PDA

View Full Version : Gosox1917's 1st annual AL predictions

Gosox1917
02-22-2005, 12:45 PM
In light of everybody making their own predictions, I thought it would be enjoyable, at least to me, to make my own predictions for the upcoming 2005 season. So, here are what I believe the standing will be at the end of September.

AL East

New York Yankees 103 59 -
Boston Red Sox 100 62 3*
Baltimore Orioles 81 81 22
Toronto Blue Jays 74 88 29
Tampa Bay Devil Rays 66 96 37

AL Central
Chicago White Sox 92 70 -
Minneosta Twins 85 77 7
Detroit Tigers 81 81 11
Cleveland Indians 80 82 12
Kansas City Royals 65 97 27

AL West
Texas Rangers 93 69 -
Oakland A's 91 71 2
Los Angeles Angels 84 78 9
Seattle Mariners 82 80 11
*Wild Card winner

I decided not to predict the playoffs since nobody ever knows what will happen anyway. Maybe I'll simulate the playoffs on MVP. I'll let you know what happens.

WhiteSoxFan84
02-22-2005, 03:50 PM
Detriot wins 81 games with no starting rotation? Amazing.
A's win 91 games with 4 new starting pitchers and Dotel as their closer? Nuts.
Angels finish in 3rd, 9 games out? Orioles finish ahead of the Blue Jays? Ooooooooook, enough beer for you.

SoxFan76
02-22-2005, 03:51 PM
Indians in FOURTH PLACE?!?!? Are you OUT OF YOUR MIND???

mikehuff
02-22-2005, 04:19 PM
The Los Angeles Angels? Oh God that sounds weird.

Gosox1917
02-22-2005, 04:51 PM
Detriot wins 81 games with no starting rotation? Amazing.
A's win 91 games with 4 new starting pitchers and Dotel as their closer? Nuts.
Angels finish in 3rd, 9 games out? Orioles finish ahead of the Blue Jays? Ooooooooook, enough beer for you.

I know I know, everyone will have a critic, but since I have a chance to defend myself I might as well.

Detroit has a starting rotation. Every team does. With that being said, Detroit's has a chance to be around .500. Johnson, Bonderman, Maroth, Robertson, and Ledezma all finished with a combined 46-54 record last year. They all are young and will improve and if Maggs is indeed healthy, that will help the offense. .500 easily within the realm of possiblity.

Ahhh, Oakland, my underdog for the year. Zito, Harden, and Haren at the top who are all good pitchers that will put up some good numbers. Joe Blanton and import Keiichi Yabu are question marks becuase they haven't proven themselves at the big league level. However, with the underrated offense they have, they will still win at least close to 90 games.

Angels will win around 84 games, probably more but I believe they'll underachieve. This division will be a dogfight and finishing third does not mean you lost a lot of games. Finley is getting old, I'm counting on McPherson to be another Joe Crede, and their DH is Casey Kotchman who had a .289 OBP last year. Colon is overrated as we know all to well and Byrd hasn't been good since that one year with the Royals. Again, I believe they will underacheive.

Orioles are better than the Blue Jays even with Spammy Soso. It really makes no difference to me since neither team will really effect the playoffs and will still be buried by New York and Boston in the end.

I'm just glad nobody has complained about the Sox winning the Central:cool:

SOXSINCE'70
02-22-2005, 05:08 PM

This is a White Sox website.Who would complain about the Sox
winning the Central?? Not me,that's for sure.:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

SoxFan76
02-22-2005, 05:56 PM
This is a White Sox website.Who would complain about the Sox
winning the Central?? Not me,that's for sure.:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

coughhomefishcough

WhiteSoxFan84
02-23-2005, 03:13 AM
I know I know, everyone will have a critic, but since I have a chance to defend myself I might as well.

Detroit has a starting rotation. Every team does. With that being said, Detroit's has a chance to be around .500. Johnson, Bonderman, Maroth, Robertson, and Ledezma all finished with a combined 46-54 record last year. They all are young and will improve and if Maggs is indeed healthy, that will help the offense. .500 easily within the realm of possiblity.

