PDA

View Full Version : Queen Magglio Just Will Not Shut-Up

NSSoxFan
02-22-2005, 11:37 PM
The Queen continues to take shots at our Sox...

The Queen is Not Satisfied (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-040222rogers,1,7254043.column?coll=cs-home-utility)

Even though Ordonez had rejected the team's early efforts to sign him to a long-term contract extension, he was shocked at reports general manager Ken Williams had reached a deal to send him to Boston, contingent on the Red Sox's acquisition of Rodriguez. Like Garciaparra, it appears he never got off the feeling of being unwanted.

"I don't understand why you get somebody from outside the organization and give him money, and you don't do that for somebody who has been in your organization," Ordonez said.

Ordonez admits he "lost his love" for baseball while fretting about the business side.

If the White Sox simply did not want to pay him (or anybody else) more than $14 million a season—which was his salary in '04—then he believes they should have let fans know it. Instead they teased fans with the possibility of re-signing him, at least until the Sox became worried his knee problems could be career threatening.

Ordonez indicated none of the offers from White Sox Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf were as straightforward as the four-year extension he had signed before the 2001 season. That one contained little more than annual salaries; these were much more complex.

"I don't think Jerry is giving you a deal a player can take advantage of," Ordonez said. "In the deals they offered, a lot of it was deferred. I'm not going to say it wasn't enough … but 'we pay you in 2020?' What the heck is that?"

Unregistered
02-22-2005, 11:47 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2476
"I lost my love for baseball. Luckily, I was able to buy most of it back."

FightingBillini
02-23-2005, 12:00 AM
:whiner: :whiner: :whiner:
What a whiney little biotch. I think this should let everyone know that Maggs HATES Detroit and didnt want to sign there. He is very pissed that he ended up with the Tigers. They were his only option for big money in free agency. He knew how badly injured he was, but he got angry when KW told the press about his condition. He felt that KW drove down his market value. He must feel that it was Kenny "driving down his value" that caused him to end up in Detroit.

If he was happy to be there, it was the place he really wanted to go, and he got the money he was looking for, WHY would he still be bitter about this "feud" with Williams? I don't feel sorry for Maggs. He will end up rotting in Detroit, sitting on the bench for the majority of his 5 years, with his contractual albatross bringing down the Tigers for five more years.

SOX ADDICT '73
02-23-2005, 12:00 AM
Jesus, please shut this guy the hell up! He's acting like a jillted girlfriend instead of laughing (with Bor-ass) all the way to the bank at the Tigers' expense. I'm so sick of hearing his b*tch-a** complain!
GO AWAY MAGG$!

Cubbiesuck13
02-23-2005, 12:08 AM
The fact that he is still talking about the Sox is a sign that they pissed him off pretty good. He made some good points and I can understand some of his frustration. However, Isn't it funny that he said "hopefully I can get one (World Series ring) in Detroit." He knows he will never get one in Detroit and if the Contract plays through he will be at the end of his career. No ring for Mags. Has anyone else noticed that the guys signing outrageous contracts have not won a rigng yet? Am I wrong on that?

Gosox1917
02-23-2005, 12:10 AM
I can't wait to boo him when the Tigers come to Chicago, if he's even healthy and playing the outfield. I just wish I were 21 so I could do it from the Bullpen Sports Bar. I think he'll be able to hear me from the right field seats though.

StillMissOzzie
02-23-2005, 12:32 AM
He keeps bringing up this "KW kept bad-mouthing me about my injury, driving my value down" crapola, as if no other GM entrusted with throwing $60-75M his way wouldn't be performing any due dilligence of their own. Naw, they'd just take KW's word for it and stay away.

Of course, with the Chicago media, Hendry gets a hearty pat on the back for avoiding a big-money risk while KW and the Sox get painted as cheapskates. You'd never know they were referring to the same FA if you didn't read the fine print.

