PDA

View Full Version : The One Sox Player You Wish You Could Have Seen.

mikehuff
02-21-2005, 02:50 PM
Depending on when you were born, the answers to this will vary.

One player I wish I could have seen would be Nellie Fox. He's exactly what I want out of a baseball player. I just saw this stat as "Ol No. 2"'s signature...
19 seasons, 9232 AB, 216 SO

Unbelievable, what else do you want out of a player?

Wanne
02-21-2005, 02:58 PM
I would have liked to have seen Shoeless Joe... but then again that would make me about 120-some years old.

MRKARNO
02-21-2005, 02:59 PM
Ed Walsh, the lowest career ERA of any pitcher in the history of baseball. In particular I would have liked to seen the game he pitched against Addie Joss where Joss was perfect and Walsh was near perfect with 15 K's or the shutout against the Cubs in game three of the 1906 World Series. http://www.baseballlibrary.com/baseballlibrary/ballplayers/W/Walsh_Ed.stm
http://www.baseball-reference.com/w/walshed01.shtml

Flight #24
02-21-2005, 02:59 PM
Depending on when you were born, the answers to this will vary.

One player I wish I could have seen would be Nellie Fox. He's exactly what I want out of a baseball player. I just saw this stat as "Ol No. 2"'s signature...
19 seasons, 9232 AB, 216 SO

Unbelievable, what else do you want out of a player?

Bah. That's piddly crap. Where are the massive solo HRs in the bottom of the 9th with the team ahead or behind by 5? The cutesy heart taps & kisses that shout out "I'm a professional"? The hops that tell the opponents "I respect you"?

Baby Fisk
02-21-2005, 03:03 PM
Don't know if this counts, but I'd like to have had a few urgent words with whomever the ringleader of the 1919 team was.

TommyJohn
02-21-2005, 03:03 PM
Nellie Fox. I like reading about him, being a little guy myself. I think he
personifies the White Sox of that or any era: undersized, undertalented,
but filled with a burning desire and drive that wouldn't quit and made him
of the elite players of his time. He was always picking himself up and going
back to play even after being knocked down by some big galoofus jamoke
like Hank Bauer or Bob Cerv. If I had ever played baseball, he is the guy I
would have emulated.

Foulke You
02-21-2005, 03:05 PM
This is a tough question but I've always liked good pitchers and I've heard tons of stories about the great Billy Pierce. I would have liked to have been around when he pitched some of those heated games against the Yankees in the '50s and '60s.

Honorable mention goes to Nellie Fox and Shoeless Joe Jackson.

Palehose13
02-21-2005, 03:05 PM
Luis Aparicio. I gotta thing for Venezulan shortstops. :wink:

Sad
02-21-2005, 03:08 PM
ditto for Aparicio...

I remember my great-uncles talking about what a good player he was...

CleeFan101
02-21-2005, 03:14 PM
minnie minoso

chisox06
02-21-2005, 03:24 PM
Earl Torgeson what a beast! Honestly though, I would go with Nellie Fox.

Chrisaway
02-21-2005, 03:25 PM
Nellie Fox
Dick Allen
Luis Aparicio
(i guess there not just ONE person I wanted to see)

02-21-2005, 03:32 PM
I'm going to take crap for this one, but hear me out....I wish I could have seen Sammy Sosa play for us like he did for the Cubs...I was happy when we got George Bell for him....500 home runs later....

Johnny Mostil
02-21-2005, 03:37 PM
See my handle. I've always been impressed by the accounts of his catching a foul out while playing center field.

mweflen
02-21-2005, 03:41 PM
Ol' Aches 'n Pains

Medford Bobby
02-21-2005, 03:49 PM
:D: I think watching Luke Appling play would have been special. He's the one bright star for those "dead" Sox years between the Black Sox era and to the Go GO Sox era. Played hard and "hurt" in everygame........he could play for any Sox team this century:cool: :appling

Bucky F. Dent
02-21-2005, 04:04 PM
Absolutely, Shoeless Joe Jackson!

mikehuff
02-21-2005, 04:11 PM
Ol' Aches 'n Pains
http://www.geocities.com/matthewweflen/embarass11a.jpg

Holy crap, I have that old Sox schedule!
1985, I think?

zach074
02-21-2005, 04:12 PM
Dick Allen and Luis Aparicio
:cool:

Wsoxmike59
02-21-2005, 04:50 PM
I was born in '59, and I regaled in the tales my Father would tell me about the Go-Go Sox and all the Bridesmaid finishes during the 1950's and early 60's. But for one shining moment they broke through to win the pennant in '59. My father was born in Dec. of 1916 and was alive during the 1917 and 1919 seasons but had no recollection of either season. He was 42 years old in 1959 when the Sox won the Pennant. I've been waiting for that moment all my life too. (Sorry for the Phil Collins impersonation) But here are some of the players my old man told me about that I wished I could've seen play.

