PDA

View Full Version : Jason Johnson likely to start Opening Day

Jjav829
02-20-2005, 06:48 PM
Alan Trammell is making it sound like Jason Johnson will start Opening Day for the Tigers. Rotoworld's reaction is great, though.

It's not set in stone, but Jason Johnson will likely be Detroit's Opening Day starter for the second year in a row.
''He has the most experience,'' Trammell said. ''And I'm comfortable with what I've seen, starting with a few weeks ago in Detroit. He seems to be on a mission.'' 44-73 with a 4.95 ERA. That's the career record of the Opening Day starter of a team that believes it can contend this year.

Can you say 2004 Kansas City Royals? Remember how everyone hyped up the Royals last year but seemed to forget that they still had Brian Anderson starting Opening Day? Yeah, well, this seems like the same situation. We're going to hear a lot of talk over the next few weeks about how the Tigers are a better team than the Sox. The likes of Peter Gammons and Harold Reynolds will make outrageous predictions for the Tigers like picking them for 2nd place just to sound smart. But in the end, they still have Jason Johnson starting Opening Day and that's not a good thing.

wsoxfan
02-20-2005, 06:51 PM
I'm gonna have to agree, any team that has Jason Johnson as the opening day starter is not a contendar.

NSSoxFan
02-20-2005, 06:52 PM
"But wait! The Tigers are going to be the class of the A.L. Central." - All 'experts'

JUribe1989
02-20-2005, 07:00 PM
We all know the Tigers have no chance of contending, this just proves our point even more.

MRKARNO
02-20-2005, 07:02 PM
The concept that the Tigers can contend is an absolute joke. Just look at their roster:

SP1 Jason Johnson
SP2 Mike Maroth
SP3 Jeremy Bonderman
SP4 Nate Robertson
SP5 Wil Ledezma

The only one of those who might be above average next year is Bonderman, and he still might be a few years away from reaching the next level. This is not a good starting pitching staff. It's not terrible, but it's decidedly mediocre. To win a division with this starting staff, you'd need a great bullpen and a upper-tier offense....

CL Troy Percival
RP Ugueth Urbina
RP Kyle Farnsworth
RP Jamie Walker
RP Fernando Rodney
RP Chris Spurling

The back end of the pen might be pretty good, but it's widely expected that Uribina will be traded, so then the pen looks just OK at that point. It might be average or slightly above average, depending on Kyle Farnsworth.

C Ivan Rodriguez
1B Carlos Pena
2B Omar Infante
SS Carlos Guillen
3B Brandon Inge
RF Magglio Ordonez
CF Alex Sanchez/Curtis Granderson
LF Rondell White
DH Dmirtri Young

Obviously Ivan is pretty damn good and Carlos Guillen is also pretty good. Magglio, I think will not be good at all in Detroit and will find it very tough playing 81 games at Comerica Park. Infante, Inge, White, Pena...all fairly mediocre. Alex Sanchez I think will have an awful year and I dont think he was all that valuable to the team in the first place. I expect him to be replaced by Curtis Granderson midseason. Dmitri Young can be pretty good when he's healthy, but nothing special.

Overall I see a mediocre team here. I simply cannot see how this team can finish ahead of the White Sox. They're not like the Royals of 2003 in that they were extremely lucky and then will fall flat on their faces. They're genuinely as good as they were last year, maybe a little better, but I can't see this team improving more than 10 games to 82 wins at most. 72-75 wins again wouldnt shock me at all and a decrease might even be possible. It's a mediocre team and not a contender by any stretch of the imagination.

munchman33
02-20-2005, 07:16 PM
The concept that the Tigers can contend is an absolute joke. Just look at their roster:

SP1 Jason Johnson
SP2 Mike Maroth
SP3 Jeremy Bonderman
SP4 Nate Robertson
SP5 Wil Ledezma

The only one of those who might be above average next year is Bonderman, and he still might be a few years away from reaching the next level. This is not a good starting pitching staff. It's not terrible, but it's decidedly mediocre. To win a division with this starting staff, you'd need a great bullpen and a upper-tier offense....

CL Troy Percival
RP Ugueth Urbina
RP Kyle Farnsworth
RP Jamie Walker
RP Fernando Rodney
RP Chris Spurling

The back end of the pen might be pretty good, but it's widely expected that Uribina will be traded, so then the pen looks just OK at that point. It might be average or slightly above average, depending on Kyle Farnsworth.

