PDA

View Full Version : Which of the following do you think will hit 20+ Homers in 2005?

MRKARNO
02-20-2005, 03:47 PM
The 2004 White Sox hit a lot of home runs, 242 to be exact, which tied the Yankees for the major league lead. There has been much talk about how this team is going to rely less on the long ball, but I'm skeptical of that. I think we have a lot of players who can hit 20+ homers in 2005, but the question is being posed to the WSI community, who do you think will hit 20+ homers in 2005?

MUsoxfan
02-20-2005, 03:51 PM
Rowand, Dye, Crede, Uribe, Konerko, Thomas

StillMissOzzie
02-20-2005, 03:54 PM
All of them.

All of them except Iguchi, Podzilla, and AJ, that is.

SMO
:gulp:

Ol' No. 2
02-20-2005, 03:58 PM
Konerko, Rowand, Crede, Dye and Thomas/Everett will combine for at least 20 at the DH spot. Uribe is a possibility, but I think he'll come in under because Ozzie will be putting more pressure on him to raise his OBP.

DSpivack
02-20-2005, 04:58 PM
Konerko, Rowand, Everett, Thomas, Dye.

MRKARNO
02-20-2005, 05:48 PM
I say:
Thomas
Everett
Dye
Rowand
Iguchi
Crede
Uribe
Konerko

RKMeibalane
02-20-2005, 05:52 PM
Thomas, Konerko, Rowand, Dye

santo=dorf
02-20-2005, 05:58 PM
Thomas, Dye, Rowand, Konerko, AJ, Crede, Uribe, Iguchi.

AJ hit 8 homers on the road last year, so I could see him hitting at least 12 more at USCF.

MRKARNO
02-20-2005, 06:01 PM
AJ hit 8 homers on the road last year, so I could see him hitting at least 12 more at USCF.

Podsednik hit 9 on the road, which is why he was included in the poll.

santo=dorf
02-20-2005, 06:05 PM
Podsednik hit 9 on the road, which is why he was included in the poll.

Yeah but he has said he was trying to hit more homers last season, but this year he is cutting back on his swings even if he loses a power production.

yadosoxfan
02-20-2005, 06:13 PM
konerko, thomas, dye, everett, rowand, uribe, crede

i still think the sox will hit around 230 homers, with increased power at second and cather, the dropoff from the outfield won't matter...

Jjav829
02-20-2005, 06:14 PM
Paulie is a lock. Dye should hit 20 if he can avoid injuries. Rowand should hit 20 easily. I think Uribe will have another 20 HR season. I'm predicting a breakout season from Crede, and as long as he plays well enough to continue starting, he'll hit 20. Finally, I think one of Frank or Everett will hit 20, depending on Frank's health. I can see them both possibly hitting 20, but I think only one of them will.

So there's my 6: Paulie, Dye, Rowand, Uribe, Crede, Frank/Everett - based on Frank's health.

vance
02-20-2005, 06:37 PM
Kornerko should have no problem hitting 20. Thomas and Dye depend on their health. I would think Rowand would get there too. He's young and should at least match his power numbers from last season. For Everett, a lot depends on playing time. I wouldn't expect both Everett and Thomas to get that number, because one will take playing time from the other. Uribe is on the bubble. He seemed to show a little more power last season than he had previously. He could hit 20, but he's just as likely to regress. I wouldn't expect Iguchi to hit 20, but 15-18 seems likely for him and I wouldn't be surprised at 20...just don't expect it. AJ could, but is likely on 50-50 likely to reach it. I don't think Posednik will, and if he does that may not be a good thing. His struggles last season were a result of him trying to hit too many homers and not relying on his strengths.

owensmouth
02-20-2005, 08:08 PM
A bigger question still remains: how many of these home runs will be solo shots?

idseer
02-20-2005, 08:14 PM
5 people actually think podsednik will hit 20 homers this season?

Wanne
02-20-2005, 08:31 PM
I think AJ very definately will...especially with half of his at bats coming at the Cell. Crede....I hope not (and I say that with a specific reason). I hope Joe doesn't go up there with the long ball constantly on his mind and cuts down his swing for a higher average. I'm so sick of seeing this guy swinging from his heals. So...if he does...GREAT, but I'd rather see him hit for a higher average.

RKMeibalane
02-20-2005, 08:34 PM
A bigger question still remains: how many of these home runs will be solo shots?

I don't think that will be a problem anymore with the added speed at the top of the lineup. If Podsednick can get on base on a regular basis, the Sox are going to have men on base for Thomas and Konerko.

PAPChiSox729
02-20-2005, 10:10 PM

I really don't think that this will be a problem. This team has been built not to rely on the homerun. By taking out two of you best power hitters, you better not base your team around the longball. There are a lot of unproven hitters in this lineup that need to focus more on actually hitting the ball, not crushing it. But the real question will be: Can these guys actually hit?

RKMeibalane
02-20-2005, 10:13 PM
I really don't think that this will be a problem. This team has been built not to rely on the homerun. By taking out two of you best power hitters, you better not base your team around the longball. There are a lot of unproven hitters in this lineup that need to focus more on actually hitting the ball, not crushing it. But the real question will be: Can these guys actually hit?

They can hit as long as they focus on the right things. Juan Uribe has as much talent as any player in the league. His problem last season was that he started swining for the fences after having a great month of April. Joe Crede had the same problem, though his slump lasted for most of the season.

PAPChiSox729
02-20-2005, 10:52 PM
They can hit as long as they focus on the right things. Juan Uribe has as much talent as any player in the league. His problem last season was that he started swining for the fences after having a great month of April. Joe Crede had the same problem, though his slump lasted for most of the season.

I should change that 'can' to 'will'. I really do hope and think your are right. The problem with both players is pretty much mental. Uribe started to slash and swing all over the place when he was swinging for the fences. Crede, on the other hand, was very timid at the plate and had zero confidence. After all, "90% of the game is half mental."
:cool: