PDA

View Full Version : Crede's Swing...

Wanne
02-21-2005, 01:56 PM
Here's what I was talking about in the thread yesterday about Crede swinging from his heels...and there's a story today about it. Glad to see that somebody's FINALLY trying to get him to change.

Here's a few excerpts from it and the link to the article in case you haven't read it.

Sox hitting coach Greg Walker said Crede has been able to produce what he has despite having a "flawed" swing.

Walker said Crede's swing planeŚthe amount of time the bat stays in the hitting zoneŚwas such that Crede's timing had to be perfect.

"If you have a good swing plane, you can make adjustments on certain pitches," Walker said. "If you have a bad swing plane, you are vulnerable to certain pitches."

Walker said Crede was vulnerable to certain pitches because his swing had an uphill plane and came out of the hitting zone too soon.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050220sox,1,3985326.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Jabroni
02-21-2005, 02:06 PM
I'm going to be cautiously optimistic about Crede and hope for the best. Our lineup could be alot better with Crede putting up .280 AVG / 25 HR / 80 RBI in the 8th or 9th spot.

BRDSR
02-21-2005, 09:46 PM
I'm going to be cautiously optimistic about Crede and hope for the best. Our lineup could be alot better with Crede putting up .280 AVG / 25 HR / 80 RBI in the 8th or 9th spot.

If Crede's average gets up to .280 I will consider that a great sign, but if it does you may not want to expect 25 homers. If his average goes up drastically it will be because his swing levels out, which should result in no more than the same number of homers. The way his swing was last season, he would rarely connect but when he did he really got a hold of it. If his swing levels out we should expect more frozen ropes to the gaps and hard ground balls, but probably not many more home runs. I would definitely be fine with that.

Daver
02-21-2005, 09:51 PM
Joe Crede is one of the few players that IMO would benefit from the teachings of Walt Hriniak, his natural swing tends toward what Walt teaches. I have little confidence in Greg Walker ever doing much to improve him as a hitter.

la chispa
02-21-2005, 10:03 PM
Don't ask me why, but I am expecting a decent season from Crede. I'm looking for a .270-.280 BA, 22-27 HR's, and 80-95 RBI. I guess it's time for me to put down the pipe.:angry:

Infallible
02-21-2005, 10:19 PM
If Crede hits for .280 the Cubs will win the Series......

shoota
02-21-2005, 10:39 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050220sox,1,3985326.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

I thought the title was the best part of the article: Crede's Plane Bad
:D::gulp:

Ol' No. 2
02-22-2005, 09:15 AM
Joe Crede is one of the few players that IMO would benefit from the teachings of Walt Hriniak, his natural swing tends toward what Walt teaches. I have little confidence in Greg Walker ever doing much to improve him as a hitter.Walker is a Charley Lau disciple. I always thought Hriniak and Lau were pretty close. Didn't Hriniak adapt his approach from Lau?

Kuzman
02-22-2005, 10:16 AM

i wouldn't go that far, he is very capable of going .280

Tekijawa
02-22-2005, 10:36 AM

If Crede hits .280... the Cubs would have to beat US in the World Series for this to happen! I don't think that they have the line up or the Bullpen to do this.

Infallible
02-22-2005, 03:04 PM
.280 for the season? If he achieves that I'll take back every unkind word I've ever said about the guy. Cripes I'll even put his picture under my signature.....I doubt it though....HIGHLY

Wanne
02-23-2005, 03:19 AM
Walker is a Charley Lau disciple. I always thought Hriniak and Lau were pretty close. Didn't Hriniak adapt his approach from Lau?

Well...I know Frank wouldn't mind if Hriniak was still around. It just seems to me that there "techniques" are a little different. Seems like Lau's style had more weight on the back foot. I remember that 83 team...seems like pretty much everybody had the same batting stance. Hriniak did take alot of his philosophies from Lau.

DaleJRFan
02-24-2005, 10:00 AM
it looks good to me... check the picture... (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/apphoto/photo?photoId=688890&sportId=10) The angle of his right arm would indicate a flat swing plane, and where is right elbow is in relation to his spine angle suggests he is taking the ball to right field (no way!!!)... so let's hope he is headed in the right direction.

But the caption reads White Sox Outfielder Joe Crede?? I guess the national media really does ignore the Sox. What a shame.