PDA

View Full Version : In-depth Preview of the White Sox from SI

WhiteSoxFan84
02-22-2005, 01:25 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/baseball/mlb/specials/spring_training/2005/athlon/white_sox.html

Final Analysis
Itís going to be tough for the White Sox to make a big impact without their best player, OrdoŮez. But the top-of-the-order combination of Podsednik and Rowand gives them a chance to start working pitchers and running the bases. Their pitching staff must be effective, because the Sox are not going to outslug anyone this year.

I think this is pretty true. We won't be beating anybody 14-12 this year. And for us to compete in the division, our rotation will have to be very solid and healthy.

Palehose13
02-22-2005, 01:34 PM
Middle Infield
Williams had hoped to rebuild around Omar Vizquel, but San Francisco stepped in at the last minute to sign the former Cleveland Indian. Williams figured Juan Uribe was as good as any of the other available shortstops in the White Soxís price range, so he turned the job over to him. Uribe should be fine if he doesnít gain too much weight in the offseason, which is a concern. Second baseman Willie Harris, who had a .343 on-base percentage despite being shut down by lefthanders, is still proving himself as a regular.

I guess SI didn't get the memo about Tadahito Iguchi. :rolleyes:

Baby Fisk
02-22-2005, 01:37 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/baseball/mlb/specials/spring_training/2005/athlon/white_sox.html

I think this is pretty true. We won't be beating anybody 14-12 this year. And for us to compete in the division, our rotation will have to be very solid and healthy.

Get ready for a lot of hair-raising, cliff-hanging, heart-pounding, gut-wrenching, booze-chugging, 4-2 victories this year. :thud:

mdep524
02-22-2005, 01:38 PM
That article doesn't account for the signing of Iguchi, otherwise I think it is very fair overall. National prognosticators can't imagine how the Sox can compete without Ordonez, it's the same thing the Mariners went through after losing Griffey, Unit and ARod and the Rangers went through after losing ARod. The simple logic is- if the team lost their best player, they must lose more games as a result. While I can see where they are coming from (kind of), it is just too simple of a logic, and it's not true. Both the M's and Rangers exceeded expectations big time after their so-called superstars departed, I think the Sox will be in a similar boat. That's why we have to take all these "expert" opinions with a grain of salt.

Ol' No. 2
02-22-2005, 01:39 PM
Get ready for a lot of hair-raising, cliff-hanging, heart-pounding, gut-wrenching, booze-chugging, 4-2 victories this year. :thud:Just so there are a lot of them.:D:

TimoPerez
02-22-2005, 01:41 PM
Timo Perez did a great job a year ago but could lose his spot to former first-round pick Joe Borchard, who is out of options.

Is it really a possibility that Timo won't make the team or that he will be traded?

spawn
02-22-2005, 01:44 PM
They still have Willie Harris at second instead of Iguchi, and they think Timo may lose his roster spot because Borchard is out of options, and they have Aaron in left. Otherwise, it's an ok article.

Ol' No. 2
02-22-2005, 01:47 PM
Timo Perez did a great job a year ago but could lose his spot to former first-round pick Joe Borchard, who is out of options.Sure. Have another hit.
:bong:

eriqjaffe
02-22-2005, 01:52 PM
Is it really a possibility that Timo won't make the team or that he will be traded?I find it even more frightening that they think Borchard has a shot at the 25-man roster.

SoxxoS
02-22-2005, 01:52 PM
Final Analysis
Itís going to be tough for the White Sox to make a big impact without their best player, OrdoŮez. But the top-of-the-order combination of Podsednik and Rowand gives them a chance to start working pitchers and running the bases. Their pitching staff must be effective, because the Sox are not going to outslug anyone this year.

WE DIDN'T HAVE OUR "BEST PLAYER" LAST YEAR EITHER YOU IDIOTS.

7 guys can hit more than 20 homers on this team, and that is a conservative estimate. 8 if you think Iguchi is going to make the transition:
Iguchi, Crede, Rowand, Thomas, Everett, Dye, Konerko, Uribe) what else do you want?

TimoPerez
02-22-2005, 02:05 PM
I find it even more frightening that they think Borchard has a shot at the 25-man roster.

I'm glad I'm not losing my mind. I thought Timo was a sure thing on the roster. SI should probably do a little more research.

Tekijawa
02-22-2005, 02:06 PM
7 guys can hit more than 20 homers on this team, and that is a conservative estimate. 8 if you think Iguchi is going to make the transition:
Iguchi, Crede, Rowand, Thomas, Everett, Dye, Konerko, Uribe) what else do you want?

