PDA

View Full Version : Buehrle live on FOX 32 tonight

Medford Bobby
02-20-2005, 01:59 PM
:smile: :smile: Some live SOX baseball talk on FOX 32 Final Word at 10pm CST.:D:

:cool: 5th straight day of sunshine in the great northwest!!!!!!:D:

NSSoxFan
02-20-2005, 11:14 PM
Why is Mark wearing a Cardinals hat?? I mean I know his background and everything, but come on...:?:

JUribe1989
02-20-2005, 11:16 PM
Why is Mark wearing a Cardinals hat?? I mean I know his background and everything, but come on...:?:

I'm guessing it's the whole anti-Cub aspect. I'm loving it!

JUribe1989
02-20-2005, 11:18 PM
He makes a point that I have always felt was the strongest point of our offseason was moving Jon Garland to fifth starter. 14 wins in the fifth spot would be unbelievable!

Shingotime!!
02-20-2005, 11:19 PM
That cardinals hat was killing me.

Clement's beard
02-20-2005, 11:19 PM
I'm guessing it's the whole anti-Cub aspect. I'm loving it!

Not true. If you know anything about Buehrle, you'd know he is a Cardinals fan and has expressed a desire to play there. I'm sorry, but to wear another teams hat in disgusting.

SoxxoS
02-20-2005, 11:21 PM
Wow. That is unacceptable. There are NO excuses for that, if you think it's "anti-cub" or not. Root for your team in the privacy of your own home, not on a Chicago channel getting interviewed about the team that PAYS you. Come on Mark.

Dub25
02-20-2005, 11:22 PM
Who cares what hat he is wearing as long as he shows up every 5th day and wins.

Dub25
02-20-2005, 11:23 PM
Also, the hat was backwards. It was McPherin who made a big deal out of it.

Cellview22
02-20-2005, 11:23 PM
I'm shocked..I'm glad I didn't see it. That is disgusting! :mad:

zach074
02-20-2005, 11:25 PM
Who cares what hat he is wearing as long as he shows up every 5th day and wins.

I do, I find it disrespecting to the fans in a way.

Clement's beard

Are you kidding me? If you worked for NBC TV and after work you were interviewed and you had a CBS hat on, how do you think your bosses would feel?

bmac5001
oh brother, i can't believe people are up in arms about that. get off your high horses...

NSSoxFan

I noticed it even before he said anything.

!Winning=Fung!
02-20-2005, 11:29 PM
I'm shocked..I'm glad I didn't see it. That is disgusting! :mad:

I Have 2 cardinals hats, cardinals shirt, MARLINS jersey and hat, and an Astros hat. All anti-cubs. This is along with the 6 white sox jerseys, aroung 15 hats over the years, sox pride wristband, and posters and everything.

This this mean Im not a sox fan?

Cellview22
02-20-2005, 11:30 PM
Maybe he just got a bad haircut or something, and had to cover it up at the last second.. :kukoo:

SoxxoS
02-20-2005, 11:30 PM
oh brother, i can't believe people are up in arms about that. get off your high horses...

Come on. People that work for Pepsi get fired on the spot if they are drinking coke-a-cola. Budweiser workers get fired if they are seen drinking a Miller. You don't wear competitors (yes, St. Louis is our competitor, the goal is a World Series, not a division championship) just as every team in MLB is our competitor. You don't wear competitors stuff. Period.

SoxxoS
02-20-2005, 11:31 PM
I Have 2 cardinals hats, cardinals shirt, MARLINS jersey and hat, and an Astros hat. All anti-cubs. This is along with the 6 white sox jerseys, aroung 15 hats over the years, sox pride wristband, and posters and everything.

This this mean Im not a sox fan?

You aren't a representative of the product.

Dub25
02-20-2005, 11:31 PM
I do, I find it disrespecting to the fans in a way.

Well, count me as 1 that is not offended and 1 who would rather worry about what he does on the mound this year. I'm sure Boers and Bernstein, Murph, Mac, Jurko, and Harry will blow this up tomorrow. So anyone that is offended can call in and add fuel to a fire that is not worth burning.

gobears1987
02-20-2005, 11:32 PM
:whocares
If he wore a Twins hat I'd worry.

NSSoxFan
02-20-2005, 11:33 PM
I'm not offended at all, Mark even said that if people think he wants the Cards to beat the Sox, they are crazy. One thing that I am mad about is what happens when Mark's contract is up. Who do you believe he would choose the Sox or Cardinals? That is what everyone is mad at.