SMO
:angry:

SomebodyToldMe
02-23-2005, 01:28 AM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2476
"I lost my love for baseball. Luckily, I was able to buy most of it back."

If there's a Pay-Rod, then there HAS to be a MaggliDough.

JoseCanseco6969
02-23-2005, 01:35 AM
I can't wait to boo him when the Tigers come to Chicago, if he's even healthy and playing the outfield. I just wish I were 21 so I could do it from the Bullpen Sports Bar. I think he'll be able to hear me from the right field seats though.

Great idea! I think I might have to take you up on that idea. especially if I can get the special outside seats with the tables. Magglio, how I've begun to love to hate you and your greedy a$$

StockdaleForVeep
02-23-2005, 01:42 AM
he complains of the JR incentives yet detroit can terminate his contract due to DL

If mags is this good and valuable how come the yankees didnt grab him or so, give him the "money he deserves"

Cubbiesuck13
02-23-2005, 03:08 AM
I hate to defend that the fact that the White Sox haven't retained some of their bigger names, but historically the white sox haven't really lost anyone that went on to "greener pastures" in their career after leaving the Sox. Players that quickly come to mind are the pitchers we lost in the White Flag deal. For a more recent example, the White Sox weren't able to re-sign Colon, who went on to the Angels and had a 5 ERA. Sure, that's only one season and he actually won quite a few games, which would've definitely benefited the white sox, but he didn't justify his huge salary with that type of performance. A huge salary such as Colon's or Ordonez's could absolutely strap the sox from making moves such as the Freddy Garcia deal. We had people complain about the financial burden known as Billy Koch, who was making $5-6 million a season if I remember correctly. I can only imagine if we got stuck with a $15 million dollar per yr Ordonez, that's nearly 20% of the ENTIRE payroll. I'm glad the White Sox decided to pass on that, only the truly elite players who lead your team to the world series should be making 20% of the entire team's payroll..

Ventura played for a couple of playoff teams after the Sox, as did Black Jack as did Faulk (Some say he was traded because he was going to want a big contract even though he 'lost' the closer role but that is debatable I guess). I am not mad that Mags left because we have a balanced team. I am mad that Jerry won't spend the money to keep one of the two best and most consistant OF while being able to fill the holes that he did. Mags or Lee would be a huge boost especially that Mags is participating in every drill that the rest of the Tigers are. It appears that he is healthy (for now) and will be a force. KW did the best that he could and I am happy with the team that he has fielded. Like I said before, I won't be booing him nor will I be cheering him. Once the season start I hope to be too busy watching the Sox win to be following Mags' season.

TDog
02-23-2005, 03:50 AM
If you want to put your money in good players of good character, Ordonez seems to be proving he isn't worth that sort of investment. Most people, I'm sure, wish they had the opportunity to be paid millions of dollars after they retire at an age when people are working on their resumes because corporate mergers are forcing massive layoffs at the companies where they've worked for a dozen years and lost their mismanaged 401(k)s.

If Ordonez had some class, he would keep such complaints to himself.

Cubbiesuck13
02-23-2005, 04:13 AM
If you want to put your money in good players of good character, Ordonez seems to be proving he isn't worth that sort of investment. Most people, I'm sure, wish they had the opportunity to be paid millions of dollars after they retire at an age when people are working on their resumes because corporate mergers are forcing massive layoffs at the companies where they've worked for a dozen years and lost their mismanaged 401(k)s.

If Ordonez had some class, he would keep such complaints to himself.

What suprises me about Mags is that he never was a problem when he was playing. He was the exact opposite of the other RF that played in Chicago. He never showboated he never complained he was quite and went about his job kicking butt. Truely sad that he has reduced to this. Part of the reason that I don't have any ill will is because he played the game the way it was supposed to be played. A breath of fresh air when ScaME was polluting Chicago. The other part is that the Sox are a better team than they were last year even without him.

