PDA

View Full Version : There ARE holes

comiskey2000
02-21-2005, 10:25 PM
I am just as excited as the next guy about the '05 Sox, but saying there are not holes might be taking it too far. Isin't anyone just a little worried that the infield, especially the left side is weak. I mean with Uribe as SS, there really is no backup. Kenny needs to get on the horn.

JKryl
02-21-2005, 10:27 PM
There are always holes, that's what makes it interesting. The good teams work around their short comings. Hopefully, that's what will happen here.

soltrain21
02-21-2005, 10:30 PM
Every team has holes and questions at the beginning of the season.

Cubbiesuck13
02-21-2005, 11:02 PM
I am excited about having a more balanced team. That means filling holes will be easier mid season. If the rotation does well then we should be ok regardless if Creded hits .260 or .280. However, if we have a pitcher not do well for a while we will need our offense to pick up some slack so picking up a good hitting 3b or getting a lead off man if Pods doesn't get the job done will be crucial.

SOX ADDICT '73
02-21-2005, 11:03 PM
How many teams can boast that their only hole is a backup at a position? I think most teams are just one or two injuries away from being in real trouble. If these guys can stay healthy, I like our chances against anyone.

soxfan123
02-21-2005, 11:04 PM
To go along with the "questions needing to be answered", the most important question mark is the efficiency of our leadoff hitter, Scott Podsednik. I recall when Kenny Lofton was hitting well with Ray Durham that we were one of the best teams in the league. If that works out, it seems that our problems are decreased dramatically.

To go with your specific question, Crede has one of the better gloves on our team, and Uribe has a cannon. I am comfortable with moving the Guch to SS and having willie play 2b if need be. We are a strong enough team to work around that.

RDubbs1906
02-22-2005, 12:20 AM
I am just as excited as the next guy about the '05 Sox, but saying there are not holes might be taking it too far. Isin't anyone just a little worried that the infield, especially the left side is weak. I mean with Uribe as SS, there really is no backup. Kenny needs to get on the horn.

Uribe is solid. I'd say (in Defense) there is NO worries on the left side. Both Uribe and Crede have proven themselves. Iguchi is the only infielder that needs to prove himself. If you're talking about offense, then Crede is the hole on the left side. He is probably going hit in the 9 hole, and I like his potential there. So, I am very excited. I agree Kenny needs to get a back up infielder that can play the left side to give those guys some days off. If he doesn't bring one in, I am pretty happy with Valdez. I wish we still had Graff!

munchman33
02-22-2005, 11:16 AM

A sky is falling thread started by a noob about our season being ruined by not having an adequate backup to a healthy player.

Why hasn't this made its way to the roadhouse yet?

Baby Fisk
02-22-2005, 11:27 AM
A sky is falling thread started by a noob about our season being ruined by not having an adequate backup to a healthy player.

Part of this thread probably will.

Jabroni
02-22-2005, 11:33 AM
Doesn't anyone think that it's quite impressive that our only true hole is a backup SS? I'm still hoping the KW trades for Alex Cintron of the D-backs.

mdep524
02-22-2005, 01:52 PM

This isn't really a "sky is falling" thread- I mean, the guy didn't come off as a tactless alarmist like some other trolls have, so I think its a legitimate thread. Still, I agree with you munch (and everyone else) that having "utility infielder" as one of our biggest holes is actually a good sign.

LVSoxFan
02-22-2005, 03:25 PM
I'm comfortable with Valdez as backup; he played well last year. I think I even saw him hit his first homer.

bigdommer
02-22-2005, 09:37 PM
Biggest holes (IMHO):

1) Middle of the order: Until a healthy Hurt comes back, Dye and Everett have to stay healthy to protect Pauly and drive in runs. I also don't know what to expect from Rowand. New contract, new leadership role...a lot of people are counting on him to be .300-25-100.

2) Shortstop: I love Uribe, but it's a new position and he is expected to play every day and be a factor. Last year nothing was expected of him...he was the utility guy.

Other than that, I am not too worried. 3B doesn't concern me, because we know that Crede will play great D and hit 20 HRs from the 8/9 spot in the order. Pods may repeat last year, but it's better than Willie would have provided.

I am concerned about injuries(Hurt/Dye/Carl) and slumps, that's it.

MRKARNO
02-22-2005, 09:54 PM
1) a lot of people are counting on[Rowand] to be .300-25-100.

Well he hit .310-24-69 in 487 at bats last year! No wonder people are expecting that. I would expect more from him personally, closer to .320 to .330 batting average, 30+ HRs and at least 100 RBIs batting where I think he will be by the end of the year (3, 4 or 5). It wouldnt even be a big jump for him to go to that level, especially if he gets 550-600 at bats.