A back up Short Stop! SO MANY HOLES SO LITTLE TIME!!! I think you might be able to At A.J. to that list too! Especially in this park!

Ol' No. 2
02-22-2005, 02:13 PM
I'm glad I'm not losing my mind. I thought Timo was a sure thing on the roster. SI should probably do a little more research.That would require...you know...work.

LVSoxFan
02-22-2005, 02:16 PM
Keep Borchard instead of Timo?

Whaaa???!!! Forget that.

Ol' No. 2
02-22-2005, 02:18 PM
I love the title of the article: "In-depth Preview of the White Sox" :rolling:

WhiteSoxFan84
02-22-2005, 02:47 PM

That's what SI had it labeled as :rolleyes:

Ol' No. 2
02-22-2005, 02:55 PM
That's what SI had it labeled as :rolleyes:He's got the Rowand in LF, Podsednik in CF and he thinks Borchard will beat Perez out of a job.:rolleyes: I wonder what a superficial preview would look like?:tongue:

champagne030
02-22-2005, 03:09 PM
He's got the Rowand in LF, Podsednik in CF and he thinks Borchard will beat Perez out of a job.:rolleyes: I wonder what a superficial preview would look like?:tongue:

well, ozzie was quoted as leaning towards rowand in left and pods in center.....he also said the winner of the iguchi/harris battle will bat #9......no, i cannot see borchard beating timo out of a job.

Ol' No. 2
02-22-2005, 03:14 PM
well, ozzie was quoted as leaning towards rowand in left and pods in center.....he also said the winner of the iguchi/harris battle will bat #9......no, i cannot see borchard beating timo out of a job.Today he said he was leaning toward keeping Rowand in CF. Don't take this stuff too seriously. He's weighing various options, as he should. But Borchard would have to hit about .400 with 8 HR in ST to even be considered for a roster spot. And even then, I doubt he'd get the job over Perez.

ja1022
02-22-2005, 03:15 PM
Quote regarding Frank Thomas:

He will be watched closely in spring training because of a stress fracture in his left foot, which wasnít operated on Oct. 6.

Well damn, that's bad news. And here everybody else is thinking they fixed that ankle.

Quote:
Ross Gload, a poor manís Mark Grace, serves as a fourth outfielder and a backup first baseman.

Huh????

Banix12
02-22-2005, 03:17 PM
If Borchard was truly out of options then I could see him making the team if he has a strong showing in spring training. I was under the understanding that he still had a minor league option, cause this was the first I heard of this.

TimoPerez
02-22-2005, 03:39 PM
That would require...you know...work.

:roflmao:I'm sorry. I forgot that published writers aren't allowed to do that. Thanks for the reminder.

DickAllen72
02-22-2005, 04:02 PM
Is it really a possibility that Timo won't make the team or that he will be traded?

Timo will make the team ahead of Borchard, but when Frank comes back, Timo won't have a spot unless someone else gets hurt, which is always a possibility.

Barring injuries, when Frank comes back as DH, Everett slides over as the fourth outfielder and that should leave Timo as the odd man out.

Ol' No. 2
02-22-2005, 04:13 PM
Timo will make the team ahead of Borchard, but when Frank comes back, Timo won't have a spot unless someone else gets hurt, which is always a possibility.

Barring injuries, when Frank comes back as DH, Everett slides over as the fourth outfielder and that should leave Timo as the odd man out.Perhaps. I think it's more likely Willie Harris will be the odd man out. He's obviously not in their long-term plans. Unless Iguchi really struggles, Harris really has no role.

TimoPerez
02-22-2005, 04:26 PM

Barring injuries, when Frank comes back as DH, Everett slides over as the fourth outfielder and that should leave Timo as the odd man out.

So what happens then? He won't get demoted, would he? More likely a trade, or like was mentioned in the post above this one, something being done with Willie Harris.

santo=dorf
02-22-2005, 04:31 PM
We won't be beating anybody 14-12 this year.

That's because our pitching staff won't give up 12 runs in a game this year. :bandance:

In Japan, Shingo Takatsuís nickname was Mr. Zero. He didnít quite live up to that in the big leagues,

God I hate the national media.

Yeah the Sox sure suffered with Shingo's 2.31 ERA. :rolleyes:

Ol' No. 2
02-22-2005, 04:45 PM
That's because our pitching staff won't give up 12 runs in a game this year. :bandance:

God I hate the national media.

Yeah the Sox sure suffered with Shingo's 2.31 ERA. :rolleyes: I'm surprised they didn't repeat the "He fell off toward the end of the year" mantra. Yeah, he sure tapered off all right. He retired a string of 28 in a row and didn't get scored on from April 20 to June 30. What was he supposed to do, get better?

