering money now is .................................................. .....

:reinsy ME !!

jake27
02-23-2005, 02:24 PM
i really think ross gload could do a good job filling in for konerko. as a full time player, i see in at .270 with 25 hrs. while losing konerko would hurt, if we spent money elsewhere, i think we could give him up is he asks for too much.

gosox41
02-23-2005, 02:33 PM

I wouldn't pay him that much. And I definitely wouldn't get anything done until I see how he does the first part of the season. Got to make sure 2003 PK doesn't show up. Because the reality is that 2004 was the first time PLK has put together2 good halves in the same season.

Bob

SSN721
02-23-2005, 02:33 PM
I agree with many here that say lets reevaluate in June or July. I dont think he would be sour if the Sox waited that long to start working on a contract. I also agree with many thinking that 10 per sounds like too much, but just looking at the ridiculous numbers other players are getting payed it is starting to look like that will be the going rate for a decent to above average power hitting first baseman. If he has a similar year as last year I say lock him up for a few more years.

Ol' No. 2
02-23-2005, 02:44 PM
I agree with many here that say lets reevaluate in June or July. I dont think he would be sour if the Sox waited that long to start working on a contract. I also agree with many thinking that 10 per sounds like too much, but just looking at the ridiculous numbers other players are getting payed it is starting to look like that will be the going rate for a decent to above average power hitting first baseman. If he has a similar year as last year I say lock him up for a few more years.A lot of people thought they were over-paying for Freddy Garcia when they extended his contract for $27M. How'd that work out?

Mickster
02-23-2005, 03:12 PM
A lot of people thought they were over-paying for Freddy Garcia when they extended his contract for $27M. How'd that work out?

Market value for Paulie next year depends on:

1. What type of 2005 he has.

2. If the Mets or Tigers have any $$ to blow early on in the '05-'06 FA market, thereby inflating all FA prices.

3. The # of FA represented by Boras in '05-06.

*note #2 and #3 are in 1/2 teal. :smile:

SSN721
02-23-2005, 03:27 PM
A lot of people thought they were over-paying for Freddy Garcia when they extended his contract for $27M. How'd that work out?

I think we will find out, so far I like that move a lot. Like I said I think if Paulie proves a little consistency this year we go ahead and sign him. I think many people here are not considering that prices are just naturally inflating, unfortunately a player who maybe 3-4 years ago was worth maybe 6-8 mil might now be getting 8-10. I think Paulie is worth 7-8 mil a year but just because of overpaying by anxious teams his market value will probably be closer to 10 mil if he repeats last years performance.

JKryl
02-23-2005, 04:33 PM
Since 1999, when he came up, Pauli has been near .300 every year, except for the last two. http://www.baseball-reference.com/k/konerpa01.shtml At first, I would have said pay him, but now I think we need to make sure the slump isn't the beginning of a trend. I'll join the, "ask me in a couple of months" group.

idseer
02-23-2005, 05:43 PM
first let me say what a group of wimps we got here that keep saying ... 'well ask me again in a couple months'. i imagine after a couple months they may say ... 'well ask me again in a couple months'.
the question was should we sign him for the league average. and considering he is obviously above league average i can't see how anyone could say no to this.

to tell you the truth i'm surprised it's about 4 to 1 in favor of keeping paul when last year at this time it was about 10 to 1 to GIVE him away. i actually think some of you are pissed that he had such a good year! :smile:

any dull person can just keep saying he's slow. big hairy deal! he hits into a couple more dp's than other hitters. big deal! baseball history is filled with really good hitters who also hit into dp's.

the man is a career .280 hitter who averages 30 home runs and 100 rbi's per year. AND HE"S ONLY 29 YEARS OLD in march! throw in the fact he loves the team. gives himself up for the team. never complains. is willing to play for the sox for less. .............

HOLY COW!
how can ANYone not want to sign this guy? :?:

Hangar18
02-23-2005, 06:00 PM
..................... is willing to play for the sox for less. .............

:reinsy Whoah whoah, willing to play for less? Now im intrigued....

HITMEN OF 77
02-23-2005, 06:10 PM
to tell you the truth i'm surprised it's about 4 to 1 in favor of keeping paul when last year at this time it was about 10 to 1 to GIVE him away. i actually think some of you are pissed that he had such a good year! :smile:

I was the "1" :D:

HITMEN OF 77
02-23-2005, 06:10 PM
the man is a career .280 hitter who averages 30 home runs and 100 rbi's per year. AND HE"S ONLY 29 YEARS OLD in march! throw in the fact he loves the team. gives himself up for the team. never complains. is willing to play for the sox for less. .............