SOX ADDICT '73
02-22-2005, 10:48 PM
Shortstop: I love Uribe, but it's a new position
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't shortstop Uribe's natural position? That might explain why he almost threw the ball through PK the few times he spelled Crede at 3B last year.

MRKARNO
02-22-2005, 11:15 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't shortstop Uribe's natural position? That might explain why he almost threw the ball through PK the few times he spelled Crede at 3B last year.

You would be correct in that.

PAPChiSox729
02-22-2005, 11:17 PM

Well all teams have holes. Even the Yankees, Red Sox, and Twinkies have holes. Look at Minnesota for instance, they lost both of their starters on the left side of the infield last year. The Yankees' rotation is old. The Red Sox rotation is very good, but it isn't perfect either. I'm not saying the White Sox are in the elite class of the AL, but we should be able to compete against them.

RDubbs1906
02-23-2005, 01:01 PM
[QUOTE=bigdommer]Biggest holes (IMHO):

2) Shortstop: I love Uribe, but it's a new position and he is expected to play every day and be a factor. Last year nothing was expected of him...he was the utility guy.

Uribe was the Everyday SS for the Rockies. This is nothing new for him. He was brought here last year to take over the job this year. Maybe a utility guy last year, but that wasn't the long term goal.

I have no doubt that Uribe is an upgrade at SS this year.

MUsoxfan
02-23-2005, 01:06 PM
The Yankees' rotation is old.

The Yanks have more problems than that. They have a gaping hole at 2B in a less than fantastic Tony Womack. They have an aging CF that is on his last legs. They have an even more prehistoric DH in Ruben Sierra, and a freshly de-juiced Jason Giambi at 1B. I don't think I'd be out of line with saying that the White Sox are a more complete team than even the Yankees.

tstrike2000
02-24-2005, 12:11 AM
We've finished in 2nd place the last few years to a team that has had holes because of injuries and what not. So sure, there's holes like any team but just depends the pitchers obviously and team chemistry.

DaleJRFan
02-24-2005, 01:51 AM
That might explain why he almost threw the ball through PK the few times he spelled Crede at 3B last year.

..then move Juan to the bullpen....

bigdommer
02-24-2005, 07:21 PM

It is, but my point was that he did not play there regularly last year.

bigdommer
02-24-2005, 07:24 PM
Well he hit .310-24-69 in 487 at bats last year! No wonder people are expecting that. I would expect more from him personally, closer to .320 to .330 batting average, 30+ HRs and at least 100 RBIs batting where I think he will be by the end of the year (3, 4 or 5). It wouldnt even be a big jump for him to go to that level, especially if he gets 550-600 at bats.

I would just like to see him put together an entire season at that level. Trust me, I think he can and I hope he does. Still a question mark.

Vernam
02-26-2005, 12:00 PM

Okay, so I guess that disproves the hypothesis that expectations for Rowand are unrealistically high. :wink: Seriously, though, I agree that his numbers could actually go up, batting in the middle of the order. The guys batting "in front" of him last year (7, 8, 9 slots) must've had an OBP of .210.

I basically agree with Bigdommer's list of concerns but would add that the closer spot could still haunt them. We're all still so relieved that the Koch nightmare is over, it's easy to overlook Shingo's lack of experience and possible short shelf life. I love watching the guy pitch, but there's a reason you'd have to go back to Hoyt Wilhelm to find a top closer who relied on a trick pitch. Hitters tend to figure them out unless the pitch is HoF-quality like the Good Doctor's was. I hope Shingo can keep fooling the league, because it's a blast to watch.

Finally ordered my Ozzie package yesterday -- kept putting it off, though the benefit to that is that I got to pick the first return visits by Maggs and Sam the Sham. Hopefully the box office won't seat me in the rafters (though I'm still excited we even have rafters again!)

VC

ondafarm
02-26-2005, 12:27 PM

I predict that by the end of the season, Wilson Valdez will be the starting shortstop and Uribe probably will be getting significant time at third.

Bucky F. Dent
02-26-2005, 12:46 PM
To go along with the "questions needing to be answered", the most important question mark is the efficiency of our leadoff hitter, Scott Podsednik. I recall when Kenny Lofton was hitting well with Ray Durham that we were one of the best teams in the league. If that works out, it seems that our problems are decreased dramatically.

Agreed,

I'm as concerned with the three and four spots in the rotation as anyone, but the story that is lurking out there is the fact that, with the exception of his stolen bases, Pods saw a real drop in his offensive numbers last year. So a question to be answered is whether he will have success at the top of the lineup.

Bucky F. Dent
02-26-2005, 12:49 PM
natural position?

My natural position is about fifteen rows up behind the third base bag with a beer in one hand, and a brat in the other.