PDA

View Full Version : Everett not the only player to lose weight

Jabroni
02-22-2005, 12:19 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20050221&content_id=947242&vkey=spt2005news&fext=.jspSchneider has talked to Thomas and relayed to the media that Thomas is in very good spirits. It's the same report provided by Aaron Rowand, whose personal trainer, Tim Soder, is supervising Thomas' rehab in Las Vegas, and Mark Buehrle, who ran into Thomas during the offseason. Schneider also mentioned that Thomas has dropped weight since the injury took place, although he was a bit vague as to what that total might be.

SOXintheBURGH
02-22-2005, 12:27 PM
:moron

I TAKE IT ALL BACK!

voodoochile
02-22-2005, 12:52 PM
Excellent news. Lower weight will reduce strain on his legs. Go on and get thinner, Big Man...

Jabroni
02-22-2005, 12:53 PM
Excellent news. Lower weight will reduce strain on his legs. Go on and get thinner, Big Man...Frank must finally be off the roids.

voodoochile
02-22-2005, 12:54 PM
Frank must finally be off the roids.

More likely he got off the beer...

Jjav829
02-22-2005, 12:55 PM
How the hell did he lose weight? Hasn't he had to keep weight off that ankle for a while now? I can't imagine he did much cardio. Unless by "lose weight" they mean like 2 pounds. :?:

It must have been all that fast food he stopped eating.

voodoochile
02-22-2005, 12:59 PM
How the hell did he lose weight? Hasn't he had to keep weight off that ankle for a while now? I can't imagine he did much cardio. Unless by "lose weight" they mean like 2 pounds. :?:

You've never heard of low-impact aerobics?

One way is to swim or do aerobic exercises in a pool where very little stress is created.

Jjav829
02-22-2005, 01:02 PM

One way is to swim or do aerobic exercises in a pool where very little stress is created.

I don't know, but that would still seem too stressful. What do I know, I'm not a doctor. Maybe beckett can answer this, but it just seems like with an injury like that he should not be putting impact on that ankle at all. He's also had a cast on, so just how much swimming can he really do?

iwcup
02-22-2005, 01:02 PM

pool/water workouts, the bike would be low to now impact on the ankle, working out using low weight and high reps will burn calories without adding too much to the weight...

of course..eating right, stop drinking etc, you know all the things we dont do would help as well.

Palehose13
02-22-2005, 01:09 PM
I lost a 12 lbs last month not exercising. I just ate healthy and cut out fast food, pop, and other unhealthy habits (except drinking...that I cut down, but not out). Now I started exercising this month and I haven't lost a pound, but my clothes are fitting better. I expect to have another huge drop in weight after I get off my plateau.

So...I guess my point was that you can lose weight without exercising.

Iwritecode
02-22-2005, 01:19 PM
It's possible that he stayed in shape by eating right and doing the low-impact exercises but with not being able to lift weights would that cause him to loose some muscle?

ja1022
02-22-2005, 01:28 PM
Could be he's cutting back on the Vegas buffets, or maybe it's the Adkins diet and lower carb beer. Or maybe the big guy just has a chip on his shoulder and something to prove, and he just wants to come back healthier, and leaner and meaner. Either way, it sounds good to me.

Ol' No. 2
02-22-2005, 01:31 PM

One way is to swim or do aerobic exercises in a pool where very little stress is created.Swimming might not be such a good idea with a big cast on your ankle.:tongue:

daveeym
02-22-2005, 01:32 PM
Damn, I think it's called the cybex, but it's basically a stationary bike for the upper arms and can be used to apply range of motion resistance to all limbs as well. Generally used for rehabilitation but often used for conditioning as well when someone can't use their legs as in franks case. Gives one hell of a workout that's for damn sure. There are plenty of ways and machines that frank could have been doing. And as palehose and others said he probably dieted. I'm sure part of his diagnosis and rehab was "Frank, gotta get your weight down or the ankle will never survive, rice cakes and tofu for you."

voodoochile
02-22-2005, 02:24 PM
I lost a 12 lbs last month not exercising. I just ate healthy and cut out fast food, pop, and other unhealthy habits (except drinking...that I cut down, but not out). Now I started exercising this month and I haven't lost a pound, but my clothes are fitting better. I expect to have another huge drop in weight after I get off my plateau.

So...I guess my point was that you can lose weight without exercising.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings...

