PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Tonight?

Qdaddy
02-20-2005, 11:34 PM
What's up fellow Sox Fans!! First post here, so just saying what's up. Does anyone know when the first Baseball Tonight is going to air?? Just wondering....

Oh yeah, whoever posted that picture where the Japanese guy holding up the sign reading "Thank God we're not the Cubs!" well, that was not a guy in Japan holding up that sign. That was me at the Sox in 2002. Just thought I mentioned that......someone was saying it was some dude in Japan.

Anyways, GO SOX!

PAPChiSox729
02-20-2005, 11:38 PM
What's up fellow Sox Fans!! First post here, so just saying what's up. Does anyone know when the first Baseball Tonight is going to air?? Just wondering....

Oh yeah, whoever posted that picture where the Japanese guy holding up the sign reading "Thank God we're not the Cubs!" well, that was not a guy in Japan holding up that sign. That was me at the Sox in 2002. Just thought I mentioned that......someone was saying it was some dude in Japan.

Anyways, GO SOX!

Firstly, :welcome:

Secondly, all I know is that BBTN has a big show on Opening Day, but before then, I don't have a clue. Besides, I really get sick of hearing about the Red Sox and Yankees. Those most of their experts have no idea what goes on outside of the East coast.

Jjav829
02-20-2005, 11:43 PM
Welcome Aboard! :D: You have your own tag here. That's more than most first-time posters can say.

:thankgod

ChiSoxRowand
02-20-2005, 11:45 PM
:welcome:

I remember they aired one right before spring training last year. They should be airing one pretty soon.

Jjav829
02-20-2005, 11:58 PM
The first BBTN will be a week from today; Sunday, February 27th at 4:00 p.m.

DumpJerry
02-21-2005, 12:30 AM
The first BBTN will be a week from today; Sunday, February 27th at 4:00 p.m.
Yup, I just got the same info. :D:

Jjav829
02-27-2005, 01:33 PM
Just a reminder. The first BBTN of the 2005 season airs today at 4 p.m. They probably won't discuss the Sox much, but at least we'll get to hear some real baseball talk. :gulp:

BridgePortNative
02-27-2005, 01:45 PM
What they'll probably be saying is the Randy is a Yankee crap, plus Sammy as an Oriole, the Bo Sox with Gammons and Carlos Beltran.

mike squires
02-27-2005, 02:01 PM
Welcome aboard! Hopefully you stick around awhile. It amazes me how few stick around and post regularly.

Brian26
02-27-2005, 03:11 PM
I can't stand 3 of the 4 guys on that show. Karl Ravich is the only guy that is tolerable.

chisoxmike
02-27-2005, 03:14 PM
Is it going to be on ESPN or ESPN 2?

baseball_fanatic
02-27-2005, 03:18 PM
I am very much looking forward to the first BBTN! It is a sign that baseball is almost here!

My guess the top story will be:

1. Steroids
2. Big Unit Trade
3. Yankees-Red Sox
4. Beltran Signing
5. Sosa Trade
6. Curt Shilling's sock
7. Jose Canseco

By then, the show will be over and they'll quickly try to mention the rest of the offseason.

NSSoxFan
02-27-2005, 04:04 PM
Not going to watch the East Coast Baseball preview...

chisoxmike
02-27-2005, 04:07 PM
Wow, John Kruk thinks Randy Johnson will win 30 games this season. Wow.

robertks61
02-27-2005, 04:07 PM
Red Sox - Yankees Tonight!

Clement's beard
02-27-2005, 04:14 PM
Gammons says Twins and Astros are world series contenders.:?:

Ol' No. 2
02-27-2005, 04:15 PM
No Kubbie Kool-Aide this year.

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-27-2005, 04:16 PM
Gammons says Twins and Astros are world series contenders.:?:
No doubt. They would've gone all the way last year if Joe Mauer was healthy. :rolleyes:

SoxFan76
02-27-2005, 04:18 PM
"We'll talk more about the Cubs later"

WHY!!! They didn't do anything but DOWNgrade their team. AHHHHHH!!!!

santo=dorf
02-27-2005, 04:20 PM
No Kubbie Kool-Aide this year.