Dub25
02-20-2005, 11:33 PM
Come on. People that work for Pepsi get fired on the spot if they are drinking coke-a-cola. Budweiser workers get fired if they are seen drinking a Miller. You don't wear competitors (yes, St. Louis is our competitor, the goal is a World Series, not a division championship) just as every team in MLB is our competitor. You don't wear competitors stuff. Period.

Maybe KW will show Mark the door and trade him to STL for Pujols and Edmonds. That will teach him for wearing a Cardinals hat.

JUribe1989
02-20-2005, 11:34 PM
I really don't see why this is offensive at all. It's not like he's gonna lose if we were to play the Cardinals, in fact he even said that. If it were the Twins or something it would be different, but this is a team we never play and this is also the team that the Cubs "fans" hate. I always see all the NBA players wearing other hats after the games. For example, Eddy Curry wears a Celtics hat when he leaves games. Steve Nash has been seen with a Raptors hat after games because he is from Canada. It doesn't bother me at all.

zach074
02-20-2005, 11:34 PM
Maybe KW will show Mark the door and trade him to STL for Pujols and Edmonds. That will teach him for wearing a Cardinals hat.

Shouldn't that be in deep pink?

Cellview22
02-20-2005, 11:35 PM
It could've been worse: It could've been a Cubs hat :redneck
Can you imagine..

JUribe1989
02-20-2005, 11:37 PM
Wow, you would think this thread would be 3 pages worth of what he said about the team and their future, not the clothes he was wearing.

zach074
It could've been worse: It could've been a Cubs hat :redneck
Can you imagine.. He would probably get booed on opening day if he did that.

Dub25
Shouldn't that be in deep pink?

Maybe... I don't know. Either way I wouldn't even bother to dream about it because no way in hell it would happen.

Dub25
02-20-2005, 11:41 PM
Wow, you would think this thread would be 3 pages worth of what he said about the team and their future, not the clothes he was wearing.

That's what I'm saying. He could've worn a full Cardinals uniform for all I care. Just win everytime you take the mound. Of course he would look pretty stupid wearing a Cardinal uniform while doing an interview.

NSSoxFan
02-20-2005, 11:41 PM
That's what I'm saying. He could've worn a full Cardinals uniform for all I care. Just win everytime you take the mound. Of course he would look pretty stupid wearing a Cardinal uniform while doing an interview.

What happens when free agency comes around for Mark???

Cards or Sox, hmmmmm, I wonder what Mark thinks.

Dub25
02-20-2005, 11:44 PM

He will go to the Cardinals because JR will not to give him another raise.

JUribe1989

If he gets along with the management and the players on the team like he has done so far I am sure he would choose the White Sox. Especially if the Sox follow this new team formula of speed and defense which Buehrle has said that he loves. Quit overreacting everybody he won't choose the Cardinals because he liked them as a kid. Kelly Dransfeldt was a lifelong Cubs fan until he came to the White Sox. Tanyon Sturtze was a huge Red Sox fan as a kid and he pitched for the Yankees last year.

BTW 400th post!

Cubbiesuck13
I didn't know the Cards were on our schedule. If you were able to be a starting pitcher in the majors would you still root for the Sox? I would and I would wear Sox gear.

Frank the Tank
02-20-2005, 11:46 PM

Didn't Mark just sign a contract extension not so long ago? I think he could be playing for the Cards right now if he wanted to.

zach074
02-20-2005, 11:49 PM
. Kelly Dransfeldt was a lifelong Cubs fan until he came to the White Sox. Tanyon Sturtze was a huge Red Sox fan as a kid and he pitched for the Yankees last year.

But there is a big difference between Mark and those guys, teams actually want Mark. Kelly and Tanyon didn't have much of a choice as to where they play.

guillen4life13
02-20-2005, 11:51 PM
Didn't Mark just sign a contract extension not so long ago? I think he could be playing for the Cards right now if he wanted to.

12-friggin'-3.

What did he say (not wear) in the interview?

Dub25
02-20-2005, 11:52 PM

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but he is here this year and next and there is a 2007 option.

SluggersAway
02-21-2005, 12:10 AM
I'm not too enthralled with this development. I think Buehrle should have known better. What if everyone on the team showed up for interviews with various hats? It isn't so hot for morale. In order to build a championship team you have to create team unity and an environment conducive to winning, flaunting a competitor does not help the situation.

Do you think anyone on the Patriots would have helped the team by wearing an eagles cap during the preseason?