Ahhh, Oakland, my underdog for the year. Zito, Harden, and Haren at the top who are all good pitchers that will put up some good numbers. Joe Blanton and import Keiichi Yabu are question marks becuase they haven't proven themselves at the big league level. However, with the underrated offense they have, they will still win at least close to 90 games.

Angels will win around 84 games, probably more but I believe they'll underachieve. This division will be a dogfight and finishing third does not mean you lost a lot of games. Finley is getting old, I'm counting on McPherson to be another Joe Crede, and their DH is Casey Kotchman who had a .289 OBP last year. Colon is overrated as we know all to well and Byrd hasn't been good since that one year with the Royals. Again, I believe they will underacheive.

Orioles are better than the Blue Jays even with Spammy Soso. It really makes no difference to me since neither team will really effect the playoffs and will still be buried by New York and Boston in the end.

I didn't mean to attack you at all, yes everyone has a critic, and yes everyone will have their opinions. That's fine, I just wanted an explanation, I guess, and I got it. Now I can comment on your explanations...

Detroit - The Tigers offense of 2004 was a lot like that of the White Sox in 2000. A lot of players had career years and will more than likely come back to life this year. I-Rod losing weight and all the steroid talk will be something to watch. Another thing to watch is that 3 of their best hitters (I-Rodd, Maggz, and RonDL White) are all extremely injury prone. The difference between the 2004 Tigers and 2000 White Sox is that the Sox pitching staff was full of players having career years as well. Last year's Tigers didn't have career years and this years more than likely won't. Urbina will more than likely be pitching elsewhere next year (either with the Cubs, Astros, or even the Marlins).

Oakland - This maybe the only team I agree with you on. However, Dan Meyer is their projected 5th starter and he hasn't proven anything in the majors. Seth Etherton is going to get a shot to start as well, he's as unproven as Meyer. Haren is a stud in the making. Zito, enough said. Blanton I can't comment on. Harden... jury is still out. Their offense definately improved this offseason. If Dotel is their closer, all hell may break loose before we know it in that bullpen. Don't be surprised if Kiko Calero replaces Dotel as the closer (unless closing prospect Houston Streets is ready to come up to the majors). I think 82 wins is a successful campaign for the 2005 A's.

Anaheim - Angels winning anything less than 90 games next year is a lost season. Unless they still win the division somehow. They will suffer without Troy Glaus at 3rd and Jose Guillen's power, but their skipper (I won't even try to spell his name) will gain a lot more control over a chaotic clubhouse and that will make up a lot of ground. Guerrero and Anderson are studs no matter what. The rotation is solid. K-Rod as the closer should be hot. Finley in center and Cabrera at SS make this team better defensively.

Baltimore - The only reason I believe the Blue Jays will be better off then Sosa's boys is because of the rotation Toronto has. It's one of the more underrated in the game. Halladay-Lily-Batista-Bush-Towers. The back end of that rotation is one to watch. Towers may not impress too many, but Bush, man, that kid is something else. Keep an eye on him. The Orioles may be one of the top 5 offense teams in the game (Roberts/Mora/Tejada/Sosa/Palmeiro/Lopez/Bigbie/Gibbons/Matos) but when Sidney Ponson and Rodrigo Lopez are your # 1 and # 2 pitchers, trouble is near. These guys will more than likely be the 2005 version of the 2004 White Sox, with more runs scored and more runs given up. Their bullpen is solid though (I love B.J. Ryan) but their Jorge Julio may not be the great closer everyone on the Northside thinks he is.

Gosox1917
02-23-2005, 02:07 PM
I didn't mean to attack you at all, yes everyone has a critic, and yes everyone will have their opinions. That's fine, I just wanted an explanation, I guess, and I got it. Now I can comment on your explanations...

