View Full Version : Harris Hopes To Beat Out Iguchi

DrCrawdad
02-22-2005, 05:22 PM
"You got to have, high hopes..."

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2005-02/16402088.jpg
Harris hopes to beat out Iguchi

The Associated Press

February 22, 2005, 4:09 PM CST

TUCSON, Ariz. -- ...His only plan is to beat out Japanese sensation Tadahito Iguchi for a starting job.

Harris received his first chance to play almost every day a year ago as the White Sox starting second baseman. The third-year major league player figured he would build on his role this season, but that changed when the Sox signed Iguchi to a lucrative two-year, $4.95 million contract in January.

"...I love this organization and I love this team. I don't want to go anywhere, but sometimes if you don't fit in, you don't fit in; you have to take that and deal with it," Harris said Tuesday after the team's first workout together.

"All I can do is go out and play the game the best I can. If I am out of here, then I am out of here, but no, I do not want to leave here..."

Partial quote from a ChicagoSports.com AP article.

The Wunsch
02-22-2005, 05:26 PM
Nothin wrong with a little healthy competetion. I think harris will make a great back-up infielder and pinch hitter/runner. Or maybe good trade bait later this year

mweflen
02-22-2005, 05:32 PM
:rolling:!

DumpJerry
02-22-2005, 05:33 PM
If Willie's plan to improve works out, we'll be stronger up the middle.

rdivaldi
02-22-2005, 05:40 PM
Whether or not he can do it, at least Willie is saying/doing the right thing. How awful it would be if he was whining right now?

Palehose13
02-22-2005, 05:41 PM
If he plans on beating out Iguchi, he better have better form than what that picture shows when fielding a ground ball...

DrCrawdad
02-22-2005, 05:44 PM
Whether or not he can do it, at least Willie is saying/doing the right thing. How awful it would be if he was whining right now?

If Willie has a fantastic spring training, hits .400 with more SB & HR than anyone else on the team and plays a spectacular second base, Iguchi will still be the starting 2nd baseman.

ND_Sox_Fan
02-22-2005, 05:47 PM
If he plans on beating out Iguchi, he better have better form than what that picture shows when fielding a ground ball...

Better form?? What's wrong with that? His behind is down, arms extended, foot open to first base (where he is throwing), bare hand there for the transition - I see no problem.

On the topic of the thread - if he didn't have that attitude, there is no place for him on this team or in life itself. How would it be to go into Spring Training or life with the goal of being the back-up. I am happy he has that goal - it is only going to make the team better.

Ol' No. 2
02-22-2005, 05:48 PM
If Willie has a fantastic spring training, hits .400 with more SB & HR than anyone else on the team and plays a spectacular second base, Iguchi will still be the starting 2nd baseman.Unless Iguchi absolutely blows chunks. In that case I can see Willie getting a fair amount of playing time early on while they try to ease Iguchi in. But they're not paying Iguchi $5M to watch from the dugout. He'd have to be pretty bad to not get the job.

Baby Fisk
02-22-2005, 05:48 PM

Obviously he's going to say and do all the right things as long as he feels he's getting a chance. If he started whining as soon as he got to Tucson, his days would be numbered (if they already aren't).

mweflen
02-22-2005, 05:50 PM
Maybe if Willie just gets in front of every ball hit to Gucci, the coaching staff will just not have enough information to go on!

Failing that, there's the Nancy Kerrigan approach Willie took on Maggs last year...

SoxFan76
02-22-2005, 05:54 PM
I hope he improves as well. He had a decent year last year. But it will take 40 SBs and a .300 average to even have an outside chance at starting over Iguchi.

Palehose13
02-22-2005, 05:59 PM
Better form?? What's wrong with that? His behind is down, arms extended, foot open to first base (where he is throwing), bare hand there for the transition - I see no problem.

Um...I have a major problem with his left leg. He's on his heel and his leg is straightened. It doesn't look like the ball took him out of range for his left leg to be like that.

CWSGuy406
02-22-2005, 06:00 PM

Go ahead and bash Harris on his attitude, but defense is something you can't really bash him on. He's got a ton of range, and plays a real good second base. I highly doubt we'll be upgrading defensively from our Uribe/Harris combo at second last season with Iguchi this year...

ND_Sox_Fan
02-22-2005, 06:02 PM
Um...I have a major problem with his left leg. He's on his heel and his leg is straightened. It doesn't look like the ball took him out of range for his left leg to be like that.

I would be willing to bet that he just rounded into the path of the ball so as to position himself to throw to first. He is probably "rocking" into the perfect position - his left leg will probably be bent and the foot will be down as he receives the ball.

Baby Fisk

Holy crap. Sometimes the conversations in this place make me feel like I know absolutely nothing about baseball. :redface:

Jerome
If Harris has an amazing spring, maybe we could put harris or Iguchi at short and have Uribe move to third. I know it's desperate, but I'm really not confident in Joe's ability to hit a baseball consistently.

