PDA

View Full Version : Very interesting question....

WhiteSoxFan84
02-21-2005, 12:02 PM
I saw this poll on SI.com and after voting for the Marlins, I was surprised to see the mixed results. Check it out...

If Gary Sheffield makes the Hall of Fame, which cap should he wear?
Padres - 16% (636 votes)
Marlins - 22% (899 votes)
Dodgers - 18% (732 votes)
Braves - 25% (1016 votes)
Yankees - 20%( 818 votes)
Total: 4101 votes

I know not a lot of people like Sheffield, but the guy has been pretty successful almost everywhere he has been. He will get very serious consideration for the Hall when the time comes, and I was just wondering which cap you guys think he should wear?

Baby Fisk
02-21-2005, 12:29 PM
It's a tough call. the HoF makes the decision, but if his career had ended after last season, I'd say Florida because that's where he played longest and won a world championship in 1997. He put up bigger numbers with Atlanta & NY, but only 3 seasons combined to this point.

samram
02-21-2005, 12:39 PM
It's a tough call. the HoF makes the decision, but if his career had ended after last season, I'd say Florida because that's where he played longest and won a world championship in 1997. He put up bigger numbers with Atlanta & NY, but only 3 seasons combined to this point.

I can understand your reasoning because you actually had your facts right and I didn't because I'm dumb. I voted for Atlanta because I thought he was there longer than two years (which he wasn't) and, obviously, they were in the postseason every year he was there (which is true, but they didn't win a championship, which is better than just getting to the postseason, unless you're a Cub, in which case, you feel championships are won in February on paper).

vance
02-21-2005, 01:15 PM
Sheff maybe one of those players best served going into the Hall with no logo on his cap. That being said, I'm not sure Sheff is a HOfer.

MRKARNO
02-21-2005, 01:40 PM
The Marlins for sure. It's where he was the longest, had his most productive season in 1996 and won the World Series his only time in 1997.

Jabroni
02-21-2005, 01:54 PM
He is a borderline Hall of Famer in my book, and that's without looking at him as a roid user. Frank should make it well before Sheffield.

Jjav829
02-21-2005, 01:54 PM
A BALCO cap (size 8 1/2).

vance
02-21-2005, 01:56 PM
He is a borderline Hall of Famer in my book. Frank should make it well before Sheffield.

I agree with you. (Surprised?) Thomas is a HOFer already. Sheff has a little more to prove. That being said, I'm not certain Thomas will go first ballot. I'm not saying he shouldn't, but looking at the way some guys vote, the fact that he was suspect defensively and played a lot of games as DH will cost him some votes his first time around.

WhiteSoxFan84
02-21-2005, 02:49 PM
I agree with you. (Surprised?) Thomas is a HOFer already. Sheff has a little more to prove. That being said, I'm not certain Thomas will go first ballot. I'm not saying he shouldn't, but looking at the way some guys vote, the fact that he was suspect defensively and played a lot of games as DH will cost him some votes his first time around.

If Thomas can put together another 2 maybe 3 solid seasons together, he is a guranteed first ballot. Why? Because almost all of the baseball world knows he's steroid free and he was one of the first guys that wanted to do something about the problem. He will get credit for that and extra credit for putting up the numbers he put up without using any illegal substances.

HebrewHammer
02-21-2005, 03:08 PM
I don't think he gets in because 1. He's a prick and 2. The roids issue. That being said if he were to luck his way in, I think he wears a Braves hat.

My all time favorite Sheffield moment was when he was on SportsCenter's Hot Seat, he attempted to make the Sosa/Corked Bat story into a racial issue. Claiming that if it were Mark McGwire no one would have cared. He was only allowed to be shot from the waist up as to hide the clown pants.

Although, combined with Barry Bonds and Manny Ramirez he did form the single surliest OF in the history of Fantasy Baseball and help me to win my league in '03, so he's not all bad.

California Sox
02-21-2005, 04:52 PM
Brewers.

mcfish
02-21-2005, 06:09 PM
Brewers.Darn. I thought I was going to be the first to say it. I wholeheartedly agree. Brewers.

nccwsfan
02-21-2005, 06:21 PM
IF he made the HoF, I'd say the Marlins, but I don't really identify him with any team...

BigEdWalsh
02-21-2005, 06:51 PM
Man, I hate to admit it, but I think he's got the numbers. Question is, who would vote for the jerk? Maybe he doesn't get in because of the kinda guy he is. It would serve him right!
I could care less what hat he wore, but it would probably be a Marlins hat.:dunno:

eastchicagosoxfan
02-21-2005, 09:22 PM
Dodgers. In honor of Mike Marshall, who paved the way for Gary Sheffield to play on 6 teams. Maybe Padres/Yankees in tribute to Dave Winfield, and the millions he brought in as a free agent. I don't think he's a Hall of Famer right now, because he's shown no loyalty. Who's Gary sheffield? I've always identified great players with a team. Okay some guys two teams. Reggie Jackson-A'S/Yanks-I know he played elsewhere. George Brett-Royals. Molitor-Brewers. Winfield-Padres/Yanks. Fisk White Sox/that other Sox team. Tom Seaver-Mets. Who else? What Hall of Famer do you associate with the most teams? Not that you he played for, but that you associate significant years of his career with? Nellie Fox-Sox. Rolloie Fingers-A's-Anyone seriously consider him a Padre?

Parrothead
02-21-2005, 09:55 PM
He should not be in the Hall due to when he was with Milwaukee he specifically said that he was purposely not performing so that they would trade him. The guy is a tool and should not even be allowed in baseball.

fuzzy_patters
02-21-2005, 11:51 PM
The great Gary Sheffield, a man who did not take steroids until he accidentally was given some by a Balco trainer, mysteriously balooned from a shortstop with Milwaukee into a behemoth power hitter. That is not suspicious at all.

As for caps, I agree that he should wear a Brewers hat. I am just mad that other people posted it before I had the chance to.

TDog
02-22-2005, 02:08 AM
He should not be in the Hall due to when he was with Milwaukee he specifically said that he was purposely not performing so that they would trade him. The guy is a tool and should not even be allowed in baseball.

I was thinking he should go in with a Brewers cap to recall the days when he purposely missed fly balls.

The HOF isn't just about numbers.

Cubbiesuck13
02-22-2005, 02:21 AM
He shouldn't be in because he is a cheater. Period.

Jabroni
02-22-2005, 02:25 AM
He shouldn't be in because he is a cheater. Period.Agreed. :thumbsup:

nccwsfan
02-22-2005, 05:40 AM
He shouldn't be in because he is a cheater. Period.

If that's the case, should players Gaylord Perry, George Brett, Whitey Ford, John McGraw, and Don Sutton have their plaques removed from the Hall of Fame? They cheated too. The Hall of Fame has several more (cheaters) that I haven't mentioned. Like it or not it's always been a part of the game...

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/list/cheaters/ballplayers.html