1) Luke Appling (Best pure hitter the Sox had)
2) Nellie Fox (Dad's Favorite!)

3) Shoeless Joe (The Sox' most tragic figure/hero)

4) Billy Pierce (Mainstay of the Go-Go Staff - Tough Luck pitcher, was on the short end of many a 2-1 and 1-0 games....dad said if he'd pitched on the Yankees he would've been Whitey Ford)

5) Monty Stratton (A promising future dashed in a tragic hunting accident)

6) Jim Landis (Dad's fav CF'er, said Landis could really cover the ground in the spacious environs of Comiskey Park and Yankee Stadium. He said Landis' defense saved the Sox so many runs it didn't matter what he hit.

7) Ted Lyons - The Baylor Bearcat. The best pitcher in franchise history, he probably would've won 300 games had he pitched on a 1st division ballclub.

8) Minnie Minoso - Exciting ballplayer who most epitomized the Go-Go Sox era... could hit for average-power-RBI's and he could also steal a base and he'd often lead the league in HBP. Irony is he wasn't here for the 1959 season!!

9) Sherm Lollar - Hard working Catcher, tireless behind the plate a real iron-man.

10) Ed Walsh - Dominating Pitcher in the dead ball era. He would've been fun to watch.

santo=dorf
02-21-2005, 04:59 PM
Don't know if this counts, but I'd like to have had a few urgent words with whomever the ringleader of the 1919 team was.
Chick Gandil

As for my pick, I would go with Dick Allen.

Jjav829
02-21-2005, 05:01 PM
Jeremy Reed. :whiner:

I gotta go with Shoeless Joe, as well.

soxfan26
02-21-2005, 05:01 PM
I couldn't pick just one...

Aparicio & Fox

spawn
02-21-2005, 05:03 PM
Nellie Fox
Luis Aparicio
Dick Allen

Gosox1917
02-21-2005, 05:05 PM
Shoeless Joe Jackson and the rest of the 1917 team that last brought a championship to the city of Chicago.

MINFAN1
02-21-2005, 05:43 PM
I am happy to say, I did get to see the great Nellie Fox play many times. With a man on, in the last of the ninth, and the game on the line. There is no other player in this game, that you would want to be there. On the field he was not the physical athlete of todays standards. But, he knew how, and where to play the hitters. A little guy with a big chew of tobbacco, and a great fan favorite of the time. Add little Looie (Aparichio) and you got a great combo up the middle. I would of liked to see Luke Appling, and the great Shoeless Joe.

SouthSideSid
02-21-2005, 05:59 PM
I wish I had been to a game during the '77 season to see that team. I spent all summer watching Zisk, Gamble and Lemon take care of business on the old channel 44 with Harry and Jimmy doing the games. How can you not be a freaking fan for life after that?

BigEdWalsh
02-21-2005, 06:26 PM
Wow. This thread is making me feel old. Feeling pretty good about the fact that I've been able to see Aparicio, Fox Pierce, Landis, Lollar, Allen, etc., etc.
I would love to have seen Ed Walsh, to have been there to see the 1906 World Series.

Big Ed's line against the Cubs in the series:
Year Round Tm Opp WLser G GS ERA W-L SV CG SHO IP H ER BB SO
+------------------+-----+--+--+------+-----+--+--+---+-----+---+---+---+---+
1906 WS (http://www.baseball-reference.com/postseason/1906_WS.shtml) CHW (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/1906.shtml) CHC (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHC/1906.shtml) W 2 2 0.60 2-0 0 1 1 15 7 1 6 17
+------------------+-----+--+--+------+-----+--+--+---+-----+---+---+---

I would have loved to teach the crowd how to do the wave!

Edit: Sorry, can't seem to make those stats line up right.