Amen Brother!!

Jerome
02-23-2005, 06:21 PM
I am not too keen on giving big bucks to a incredibly slow first baseman that has trouble hitting on the road. As me again in September.

How does speed matter for a first baseman?

SOX ADDICT '73
02-23-2005, 09:10 PM
Is it possible for a third party to request a restraining order on behalf of someone else? I don't want Scott Bor-ass getting within 500 feet of Pauly until we've signed him!

SoxxoS
02-23-2005, 09:11 PM
How does speed matter for a first baseman?

I didn't say speed anywhere in my reply...I said incredibly slow. Like the slowest in the major leagues...and that matters. That means base clogging and double plays. I don't want Carl Lewis, but his lack of speed definitely factors into the equation for me.

Ol' No. 2
02-23-2005, 09:18 PM
I didn't say speed anywhere in my reply...I said incredibly slow. Like the slowest in the major leagues...and that matters. That means base clogging and double plays. I don't want Carl Lewis, but his lack of speed definitely factors into the equation for me.How many speedy 1B can you think of? If it's the difference between slow and really slow, how much does that really matter? It's a factor, but not a very big one IMO, and outweighed by the other things he brings to the table.

idseer
02-23-2005, 09:19 PM
I didn't say speed anywhere in my reply...I said incredibly slow.

unless i'm seriously mistaken ... i believe 'incredibly slow' is a reference to speed. :?:

SoxxoS
02-23-2005, 09:22 PM
How many speedy 1B can you think of? If it's the difference between slow and really slow, how much does that really matter? It's a factor, but not a very big one IMO, and outweighed by the other things he brings to the table.

Didn't say it was a big factor either. Just a factor you have to look when making a decision. I am not saying keep Ross Gload to start him and don't resign Konerko b/c Ross has wheels...I am saying that is something one must consider when possibly resigning him.

SoxxoS
02-23-2005, 09:23 PM
unless i'm seriously mistaken ... i believe 'incredibly slow' is a reference to speed. :?:

Yeah, I meant something else...it sounds wrong...

Ol' No. 2
02-23-2005, 09:42 PM
Didn't say it was a big factor either. Just a factor you have to look when making a decision. I am not saying keep Ross Gload to start him and don't resign Konerko b/c Ross has wheels...I am saying that is something one must consider when possibly resigning him.If you look around the major leagues, and take out the guys that you have no chance of getting anyway, I don't see many I'd take over Pauly straight-up. The only way I'd even consider cutting him loose is if it was a case of needing the salary money to sign someone else really good to fill a hole. But if you look at the places they're likely to need help, they have pretty good prospects that could take over in the future, so right now I don't see the need to do that. Of course, things could change between now and next winter. One nice feature of this team is that if they perform the way we all hope, the key guys are almost all locked up for at least another year.

SoxxoS
02-23-2005, 11:11 PM
If you look around the major leagues, and take out the guys that you have no chance of getting anyway, I don't see many I'd take over Pauly straight-up. The only way I'd even consider cutting him loose is if it was a case of needing the salary money to sign someone else really good to fill a hole. But if you look at the places they're likely to need help, they have pretty good prospects that could take over in the future, so right now I don't see the need to do that. Of course, things could change between now and next winter. One nice feature of this team is that if they perform the way we all hope, the key guys are almost all locked up for at least another year.

Players with a better OPS than Konerko-
Pujols, Helton, Degado, Ortiz, Thome, Teixeira, Hafner, Durazo. You could probably add Richie Sexton to that list when healthy. Wilkerson, Overbay and Derrick Lee are all right there as well, within .30 points.

1B is probably the most changeable position on the field, obviously. That is why throwing a huge chunk of your payroll (Paulie is just about 15% of it this year) on such a changeable position just isn't very smart...I would rather just see how this season goes and see how the market plays out. Additionally, there is 2003 in the back of my mind as well as a rumored hip condiition.

Let's not forget we have Ryan Sweeney that could very easily tear it up this year and be pushing for a roster spot come next spring training...and some people (Randar for one) say he could be a great 1B. I am not saying that it's going to happen w/ Sweeney, but am saying that signing him right now just doesn't make too much sense to me.