Steelrod
02-23-2005, 04:27 AM
Thought i'd remind everyone that Maggs agent all last year was NOT Boras! The love of the game was so important to him, that he turned down everything thrown his way all year until he could switch agents!!!!
GIVE ME A BREAK! I AM SO TIED OF HIS CRAP!

nccwsfan
02-23-2005, 05:25 AM
With each passing day it is clear that the White Sox did the right thing by cutting ties with Magglio. He had a very good White Sox career, he is now a liability to a franchise, he will get injured again (and again), and the remainder of his career will be rather irrelevant. Finally, he will NOT kill us- I'm a little bit more concerned of overtaking the Twins than I am Magglio's bum knees trying to steer the Tigers to .500...

Cubbiesuck13
02-23-2005, 05:55 AM
With each passing day it is clear that the White Sox did the right thing by cutting ties with Magglio. He had a very good White Sox career, he is now a liability to a franchise, he will get injured again (and again), and the remainder of his career will be rather irrelevant. Finally, he will NOT kill us- I'm a little bit more concerned of overtaking the Twins than I am Magglio's bum knees trying to steer the Tigers to .500...

How do you know that he will get injured again and again? Did you read that article? He is doing every drill that the rest of the team is doing and is exceeding even the optomistic time table for his knee. It seems to me that if he was going to try and nurse his knee through the season he wouldn't be doing anything in ST when the games don't count against his contract.

nccwsfan
02-23-2005, 06:13 AM
How do you know that he will get injured again and again? Did you read that article? He is doing every drill that the rest of the team is doing and is exceeding even the optomistic time table for his knee. It seems to me that if he was going to try and nurse his knee through the season he wouldn't be doing anything in ST when the games don't count against his contract.

Cubbiessuck13,
Performing every drill in February is quite a bit different from playing day in/day out in July, August, etc. If he's healthy all season and is playing into August w/o problems I'll admit I was wrong, but 2 major knee surgeries and shock therapy in 12 months doesn't bode well for him long term. If you think he's back and will do damage, cool- I think he's going to be an injury prone career DH whose best days are in the rear view mirror. JMO. :cool:

And yes, I did read the article- doesn't change my mind one bit.

Cubbiesuck13
02-23-2005, 06:25 AM
Cubbiessuck13,
Performing every drill in February is quite a bit different from playing day in/day out in July, August, etc. If he's healthy all season and is playing into August w/o problems I'll admit I was wrong, but 2 major knee surgeries and shock therapy in 12 months doesn't bode well for him long term. If you think he's back and will do damage, cool- I think he's going to be an injury prone career DH whose best days are in the rear view mirror. JMO. :cool:

And yes, I did read the article- doesn't change my mind one bit.

So what do you feel about Trammel saying he was suprised that Mags was not limping? And then you read that not only is he able to walk fine but is running fine as well. If Mags was limping then I would see your point but Mags is not nursing his knee. From these boards you got the feeling that he would be lucky to walk without crutches on opening day.

Hangar18
02-23-2005, 07:36 AM
Its becoming pretty apparent that Magglio is going to be Healthy,
and is going to hurt the SOX. Im very glad he didnt go to the CUBS,
that wouldve been horrible. All this is proving to me, is that he knew
he was Healthy and DIDNT give the SOX the benefit of the doubt of
letting himself get checked out ........ Again, I blame the SOX
because had he called their bluff, We wouldve given away KONERKO
and then WSI would be full of threads wondering who should play
1b while Thomas is out ........

Cubbiesuck13
02-23-2005, 07:43 AM

I like the team we have better than the team with him on it less the additions that would not have been possible with his salary. I agree that he is going to be a force. If the Tigers' rotation can string together some wins then they will be a better team than the Indians. I think both will give the Sox problems.

voodoochile
02-23-2005, 08:52 AM

I have no idea what that means.

Hangar, you are losing it. No more tinfoil. No more newspapers and for cripes sake stay away from sharp objects.