Detroit - The Tigers offense of 2004 was a lot like that of the White Sox in 2000. A lot of players had career years and will more than likely come back to life this year. I-Rod losing weight and all the steroid talk will be something to watch. Another thing to watch is that 3 of their best hitters (I-Rodd, Maggz, and RonDL White) are all extremely injury prone. The difference between the 2004 Tigers and 2000 White Sox is that the Sox pitching staff was full of players having career years as well. Last year's Tigers didn't have career years and this years more than likely won't. Urbina will more than likely be pitching elsewhere next year (either with the Cubs, Astros, or even the Marlins).

Oakland - This maybe the only team I agree with you on. However, Dan Meyer is their projected 5th starter and he hasn't proven anything in the majors. Seth Etherton is going to get a shot to start as well, he's as unproven as Meyer. Haren is a stud in the making. Zito, enough said. Blanton I can't comment on. Harden... jury is still out. Their offense definately improved this offseason. If Dotel is their closer, all hell may break loose before we know it in that bullpen. Don't be surprised if Kiko Calero replaces Dotel as the closer (unless closing prospect Houston Streets is ready to come up to the majors). I think 82 wins is a successful campaign for the 2005 A's.

Anaheim - Angels winning anything less than 90 games next year is a lost season. Unless they still win the division somehow. They will suffer without Troy Glaus at 3rd and Jose Guillen's power, but their skipper (I won't even try to spell his name) will gain a lot more control over a chaotic clubhouse and that will make up a lot of ground. Guerrero and Anderson are studs no matter what. The rotation is solid. K-Rod as the closer should be hot. Finley in center and Cabrera at SS make this team better defensively.

Baltimore - The only reason I believe the Blue Jays will be better off then Sosa's boys is because of the rotation Toronto has. It's one of the more underrated in the game. Halladay-Lily-Batista-Bush-Towers. The back end of that rotation is one to watch. Towers may not impress too many, but Bush, man, that kid is something else. Keep an eye on him. The Orioles may be one of the top 5 offense teams in the game (Roberts/Mora/Tejada/Sosa/Palmeiro/Lopez/Bigbie/Gibbons/Matos) but when Sidney Ponson and Rodrigo Lopez are your # 1 and # 2 pitchers, trouble is near. These guys will more than likely be the 2005 version of the 2004 White Sox, with more runs scored and more runs given up. Their bullpen is solid though (I love B.J. Ryan) but their Jorge Julio may not be the great closer everyone on the Northside thinks he is.

All good points. This is the great thing about the pre-season because nobody knows what will happen but it's fun to speculate and analyze. Who knows, there's a chance we'll both be wrong on everything. (Besides the Sox winning the Central). I figured you weren't attacking me and were just looking for a reason as to the reason behind my predictions. It's all good homie.

PAPChiSox729
02-25-2005, 09:55 PM
[PHP] AL East

Boston Red Sox 100 62 3*

I doubt very much that the Yankees win 100 games this year. Their rotation is aging and Wright and Pavano are unproven. Their bullpen is great, but it may wear out during the final stretch of the season. I say mark them down for 95 wins.

BridgePortNative
02-25-2005, 10:04 PM
I believe Tampa will do a lot better than last year.

AZChiSoxFan
02-28-2005, 04:25 PM
In light of everybody making their own predictions, I thought it would be enjoyable, at least to me, to make my own predictions for the upcoming 2005 season. So, here are what I believe the standing will be at the end of September.

AL East

Boston Red Sox 100 62 3*

AL Central
Chicago White Sox 92 70 -
Minneosta Twins 85 77 7
Detroit Tigers 81 81 11
Cleveland Indians 80 82 12
Kansas City Royals 65 97 27

AL West
Texas Rangers 93 69 -
Oakland A's 91 71 2
Los Angeles Angels 84 78 9
Seattle Mariners 82 80 11
*Wild Card winner

I decided not to predict the playoffs since nobody ever knows what will happen anyway. Maybe I'll simulate the playoffs on MVP. I'll let you know what happens.

:boston Nice predictions, but hey, who are all those teams you listed? I thought there were only 2 teams in the AL????