Palehose13
02-22-2005, 06:06 PM
Go ahead and bash Harris on his attitude, but defense is something you can't really bash him on. He's got a ton of range, and plays a real good second base. I highly doubt we'll be upgrading defensively from our Uribe/Harris combo at second last season with Iguchi this year...

All I did was say something about his form in this picture. Sorry, but I coach (and played MI) and when I saw that I didn't think it was textbook. I also thought it would be good for a giggle.

I would be willing to bet that he just rounded into the path of the ball so as to position himself to throw to first. He is probably "rocking" into the perfect position - his left leg will probably be bent and the foot will be down as he receives the ball.

That is a lot of assuming. You could be right, but that sure is an awful lot of work for a grounder to second. :wink:

ND_Sox_Fan
02-22-2005, 06:10 PM
That is a lot of assuming. You could be right, but that sure is an awful lot of work for a grounder to second. :wink:

I agree, but it's something I would expect out of my high school players ... and surely out of a major league player. The next time you watch infield - I guarantee they will all take some sort of rounded angle at the ball to get momentum going at the target and keeping it going though the throw.

Palehose13
02-22-2005, 06:11 PM
Something I would expect out of my high school players ... and surely out of a major league player. The next time you watch infield - I guarantee they will all take some sort of rounded angle at the ball to get momentum going at the target and keeping it going though the throw.

:rolleyes:

Ok boys...are we done measuring?

Ol' No. 2
02-22-2005, 06:11 PM
All I did was say something about his form in this picture. Sorry, but I coach (and played MI) and when I saw that I didn't think it was textbook. I also thought it would be good for a giggle.

That is a lot of assuming. You could be right, but that sure is an awful lot of work for a grounder to second. :wink:I had the same impression at first. He looks badly out of balance. If the ball skipped to his left he'd have no chance. But it's a moment in time. If it was hit to his left and he's moving from his right to left, he will come into balance as the ball arrives. But there's no way to know from a snapshot.

ND_Sox_Fan
02-22-2005, 06:12 PM
:rolleyes:

Ok boys...are we done measuring?

Sounds good :smile:

rdivaldi
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2005-02/16402074.jpg

Iguchi's all business in this swing....

Palehose13
I had the same impression at first. He looks badly out of balance. If the ball skipped to his left he'd have no chance. But it's a moment in time. If it was hit to his left and he's moving from his right to left, he will come into balance as the ball arrives. But there's no way to know from a snapshot.

I know. I was trying to make a funny. I didn't think it would get some panties in a bunch. But thanks for recognizing that it doesn't look perfect at that moment in time. :wink:

ND_Sox_Fan
02-22-2005, 06:15 PM
I know. I was trying to make a funny. I didn't think it would get some panties in a bunch. But thanks for recognizing that it doesn't look perfect at that moment in time. :wink:

I got the humor (sorry for not making it clear) - I don't think we will see too much of his form (good or bad) anyways.

Palehose13
02-22-2005, 06:18 PM
I got the humor (sorry for not making it clear) - I don't think we will see too much of his form (good or bad) anyways.

And that, IMO, is not such a bad thing...not that he's a bad fielder. Well, his DP's have a little to be desired, but I hope Iguchi will put up big #'s at the plate. Well, better than Wee Willie at least.

Lip Man 1
02-22-2005, 06:19 PM
Harris beats out Iguchi???

Bwa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha....

:smile:

Lip

Jjav829
02-22-2005, 06:39 PM
I think he was hoping for a bad hop so that he could deflect it up to Iguchi's head and take out the competition....:smile:

Palehose13
02-22-2005, 06:43 PM
I think he was hoping for a bad hop so that he could deflect it up to Iguchi's head and take out the competition....:smile:

:D:

OurBitchinMinny
02-22-2005, 06:44 PM
"You got to have, high hopes..."

Partial quote from a ChicagoSports.com AP article.

I would hope that would be his goal. Everyones goal should be to win a starting job. And I would hope ozzie gives him a fair look too. I know they committed more money to Iguchi, but he has never seen major league pitching day in day out. Harris should get a chance. If Harris hits .400 and Iguchi hits .050 in ST, I would hope that harris gets the opening day nod. That being said, I dont see harris beating him out, but iguchi should not just be handed the job

DumpJerry
02-22-2005, 06:46 PM
Maybe if Willie just gets in front of every ball hit to Gucci, the coaching staff will just not have enough information to go on!

Failing that, there's the Nancy Kerrigan approach Willie took on Maggs last year...
When I made my post earlier on this thread, I was going to make a teal comment about him lessening the competition for Right Field but chose not to. The reason I did not was that I think the collision was more Maggs' fault that Willie's given who was doing what at the time. It was Magg's job to call off the guy who was backing up and not able to see where he is going (Willie) since Maggs was running forward and could see (out of the corner of his eye since he was looking up at the ball) where he is headed.

What do the coaches here say?

Eflen, please don't take this as a critisicm of you, I did not find your teal to be in poor taste.