Chisox003
02-23-2005, 11:18 PM
I would love to see Paulie sign a long term deal...

Unfortunately, my thinking realisticly says at least wait until mid season, see where the Crede situation is at, Uribe, and the pitching staff....If all systems are go, sign him...

If Crede/Uribe/Pitchers struggle, this might be PK's last season on the Southside...:(:

WikdChiSoxFan
02-23-2005, 11:21 PM
Paulie = White Sox

White Sox = Paulie

'nuf said. I will by loyal to White Lightning until I die. I will not support any trade at all. We've already given up Carlos & Maggs. We need to keep Paulie and Frank as guys who've lived, breathed, and died with the White Sox.

(perhaps i shouldn't have typed "'nuf said' before those last few sentences.)

Ol' No. 2
02-23-2005, 11:31 PM
Players with a better OPS than Konerko-
Pujols, Helton, Degado, Ortiz, Thome, Teixeira, Hafner, Durazo. You could probably add Richie Sexton to that list when healthy. Wilkerson, Overbay and Derrick Lee are all right there as well, within .30 points.

1B is probably the most changeable position on the field, obviously. That is why throwing a huge chunk of your payroll (Paulie is just about 15% of it this year) on such a changeable position just isn't very smart...I would rather just see how this season goes and see how the market plays out. Additionally, there is 2003 in the back of my mind as well as a rumored hip condiition.

Let's not forget we have Ryan Sweeney that could very easily tear it up this year and be pushing for a roster spot come next spring training...and some people (Randar for one) say he could be a great 1B. I am not saying that it's going to happen w/ Sweeney, but am saying that signing him right now just doesn't make too much sense to me.But you're not going to get Pujolds or Delgado or Ortiz or Teixeira. The guys on your list are either unavailable or significantly more expensive or both, which is what I was getting at. I don't think you could do better than PK for $8-9M. If they had a hot-shot prospect it would be different, but they don't. (Maybe Sweeney, but we'll have to see how he develops this year.)

If you let PK go and replace him with Gload you'd better get a lot of bang for the buck on the money you save. But where could you spend big bucks for a significant upgrade? The most likely problem areas (3B, OF) are places where they have good prospects coming along, so they're not going to want to spend big $$ on a FA that will want a multi-year deal.

All sorts of things can change between now and next winter, but right now I don't see a big reason to cut Pauly loose.

Whitesox029
02-24-2005, 12:20 AM
In June or later. I understand the risk in waiting, but I'm not sure I'd commit 10 million a year to a .290-35-100 first baseman who doesn't stand out in any other areas of the game... I also think if Crede turns things around, they may look to move Fields to 1st base... Crede has the talent to hit .280-290 with 30 HR's, not sure if he'll ever do it, but this year is his last stand in Chicago...
I'm going to good-naturedly proceed to pick your post apart piece by piece if you don't mind:D::
1. I would sign the contract right now and get it out of the way. Mid-season bargaining tends to get messy and affect the player's performance. We can't have that. Waiting until after the season is over will only get us in a bidding war with the Big Stein--I don't think Giambi is going to last too long off the juice--and God knows Reinsdorf won't outbid Steinbrenner. The Boss will grossly overpay. Why? Because he can.
2. .290-35-100, IMO, is the upper tier as far as 1B are concerned. He's no Pujols and he's no Helton, but aside from that, he's just as good as or better than every other 1B in the majors right now ('03 was a major fluke IMO and it won't happen again).
3. I have a lot more confidence in Konerko than in Crede, and I think Fields will be more comfortable at his natural position anyway. It's a stretch to let PK go and then move Fields.

SoxxoS
02-24-2005, 02:37 AM
I'm going to good-naturedly proceed to pick your post apart piece by piece if you don't mind:D::
1. I would sign the contract right now and get it out of the way. Mid-season bargaining tends to get messy and affect the player's performance. We can't have that. Waiting until after the season is over will only get us in a bidding war with the Big Stein--I don't think Giambi is going to last too long off the juice--and God knows Reinsdorf won't outbid Steinbrenner. The Boss will grossly overpay. Why? Because he can.
2. .290-35-100, IMO, is the upper tier as far as 1B are concerned. He's no Pujols and he's no Helton, but aside from that, he's just as good as or better than every other 1B in the majors right now ('03 was a major fluke IMO and it won't happen again).
3. I have a lot more confidence in Konerko than in Crede, and I think Fields will be more comfortable at his natural position anyway. It's a stretch to let PK go and then move Fields.

