PDA

View Full Version : Marte to alter his approach

Jabroni
02-21-2005, 12:52 PM
"Notes: Marte to alter his approach
Lefty setup man plans to keep righties off plate"
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20050220&content_id=946875&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp

Funny quote by Ozzie:Word choice: After Guillen mentioned the change in Takatsu's fastball, he was asked what specifically was different.

"I think he has more juice on it. Oh, I said the wrong word," said Guillen, drawing a big laugh from the media by inadvertently using a steroids' buzzword. "He has better pop on the ball. Sorry."

Brian26
02-21-2005, 01:01 PM
"Notes: Marte to alter his approach
Lefty setup man plans to keep righties off plate"
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20050220&content_id=946875&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp

Funny quote by Ozzie:

It's almost like Ozzie needs a 7-second delay on his mouth.

chisox2005
02-21-2005, 02:25 PM
Should Marte just go in to take the lefties out? I know he's kinda the set-up man for the closer but he dominates against the lefties and struggles against the right handed hitters. He gave up 8 out his 10 homeruns to righties I believe the article said. With getting Hermanson and a stronger bullpen altogther, I think that Marte should keep doing what he's doing and just worry about the lefties.

Foulke You
02-21-2005, 03:21 PM
Should Marte just go in to take the lefties out? I know he's kinda the set-up man for the closer but he dominates against the lefties and struggles against the right handed hitters. He gave up 8 out his 10 homeruns to righties I believe the article said. With getting Hermanson and a stronger bullpen altogther, I think that Marte should keep doing what he's doing and just worry about the lefties.

I would take a wait and see approach on Marte. If he continues to struggle against righty batters, then perhaps using Marte exclusively against leftys isn't a bad idea. I agree with Cooper's assessment that Marte wasn't aggresive enough inside with his fastball last year and it allowed the right handed batters to dig in and get comfortable on driving his outside corner stuff. I remember Marte being pretty effective against right handed batters before 2004 so I would like to see him get another shot at being the exclusive 8th inning setup guy.

Jjav829
02-21-2005, 03:24 PM
There's only one adjustment I want to see Damaso make. When it's the bototm of the 9th, the bases are loaded, and the winning run is on 3rd, throw strikes!

Foulke You
02-21-2005, 03:32 PM
There's only one adjustment I want to see Damaso make. When it's the bototm of the 9th, the bases are loaded, and the winning run is on 3rd, throw strikes!

Amen brother. (*Shudders as July 4th game against the Cubs comes flashing back*) Thanks Jjav...I almost purged that painful game from my mind and now it has all come flooding back. Damaso completely choked it in that AB vs Todd Walker. I remember the Ball 4 pitch wasn't even close to the strike zone.:(:

Didn't Damaso lose several games like that last year? I seem to remember one against the Tigers where he walked in the winning run as well. I remember Polite losing one like that too. We lost more games last year with a "walkoff-walk" than in any other year I can remember as a Sox fan.:mad:

SoxxoS
02-21-2005, 04:13 PM

Cliff Politte could also really, really heed that advice. The whole WSI board knew he was going to walk in the winning run against the Tigers in late August (I think late August).

Dadawg_77
02-21-2005, 04:45 PM

Matre (three year average)
L .154/.245/.368
R .258/.320/.368
(last year)
L .143/.256/.215
R .263/.339/.444

Herm (three year average)
L .288/.347/.470
R .265/.320/.422
(last year)
L .285/.352/.498
R .242/.291/.358

Last year was Hermerson's best year, so assuming he continues that production, I would want him to take innings from Marte. So I would use Vizcanio first then Marte, just to keep Marte fresh if need to face a lefty. Hermason would be at most the third option out of the pen.

beck72
02-22-2005, 08:08 AM
Herm (three year average)
L .288/.347/.470
R .265/.320/.422
(last year)
L .285/.352/.498
R .242/.291/.358

Last year was Hermerson's best year, so assuming he continues that production, I would want him to take innings from Marte. So I would use Vizcanio first then Marte, just to keep Marte fresh if need to face a lefty. Hermason would be at most the third option out of the pen.

Hermanson should improve on his numbers even more, as he threw as a starter most of the 3 yr stretch. The numbers he threw as a reliever were even better. I certainly like his bulldog attitude, and willingness to pitch anywhere the team needs