PDA

View Full Version : Konerko/Contract Article from Whitesox.com

Joosh
02-22-2005, 10:06 PM
Konerko patiently awaits contract
White Sox have all season to offer first baseman a deal
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20050222&content_id=948275&vkey=spt2005news&fext=.jsp

Konerko, who turns 29 on March 5, will earn $8.75 million in the final year of his contract. With the large multi-year, monetary deals signed by Richie Sexson, Carlos Delgado and even Troy Glaus during the past offseason, Konerko should be in line for a similar sort of bountiful payday.

But at this point, just 30 minutes after the White Sox's first full workout, a new contract wasn't foremost in Konerko's mind. It's probably a good sign of how Konerko will handle the situation throughout the 2005 campaign.

NSSoxFan
02-22-2005, 10:13 PM
Pauly has said in the past that he will not make his contract an issue during the season. I believe he saw how contract talks with Maggs disrupted the clubhouse last year to the effect that everyone knew he wasn't coming back. PK has a lot more class and I believe the Sox will reward him if he has another great year. Somewhere around 9-10 mil per for 4-5 years.

FightingBillini
02-22-2005, 11:02 PM
Which goes once again to show:

Konerko = class

NonetheLoaiza
02-22-2005, 11:09 PM
Good for Paulie. Hopefully he puts up some good numbers this year to help lead us to a division title. If he has a season like last, he no doubt deserves 9-10 mm a year.

JUribe1989
02-22-2005, 11:15 PM
Man, that guy has so much class. He is just showing how much more of a jerk Maggs is. Paul-ee Paul-ee Paul-ee Paul-ee Paul-ee. I can't wait to be chanting that on opening day! BTW BULLS WIN!

HITMEN OF 77
02-23-2005, 01:18 AM
The guy wants to be here and is happy here. If the Sox blow this one....:angry: !!

SABRSox
02-23-2005, 01:29 AM
Don't know why, but I really think this will get done. The next question is this: Does Paulie getting an extension = the end of the Frank Thomas era?

Jabroni
02-23-2005, 01:30 AM
Don't know why, but I really think this will get done. The next question is this: Does Paulie getting an extension = the end of the Frank Thomas era?Good question.

SSN721
02-23-2005, 06:57 AM
Don't know why, but I really think this will get done. The next question is this: Does Paulie getting an extension = the end of the Frank Thomas era?

I really hope not, hopefully whenever Frank comes back he picks up where he left off last year and Konerko repeatslast year. I am glad that at least the team doesnt really have to worry about that til after this coming season. It would be terrible for contract talks to disrupt the potential good clubhouse chemistry we should have this year.

JRIG
02-23-2005, 07:58 AM
Which goes once again to show:

Konerko = class

Yeah. Like that time he called out Frank Thomas in the locker room.

I like Paulie, don't get me wrong. But a guy not making a big deal out of earning $8.75 million this year and being in line for a $10 million deal no matter where he signs next year is just not the biggest thing in the world.

crector
02-23-2005, 08:12 AM

I sure hope not.

soxtalker
02-23-2005, 08:33 AM
Sure is amazing how the sentiment has changed on this board. It wasn't long ago that there were almost daily threads essentially asking that he be traded for "a bag of balls". I suppose that is worth remembering any time we get too high or too down on a player. A season is a long time in baseball.

SoxFanTillDeath
02-23-2005, 09:56 AM
Sure is amazing how the sentiment has changed on this board. It wasn't long ago that there were almost daily threads essentially asking that he be traded for "a bag of balls". I suppose that is worth remembering any time we get too high or too down on a player. A season is a long time in baseball.

Very, very good point.

Ol' No. 2
02-23-2005, 10:04 AM
Don't know why, but I really think this will get done. The next question is this: Does Paulie getting an extension = the end of the Frank Thomas era?Nah. Attendance will skyrocket this year when they win their division going away and go on to win the WS. Everyone will forget about the Cubs and the Sox will become Chicago's new media darlings. They'll top 3M in attendance every year and Reinsdorf will have so much money coming in he'll boost payroll all the way to $80M.

Hangar18
02-23-2005, 10:06 AM

:reinsy Dont Blame me with this one Kids. Its up to you.
Do you want Paulie, or I can save A Bunch of Money on My car insur......errr,
I can save a Bunch of Money and Sign Frank. Whats it gonna be?
Baaaaa haaaa haaa, Baaaa haaaa haaaaa And Dont say WHY dont I just
Keep BOTH, because I'll trade Buehrle then .........

Hangar18
02-23-2005, 10:10 AM
Nah. Attendance will skyrocket this year .........
Reinsdorf will have so much money coming in he'll boost payroll all the way to $80M.

:reinsy hahaha hhaaa hhahahha hahhaah hooooooo hooooo hee hee
oh man, stop it guys, your killing me here, hooo hooooo.

santo=dorf
02-23-2005, 10:55 AM

Of course. Don't you remember hearing KW coming out saying Ross Gload would be replacing Frank Thomas?

MaggPipes
02-23-2005, 11:43 AM
Letting Frank and/or Konerko go would be a huge mistake. Sure, I like what KW has done with adding the Speed and D and in a perfect world that would work. But guess what? We play in the American League, and we HAVE to be able to hit the long ball. I like the fact that we finally added a speedy CF that we hope can rebound, and I like the fact that Carlos Lee isn't roaming LF anymore, but Konerko and Thomas must stay.

HITMEN OF 77
02-23-2005, 12:00 PM

How many more years can Frank play and be healthy is the question?

Ol' No. 2
02-23-2005, 12:03 PM
How many more years can Frank play and be healthy is the question?It's a huge question. How much more can his body take? He really wants to get to 500 HR. If he can stay healthy this year and next, he should make it. If he does, I'll bet he hangs them up after 2006.

GiveMeSox
02-23-2005, 12:42 PM
Pauly has said in the past that he will not make his contract an issue during the season. I believe he saw how contract talks with Maggs disrupted the clubhouse last year to the effect that everyone knew he wasn't coming back. PK has a lot more class and I believe the Sox will reward him if he has another great year. Somewhere around 9-10 mil per for 4-5 years.

Id say perfect middle ground for both parties is 4 years 36 mil with an option for a 5th or a buyout with a partial no trade.

HITMEN OF 77
02-23-2005, 03:16 PM
It's a huge question. How much more can his body take? He really wants to get to 500 HR. If he can stay healthy this year and next, he should make it. If he does, I'll ...bet he hangs them up after 2006.

That's what I was thinking too. He needs to stay off the playing field though. He has a greater chance of getting injured and if gets hurt again like he did a few years back, his career is over.

Jabroni
02-23-2005, 03:21 PM
:reinsy Dont Blame me with this one Kids. Its up to you.
Do you want Paulie, or I can save A Bunch of Money on My car insur......errr,
I can save a Bunch of Money and Sign Frank. Whats it gonna be?
Baaaaa haaaa haaa, Baaaa haaaa haaaaa And Dont say WHY dont I just
Keep BOTH, because I'll trade Buehrle then .........That's just wrong man. :)