Whitesox029
02-22-2005, 04:46 PM
Dustin Hermanson could move into a similar role if heís not needed in the rotation.
What is this supposed to mean? When has anyone ever said Hermanson would be considered for the rotation?

Daver
02-22-2005, 05:03 PM
If Borchard was truly out of options then I could see him making the team if he has a strong showing in spring training. I was under the understanding that he still had a minor league option, cause this was the first I heard of this.

Joe Borchard has one option year left.

MisterB
02-22-2005, 05:18 PM
He's got the Rowand in LF, Podsednik in CF and he thinks Borchard will beat Perez out of a job.:rolleyes: I wonder what a superficial preview would look like?:tongue:

"The White Sox lost Magglio Ordonez and Jose Valentin to free agency, traded Carlos Lee for nothing, and didn't add anyone of consequence in the offseason. They will duke it out with Kansas City for the bottom of the A.L. Central."

Does that sound superficial enough for the national media? :D:

Ol' No. 2
02-22-2005, 05:20 PM
"The White Sox lost Magglio Ordonez and Jose Valentin to free agency, traded Carlos Lee for nothing, and didn't add anyone of consequence in the offseason. They will duke it out with Kansas City for the bottom of the A.L. Central."

Does that sound superficial enough for the national media? :D:I think I've actually seen that somewhere.:o:

Cowhead418
02-22-2005, 06:23 PM
That article doesn't account for the signing of Iguchi, otherwise I think it is very fair overall. National prognosticators can't imagine how the Sox can compete without Ordonez, it's the same thing the Mariners went through after losing Griffey, Unit and ARod and the Rangers went through after losing ARod. The simple logic is- if the team lost their best player, they must lose more games as a result. While I can see where they are coming from (kind of), it is just too simple of a logic, and it's not true. Both the M's and Rangers exceeded expectations big time after their so-called superstars departed, I think the Sox will be in a similar boat. That's why we have to take all these "expert" opinions with a grain of salt.

Didn't the Mariners do BETTER the next season each time they lost a star player. I seem to remember them getting doing better when they got rid of RJ, Griffey and A-Rod. Hell, they won 117 games the year after they lost A-Rod. Even the Rangers did much better the year after they lost A-Rod. I hate the media. Don't forget guys, Magglio did SO MUCH for us last year that we would have only won 55 games without him. I'm just shocked that he did not win the MVP last year. I mean he had NINE homeruns!!!:o:

nccwsfan
02-22-2005, 07:51 PM
They still have Willie Harris at second instead of Iguchi, and they think Timo may lose his roster spot because Borchard is out of options, and they have Aaron in left. Otherwise, it's an ok article.

Is Borchard out of options? I remember posting about this last month and someone (?) said he might have one left (after this season). Anyone?

SOX ADDICT '73
02-22-2005, 09:23 PM
This guy makes no mention of Iguchi, but does bring up a story from mid-December about the Sox having a look at Norihiro Nakamura? I'm with the rest of you: tired of the national mediots not doing their homework.

Tragg
02-22-2005, 10:18 PM
Timo and his .280 OBP was terrible last year. At least Borchard is a young player who may, just may, prove to be better than bad.

ondafarm
02-22-2005, 10:20 PM
I don't think this guy knows a donkey from the entrance to a rabbit warren.

SoxxoS
02-22-2005, 10:23 PM
Timo and his .280 OBP was terrible last year. At least Borchard is a young player who may, just may, prove to be better than bad.

For a bench player...you know what stat is more important...RISP...

He was SO CLUTCH last year...plus he plays solid D. You need a part time player like him.

CWSGuy406
02-22-2005, 10:32 PM

Other than the Timo Perez mistake and his not considering Iguchi, I think that is probably one of the most objective articles, and actually well thought out, too, that I've seen this offseason.

For example -- he actually took the Dustin Hermanson signing into consideration, rather than throwing it off to the side, like most other writers have done this offseason. He also talked about Pierzynski solid batting average, rather than focusing on the aspect that he could be a cancer.

Overall, very good analysis, but that's JMHO. He basically says we'll go as far as our pitching staff takes us -- nothing revolutionary, but it's true nonetheless. I get the feeling he thinks we have a good shot to win the division, if our staff can hold up...

mdep524
02-23-2005, 12:39 AM
Didn't the Mariners do BETTER the next season each time they lost a star player. I seem to remember them getting doing better when they got rid of RJ, Griffey and A-Rod. Hell, they won 117 games the year after they lost A-Rod. Even the Rangers did much better the year after they lost A-Rod. I hate the media. Don't forget guys, Magglio did SO MUCH for us last year that we would have only won 55 games without him. I'm just shocked that he did not win the MVP last year. I mean he had NINE homeruns!!!:o:
Yeah, that's what I was trying to say. It's easy for those "experts" to write off a team after they lose a superstar, but that's so shortsighted. Many times the team actually does better.

wilburaga
02-23-2005, 01:14 PM
Is Borchard out of options? I remember posting about this last month and someone (?) said he might have one left (after this season). Anyone?

