PDA

View Full Version : Phil Rogers Column says Selig Getting Bad Rap

Hangar18
02-21-2005, 02:37 PM
I tend to like what Phil Rogers has to say ............... But this article was
Bogus. There were so many points that I disagreed with, It took me
well over an hour to finish his piece. He comments on the "popular" rumors, (which im sure he got some here) such as "baseball turning a blind eye" to the apparant steroid use in 98 because the Home Run Race "Saved Baseball".
PRogers goes thru great pains to tell us that Baseball didnt need "Saving",
that attendance was up. 1st, there were more teams, so there were inevitably going to be more FANS. 2nd, Where did the "Sammy and Mark Saved Baseball" BS come from? THE CHICAGO/NATIONAL MEDIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!
now they want to say they had nothing to do with it? BS.

The article tries to paint the uproar (and I note the subsequent MLB downplaying) as a Fan Witchhunt, and that everyone was in a "rush
to Judgement".

Anyone who has been following these boards, knows how INCENSED I get
every time the Cubune, Mike Kiley and every other jackass who keeps heralding and crediting SAMMY for "Saving" baseball. I said it the whole time ......
How is baseball being "Saved", when the Pirates are Giving away their players?

An ANONYMOUS MLB Exec says that Selig was going to use his "Best INterests" clause had the Union not signed off on some more stringent Testing Policies, and that Selig has been lobbying for better controls for years.

Thats a bunch of BULL JUNK.

If thats how MLB and Bud Selig felt, why wasnt this mentioned back then? and only JUST NOW being "leaked" to the media? Because the Morons running the game, notably
the Master of Puppets and our very own Uncle Jerry himself didnt care as much back in the 90's.

This was a short-sighted cover up that blew up in their faces. Much
like Expanding 4 more teams was a horrible idea. Selig and the MLB
will get "Credit" soon enough for the Hoopla and Hysteria once DC starts
playing, but lets remember, they still have NO OWNER, and it was
their Tomfoolery that caused the Expos to flounder in the first place.

Lip Man 1
02-21-2005, 07:39 PM
Can you provide a link?

Lip

Daver
02-21-2005, 07:50 PM
Hangar, either it is time to change the tinfoil or sort out your facts, you decide which one.

RKMeibalane
02-21-2005, 07:53 PM
Hangar, either it is time to change the tinfoil or sort out your facts, you decide which one.

LOL!

Ol' No. 2
02-21-2005, 09:19 PM
Can you provide a link?

LipJudge for yourself. Linky (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-0502200534feb20,1,3404419.column?coll=cs-columnists-navigation)