C Ivan Rodriguez
1B Carlos Pena
2B Omar Infante
SS Carlos Guillen
3B Brandon Inge
RF Magglio Ordonez
CF Alex Sanchez/Curtis Granderson
LF Rondell White
DH Dmirtri Young

Obviously Ivan is pretty damn good and Carlos Guillen is also pretty good. Magglio, I think will not be good at all in Detroit and will find it very tough playing 81 games at Comerica Park. Infante, Inge, White, Pena...all fairly mediocre. Alex Sanchez I think will have an awful year and I dont think he was all that valuable to the team in the first place. I expect him to be replaced by Curtis Granderson midseason. Dmitri Young can be pretty good when he's healthy, but nothing special.

Overall I see a mediocre team here. I simply cannot see how this team can finish ahead of the White Sox. They're not like the Royals of 2003 in that they were extremely lucky and then will fall flat on their faces. They're genuinely as good as they were last year, maybe a little better, but I can't see this team improving more than 10 games to 82 wins at most. 72-75 wins again wouldnt shock me at all and a decrease might even be possible. It's a mediocre team and not a contender by any stretch of the imagination.

While I agree the Tigers will not contend, I must say Ledezma is better than you think. He'll be the ace of that staff before the All-Star break.

Jerome
02-20-2005, 08:42 PM
Clevland, Twins, and The Sox. Those are really the only teams that I think can contend for the central.

Just because the Tigers add a big name or two, everyone thinks they will win the division. They will more than likely be in fourth place by the time the season is over.

That bullpen looks pretty damn good. The starters suck though.

Farnsworth-Urbina-Percival is a nice big three to have.

California Sox
02-20-2005, 10:38 PM
While I agree the Tigers will not contend, I must say Ledezma is better than you think. He'll be the ace of that staff before the All-Star break.

I was about to post that very thing. Ledezma and Bonderman definitely have some upside and Johnson was quite tolerable last year. He was fantastic in a start I saw against the Twinkies. Maroth is Brian Anderson without the pick off move, so he's not much, but I think Los Tigres could win anywhere between 76 to 84 games. Probably fourth place, but they won't be a complete pushover like they were two years ago (against everyone but us.)

Whitesox029
02-21-2005, 01:43 AM
I'm gonna have to agree, any team that has Jason Johnson as the opening day starter is not a contendar.
Point made. The Tigers will be lucky to finish over .500 with that rotation. Anyone who picks the Sox to finish 4th (:?:) should be shot.

WhiteSoxFan84
02-21-2005, 04:35 AM

So technically, Ledezma is the tallest midget? The kid may have potential, but he won't be the ace of any staff by the All-Star break. What the hell happened to Nate Cornejo?

To keep you guys updated on the Cubs fan that wanted to make a $1,000 bet on the Tigers finishing with a better record than the White Sox; I talked to him today and he told me we'll make it official before Opening Day. I'm thinking of throwing in a clause that if 2 or more key players from either team get injured for an extended period of time (30+ days each) than the deal is void. However, I won't let him use Magglio as one of the key players because chances are he will more than likely miss 60 days on his own.

All I'm worried about is Frank being out for the whole year and maybe Konerko (God forbid) or Rowand (God forbid) or some either key hitter going down for a while. And if anyone from the rotation cracks, oh man, it would not look good. I'm pretty hopeful that the Sox will be injury free this year (after what we went through last year, we better be injury free), but who knows.

MHOUSE
02-22-2005, 03:20 AM
They need to hand Bonderman the ball on opening day. He is a stud. Ledezma looked good last year and should be great and Robertson is tough and will be good also if he can be consistent. Maroth is default top of the rotation because he's a verteran and Johnson has avoided being the fifth starter or long man because he's more seasoned and is paid more money. He's the worst pitcher in the rotation IMO.

Bonderman
Maroth
Johnson
Robertson
Ledezma

That's what they should go with.

nccwsfan
02-22-2005, 07:02 AM
Point made. The Tigers will be lucky to finish over .500 with that rotation. Anyone who picks the Sox to finish 4th (:?:) should be shot.

Unfortunately they're going to be busy in the ER, b/c that's what a number of 'pundits' are doing. The words 'Detroit Tigers' and 'contenders' should never be used in the same sentence.

Chicago & Minnesota- everyone else is filling out the schedule, and in the end the White Sox' pitching will prevail.