Palehose13
02-22-2005, 07:12 PM
When I made my post earlier on this thread, I was going to make a teal comment about him lessening the competition for Right Field but chose not to. The reason I did not was that I think the collision was more Maggs' fault that Willie's given who was doing what at the time. It was Magg's job to call off the guy who was backing up and not able to see where he is going (Willie) since Maggs was running forward and could see (out of the corner of his eye since he was looking up at the ball) where he is headed.

What do the coaches here say?

Eflen, please don't take this as a critisicm of you, I did not find your teal to be in poor taste.

Yes, you are correct. I've always been told that the outfielder is supposed to call the infielder off.

SomebodyToldMe
02-22-2005, 07:16 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/SavingTuesday/SOX%20icons/willieiguchi.jpg

Willie: I'm screwed.

Stroker Ace
02-22-2005, 07:29 PM
Harris hope to beat out Iguchi? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

JGarlandrules20
02-22-2005, 07:32 PM
Yes, you are correct. I've always been told that the outfielder is supposed to call the infielder off.
Yeah, the outfielder has a better view of the ball.

I play second and way too many times have I let balls drop inbetween me and an outfielder because I back off at the last second. It's an ugly mistake. :mad:

Palehose13
02-22-2005, 07:34 PM
Yeah, the outfielder has a better view of the ball.

I play second and way too many times have I let balls drop inbetween me and an outfielder because I back off at the last second. It's an ugly mistake. :mad:

And the thing that sucks is that if you weren't tenative about crashing into the Rf'er (which I did plenty of) you might have actually gotten the ball. Darn outfielders! :smile:

A. Cavatica
02-22-2005, 09:42 PM
...take some sort of rounded angle at the ball to get momentum going at the target...

See? Harris takes bad routes to balls!

CWSGuy406
02-22-2005, 11:22 PM
Harris hope to beat out Iguchi? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

And if Harris came out and said that he's letting Iguchi have the job and won't be mad about sitting on the bench, some of you would be ripping him for not being competitive and not having mental toughness.

Harris could hit hit .400 down at Tuscon, and he'd be ripped for not hitting .500...

And Palehose, definitely didn't mean to get all pissy in my previous post. I hope you didn't take it that way.

BainesHOF
02-23-2005, 02:42 AM
I guess every man has to have a dream.

balke
02-23-2005, 03:02 AM
it's funny people can have so much faith in a player they've only seen japanese highlight reels of.

I hope Iguchi is better, but Willie has the most range in the league at 2nd, and who knows if competition helps him keep from striking out. I'm looking forward to seeing who the real 2B is this spring.

nccwsfan
02-23-2005, 06:35 AM
Good for Harris- much better to be positive and say he'll work his hardest in ST than to complain and demand a trade. It's unlikely that the end result will change, but it's good to see this attitude...

DC Sox Fan
02-23-2005, 08:40 AM
I agree that it's the right attitude and thing for Willie to say. I did however have to stop laughing enough to be able to click on the link before I could open this thread.

doublem23
02-23-2005, 08:42 AM
I think the title of this article should be, Harris Hopes Iguchi Sucks, Loses Starting Position.

Fake Chet Lemon
02-23-2005, 09:07 AM
I'm having a difficult time getting a read on Ozzie's take on Willie. Ozzie appears to get STRONG feeling either way on most players. My guess is Ozzie doesn't care for him much. Can Willie become an "Ozzie-type" player? Does he work hard, is he a good clubhouse guy? Or is Ozzie keeping him around only until he finds something better for the roster? I'd like to keep Harris around for pinch running and the fact he plays outfield and infield.

LVSoxFan
02-23-2005, 10:39 AM
Willie has to prove himself, IMO. He had a maddening habit of just standing on first base (not stealing) last year which I thought was absurd. His hitting and bunting also tended to disappear.

When I heard about Iguchi I thought: perfect. It's win/win. If Harris steps it up because now he's got competition, maybe we'll see the "potential" that has yet to be unlocked fully. I believe KW said something to the same effect after signing Iguchi. And if not, then we got a better second baseman.

I'm going to dissent here and say I do think he's whining. He didn't have the kind of season last year that merits his hurt feelings.

However, I do like the idea expressed above that if Crede starts to falter, we move somebody to 3B and have both Harris and Iguchi playing infield. I am in no mood for another one of Crede's feast-or-famine seasons. Time for him to step up or ship out as well.

wdelaney72
02-23-2005, 11:31 AM
Willie's real statement is, "I hope I have an incredible spring training so the Sox trade me to a team where I'll start everyday", but that would not be received very well.

Iguchi will start, based on his salary. He'll have to REALLY suck to lose out to Willie.

Ol' No. 2
02-23-2005, 11:49 AM
Willie's real statement is, "I hope I have an incredible spring training so the Sox trade me to a team where I'll start everyday", but that would not be received very well.

Iguchi will start, based on his salary. He'll have to REALLY suck to lose out to Willie.Ding, ding. Give the man a kewpie doll.

They're not going to pay Iguchi $5M to watch from the dugout. He would have to really suck wind before he'd lose the starting job.