Everyone loses weight quickly the first 3-4 weeks of a new diet. After that the body adjusts to the lower calorie intake and slows down the metabolism. If you want to keep the weight loss rate high, you have to add exercise to the regime. Of course since you are now a professional football player, that will be expected.

You can continue to lose weight strictly by reducing calories, but the rate will probably drop to .5-1#/week not the 3-4 you have been experiencing. Of course larger fatter people will see more dramatic weight loss early on - up to 10#/week.

voodoochile
02-22-2005, 02:26 PM
Swimming might not be such a good idea with a big cast on your ankle.:tongue:

They make waterproof casts and you can add a float to prevent the leg from dragging you under in the deep end.

Palehose13
02-22-2005, 02:30 PM

Everyone loses weight quickly the first 3-4 weeks of a new diet. After that the body adjusts to the lower calorie intake and slows down the metabolism. If you want to keep the weight loss rate high, you have to add exercise to the regime. Of course since you are now a professional football player, that will be expected.

You can continue to lose weight strictly by reducing calories, but the rate will probably drop to .5-1#/week not the 3-4 you have been experiencing. Of course larger fatter people will see more dramatic weight loss early on - up to 10#/week.

You're not. I know that I have plateaued and not letting that frustrate me. With football I am now exercising more than I have in years. I expect to be much thinner for Opening Day than I was at SoxFest. :wink:

I was just saying that it was possible to lose weight without exercise. It isn't as successful, but it can be done.

The Racehorse
02-22-2005, 04:34 PM
More likely he got off the beer...

... I wish I resembled that remark... :)

RedPinStripes
02-22-2005, 07:22 PM

Measuring weight loss by scale is the most frustrating and inaccurate way to go by. I've learned that the hard way. Muscle weighs more then fat, and the more muscle you build, the more fat you burn.

I weigh only 5 lbs less then i did a month and a half ago, but I've gotten stronger and lost 2" off the waist. Body fat % is the way to go. You can get a kit to measure that way, but it's a lot easier to go to bally's and do it digitally.

Palehose13
02-22-2005, 07:25 PM
Measuring weight loss by scale is the most frustrating and inaccurate way to go by. I've learned that the hard way. Muscle weighs more then fat...

Don't you mean it's more dense than fat? :wink:

Just being a smartass. I know what you mean and agree with you.

Daver
02-22-2005, 07:28 PM
My HS baseball uniform still fits the same as it did when it was assigned to me.

:redneck

Stroker Ace
02-22-2005, 07:28 PM
Big Frank needed to drop a few lbs. He just decided to do it at the wrong time

voodoochile
02-22-2005, 07:31 PM
Measuring weight loss by scale is the most frustrating and inaccurate way to go by. I've learned that the hard way. Muscle weighs more then fat, and the more muscle you build, the more fat you burn.

I weigh only 5 lbs less then i did a month and a half ago, but I've gotten stronger and lost 2" off the waist. Body fat % is the way to go. You can get a kit to measure that way, but it's a lot easier to go to bally's and do it digitally.'

Or take of your shirt once a week and check yourself in the mirror.

I don't own a scale. You want to get stronger and lose weight, throw yours out. Plateaus sucks and everyone gets them.

Palehose13
02-22-2005, 07:32 PM
My HS baseball uniform still fits the same as it did when it was assigned to me.

Wow. That must have been swimming on you in high school! :smile:

voodoochile
02-22-2005, 07:32 PM

Skinny people suck...:wink:

Daver
02-22-2005, 07:34 PM
Skinny people suck...:wink:

Jealous bastard.

:)

voodoochile
02-22-2005, 07:39 PM
Jealous bastard.

:)

What's your point? I'm working on it, I just don't think I'll ever be "thin" I just hope to be in better shape and get stronger. I'll probably always have love handles at the least. I just hope to make them smaller handles.

gobears1987
02-22-2005, 08:11 PM

Unfortunatly, it is likely a loss in muscle mass due to a lack of activity.

shoota
02-22-2005, 09:38 PM
Unfortunatly, it is likely a loss in muscle mass due to a lack of activity.

Summer of George.

RedPinStripes
02-22-2005, 10:14 PM
'

Or take of your shirt once a week and check yourself in the mirror.

I don't own a scale. You want to get stronger and lose weight, throw yours out. Plateaus sucks and everyone gets them.

I dont own one. I used to get on the scale at the gym once a week. My buddy is a personal trainer. His exact words. "If i see you step on that scale within the next 3 months, I'll kick you in the balls when you're doing crunches. "

You 'll know when you're making progress. You're new line of cloths will remind you.