PaleHoseGeorge
02-21-2005, 06:29 PM
Here's another vote for Luke Appling.

And since we're granting wishes, I want my tickets for seeing Appling to be a Sunday home doubleheader. That way I get to see Ted Lyons on the bump, too.

:redneck

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-21-2005, 06:32 PM
Ed Walsh. He dominated the cubs in the world series and won 40 games in a season! :o:

Ol' No. 2
02-21-2005, 06:36 PM
I think I'd like to have seen Minoso in his prime. He was beginning to fade by the late 50's when I remember him.

CleeFan101
02-21-2005, 06:38 PM
ill say one thing though if this was 20 years later and i hadnt seen him now it would be Frank Thomas without a doubt :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

Paulwny
02-21-2005, 06:46 PM
Although he only played 3 yrs with the sox, my father claimed that until Williams came on the scene , Al Simmons was the best hitter in the game. He's my choice.

PaleHoseGeorge
02-21-2005, 06:46 PM
ill say one thing though if this was 20 years later and i hadnt seen him now it would be Frank Thomas without a doubt

Good point. My kids are just old enough to remember this sort of stuff. Their dad will be noting for them how important it is to watch #35 this summer at the ballpark. We have an idiot for a GM who thinks Ross Gload is a suitable replacement, $3.5 million flushed down the toilet be damned.
:mad:

:KW
"It's amazing how stupid a GM can be, ain't it?"

:dumbash
"I'm here to testify!"

santo=dorf
02-21-2005, 06:57 PM
Good point. My kids are just old enough to remember this sort of stuff. Their dad will be noting for them how important it is to watch #35 this summer at the ballpark. We have an idiot for a GM who thinks Ross Gload is a suitable replacement, $3.5 million flushed down the toilet be damned.
:mad:

:KW
"It's amazing how stupid a GM can be, ain't it?"

:dumbash
"I'm here to testify!"

I didn't realize Ross Gload as the future DH was set in stone. You do know that Konerko's contract expires this year don't you?

PaleHoseGeorge
02-21-2005, 06:58 PM
I didn't realize Ross Gload as the future DH was set in stone. You do know that Konerko's contract expires this year don't you?

What's your point?
:?:

santo=dorf
02-21-2005, 07:01 PM
What's your point?
:?:
That there's a possibly of Ross Gload being Konerko's replacement, not Thomas'.

SpammySosa
02-21-2005, 07:03 PM
Ol' No. 2 and,though he wasn't with the Sox long,Virgil Fire Trucks.

chisox117
02-21-2005, 07:07 PM
Shoeless Joe Jackson
Runner-up: Dick Allen
:gulp:

Ol' No. 2
02-21-2005, 07:10 PM
Ol' No. 2 and,though he wasn't with the Sox long,Virgil Fire Trucks.My agent, Scott Boras, will be contacting you with a proposal.:D:

nccwsfan
02-21-2005, 07:12 PM
The 1959 White Sox
Ed Walsh
Dick Allen
Bill Melton
Wilbur Wood during his CWS days

Actually any baseball older than me would've been fun to see...

SpammySosa
02-21-2005, 07:16 PM
My agent, Scott Boras, will be contacting you with a proposal.:D:

LMAO!!!

idseer
02-21-2005, 07:59 PM
two i would love to have seen is luke appling and eddie collins.

Ol Aches & Pains
02-21-2005, 08:05 PM
Luke Appling, obviously. And I'll bet Minnie Minoso in his prime would have been fun to watch.

tebman
02-21-2005, 08:13 PM
I am happy to say, I did get to see the great Nellie Fox play many times. With a man on, in the last of the ninth, and the game on the line. There is no other player in this game, that you would want to be there. On the field he was not the physical athlete of todays standards. But, he knew how, and where to play the hitters. A little guy with a big chew of tobbacco, and a great fan favorite of the time. Add little Looie (Aparichio) and you got a great combo up the middle. I would of liked to see Luke Appling, and the great Shoeless Joe.

Ditto on Fox! I was just a kid when he played, but Nellie's the reason I became a Sox fan (and Veeck is the reason I stayed).

You're right on about wanting to see him come to bat in that situation. Just a smart, scrappy ballplayer who did everything within his ability to help the team. I saw an at-bat he had once while a runner was on base -- the runner broke to take second on an outside pitch, and Fox "threw" the bat just to make contact so that the runner could advance.