Let's play Devils advocate and say that we sign him to a long term deal and he starts having a season like 2003...unlikely, but possible. A mid-market team like the Sox can't necessarily afford to put that much cash at 1B unless they are very sure of production. I don't like they he had a sub .750 OPS as recently of 2003...that can cripple a team like the Sox.

It shouldn't affect a play midway through the season, they should just keep playing hard in their contract year...therefore, I see no benefit to signing him right now.

Plus, not signing him now gives us a year to evaluate our minor league talent (and Crede) to figure out our future plans. Best case scenario-Crede , Fields and Sweeney all tear it up...now what? You gave 10 million per for Konerko for 3 years at the start of the season. Rowand, Dye and Podsednik are penciled in for next year as well. Where would you put those guys?

SoxxoS
02-24-2005, 02:40 AM
But you're not going to get Pujolds or Delgado or Ortiz or Teixeira. The guys on your list are either unavailable or significantly more expensive or both, which is what I was getting at. I don't think you could do better than PK for $8-9M. If they had a hot-shot prospect it would be different, but they don't. (Maybe Sweeney, but we'll have to see how he develops this year.)

If you let PK go and replace him with Gload you'd better get a lot of bang for the buck on the money you save. But where could you spend big bucks for a significant upgrade? The most likely problem areas (3B, OF) are places where they have good prospects coming along, so they're not going to want to spend big $$ on a FA that will want a multi-year deal.

All sorts of things can change between now and next winter, but right now I don't see a big reason to cut Pauly loose.

Josh Fields is another hot shot prospect...I don't want to let Paulie go for nothing, and I also am not ready to give Gload a full time spot. KW always uses all the payroll available, so they let Paulie go, you can bet KW has a plan to put the resources to work.

We shall see what happens...long time until October...hopefully we are talking world series by then...and I am not putting that in deeppink...I believe.

voodoochile
02-24-2005, 07:26 AM
first let me say what a group of wimps we got here that keep saying ... 'well ask me again in a couple months'. i imagine after a couple months they may say ... 'well ask me again in a couple months'.
the question was should we sign him for the league average. and considering he is obviously above league average i can't see how anyone could say no to this.

any dull person can just keep saying he's slow. big hairy deal! he hits into a couple more dp's than other hitters. big deal! baseball history is filled with really good hitters who also hit into dp's.

HOLY COW!

Well, he's been streaky and I still don't trust some of the rumors that have been swirling around him over the past few years.

If he repeats last year's hot start, then he is worth the dollar figures being thrown around. If not, the Sox can find better ways to spend the money, IMO.

SpammySosa
02-24-2005, 07:51 AM
We need to keep Paulie and Frank as guys who've lived, breathed, and died with the White Sox.

As much as I like Konerko,it is quite extreme to put him in any catergory with Frank and the contributions he has made.

Deadguy
02-24-2005, 08:20 AM
is willing to play for the sox for less. .............

What laughable nonsense. You know this how?

I've heard this said about many players who ended up bolting for more money. It's hard to believe that people are still naive enough to believe this about any player who has done absolutely nothing to prove this. I don't really care what "The Great White Dope" has said, since actions speak louder than words.

I just hope he doesn't fall flat on his face and embarass himself the way he did in 2003. That was the one year where his production would have made a difference, and he was hitting .185 with 3 homeruns on July 1st. Pat Burell was hitting below .200 for a large chunk of the season, but at least he was hitting for power and driving in runs. Konerko was just a gaping black hole in the lineup who went a month without getting an extra base hit before he was finally benched in favor of Daubach.

If he actually entered the season mentally prepared and actually wanted to justify the contract that the White Sox gave him, then maybe there wouldn't have been a 4 game gap between the Twins and the White Sox at the end of the year.

It's a contract year, so I don't have any doubt about his effort this season, he just better execute.

idseer
02-24-2005, 09:53 AM
What laughable nonsense. You know this how?