Magglio's gone. Get over it. He did it to himself. He lied. He postured. He hired the biggest sleaziest agent he could. He stiffed the Sox. He lied to the fans and in the end had to sign a contract where he proves he can actually play for a full year to get the money the Sox offered him guaranteed last spring.

Let it go...

ja1022
02-23-2005, 09:00 AM

Sounds like a story Oliver Stone would be interested in. Magglio, in theatres Summer 2006.

Brian26
02-23-2005, 09:03 AM
If there's a Pay-Rod, then there HAS to be a MaggliDough.

Magglidough is fantastic! I love that.

Brian26
02-23-2005, 09:05 AM

Hangar- The article said that Boras only let teams watch Mags swing while negotiating with him. He didn't even permit teams to watch him RUN before they signed the contract! That's insane. I figured the Tigers were allowed to watch Mags run during a personal workout. I can't blame the Sox one bit for not signing him. What the Tigers did was a completely insane risk on their part. It's crazy.

samram
02-23-2005, 09:10 AM

So, he knew he was healthy and said he loves Chicago and wants to play there, but he wouldn't let either team in town check him out to see that he was healthy when, if he did, one of the two could have signed him and his wish to stay in town would have been granted. Instead, he decides not to let anybody check him out and he gets stuck in Detroit with a deal that may terminate after this season. In that case, he's not a bad guy, he's just stupid (or his agent is, which isn't true).

By your logic, if he knew he was healthy and still didn't give the Sox the "benefit of the doubt" (whatever that means), then the Sox never had a chance anyway.

Hangar18
02-23-2005, 09:24 AM
So, he knew he was healthy and said he loves Chicago and wants to play there, but he wouldn't let either team in town check him out to see that he was healthy when, if he did, one of the two could have signed him and his wish to stay in town would have been granted. Instead, he decides not to let anybody check him out and he gets stuck in Detroit with a deal that may terminate after this season. In that case, he's not a bad guy, he's just stupid (or his agent is, which isn't true).

By your logic, if he knew he was healthy and still didn't give the Sox the "benefit of the doubt" (whatever that means), then the Sox never had a chance anyway.

I guess that was the point of my post. The healthier he gets, the sleazier
I think he really was in dealing with the team that Drafted him. He WAS
my favorite all time sox player, which makes dealing with all of this
pretty tough. Screw him. Voodoo is right. He dissed us and the SOX.

Again though, the SOX never shouldve
let the situation deteriorate the way it did. I honestly believe if the SOX
made a decent offer a couple yrs ago (before the 70mill he foolishly rejected)
this wouldnt be happening.

But your right, we saved all this money for all the wrong reasons, but managed to spend it the right way.

Flight #24
02-23-2005, 09:35 AM

If Magglio is healthy, then he needs to fire Boras, because he's got a contract contingent on him not having a reoccurence, plus you have to figure that you'd have had more teams bidding on a healthy Maggs and driving his price up.

So either he's healthy, but Boras & he decided to cost himself $$$ by not proving it, or he's not actually 100% healthy (or at least an exam would show that there's a significant chance of reoccurence).

TDog
02-23-2005, 10:25 AM
I guess that was the point of my post. The healthier he gets, the sleazier
I think he really was in dealing with the team that Drafted him. ...

The Sox didn't draft Ordonez. They signed him as a free agent to his first professional contract in 1991, there not being a draft of Venezuelan amateurs.

It is a stretch to assume that because Ordonez isn't limping he will hurt the Sox. I would be surprised if he hurts the Sox as much as Joe Crede has hurt the Tigers in recent years.

Baby Fisk
02-23-2005, 10:41 AM
If Ordoñez wants to keep up the wounded diva routine, let him. Hopefully it's all bulletin board material that will be sorted out starting April 20 & 21 in Detroit.