For me, Fox is the very definition of what a Sox player is, and people who appreciated his work are the very defintion of what Sox Fans are.

- tebman

Lip Man 1
02-21-2005, 08:14 PM
If it's strickly Sox players it would be Billy Pierce in 1956 or so. If it's any MLB player it would be Ted Williams.

Lip

RKMeibalane
02-21-2005, 08:25 PM
Sammy Sosa

LongLiveFisk
02-21-2005, 08:37 PM
I wish I had been to a game during the '77 season to see that team. I spent all summer watching Zisk, Gamble and Lemon take care of business on the old channel 44 with Harry and Jimmy doing the games. How can you not be a freaking fan for life after that?

Funny you should mention this because this was when I became a fan for life! :D: Harry and Jimmy doing the games was a blast.

My vote for Sox player I wish I could have seen goes to Shoeless Joe. I've just heard too many things about how great he really was and it's not like you can really find any video footage on him to get a real glimpse into his talent for yourself.

flo-B-flo
02-21-2005, 08:44 PM
Louie and Nellie turning the dp (my dad always raved about them). Luke Appling: because my uncles and my dad said he was such a tough guy. Jungle Jim Rivera: I was a center fielder in my younger days and I heard many wonderful stories about his exploits.

Dadawg_77
02-21-2005, 08:51 PM
Willie Mays would be the player I would love to see even if it meant going to Wrigley for a Giants game. As for Sox players, really none. I have been lucky to see the greatest one playing before my eyes.

HomeFish
02-21-2005, 08:52 PM
Fisk. I hear he played the game the right way.

Daver
02-21-2005, 09:00 PM
Dick Allen.

I got to see the Bull hit some monster home runs, but I have been told they do not compare to the frozen ropes Allen would launch.

Ol' No. 2
02-21-2005, 09:11 PM
Dick Allen.

I got to see the Bull hit some monster home runs, but I have been told they do not compare to the frozen ropes Allen would launch.One thing I really miss about Old Comiskey is the roof shots. There's really nothing equivalent in New Comiskey. I suppose hitting the concourse is about equivalent in distance, but it doesn't have the same excitement of seeing it clear the roof.

nccwsfan
02-21-2005, 09:31 PM
Has anyone reading this ever seen a HR at old Comiskey that reached the Center Field bleachers? It had only happened 5 times since 1960 so it's a rare feat, but that must have been a shot!

Fake Chet Lemon
02-21-2005, 09:33 PM
Did you ever see that Sports Illustrated issue with Dick Allen smoking on the cover? What a classic, that alone makes me wish I had seem him play. Plus he looks like the only former Sox player who looks like he could survive a cage match with Frank.

JUribe1989
02-21-2005, 09:38 PM
I really wish I had the chance to see Carlos May play, at least I got to meet him at Soxfest and get his autograph.

idseer
02-21-2005, 09:39 PM
Dick Allen.

I got to see the Bull hit some monster home runs, but I have been told they do not compare to the frozen ropes Allen would launch.

a friend of mine shared an interesting tidbit some time ago. allen and melton both hit hr's (back to back maybe). both hr's ended up in just about the same spot. the difference was that melton hit one of those high looping jobs and allen hit a line shot.
two styles ... same result.

Daver
02-21-2005, 09:51 PM
Did you ever see that Sports Illustrated issue with Dick Allen smoking on the cover? What a classic, that alone makes me wish I had seem him play. Plus he looks like the only former Sox player who looks like he could survive a cage match with Frank.

Do you mean this?

http://flyingsock.com/OldComiskey/allyn5.jpg

fuzzy_patters
02-21-2005, 09:52 PM
I would love to see Harold Baines one last time in his prime.

As far as players I did not get to see, I would have loved to have seen Ed Walsh. Statistically, he is probably the greatest pitcher in baseball history.

I would also like to have seen Buck Weaver. I have heard the argument that Buck Weaver was a Hall of Fame caliber player, and he did not receive any money from Rothstein and company. I would like to see him to judge for myself.

JKryl
02-21-2005, 10:23 PM
Shoeless Joe, with out a doubt. Talk about a guy who got a raw deal...