Borchard's options issue has been troubling me all winter but I think I finally figured it out. I had thought he was out of options but I believe I now see the error of my ways.

Each player has three years in which he can be on the 40 man roster, but not on the 25 man roster. In 2002, Joe B's contract was purchased from Charlotte in September, and he stayed with the club to the end of the season. Thus, 2002 does not count as an option year. Only 2003 and 2004 count as option years for him so, by my analysis, he should have one more.

W

Fake Chet Lemon
02-24-2005, 01:04 PM

Yes, and almost none of those same national prognosticators appear to know that last year we already basically played a season without Ordonez already

BridgePortNative
02-24-2005, 01:29 PM
This guy makes no mention of Iguchi, but does bring up a story from mid-December about the Sox having a look at Norihiro Nakamura? I'm with the rest of you: tired of the national mediots not doing their homework.

I think Nakamura went to the Padres

AZChiSoxFan
02-24-2005, 03:21 PM
SI should probably do a little more research.

Take heart, this wouldn't be the first time somebody drew that conclusion after reading an article in SI.

AZChiSoxFan
02-24-2005, 03:24 PM

Same for me. I chuckled as soon as I saw that, as I have never seen an SI preview issue that was in-depth.

SoxxoS
02-24-2005, 03:25 PM
Take heart, this wouldn't be the first time somebody drew that conclusion after reading an article in SI.

What are you talking about. SI is always right. Remember when they had the Cubs winning the W.S. last year? How about the year prior when they had Auburn to win the National Championship, who proceeded to lose 5 games?

TimoPerez
02-24-2005, 09:52 PM

The same can actually be said for many sources. It seems as if very little research is done before articles are written.

AZChiSoxFan
02-25-2005, 09:10 AM
The same can actually be said for many sources. It seems as if very little research is done before articles are written.

True, but at least the Sporting news does an entire magazine for their baseball preview. IIRC, SI usually just devotes 10-15 pages, in one of their normal issues, to previewing the season, with each team not called the Red Sox, Yankees, or Mets only getting a paragraph or two.

wdelaney72
02-25-2005, 09:45 AM
Over the weekend I read a magazine by Athlon sports previewing the 2005 season. They had the Sox at 4th place behind Minnesota, Cleveland, and Detroit.

I love what KW has done this season, and I think the Sox have a legitimate shot at winning the division. The fact is, the Twinkies have won the AL central three years ago and didn't lose a whole lot this year. They should clearly be the favorites this year.

We, on the other hand, have a completely new identity and a chance to de-throne the Twins with their own game. We have a few question marks, but we look a hell of a lot better on paper than the Tribe and the Tigers. Good God, Cleveland still looks to have a worse bullpen than the Cubs and the Tigers have ZERO starting pitching.

These writers are such dopes. I'm glad the Sox are the underdog. In the words of Lou Barnes, I'd love to give the media a big ***** burger to eat.

stillz
02-25-2005, 10:03 AM
Iguchi getting no mention should get this writer fired. Crap-ass sports journalism.

Lip Man 1
02-25-2005, 12:39 PM
Perhaps the story was done before the signing? That's the drawback to many of these magazines like Street & Smith, Athlon and even S.I. to a certain extent.

They have to be printed, distributed and marketed long before the regular season starts. You can't turn out 500,000 copies for sale nationally overnight.

It takes time. Usually the cut off point on national magazines is February 1st.

Lip

SoxxoS
02-25-2005, 12:57 PM
These writers are such dopes. I'm glad the Sox are the underdog. In the words of Lou Barnes, I'd love to give the media a big ***** burger to eat.

Lou Brown I think you are thinking of...:D:

TimoPerez
02-25-2005, 03:28 PM
True, but at least the Sporting news does an entire magazine for their baseball preview. IIRC, SI usually just devotes 10-15 pages, in one of their normal issues, to previewing the season, with each team not called the Red Sox, Yankees, or Mets only getting a paragraph or two.

Well...A lot of people may not like to hear this, but I am a Met fan, so I don't really mind that. I would much rather see every team get an equally large section, though.

Bucky F. Dent
02-25-2005, 07:20 PM
"The White Sox lost.....Jose Valentin."

Yeah, I'm still up nights worrying about the loss of Ole Jose!