Palehose13
02-23-2005, 11:12 AM
Wow. Someone is bitter that he is playing with the Tigers.

spawn
02-23-2005, 11:19 AM
I was just checking out Tiger fans reaction to the article. They love it. They even love it that he once again ripped the Sox. It's funny, but they don't see Magglio being pissed he's playing for the Tigers. It seems everyone here picked up on that, but Tigger fans don't see it. To me, Magglio is the Tiger's new right fielder. Maybe he should concentrate on that. I know I'm moving on, and am excited about our acquisitions. If Ordonez wants to be bitter, that's his problem.:cool:

Palehose13
02-23-2005, 11:33 AM
I was just checking out Tiger fans reaction to the article. They love it. They even love it that he once again ripped the Sox. It's funny, but they don't see Magglio being pissed he's playing for the Tigers. It seems everyone here picked up on that, but Tigger fans don't see it. To me, Magglio is the Tiger's new right fielder. Maybe he should concentrate on that. I know I'm moving on, and am excited about our acquisitions. If Ordonez wants to be bitter, that's his problem.:cool:

Agreed. I don't see Jermaine Dye ripping on the A's, AJ Pierzynski ripping on the Giants, or Podsednik ripping on the Brewers (other than saying it's nice to play for a contender :wink: ). Heck, even Willie Harris appears to have a good attitude. Good riddance Maggli-dough.

RKMeibalane
02-23-2005, 12:00 PM
Maggs will get what's coming to him when Paul Konerko pokes a double into the rightfield corner, and he isn't able to run it down in time to stop Paul from legging out a triple.

MUsoxfan
02-23-2005, 12:02 PM
Maggs will get what's coming to him when Paul Konerko pokes a double into the rightfield corner, and he isn't able to run it down in time to stop Paul from legging out a triple.

I love Paulie, but that would only happen if Maggs was in a wheelchair out there. :tongue:

MRKARNO
02-23-2005, 12:05 PM
Did anyone else catch the part of that article where he seemingly blamed the lack of a World Series ring on Kenny not trading him to the Red Sox this offseason? He genuinely seemed to have a gripe about NOT getting traded. Talk about bitter without cause...

MUsoxfan
02-23-2005, 12:09 PM
Did anyone else catch the part of that article where he seemingly blamed the lack of a World Series ring on Kenny not trading him to the Red Sox this offseason? He genuinely seemed to have a gripe about NOT getting traded. Talk about bitter without cause...

He probably feels that if he was in Boston then he wouldn't have gotten into a collision in the first place, he'd have a World Series ring and he'd be going into a contract year after all of that probably being in his mind a Top 3 payed player in baseball. His hindsight is 20/20

Brian26
02-23-2005, 12:14 PM
He probably feels that if he was in Boston then he wouldn't have gotten into a collision in the first place, he'd have a World Series ring and he'd be going into a contract year after all of that probably being in his mind a Top 3 payed player in baseball. His hindsight is 20/20

Assuming that he would go to the World Series if he was in Boston last year is about as flawed as one's logic could be.

RKMeibalane
02-23-2005, 12:14 PM

If he had been traded, there's no guarantee that the Red Sox would have won the WS. In order to beat the Yankees, they needed many of the players that they accquired in the Nomar deal (i.e. Cabrerra). If Maggs had been dealt for Nomar, there's no way to know who might have been playing in Boston during the ALCS. Ordonez needs to get over himself and accept the hand that fate has dealt him. He didn't want to sign with the Sox before the injury- a decision that he made. He shouldn't be whining about how Williams treated him, especially since he now has a contract that he didn't deserve in the first place.

Magglio Ordonez = Spoiled Brat

RKMeibalane
02-23-2005, 12:21 PM
Assuming that he would go to the World Series if he was in Boston last year is about as flawed as one's logic could be.

Agreed. As I said in my previous post, the subsequent trades and signings made by Boston as a result of not getting Ordonez during offseason played a significant role in the Red Sox reaching the World Series. Magglio is losing more and more credibility each time he opens his mouth. He's making Frank Thomas look like a PR genius.