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-21-2005, 12:18 AM
Mark Buehrle likes the cardinals, movie at 11. :rolleyes:
We all know this already, and it shouldn't be surprising. Heck, if he decides to bolt in FA to the Cardinals, at least we won't be shocked. I'm disappointed to hear that he was wearing a Cardinals cap instead of a Sox hat, but I could care less if he continues to pitch the way he has in his career. As already stated, athletes wear different team hats all the time off the playing field. I'm sure this interview was at night after the players were done with everything so he was wearing it in his free time. He could've just declined to be in an interview, which a lot of players choose to do. So now because of the kindness of Buehrle, we have 3 pages worth of posts complaining about what he was wearing, with only a few posts about what he actually said..

PAPChiSox729
02-21-2005, 12:24 AM
I'm not too enthralled with this development. I think Buehrle should have known better. What if everyone on the team showed up for interviews with various hats? It isn't so hot for morale. In order to build a championship team you have to create team unity and an environment conducive to winning, flaunting a competitor does not help the situation.

Do you think anyone on the Patriots would have helped the team by wearing an eagles cap during the preseason?

I agree that Mark should have known better. But by wearing a Cardinals hat, I really don't think it will case a divide in the clubhouse and cost the Sox a championship. Most of us here root for the Cardinals, just as Mark does, and to rebuke him for wearing something that isn't Sox is overreacting. He didn't say he hated playing here and he wanted to be traded. He just wore a hat of a team that he's rooted for since childhood. If he gives 100% on the mound (even against the Cards), I could care less what he wears off the field. It was a dumb thing for him to do, but please, it's just a hat, and he is our best pitcher.

CubsfansareDRUNK
02-21-2005, 12:26 AM
For some reason i think this thread might end up in the ****house. But, oh well. We just have to get over it. The cardinals are indeed indirect competition so that doesnt help. SoxxoS brought up some good points. This team really does need to show loyalty to eachother and for some reason the fact that the buerle wearing a hat from another team just angers me. Come on Mark!!! and PapChisox, you know who you'd choose if it was Cards vs Sox. We can root for other teams all we want but its what it comes down to

PAPChiSox729
02-21-2005, 12:34 AM
and PapChisox, you know who you'd choose if it was Cards vs Sox. We can root for other teams all we want but its what it comes down to

Well, if we were playing against the Cardinals, then I would be pretty upset. But until we meet the Cards in the Series, he can wear a Cardinals hat every day after he leaves the game as long as he is performing on the field. I don't think that Mark would intentionally blow a game if we indeed do face the Cardinals. He hopefully wants to win more then he wants to see the Cardinals win.

Clement's beard
02-21-2005, 12:37 AM
Mark Buehrle plays for the Sox, not the Cardinals. When I played sports, every other team was the enemy. I certainly would not be wearing another teams colors.

Gosox1917
02-21-2005, 12:46 AM
Once the season starts, I hope that he is wearing only Sox clothing. He grew up a Cards fan and if he wants to wear a Cards hat then fine. No big deal, IMO. If he leaves us for the Cardinals when his contract is up, I would be dissapointed, but it would be understandable. If any of you were a big league pticher, wouldn't you want to play for the Sox if you were able to seeing as your all Sox fans? Now, I know, he should be concerned about his own team and thats true, but I don't think that will be a factor with Buehrle. We've seen him compete and want to win. He is the captain of this team and will do whatever it takes to win. Everybody should chillax and get ready for Mark to put up some great numbers this year.

CubKilla
02-21-2005, 12:58 AM

Thank you. You'll need to get a life.

CubKilla
02-21-2005, 01:02 AM

Oh dammmmmnnnnn.

You're right.

MB's gone first chance. I don't blame him either.

CubKilla
02-21-2005, 01:05 AM
Think of it this way..... if you're a Cardinals fan and couldn't be a Cardinal player, what team better to play for than the White Sox?

MB will be a Cardinal one day. FWIW.

DumpJerry
02-21-2005, 01:09 AM
Come on guys, take a deep breath. Mark signed an extension with us when he could have easily played out the contract so that he could have signed as a FA with the Cards.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a Cub player from the area who was a Sox fan growing up? Similar situation. Unless you're Randy Johnson and the owner of the team you want to play for is fool enough to bet the farm on you, you play for the team(s) that want you, you don't pick the team you play for.

TDog
02-21-2005, 01:22 AM

Or maybe MB won't get a pay raise because he'll turn town a huge long-term offer from JR, as he did a couple of springs ago.