MikeW
02-21-2005, 10:30 PM
I saw most of my favorites play,Nelson Fox at the tail end of his career,Ken Berry who would leap over the old canvas in centerfield to steal homeruns, No-Neck Williams hustling all the time,Wilbur Wood's flutterball,Dick Allen's mammouth blasts,Luis Aparicio at 36 outplaying guys 10 years younger,seeing Joel Horlen and Gary Peters pitch lights out. The only thing I wish for is that I could have seen them at Comiskey instead of at Yankee Stadium.

Brian26
02-21-2005, 10:41 PM
I was born in the year Dick Allen won the MVP- really wish I could have seen him do his thing. I don't think I've ever even seen a video of him at-bat. I've only seen pictures.

eastchicagosoxfan
02-21-2005, 10:48 PM
That 1901 team. I would like to see baseball games from that time period. To answer the question: Joe Jackson. On an aside, to name any player: Honus Wagner.

ode to veeck
02-21-2005, 11:05 PM
Has anyone reading this ever seen a HR at old Comiskey that reached the Center Field bleachers? It had only happened 5 times since 1960 so it's a rare feat, but that must have been a shot!

I remember Harmon Killabrew hitting a line drive sometime in the 60s that bounced off the middle of the scoreboard. It was very similar to Dick Allen's ropes, a total shot with no arc whatsoever.

I would have loved to see Minnie in his prime, that said, as well as Appling, ole #2, Shoeless Joe and what about Eddie Collins.

dugwood31
02-22-2005, 12:25 AM
Aparicio was swiping 60 bags in a real power era. From what I've heard he was the most exciting player ever.

SpartanSoxFan
02-22-2005, 12:32 AM
Dick Allen.

ondafarm
02-22-2005, 12:58 AM
I gotta go with Luke Appling.

Shoeless Joe Jackson is second.

Nellie Fox is third.

((Sorry Mom. If I promise to name my first-born Nelson, then is this okay?))

Maximo
02-22-2005, 10:13 AM
I was born in the year Dick Allen won the MVP- really wish I could have seen him do his thing. I don't think I've ever even seen a video of him at-bat. I've only seen pictures.

It was literally worth the price of admission to watch him take his cuts four times a game.

Brian26
02-22-2005, 10:22 AM
I remember Harmon Killabrew hitting a line drive sometime in the 60s that bounced off the middle of the scoreboard. It was very similar to Dick Allen's ropes, a total shot with no arc whatsoever.

The only guy I ever saw do it was George Bell- I think this happened sometime around '85 or '86.

NonetheLoaiza
02-22-2005, 10:26 AM
Fox and Aparicio turning 2.

Lip Man 1
02-22-2005, 10:37 AM
Brian:

Contact me I may be able to send you some Allen video material.

Lip

voodoochile
02-22-2005, 10:41 AM
Where's the love for Eddie Gaedel?

I actually did get to see Dick Allen play once or twice, but I was young and no one in my family is a die hard fan like me, so I didn't realize the significance at the time.

Have to go with Shoeless Joe. I want to see if he is as good as all the hype. His stats certainly bear it out.

SOXintheBURGH
02-22-2005, 10:43 AM
I wish I could have watched the South Side Hitmen, as well as seeing Nellie and Luis turning 2.

Medford Bobby
02-22-2005, 11:32 AM
:o: Now that I think about this from the pre -juiced Mark McGwire days...the deepest HR I've seen at Old Comiskey....Mark hit one just to the left of bleachers deep in to the lower deck almost to the wall...ok, not quite the bleachers but the shot was almost a frozen rope blast.......This was June of 1987 and HR no. 27....again before steroids..............:cool:

:bandance: Imagine the steroid induced shots over the roof if Old Comiskey was still around during the 90's??????:?:

Risk
02-22-2005, 11:52 AM
Either Nellie Fox or Billy Pierce (my father's favorite pitcher).

Risk

Maximo
02-22-2005, 12:10 PM
Shoeless Joe Jackson.