RKMeibalane
02-23-2005, 12:23 PM
While I'm thinking about it, I want to make the following point: I hope that anyone and everyone who thought that Magglio Ordonez was a bigger part of the Sox organization than Frank Thomas is now enjoying a large plate of crow. All reports out of Sox camp indicate that Frank is working his ass off to get back and help his team. Meanwhile, Magglio seems intent on goading Kenny Williams into a pissing contest over a contract that he didn't deserve.

MUsoxfan
02-23-2005, 12:28 PM
While I'm thinking about it, I want to make the following point: I hope that anyone and everyone who thought that Magglio Ordonez was a bigger part of the Sox organization than Frank Thomas is now enjoying a large plate of crow. All reports out of Sox camp indicate that Frank is working his ass off to get back and help his team. Meanwhile, Magglio seems intent on goading Kenny Williams into a pissing contest over a contract that he didn't deserve.

I want to pat myself on the back for being among the very first WSIers to wish Magglio bon voyage early last summer. From the very first moment he was in the contract dispute I knew he was overpricing himself for someone who may possibly have been the 2nd or 3rd best outfielder ON THE SOX at the time. I caught ALOT of grief for it then, but I'm glad most people saw the truth.

Brian26
02-23-2005, 12:29 PM
If he had been traded, there's no guarantee that the Red Sox would have won the WS. In order to beat the Yankees, they needed many of the players that they accquired in the Nomar deal (i.e. Cabrerra). If Maggs had been dealt for Nomar, there's no way to know who might have been playing in Boston during the ALCS. Ordonez needs to get over himself and accept the hand that fate has dealt him. He didn't want to sign with the Sox before the injury- a decision that he made. He shouldn't be whining about how Williams treated him, especially since he now has a contract that he didn't deserve in the first place.

Exactly. Not only do the Red Sox not get Cabrera or Mienkewitz, but the whole premise is based on Magglio being able to produce at the same level as Manny Ramirez did for them last year, especially come playoff time. With all due respect to Magglidough, that's a hell of an assumption.

Brian26
02-23-2005, 12:31 PM
I want to pat myself on the back for being among the very first WSIers to wish Magglio bon voyage early last summer. From the very first moment he was in the contract dispute I knew he was overpricing himself for someone who may possibly have been the 2nd or 3rd best outfielder ON THE SOX at the time. I caught ALOT of grief for it then, but I'm glad most people saw the truth.

But, he was going to get paid in 2020! What is THAT?

Oh-E-Oh, Maggli-dough.

NSSoxFan
02-23-2005, 12:33 PM
Wow. Someone is bitter that he is playing with the Tigers.

While there are some people that are bitter about him playing with the Tiggers, I am not one of them. There is something in this world called class, something that Magglio doesn't have. I'm sorry, but the only thing I'm bitter about is not having a chance to go up to this guys face and telling him to shut his pie hole.

flo-B-flo
02-23-2005, 01:34 PM
Who's magglio? He gone. move on:wink:

Palehose13
02-23-2005, 01:36 PM
While there are some people that are bitter about him playing with the Tiggers, I am not one of them. There is something in this world called class, something that Magglio doesn't have. I'm sorry, but the only thing I'm bitter about is not having a chance to go up to this guys face and telling him to shut his pie hole.

I was trying to subtly say that Magglio is bitter that he is playing with the Tigers. I agree with you 100%.

spawn
02-23-2005, 01:47 PM
Something else I realized about this column. It seems the Cubune is subtly trying to paint the Sox in a bad way while absolving the SCrubs of not signing him, especially after reading this part of the article:

Health will be a season-long story line with Ordonez. His contract allows the Tigers to void the remaining four seasons if he spends 25 days on the disabled list with a recurrence of the left knee injury, which was diagnosed as bone marrow edema.

"That's a grievance waiting to happen," an executive with another major-league club said. "How are they going to get him onto the disabled list, especially in the American League? All he has to do is limp up to the plate [as the designated hitter]."