You know things are bad when Steve Phillips is saying your team had a bad offseason, but he mentioned something about how Hendry and Macphail don't have the resources from the Tribune company. :?:

"Can you imagine the Cubs with Armando Benitez closing and Carlos Beltran in Centerfield?"

Cubs fans were doing it on a daily basis last November Steve, but hey! I'm not complaining that the Cubs got Burnitz and Stephen Randolph instead. :dtroll:

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-27-2005, 04:21 PM
I just love how they say the Tribune doesn't let Hendry spend, yet they have a payroll that's probably $100,000,000. :rolleyes: Next time, if you want to IMPROVE your team, don't pay teams a lot of money to take some of your crappy players(sosa)

Clement's beard
02-27-2005, 04:22 PM
:boston (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=15#)" I get paid to be a complete idiot! By the way, Pedro will win the CY Young"

Ol' No. 2
02-27-2005, 04:25 PM
You know things are bad when Steve Phillips is saying your team had a bad offseason, but he mentioned something about how Hendry and Macphail don't have the resources from the Tribune company. :?:

"Can you imagine the Cubs with Armando Benitez closing and Carlos Beltran in Centerfield?"

Cubs fans were doing it on a daily basis last November Steve, but hey! I'm not complaining that the Cubs got Burnitz and Stephen Randolph instead. :dtroll:Did you get Phillips' comments about Sosa's and Giambi's HR total?
Sosa: 50
Giambi: 35
"This should show who's been juicing and what the effect was." Or something to that effect. Huh???

santo=dorf
02-27-2005, 04:27 PM
Sosa hitting 60 homers in Baltimore???:?:

Somebody forgot the teal.

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-27-2005, 04:29 PM
Best offseason in the AL East and AL Central next! This should be interesting. :rolleyes:

Gammons: "The Twins acquisition of Mike Redmond and Armando Rios will take them to the World Series!"
"The Indians without a doubt! They've acquired the best reliever in the league with Arthur Rhodes and an absolute stud in Kevin Millwood who's done nothing since leaving Atlanta!

Jjav829
They're going to do the AL "take your pick" for best offseason a little later on. This will be interesting. I hope Harold or Kruk is in there instead of Gammons. You know Gammons will say the Twins just because they are getting his new obsession, Joe Mauer, back healthy. That's the only reason he has. That and them re-signing Radke and Santana. Forget about the fact that they didn't add anyone.

I say Steve Phillips goes with the Sox for best offseason.

Ol' No. 2
Did the Sox get contracted and I haven't heard? Any bets on whether they can do the whole show without mentioning them? If they say anything beyond the usual pap about losing their two best hitters I'll be shocked.

santo=dorf
02-27-2005, 04:32 PM
Best offseason in the AL East and AL Central next! This should be interesting. :rolleyes:

Gammons: "The Twins acquisition of Mark Redman and Armando Rios will take them to the World Series!"
"The Indians without a doubt! They've acquired the best reliever in the league with Arthur Rhodes and an absolute stud in Kevin Millwood who's done nothing since leaving Atlanta!
The Twins got Mike Redmond, Mark Redman was traded to the Pirates in the Kendall deal, and Method Man is working on a new album. :tongue:

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-27-2005, 04:33 PM
The Twins got Mike Redmond, Mark Redman was traded to the Pirates in the Kendall deal, and Method Man is working on a new album. :tongue:
Dang, you quoted my post just before I edited it. :redface:

Jjav829
02-27-2005, 04:33 PM
Did the Sox get contracted and I haven't heard? Any bets on whether they can to the whole show without mentioning them? If they say anything beyond the usual pap about losing their two best hitters I'll be shocked.

That's what it will be. The damn Nationals have gotten more airtime than the Sox, so far. The Sox will be mentioned, but it'll probably be something like this.