I'm old enough to remember seeing Luke Appling play in a couple of Old Timers games. By that time he had "lost a step, or two".:D:

misty60481
02-22-2005, 12:36 PM
I was lucky I got to see Appling, Lyons, Fox, Pierce, everybody from 1945 on--I think if the Sox wouldnt have been in trouble financially they would have kept Eddy Lopat---he pitched for them until late 40s they traded him to Yankees---also a big favorite when he first came up was Gus Zernial he really tore the cover off the ball his rookie season until he broke his collar bone,,,then next year we traded him,,cant complain we got Minoso in the deal,,if Zernial would have stayed he might have been good enough to be remembered..Pierce had the smoothest motion of any pitcher I ever saw---reminded you of Warren Spahn and it seemed like he was always pitching against Ford, Parnell, Lemon---the top in the league..Fox was amazing I dont think I ever remember him swinging and missing---same with Appling he could stand at home plate and foul off up to 15 pitches---he drove the pitchers nuts..One pitcher--Dizzy Trout--threw his glove at Luke after about a dozen fouls and hollered foul that off----

Sad
02-22-2005, 12:41 PM
... that's good stuff! :smile:

Fake Chet Lemon
02-22-2005, 01:51 PM
Do you mean this?

http://flyingsock.com/OldComiskey/allyn5.jpg

You're good, and fast. YES. That B it.

mweflen
02-22-2005, 05:00 PM
Where's the love for Eddie Gaedel?

Didn't Gaedel play for a different Veeck team, like St. Louis or something?

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/stats_historical/mlb_player_locator_results.jsp?playerLocator=gaede l

voodoochile
02-22-2005, 05:36 PM
Didn't Gaedel play for a different Veeck team, like St. Louis or something?

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/stats_historical/mlb_player_locator_results.jsp?playerLocator=gaede l

damn... brain fart...

idseer
02-22-2005, 06:39 PM
damn... brain fart...

isn't that interesting? i always assumed he did that for the sox myself. :?:

Daver
02-22-2005, 06:46 PM
Eddie Gaedel wore uniform number 1/8 for the St. Louis Browns, and that link did not work for me.

ja1022
02-22-2005, 07:22 PM
damn... brain fart...

I had that same brain gas in a different thread a couple of months back. Just shows how strongly Veeck is identified with the White Sox.

In 1970, at the age of eight, I became a Sox fan because of Louie Aparicio. My brother, who is seven years older than me, was and still is a Cubs fan. Thank God Luis Ernesto Aparicio was there to deliver me from evil. He hit .313 that year, and at one point was at .372 and leading the league. It's funny the things you remember. After the '70 season he was traded to Boston. I would have liked to have been able enjoy the way he played the game during his first stint with the Sox.

HITMEN OF 77
02-22-2005, 07:59 PM
Carlos May
Bill Melton
Dick Allen
Pete Ward

Anyone from the '68-'71 teams.

Chisox003
02-22-2005, 08:06 PM
I would have loved to see Frank right from the beginning of his career and into his prime....

Since I was only about 5 when Frank first came up (90-91), I was really too young to remember all his early years and into his prime, even though that was around the time I became a die-hard Sox fan (around '93)....

Watching highlights and just going on what I remember from watching and ESPECIALLY being at the games, he was something we can only hope to see again....

Ill never forget the absolute madness a packed stadium would bring when "Number 35, FRRR-aaaaaank THOMAS" was announced...The place shook

(Maybe this should go in the Frank support thread too :gulp: )

Vernam
02-26-2005, 12:33 PM
Nellie Fox
Dick Allen
Luis Aparicio
(i guess there not just ONE person I wanted to see)

I know I'm old when most other people's lists of players they wish they'd seen consist of guys I actually saw!

My dad always talked about Ted Lyons and Luke Appling. Since they were mostly on the team together, I'm not going to say which of the two would be my top choice.

VC

Bucky F. Dent
02-26-2005, 12:53 PM
I wish I could have watched the South Side Hitmen.

That was one hell of a time to be a Sox fan. Zisk, Luzinski, Gamble....just crushing the ball with every swing.

SpammySosa
02-26-2005, 01:32 PM
That was one hell of a time to be a Sox fan. Zisk, Luzinski, Gamble....just crushing the ball with every swing.
Luzinski didn't come along until 1981.

hose
02-26-2005, 01:58 PM
1) Joe Jackson
2) Big Ed Walsh
3) Minnie Minoso
4) Nellie Fox
5) Luke Appling
6) Eddis Collins
7) Al Lopez
8) Jungle Jim Rivera
9) Billy Pierce
10) Early Winn

The Racehorse
02-26-2005, 05:03 PM
... I'd have to say the 1919 Sox team as a whole. Why? Because baseball as we know it today is a direct result of what happened in 1919 & 1920. Think about it. The 1919 Sox team was a GREAT team. If they'd stayed intact, the Yankees would not have dominated the '20s, period. While the Babe would have still been the greatest, the "curse of the Bambino" crap very well would not have happened. Not to mention the Yankee dynasty in general wouldn't have happened, the arrogant attitude of baseball's sun rises & sets solely on the NYY's wouldn't have happened, etcetera, etcetera...