It's a little ironic that the Sox' top pitcher grew up a Cards fan while the Cards' new stud starter grew up a Sox fan.

shoota
02-21-2005, 01:33 AM
Mark's always been honest about being a Cardinals fan. As far as I've seen--including tonight's interview with Corey McPherrin--his like for the Cards never has interfered with his play or respect for the White Sox.

The White Sox and Cardinals fans have a unique bond of both rivaling and cheering for the failure of the Cubs. The Sox don't play the Cardinals, but they do play the Cubs six times a year. Mark's background probably makes him want to succeed even more in those games versus the Cubs. I'm happy that we have one player who possesses the desire to beat the Cubs as much as we do.

As a baseball fan, I can't find fault with Buehrle continuing to be a fan of the Cardinals. The Cards will always be #1 in his heart, but I bet the White Sox are his second favorite team.

HomeFish
02-21-2005, 01:34 AM
I wonder if the people who say "the Cardinals are our competitors" are the same people who respond to anti-Cub posts with "they're not even in our league!". If that's you, reflect a little on what you're saying.

Anyway, I don't see the big deal. As I write this, there is a Cardinals hat on my desk, and, on days when the Cards were playing that north side ballclub, I've even worn it to Sox games while wearing a Sox jersey, so people would know that I was rooting for not just one team, but two.

What I think the big deal is, what I think a huge deal is, is the fact that so far there has been not a single word about what actually was said in the interview. What gives?

JUribe1989
02-21-2005, 02:40 AM
Here's what he said
-Excited about new speed, defense look
-Think Jon Garland at fifth starter is huge
-Had a very soft voice most of the interview, didn't really speak up
-Thinks he might take an innings diet with the new bullpen
-McPherrin flattered him with some of his stats
-McPherrin made mention of his Cardinals hat
-Mark said if anyone thinks he would let the White Sox lose to the Cardinals, they're crazy!

RedPinStripes
02-21-2005, 06:30 AM

Ever think that Mark likes to mess with people? He knows Sox fans will freak out if he wears anything red. He is quite the prankster.

jortafan
02-21-2005, 08:10 AM
Here's what he said
-Excited about new speed, defense look
-Think Jon Garland at fifth starter is huge
-Had a very soft voice most of the interview, didn't really speak up
-Thinks he might take an innings diet with the new bullpen
-McPherrin flattered him with some of his stats
-McPherrin made mention of his Cardinals hat
-Mark said if anyone thinks he would let the White Sox lose to the Cardinals, they're crazy!

Thank you for coming up with some details (finally!) about what was actually said.

This Cardinals cap poop is getting old.

Does anyone seriously expect that the ballplayers are hard-core fans of the team. They're professional players who give their best (if they want to get good money) for whatever team they are with at the moment.

Besides, if we only allowed Sox fans to play for the Sox, our team would have nothing more than 25 versions of Josh Paul.

Iguana775
02-21-2005, 09:08 AM
Wow. That is unacceptable. There are NO excuses for that, if you think it's "anti-cub" or not. Root for your team in the privacy of your own home, not on a Chicago channel getting interviewed about the team that PAYS you. Come on Mark.

*****. you see players all the damn time wearing jerseys or hat of other teams. *** is this a big deal. he pitches for the Sox. so what if his favorite team is the Cards when he grew up or whatever. he is a professional and just because he likes the Cards, doesnt mean jack freaking crap.

maybe someone sould check to see if he had Cards underwear.

there are more important things to worry about than a freaking hat. how about beating the Twins? damn, the Cards arent even in the same division. and i guarentee you if by some miracle the Sox and Cards met in the WS, Burly would do his best Cy Young impression to beat them.

DC Sox Fan
02-21-2005, 09:29 AM
Besides, if we only allowed Sox fans to play for the Sox, our team would have nothing more than 25 versions of Josh Paul

Not so fast, my friend! We could also add The Orioles' Larry Bigbie to that "all-sox-fan" team. He grew up in Indiana and wears #3 in honor of his favorite player growing up, Harold Baines.

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player_career.jsp?player_id=406933

gosox41
02-21-2005, 10:19 AM

I noticed it right away. I saw the red had with the MLB logo and I said to my buddy that it better be an old Sox hat because he is not dumb enough to go on TV in Chicago as a member of the Sox with a Cards hat.

I guess that he is.