:boston
"The Twins, no doubt, are the most improved. They're getting back a healthy Joe Mauer who's one of the bright young stars in the game and might be the best catcher in baseball by the end of the year. They kept Radke and locked in Santana for 4 years. No one in that division had a better offseason. Ordonez will help the Tigers, but they still need pitching. The Indians young players will carry them and they added a few solid veterans. And then you have the Royals and White Sox. The Twins clearly had the best offseason."

Bring on John Kruk. He throws the Sox more love than anyone else on this show.

Chisox003
02-27-2005, 04:43 PM
I have my mouse ready to click on the guy throwing up pic for after their "expert analasys" of the central...This should be a great segment on how improved the Twinkies are

FarWestChicago
02-27-2005, 04:43 PM
Just a reminder. The first BBTN of the 2005 season airs today at 4 p.m. They probably won't discuss the Sox much, but at least we'll get to hear some real baseball talk. :gulp::?: On Baseball Tabloid Night? The show on ESPN The Tabloid? You must get a different version in Chicago than we do out here. :D:

Ol' No. 2
02-27-2005, 04:44 PM
They're going to spend the rest of the show debating whether RJ can win 30. Give it a rest.:rolleyes:

SOXintheBURGH
02-27-2005, 04:48 PM
This show has been on for 47 minutes and the only exposure given to the SOX was Jamie Burke's cheap shot.:angry:

Ol' No. 2
02-27-2005, 04:51 PM
This show has been on for 47 minutes and the only exposure given to the SOX was Jamie Burke's cheap shot.:angry:It's not just the Sox. 10 minutes to go and I think they've mentioned only about 5 teams. I'm sure I'm not the only ones surprised.

%*&#*%(% Can't even remember the name of the stadium.:angry:

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-27-2005, 04:51 PM
THEY MENTION THE SOX! "Cub fans will be able to see Sammy not at Wrigley, but at U.S. Cellular. Isn't that where the White Sox play?" :rolleyes:

Chisox003
02-27-2005, 04:52 PM
:chunks

WOW

santo=dorf
02-27-2005, 04:52 PM
Well, there's our White Sox reference.

"Where do the White Sox play, Cellular?"

Clement's beard
02-27-2005, 04:53 PM
It's not just the Sox. 10 minutes to go and I think they've mentioned only about 5 teams. I'm sure I'm not the only ones surprised.

%*&#*%(% Can't even remember the name of the stadium.:angry:

Ravich: Is U.S. Cellular field what they call it now"?

ChiWhiteSox1337
That's what it will be. The damn Nationals have gotten more airtime than the Sox, so far. The Sox will be mentioned, but it'll probably be something like this.

"The Twins, no doubt, are the most improved. They're getting back a healthy Joe Mauer who's one of the bright young stars in the game and might be the best catcher in baseball by the end of the year. They kept Radke and locked in Santana for 4 years. No one in that division had a better offseason. Ordonez will help the Tigers, but they still need pitching. The Indians young players will carry them and they added a few solid veterans. And then you have the Royals and White Sox. The Twins clearly had the best offseason."

Bring on John Kruk. He throws the Sox more love than anyone else on this show.
You hit it on the head with Gammons. Said pretty much the same thing with Mauer..

Ol' No. 2

Bring on John Kruk. He throws the Sox more love than anyone else on this show.Mauer - check
Radke - check
Santana - check
Ordonez - check
Indians - check.

Sox don't even exist.

JGarlandrules20
02-27-2005, 04:54 PM
Um. I like how the Sox were mentioned ZERO times when discussing the AL central :angry: :angry:

Clement's beard
This was a brutal show. I think they actually have one show before the season starts where they pick the winners of each division.

Chisox003

Is this his EXACT quote, predicted 20 minutes before it happened???

WHAT A JOKE!!

Officially Under the Radar in 2005

robertks61
1 hour waste of a baseball show.......

Jjav829
02-27-2005, 04:55 PM
They're going to do the AL "take your pick" for best offseason a little later on. This will be interesting. I hope Harold or Kruk is in there instead of Gammons. You know Gammons will say the Twins just because they are getting his new obsession, Joe Mauer, back healthy. That's the only reason he has. That and them re-signing Radke and Santana. Forget about the fact that they didn't add anyone.