I've heard this said about many players who ended up bolting for more money. It's hard to believe that people are still naive enough to believe this about any player who has done absolutely nothing to prove this. I don't really care what "The Great White Dope" has said, since actions speak louder than words.

what's laughable is your assumptions. granted there probably HAVE been players who have said this and not meant it. there have definitely been players who said it AND meant it ... jose valentin for one.

check out the july 17 post here:
http://www.rototimes.com/index.php?sport=bsball&type=playernotes&name=player_1381
specifically "said that he'd be willing to re-sign with the White Sox now at the potential expense of a few million dollars on the open market"

this isn't the only place i read this either. it seems pretty clear to me he wants to stay and is willing to stay for less and it doesn't matter much what you believe.

the rest of your disparaging post only means there are still a few of you out there that just don't like paul for whatever reason. and this is why you aren't in charge of anything. cause you'd probably cut your own nose off to spite your face.

The Racehorse
02-24-2005, 09:54 AM
It's not my money... pay him.

idseer
02-24-2005, 09:56 AM
If he actually entered the season mentally prepared and actually wanted to justify the contract that the White Sox gave him, then maybe there wouldn't have been a 4 game gap between the Twins and the White Sox at the end of the year.

It's a contract year, so I don't have any doubt about his effort this season, he just better execute.

and what an extra load of crap this is. paul has busted his butt EVERY season. contract year or not. in his whole career he's had exactly ONE down year. how ignorant to try to suggest he did THAT because he wasn't trying.
eiother get real, deadguy, or get lost.

Ol' No. 2
02-24-2005, 10:16 AM
what's laughable is your assumptions. granted there probably HAVE been players who have said this and not meant it. there have definitely been players who said it AND meant it ... jose valentin for one.

check out the july 17 post here:
http://www.rototimes.com/index.php?sport=bsball&type=playernotes&name=player_1381
specifically "said that he'd be willing to re-sign with the White Sox now at the potential expense of a few million dollars on the open market"

this isn't the only place i read this either. it seems pretty clear to me he wants to stay and is willing to stay for less and it doesn't matter much what you believe.

the rest of your disparaging post only means there are still a few of you out there that just don't like paul for whatever reason. and this is why you aren't in charge of anything. cause you'd probably cut your own nose off to spite your face.To be fair, Ordonez also said he wanted to stay with the Sox. Talk is cheap. I would hold some initial discussions with PK. If he's willing to sign for 3-4 yrs in the neighborhood of $8-10M, I'd do it. I don't think you're going to do better for that amount of money. If he starts talking about a lot more money, I wouldn't be so eager.

idseer
02-24-2005, 10:30 AM
To be fair, Ordonez also said he wanted to stay with the Sox. Talk is cheap. I would hold some initial discussions with PK. If he's willing to sign for 3-4 yrs in the neighborhood of $8-10M, I'd do it. I don't think you're going to do better for that amount of money. If he starts talking about a lot more money, I wouldn't be so eager.

true. none of us can predict the future. but to assume someone is lying is worse imo.
paul has never said or done anything to suggest he's the same kind of slime others have turned out to be.

Ol' No. 2
02-24-2005, 10:35 AM
true. none of us can predict the future. but to assume someone is lying is worse imo.
paul has never said or done anything to suggest he's the same kind of slime others have turned out to be.If he means it he'll agree to the kind of deal I suggested. If not, they'd find out.

WhiteSoxFan84
02-24-2005, 01:49 PM

You gotta pay somebody eventually and I think Paulie is most deserving, hell, the Marlins even ponied up when they signed Delgado this offseason and extended Mike Lowell's contract. That being said, if he has a horrible year this year, than no, he doesn't deserve such a deal.

idseer
02-24-2005, 03:08 PM
You gotta pay somebody eventually and I think Paulie is most deserving, hell, the Marlins even ponied up when they signed Delgado this offseason and extended Mike Lowell's contract. That being said, if he has a horrible year this year, than no, he doesn't deserve such a deal.

who can't we say that about?

Fake Chet Lemon
02-25-2005, 01:52 PM
All of our starters are signed for next year as well, so you won't be able to spend the coin on pitching. Therefore keep Paulie rather than line JRs pockets. Paulie = Class

WhtSox4evr
02-25-2005, 02:35 PM
I didn't say speed anywhere in my reply...I said incredibly slow. Like the slowest in the major leagues...and that matters. That means base clogging and double plays. I don't want Carl Lewis, but his lack of speed definitely factors into the equation for me.

Remember, PK was the first Sox player to steal a base last year!