Bob

02-21-2005, 11:44 AM
If I were to make the majors and get put on the Cards, I would not hide my love for the Sox. He has never hid his love for them, he grew up loving them, but I think we can all agree that his numbers speak for themselves. I can the case to be made that it was a bad move, but I have to vote with I could care less. Now if they meet in the WS and he obvioulsy tanks it, then that sucks!

Medford Bobby
02-21-2005, 11:45 AM
:?: OK, here's whats gonna happen with Buehrle, he will have a couple 20 plus game season, toss in a CY Young or two, take the Sox to the playoffs and World Series, leave a free agent like Pedro left the Red Sox and sign some huge contract with the Cardinals and get caught with a variety of drugs down at the border:angry:

It's called the Lamar Hoyt syndrome...and it will happen again:whiner:

TheBull19
02-21-2005, 11:52 AM
Mark Buehrle plays for the Sox, not the Cardinals. When I played sports, every other team was the enemy. I certainly would not be wearing another teams colors.

Yep - I'll join the list of those this disturbs

lths06
02-21-2005, 11:53 AM
Perhaps Mark lost a bet made in the clubhouse to wear the hat?:?:

SoxxoS
02-21-2005, 01:17 PM
*****. you see players all the damn time wearing jerseys or hat of other teams. *** is this a big deal. he pitches for the Sox. so what if his favorite team is the Cards when he grew up or whatever. he is a professional and just because he likes the Cards, doesnt mean jack freaking crap.

maybe someone sould check to see if he had Cards underwear.

there are more important things to worry about than a freaking hat. how about beating the Twins? damn, the Cards arent even in the same division. and i guarentee you if by some miracle the Sox and Cards met in the WS, Burly would do his best Cy Young impression to beat them.

Name me five players that wear jerseys or hats "all the damn time" b/c I can't think of one. Maybe you are confusing "players" with "rappers."

He can like the Cards I have no problem with that. But as a representative of the White Sox organization (this is the same thing as a Pepsi worker drinking Coca-Cola) he needs to represent the White Sox.

I think when we played/will play the Cardinals, Buerhle is definitely not going to throw the games or anything, but he has become too outspoken on this issue and wearing a hat on Chicago TV is stupid and retarded. Keep it to yourself, Mark.

California Sox
02-21-2005, 02:16 PM
People need to relax. Players never wear gear from their own teams when out in public. A) It's not considered cool. B) It's swag from work and who wants to wear that in your leisure hours. Maybe three years from now Buehrle will go to the Cards. Maybe not. Hey, look at the bright side, now we know that B-mac grew up a Sox fan, so he'll be staying.

SpammySosa
02-21-2005, 07:39 PM
Hey, look at the bright side, now we know that B-mac grew up a Sox fan, so he'll be staying.

Until KW trades him for......

:ralomar:

Vestigio
02-21-2005, 08:07 PM
I dont know what the big deal is either :dunno: . Yeah it was a poor decision on his part, but Sox fans already knew that he was a life-long Cards fan for a while now.

This has been brought up already, but if you were signed by the Cards or any other NL team, would you be wearing the team's hat that you are playing for before/after a game, eventhough you are/were an avid Sox fan?

IMO, wearing a different teams hat does not deminish team unity your teammates know that your a fan of a different ballclub.

Medford Bobby
02-21-2005, 09:15 PM
:o: Now that I think about it, I always liked the blue road cap of the Cards...........NOW that would have been cool if Mark had worn that cap........:redneck

ok, ok, the Sunday cap is cool too.....:?:

Alright.......... if he had worn a Nationals "W" cap, then may be I'd worry..........:mad:

gobears1987
02-21-2005, 11:15 PM
This thread ought to go to the ****house.

manuelsucks
02-21-2005, 11:38 PM
I'm surprised no one has quoted this (http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/wisn/20050214/lo_wisn/2581949) story.

The battle of the beers took a new twist in Racine this week when a Miller beer distributor fired an employee whose picture was in the paper. He was drinking a Bud Light.
People making a big deal over this are like the people at Miller who fired this guy.

Buehrle wearing wearing a hat is the last of my worries. Is he going to give it his all while on the mound? That is all I care about. I really think he does. And he's obviously been a Cardinals fan his whole life, so big deal he wore the hat. We know he is a phenomenal pitcher and will continue to be that way barring some injury. To suggest he is going to lose a game or break the team unity because he wore a Cardinals hat is ridiculous.

maurice
02-22-2005, 03:16 PM
It's a low-class move, and MB has been doing this sort of thing for awhile. I understand the way he feels, but he should keep it to himself. It's irritating, but we'll all get over it, because he's one of the best pitchers in the game.