I say Steve Phillips goes with the Sox for best offseason.

Right and wrong. Can't say I'm surprised by Phillips saying the Tigers.

Hey, at least they made a reference to us. Bad publicity is better than no publicity, right? Right? Ehhh...

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-27-2005, 04:56 PM
I think we all knew what was going to happen, but for some reason we sox fans feel compelled to watch to see what stupid comments they would make about the other teams.

Ol' No. 2
02-27-2005, 04:57 PM
Right and wrong. Can't say I'm surprised by Phillips saying the Tigers.

Hey, at least they made a reference to us. Bad publicity is better than no publicity, right? Right? Ehhh...You really nailed the AL Central comments. Can you do that with horses?:cool:

NSSoxFan
02-27-2005, 04:58 PM
I'm surprised that any of you were expecting them to talk about the Sox.

*** Cares.

Jjav829
02-27-2005, 04:59 PM
I think we all knew what was going to happen, but for some reason we sox fans feel compelled to watch to see what stupid comments they would make about the other teams.

I knew they wouldn't talk about the Sox. They never do unless we're involved in a trade, fight, or some other big occurrence. I watch just because I like to see baseball talk. They do have some good stuff once in a while. It never has to do with the Sox though, which is annoying.

Rocklive99
02-27-2005, 04:59 PM
Uhoh, get the reply meter ready, turns out we don't exist

Seriously though, no I remember why I don't watch this show anymore. It used to be decent, but ever since they got Kruk it's just been him and Reynolds trying to outdo each other with predictions (30 games, ***?!?) and Gammons breaking news out of Boston, these guys don't know jack, what a joke. Plus they changed the organ sound, what's up with that. Hopefully CSN will have something similar. We need a 24/7 MLB TV channel, hopefully they'll start it up with the popularity of the 24/7 XM radio channel, plus the other sports all have one, even the NHL (in Canada)

Jjav829
02-27-2005, 05:00 PM
You really nailed the AL Central comments. Can you do that with horses?:cool:

Yeah, sure. But you have to let me see the race a few times, just like this. Once it becomes predictable, I'll guarantee you the winner. :D:

JGarlandrules20
02-27-2005, 05:01 PM

Yeah, but I didn't think they would -flat out- ignore them.

santo=dorf

*** Cares.

I was expecting them to say something bad about the Sox so I could bring it back up to them at the end of the season. Oh well.

Nard
- twins best
- tigers best
- indians good too except close role

UNDER THE RADAR, BABY.

Whitesox029
02-27-2005, 05:08 PM
Uhoh, get the reply meter ready, turns out we don't exist

Seriously though, no I remember why I don't watch this show anymore. It used to be decent, but ever since they got Kruk it's just been him and Reynolds trying to outdo each other with predictions (30 games, ***?!?)
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:cBNjt1leCM4J:http://www.acclaimimages.com/_gallery/_SM/0019-0311-1214-1911_SM.jpg
Mr. Franklin here says Johnson doesn't even win half that. You can only throw 100 for so long.
Typical Baseball Tonight...Gammons is stupid, the Sox get mentioned more in the Sosa discussion than in the discussion about their own division. Did we really expect them to be touting our offseason?

Ol' No. 2
02-27-2005, 05:12 PM
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:cBNjt1leCM4J:http://www.acclaimimages.com/_gallery/_SM/0019-0311-1214-1911_SM.jpg
Mr. Franklin here says Johnson doesn't even win half that. You can only throw 100 for so long.
Typical Baseball Tonight...Gammons is stupid, the Sox get mentioned more in the Sosa discussion than in the discussion about their own division. Did we really expect them to be touting our offseason?I'll take that bet. RJ is a freak of nature. The normal rules don't apply. He won't win 30, but he'll win 18 minumum and 22 is very possible.