Also, Maggi-dough said this:

"I don't have any regrets, any bad feelings with the White Sox," Ordonez said. "Everything changes. That's how life is. You can be in one place today and another place tomorrow. You can have everything today and nothing tomorrow."

Then why are you still crying?:rolleyes:

NSSoxFan
02-23-2005, 02:01 PM
I was trying to subtly say that Magglio is bitter that he is playing with the Tigers. I agree with you 100%.

Sorry bout that, my fault. :wink:

Palehose13
02-23-2005, 02:18 PM
Sorry bout that, my fault. :wink:

No problem. I can see how it could have been taken another way...especially if you are an overly defensive person! :wink:

NSSoxFan
02-23-2005, 02:32 PM
No problem. I can see how it could have been taken another way...especially if you are an overly defensive person! :wink:

Who me? No way.

Brian26
02-23-2005, 03:20 PM
Something else I realized about this column. It seems the Cubune is subtly trying to paint the Sox in a bad way while absolving the SCrubs of not signing him, especially after reading this part of the article

Yeah, I caught that too. That whole column was a complete piece of crap.

Steelrod
02-23-2005, 03:35 PM
But, he was going to get paid in 2020! What is THAT?

Oh-E-Oh, Maggli-dough.

I call that SMART! Getting some of your money later when you are in a lower tax bracket. Unless he is still playing at a high level at 45 years old.
Smart money people divert their income to later. But what do I know?

Palehose13
02-23-2005, 03:36 PM
I call that SMART! Getting some of your money later when you are in a lower tax bracket. Unless he is still playing at a high level at 45 years old.
Smart money people divert their income to later. But what do I know?

What are you talking about? He'll easily blow through 10 million a year. He needs the money now!

Ol' No. 2
02-23-2005, 03:45 PM
Smart money people divert their income to later. But what do I know?Lower tax bracket?:?: The highest bracket there is starts at $319,100. I don't think he's going to get below that.

Corlose 15
02-23-2005, 04:04 PM
Be glad you guys don't live in Michigan and get to listen to Tigers fans fawn over "Maggs" and how now they're going to win 90 games and the division.

Screw Maggs, let him go to the piece of crap that is Detroit and toil on a losing team for the rest of his career.

Viva Medias B's
02-23-2005, 04:08 PM

I can hear Hawk now:

:hawk
"COME ON PAULIE!!! COME ON PAULIE!!! COME ON PAULIE!!!"

RKMeibalane
02-23-2005, 04:08 PM
I can hear Hawk now:

:hawk
"COME ON PAULIE!!! COME ON PAULIE!!! COME ON PAULIE!!!"

He'd be screaming for a long time.

Steelrod
02-23-2005, 07:26 PM
What are you talking about? He'll easily blow through 10 million a year. He needs the money now!
lol
...but I guess thats my point!

SOX ADDICT '73
02-23-2005, 08:41 PM
Magg$ is gonna wish he signed that deferred-money deal when he's hobbling around his Venezuelan chicken farm in 2020.

Whitesox029
02-23-2005, 10:01 PM
Does he really expect the Sox fans to cheer him when he comes back? If he does he must be as naive as he is greedy because with all the crap he's saying about the Sox there isn't a chance in hell that anyone's going to cheer him.
Have fun in 4th place, Jagglio.

cubhater
02-23-2005, 10:29 PM
Be glad you guys don't live in Michigan and get to listen to Tigers fans fawn over "Maggs" and how now they're going to win 90 games and the division.

Screw Maggs, let him go to the piece of crap that is Detroit and toil on a losing team for the rest of his career.

I talked with my friend in Detroit shortly after the trade and she was soooooo excited about getting Ordonez. She didn't read the paper to find out the stipulations on his contract and ignored me when I pointed out how Detroit is taking a MAJOR risk. She's only thinking positive but man, is she and the rest of Tiger Nation (or County) gonna regret this deal. Their payroll is screwed for years!