I'm very appreciative of the old timers abilities & accomplishments. Today's
players are bigger, stronger, have better equipment and utilize better nutrition... well, equipment, yes. That's it. Players back in the day were just as big & as strong without 'roids... and oh by the way, drank just as much beer as today's ball players. One thing nobody ever mentions when comparing old school to new school is that the old timers were tougher & meaner than today's players (imo, of course).

I'd love to have seen that 1919 Sox team. Great team, great players... HOF & future HOF-caliber players. Yeah, they threw the series, how else does anyone explain losing to the Reds?

chisoxfan64
02-26-2005, 06:14 PM
I would have really liked to seen any sox game at old comiskey against the yankees with ruth and gehrig in the lineup.
I have enjoyed many sox greats since 64 but would have liked to see the 59 team play.
GO SOX!!

Brian26
02-26-2005, 06:42 PM
I would have loved to see Frank right from the beginning of his career and into his prime....

Since I was only about 5 when Frank first came up (90-91), I was really too young to remember all his early years and into his prime, even though that was around the time I became a die-hard Sox fan (around '93)....

I'll never forget the day he got called up in '90 and his first game (At Milwaukee). I could be wrong- I think the Sox called Frank and Alex Fernandez up on the same day. Frank just murdered the ball in his first game at County Stadium. I think he had a triple high off the wall in his first or second at-bat.

Lip Man 1
02-26-2005, 10:46 PM
Both Thomas and Fernandez made their major league debut's in the first game of a DH at Milwaukee on August 2, 1990. Thomas went 0-4 and was out of the lineup in the 2nd game.

The next night he would get his first big league hit a triple of all things and nearly had an inside the park home run. Thomas went the other way with Fisk on base in the 7th inning and Rob Deer couldn't reach the ball near the top of the wall in right center. Fisk scored easily and if Deer had bobbled the ball (which bounced back past him towards the infield) Frank would have come home.

It is amazing to me when I watch the tape of that hit how fast Frank was when he was young. For a big guy he could motor.

Racehorse: Your theory is an interesting one. One that Sox author / historian Rich Lindberg also happens to subscribe to. As he put it, if there was no Black Sox scandel, the powers that be wouldn't have kept tinkering with the baseball itself, first started during the 1920 season and emphasized the home run.

Babe Ruth still would have hit a lot of dingers but no where near 714 and the Yankee dynasty first begun during the 1920's probably would have never happened. Man for man the 'Black Sox,' had better talent overall then New York. The banning of those players gutted the franchise for years.

Lip

slavko
02-26-2005, 11:26 PM
Favorite Nellie memory. Slow curve thrown at his hip. Jumps out of the way, has second thoughts and jumps back in to get the HBP. That should be White Sox Baseball.

jvoboogie
02-27-2005, 01:56 AM
I have to admit seeing the 1919 team would have been cool. They seemed to have everything and its true if it were'nt for the gamblers, baseball in the 20's, at least from an east coast point of view and beyond wouldve been totally different. The game then wasn't a power game and it would have been fun to see it with a reliance on pitching, speed and defense (sound familiar?) I was lucky to become a Sox fan in the late 50's so I was able to see most of the players from that era on. But Joe Jackson, Buck Weaver and the rest, that would have been special

unysoxfan
02-27-2005, 02:14 PM
I would love to see Harold Baines one last time in his prime.

As far as players I did not get to see, I would have loved to have seen Ed Walsh. Statistically, he is probably the greatest pitcher in baseball history.

I would also like to have seen Buck Weaver. I have heard the argument that Buck Weaver was a Hall of Fame caliber player, and he did not receive any money from Rothstein and company. I would like to see him to judge for myself.

I totally agree that I would like to see Weaver to decide for myself. Also Shoeless Joe.

Milkman43
02-27-2005, 02:35 PM
I would love to see all of these guys but I have to say Bo Jackson.