JUribe1989
02-27-2005, 06:31 PM
I'm gonna be laughing at these ESPN idiots when we win the AL Central.

kcsportscaster
02-28-2005, 01:40 AM
I celebrated the first edition of Baseball Tonight by watching college basketball, Kansas/Oklahoma State on CBS and Maryland/North Carolina on FSN (Sun Sports in Florida) instead of those buffoons, and from what I've read on this thread thus far, nothing has changed over the off season as far as their asinine opinions go, especially Abner Doubleday, err, Peter Gammons. The Twins had the best off season, give me a freakin' break, Gammons!!!! I feel with the Sox's off season moves, getting Iguchi and Dye in particular, that they will not only win the A-L Central, but go deep into the playoffs and possibly the World Series. Why even waste time watching those idiots in the first place. No matter the sport, the four letter network has its favorite teams as well as teams or college conferences that they hate.

SOXSINCE'70
02-28-2005, 08:15 AM
I'm through with "Blow Sawx/Yankmees Tonight".The eastern
talking heads think the third largest city in America has one team.:chunks

Maximo
02-28-2005, 08:21 AM
As explained in Richard Lindberg's article, the New York based media view the Sox as the second team from the "Second City". Pretty big hole to climb out of when it comes to national publicity.

Winning a championship.... be it Division, Pennant, WS.....will take care of some of that, but we're fooling ourselves if we think that some kid in Connecticut, Nebraska or Guam wakes up every morning and checks the box score to see how the Sox did.

nebraskasox
02-28-2005, 10:48 AM
As explained in Richard Lindberg's article, the New York based media view the Sox as the second team from the "Second City". Pretty big hole to climb out of when it comes to national publicity.

Winning a championship.... be it Division, Pennant, WS.....will take care of some of that, but we're fooling ourselves if we think that some kid in Connecticut, Nebraska or Guam wakes up every morning and checks the box score to see how the Sox did.

Actually, I think there are quite a few Sox fans in Nebraska. The Husker football coach Bill Callahan went to Mendel HS on the S side and is a professed Sox fan. The coach of the 2003 state HS football champs wears a Sox cap & is a former S sider. I see Sox caps and jackets on kids with some regularity here. You were probably just using that as an example, so your point stands. Just wanted to set the record straight on Sox fans in Nebraska. We are here. Not all have ties to the S side. I asked a kid wearing a Sox cap if he was from Chgo & he said "No, I just like the Sox, I think they're cool." We do get some exposure on WGN Here.

Maximo
02-28-2005, 11:28 AM
Actually, I think there are quite a few Sox fans in Nebraska. The Husker football coach Bill Callahan went to Mendel HS on the S side and is a professed Sox fan. The coach of the 2003 state HS football champs wears a Sox cap & is a former S sider. I see Sox caps and jackets on kids with some regularity here. You were probably just using that as an example, so your point stands. Just wanted to set the record straight on Sox fans in Nebraska. We are here. Not all have ties to the S side. I asked a kid wearing a Sox cap if he was from Chgo & he said "No, I just like the Sox, I think they're cool." We do get some exposure on WGN Here.

Did I type in "Nebraska".......sorry, I meant "Arkansas". :D:

But you're right....my reference to Nebraska was only meant to be an example.

Go Huskers!!!

nebraskasox
02-28-2005, 12:08 PM
Did I type in "Nebraska".......sorry, I meant "Arkansas". :D:

But you're right....my reference to Nebraska was only meant to be an example.

Go Huskers!!!

Maximo, you might be surprised at the number of Sox fans in Arkansas too - especially the Springdale-Rogers-Fayetteville area in NW Arkansas. There is a huge contingent of ex-Chicagoans retired there. My mother-in-law used to live on Beaver Lake near Springdale when we lived in Tulsa. I walked down to the boat dock near her house with a Sox cap and the owner said he was also a Sox fan from the S Side. I hired a guide to go trout fishing on the White River and the guide was a Sox fan from Chgo. When I called various resorts in the Ozarks where a good friend from S. Illinois could meet halfway, one of the resort owners said, "you don't sound like you're from Oklahoma" and I said "you don't sound like you're from Arkansas". You guessed it. We were both from the S side!

