PDA

View Full Version : Placido Polanco hopes for a trade

Jabroni
02-22-2005, 09:40 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.asp?leaguenum=&sport=MLB&id=6049
Latest News Feb. 22, 2005 - 5:52 pm et

Placido Polanco, who accepted Philadelphia's offer of arbitration after not finding the free-agent market to his liking, hopes to be traded to a team willing to use him as a regular.
''It's a situation I can't control,'' Polanco said. ''I don't like to be in this situation. I hate to be in this situation, but I have to live with it.'' Let's all feel sorry for the player who chose -- yes chose -- to make $4.6 million to act as a reserve rather than $3 million or so to be a starter elsewhere. The Phillies figure to be very open to trading Polanco if anyone wants him.

wsoxfan
02-22-2005, 10:29 PM
He knew this was gonna happen when he accepted arbitration, I would've loved to have him on the Sox but now we got the asian sensation in Tadahito Iguchi. :bandance:

Brian26
02-22-2005, 10:50 PM
Not saying he can replace Uribe....but I'm curious if Palanco can play short at all.

FightingBillini
02-22-2005, 10:51 PM
Well, I dont think he has a no trade clause. The Sox should acquire him as the utilityman. He can play 2B, SS, and 3B. He may be upset that he cant start here, but he probably has a better chance of playing here than in Philly. I mean, he isnt going to play much there, so he would have nothing to lose coming to the Sox and hoping that Crede blows or Iguchi gets out to a slow start. The question is, do we have anything the Phillies want?

Brian26
02-22-2005, 10:54 PM
That would be a hell of a pick-up if Polanco is indeed so versatile. Any chance the Phils would take Willie straight-up?

Jabroni
02-22-2005, 11:35 PM
That would be a hell of a pick-up if Polanco is indeed so versatile. Any chance the Phils would take Willie straight-up?Maybe, if they thought Willie could be a CF'er and leadoff man. The reason they want to trade Polanco is because they want to go with Chase Utley at 2B and don't want to pay Polanco $4.6 million. They have Kenny Lofton in CF right now but he's nearing retirement. Marlon Byrd has also been a disappointment for them in CF. The problem is that we don't have the $4.6 million to pay Polanco. However, we would have an amazing infield with alot of depth. Polanco can play 2B, 3B, and SS.

SABRSox
02-23-2005, 12:43 AM
Maybe, if they thought Willie could be a CF'er and leadoff man. The reason they want to trade Polanco is because they want to go with Chase Utley at 2B and don't want to pay Polanco $4.6 million. They have Kenny Lofton in CF right now but he's nearing retirement. Marlon Byrd has also been a disappointment for them in CF. The problem is that we don't have the $4.6 million to pay Polanco.

I think the Phils would have to eat some of that salary to move him. I would be all for a Willie/Polanco trade if they would send cash as well, but I assume prospects would then enter the fray and that wouldn't be worth it. I bet they'll find a way to get Polanco at bats, most likely David Bell's.

Jabroni
02-23-2005, 12:47 AM
I think the Phils would have to eat some of that salary to move him. I would be all for a Willie/Polanco trade if they would send cash as well, but I assume prospects would then enter the fray and that wouldn't be worth it. I bet they'll find a way to get Polanco at bats, most likely David Bell's.Agreed, but Bell had a great season last year as well. Would you want to bench this?

David Bell (http://philadelphia.phillies.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player.jsp?player_id=110816) (2004 stats)
.291 AVG
.363 OBP
18 HR
77 RBI
55 BB
75 SO

If Crede could do that this year, I'd go nuts.

SABRSox
02-23-2005, 12:54 AM
Agreed, but Bell had a great season last year as well. Would you want to bench this?

David Bell (http://philadelphia.phillies.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player.jsp?player_id=110816) (2004 stats)
.291 AVG
.363 OBP
18 HR
77 RBI
55 BB
75 SO

If Crede could do that this year, I'd go nuts.

Yeah, so would I. But then again, I'd like to have Polanco as a Crede insurance policy as well, just not at $4.6 mil.

mdep524
02-23-2005, 02:01 AM
''It's a situation I can't control,'' Polanco said. ''I don't like to be in this situation. I hate to be in this situation, but I have to live with it.''Ummm, Placido, in case you didn't notice, you willingly chose this situation over other options with full knowledge of the results. Ha! Oh well, I did want to see the Sox go after him at one point, but the signing of Tadahito took care of that need. Yes he would be a great super-sub (he plays 2B, SS AND 3B- all very well), but there's no way the Sox are taking on his contract, even if they could get a less-than-market-value trade.

Jabroni
02-23-2005, 02:06 AM
[/color]Ummm, Placido, in case you didn't notice, you willingly chose this situation over other options with full knowledge of the results. Ha! Oh well, I did want to see the Sox go after him at one point, but the signing of Tadahito took care of that need. Yes he would be a great super-sub (he plays 2B, SS AND 3B- all very well), but there's no way the Sox are taking on his contract, even if they could get a less-than-market-value trade.Yep, Polanco is the one who chose to go to arbitration to get an extra $1.6 million from the Philles instead of going to free agency and likely signing for around $3 million. The Phillies didn't even want him back! I'm glad we have Iguchi for much less money.

soxfan26
02-23-2005, 09:45 AM
That would be a hell of a pick-up if Polanco is indeed so versatile. Any chance the Phils would take Willie straight-up?

The real question is: $4.6 million?

And the answer...

:reinsy
"HA HA HA, no seriously Kenny what did you come in here to ask me?"

Blueprint1
02-23-2005, 10:44 AM
Yep, Polanco is the one who chose to go to arbitration to get an extra $1.6 million from the Philles instead of going to free agency and likely signing for around $3 million. The Phillies didn't even want him back! I'm glad we have Iguchi for much less money.

Actually it looks like the Phillies were trying to get someones draft pick by offering arbitration to a player and expecting him to sign with someone else. Now they are stuck paying this guy to sit on the bench. You shouldn't offer arbitration to a player you have no intention of signing it might come back to burn you like it did this time. This is a good example of how that rule doesn't work. Although I like how the Yankees lose draft picks when they sign everyone Else's star players.