Cubbiesuck13
02-23-2005, 10:38 PM
If I remember correctly, everyone was talking about the first meeting with the Tigers as no big deal because no one thought Mags would be ready to play. Well look out because good or bad in Comerica, worth the money or not, he looks like he will be playing from the start. I still fail to understand how some people on this board knows he is going to suck and/or get injured. I never thought I would be worried about the Tigers but if he does play for the entire season they will have an above average line-up. Fortunatly the have a below average rotation and a couple of head cases in the bullpen (who have the ability to be above average as well).

Ol' No. 2
02-23-2005, 10:41 PM
If I remember correctly, everyone was talking about the first meeting with the Tigers as no big deal because no one thought Mags would be ready to play. Well look out because good or bad in Comerica, worth the money or not, he looks like he will be playing from the start. I still fail to understand how some people on this board knows he is going to suck and/or get injured. I never thought I would be worried about the Tigers but if he does play for the entire season they will have an above average line-up. Fortunatly the have a below average rotation and a couple of head cases in the bullpen (who have the ability to be above average as well).Even a healthy Magglio could not save that team. They're .500 at best. Good enough for 4th place right behind Cleveland.

JUribe1989
02-23-2005, 10:50 PM
Jesus, why doesn't gagglio ever shut up? He has become the most annoying person in professional sports!

SomebodyToldMe
02-23-2005, 11:46 PM
Magglidough is fantastic! I love that.

:D: I think I need to copyright that.

cubhater
02-24-2005, 06:36 AM
Jesus, why doesn't gagglio ever shut up? He has become the most annoying person in professional sports!

Magg$ doesn't compare to Bonds, Sosa, and Moss and the Red Sox.

Steelrod
02-24-2005, 03:39 PM
Lower tax bracket?:?: The highest bracket there is starts at $319,100. I don't think he's going to get below that.

Are you an expert in
Venezuelian income tax laws?

Ol' No. 2
02-24-2005, 03:45 PM
Are you an expert in
Venezuelian income tax laws?If it's earned here he pays US taxes on it. If the Venezuelan taxes are that much higher I'd have to assume he'd be smart enough (or have a smart enough advisor) to keep his official residence here.

GiveMeSox
02-24-2005, 04:20 PM
The fact that he is still talking about the Sox is a sign that they pissed him off pretty good. He made some good points and I can understand some of his frustration. However, Isn't it funny that he said "hopefully I can get one (World Series ring) in Detroit." He knows he will never get one in Detroit and if the Contract plays through he will be at the end of his career. No ring for Mags. Has anyone else noticed that the guys signing outrageous contracts have not won a rigng yet? Am I wrong on that?

The point is Maggs is no different from any me first player in the league. We thought he was classy, we thought he was different. We were wrong. When Maggs said over and over his #1 priority was to stay with the sox that means you are willing to make concessions and work with the teams financial situation to get a deal done. If he really was all about the fans and the team then our offer of 5 years 60 mil or how ever much it was should have been more than enough. In a scale of salaries of the team 12 mil per year would make him the highest paid player on the team. Whats the difference between 12 mil per and 14 mil per. Nothing when you say staying a sox is #1 prioirty. It only makes a difference when all you are after is the money. The sox are not the yanks, bosox, cubs, or whoever who constantly get into bidding wars and overpay for players. If I was Maggs and really wanted to stay I would recognize that and work with it, not against it. What a joke this guy is.

P.S. He whines about the deffered money int he last year. According to MLB rules as of 2002 any contracts with deffered money have to paid out no more than 2 years after the fiscal year (with interest) for that years salary ends. So if Maggs contract had $12 mil deffered in 2009 then he would have to be paid that $12 mil with interest no later than July of 2011. Oh man what a big pain the ass right. You have got to be kidding me Maggs you greedy selfish pig.