I've come to the conclusion the the actual population of Chicago proper is about ten million but only about three live there at any point in time.

I still agree with your point though. I was disappointed, but not surprised, the Sox didn't get a mention on the that ESPN program.

AZChiSoxFan
02-28-2005, 12:13 PM
I'll take that bet. RJ is a freak of nature. The normal rules don't apply. He won't win 30, but he'll win 18 minumum and 22 is very possible.

I agree that he won't win 30. Kruk's 30 win prediction for RJ might be the most outlandish baseball prediction I've heard in the last 10 years. His basic reason was that the Yanks have a great offense, so RJ will win even when he pitches poorly. I'm sorry, I must have missed something. Haven't the Yanks had a great offense for like 10 years in a row now? Yet I don't think they've had a pitcher win more than 21 or 22 games during that time. Also, Let's not forget that RJ pitched for 3 division winning teams in AZ and averaged 21 wins a year during those 3 seasons. No way on earth he wins 30 games. What a joke.

SOXintheBURGH
02-28-2005, 12:15 PM
I agree that he won't win 30. Kruk's 30 win prediction for RJ might be the most outlandish baseball prediction I've heard in the last 10 years. His basic reason was that the Yanks have a great offense, so RJ will win even when he pitches poorly. I'm sorry, I must have missed something. Haven't the Yanks had a great offense for like 10 years in a row now? Yet I don't think they've had a pitcher win more than 21 or 22 games during that time. Also, Let's not forget that RJ pitched for 3 division winning teams in AZ and averaged 21 wins a year during those 3 seasons. No way on earth he wins 30 games. What a joke.

Seriously, what a joke. The guy is 42 with an aweful knee. He may be one of the five best pitchers of all time, but no one wins every single start. Give me a break.

AZChiSoxFan
02-28-2005, 12:21 PM
Maximo, you might be surprised at the number of Sox fans in Arkansas too - especially the Springdale-Rogers-Fayetteville area in NW Arkansas. There is a huge contingent of ex-Chicagoans retired there. My mother-in-law used to live on Beaver Lake near Springdale when we lived in Tulsa. I walked down to the boat dock near her house with a Sox cap and the owner said he was also a Sox fan from the S Side. I hired a guide to go trout fishing on the White River and the guide was a Sox fan from Chgo. When I called various resorts in the Ozarks where a good friend from S. Illinois could meet halfway, one of the resort owners said, "you don't sound like you're from Oklahoma" and I said "you don't sound like you're from Arkansas". You guessed it. We were both from the S side!

I agree. I lived in Rogers, Ark for a few years and whenever Danny Wright would pitch, they would show Sox highlights on the local sports and the game would get a big write-up in the local paper, due to the fact that Wright pitched in college for the Razorbacks.

Maximo
02-28-2005, 12:25 PM

I've come to the conclusion the the actual population of Chicago proper is about ten million but only about three live there at any point in time.

I still agree with your point though. I was disappointed, but not surprised, the Sox didn't get a mention on the that ESPN program.

Same with me....not surprised, but disappointed. You'd think that since it's a world wide cable network, the least they could have done for Sox fans was mention they're still in the AL Central.

You don't know anybody in Utah, do you? If not, I'll use them the next time.

nebraskasox
02-28-2005, 12:42 PM
Same with me....not surprised, but disappointed. You'd think that since it's a world wide cable network, the least they could have done for Sox fans was mention they're still in the AL Central.

You don't know anybody in Utah, do you? If not, I'll use them the next time.

Never been to Utah, so I can't comment on that. Seems like a lot of Sox fans in Texas though. When my wife & I went to see the Sox in Arlington in 84 after their successful 83 season, I dropped her off to buy tickets while I looked for parking. I asked her to get tickets on the W Sox side. She told me the ticket agent told her, "everyone's asking for tickets on the Sox side. Where are all these Sox fans coming from?"