PDA

View Full Version : Rowand May Start in LF

Fredsox
02-20-2005, 07:06 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-doug20.html

After saying this offseason that he was leaning toward keeping Aaron Rowand in center field this season, Guillen now seems prepared to move Rowand to left and have Scott Podsednik play center, his natural position. "When you play center and you play like Aaron, you have a good chance of getting hurt,'' Guillen said. "Every time you dive for the ball or go to the wall, I don't want him missing any playing time.''

Things change and this really isn't surprising to me give how Ozzie tends to talk first and think later. We're only a couple of days into Spring Training and Guillen hasn't seen much of Podsednik to do a real comparison. He's got to put the team in the best postion to win, generally you put your fastest guy in CF to cover the gaps.

Jabroni
02-20-2005, 08:11 AM
I was actually thinking the same thing as Ozzie. There's a reason Rowand is nicknamed "Crash." :tongue: I would hate to see him get injured. He is going to have a huge year for us.

Fake Chet Lemon
02-20-2005, 09:18 AM
Moving Rowand to Left ONLY because of fear of injury seems very paranoid and dumb. You know Murphy's Law, he'll probably get hurt in Left! But I hate to WASTE HIS ARM in Left. Should Dye go to Left and Rowand to Right, or does Dye have a better arm than Rowand????

Jabroni
02-20-2005, 09:23 AM
Moving Rowand to Left ONLY because of fear of injury seems very paranoid and dumb. You know Murphy's Law, he'll probably get hurt in Left! But I hate to WASTE HIS ARM in Left. Should Dye go to Left and Rowand to Right, or does Dye have a better arm than Rowand????Dye has a great arm. He won an A.L. Gold Glove in 2000. Dye should be in RF.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/scouting?statsId=5610
Baserunning & Defense
Long-legged, Dye always has been blessed with very good speed, though knee injuries over the past couple of years have slowed him. The four bases he stole last year were more than the two previous seasons combined, and he also banged four triples, more than his total over the previous three seasons combined. So the afterburners can be accessed. Similarly, he does cover right field very well and has a terrific arm.

gobears1987
02-20-2005, 10:10 AM
I like this move very much. Pods is the fastest man in the OF and you want your fastest guy in Center. ARow will be good in left and Dye is fine in right.

SEALgep
02-20-2005, 10:27 AM
Moving Rowand to Left ONLY because of fear of injury seems very paranoid and dumb. You know Murphy's Law, he'll probably get hurt in Left! But I hate to WASTE HIS ARM in Left. Should Dye go to Left and Rowand to Right, or does Dye have a better arm than Rowand????It's not really wasting his arm if he is in LF. He'll get plenty of opportunities there to throw out potential advancing runners. I would like to have a strong arm in CF too, but this does make sense, providing Rowand is down with it.

johnny_mostil
02-20-2005, 10:30 AM
It's not really wasting his arm if he is in LF. He'll get plenty of opportunities there to throw out potential advancing runners. I would like to have a strong arm in CF too, but this does make sense, providing Rowand is down with it.

Does anyone else see the irony of the White Sox puzzling over which of their center fielders to play in left? (Rather than the other way around?)

SEALgep
02-20-2005, 10:40 AM
Does anyone else see the irony of the White Sox puzzling over which of their center fielders to play in left? (Rather than the other way around?)It's certainly better to have that problem than the other way around, you are absolutely right.

Rocklive99
02-20-2005, 11:05 AM
I like this move very much. Pods is the fastest man in the OF and you want your fastest guy in Center. ARow will be good in left and Dye is fine in right.

Same here for same exact reasons.

Brian26
02-20-2005, 11:19 AM
I don't mind the move at all. Rowand should take it as a compliment. He's got a great bat- big enough to be a corner outfielder bopper now.

SOXintheBURGH
02-20-2005, 11:21 AM
I don't mind the move at all. Rowand should take it as a compliment. He's got a great bat- big enough to be a corner outfielder bopper now.

Agreed.. I think he'll appreciate the switch as a vote of confidence.

Mingo
02-20-2005, 11:42 AM
Not that this should matter, but Rowand would have a much easier time becoming an All-Star at CF than in Left - too bad about that. Play the best defensive guy at CF and the other guy in Left and I'm happy.

JUribe1989
02-20-2005, 12:29 PM
This is a good move because Podsednik may not be used to the corners at US Cellular Field and because it is not his natural position he could go crashing in to the wall or something. He's a natural centerfielder, and with Rowand in left instead of Lee everyone will be a lot happier.

Fredsox
02-20-2005, 12:33 PM
I think one of the keys here is that Ozzie has not made up his mind yet. He's gonna wanna see them both play LF and CF, along with Dye in RF, and decide which arrangement provides the Sox the best chance to win.

TheBull19
02-20-2005, 12:35 PM
Moving Rowand to Left ONLY because of fear of injury seems very paranoid and dumb. You know Murphy's Law, he'll probably get hurt in Left!

I would think he'd be more likely to get hurt in left, myself, with the wall in foul territory he would have to deal with.

Lip Man 1
02-20-2005, 01:30 PM
As Daver has pointed out in the past, Rowand is not a good natural defensive center fielder. he gets bad or late jumps and seems to have difficultly tracking balls into the gaps. I think this is a good move.

If you are talking about defensively improving your team you don't put your best defensive center fielder in left where he has never played before just so an average defensive center fielder can stay there.

Plus with less ground and responsibility in left, Rowand may find that translates into more improvement offensively as well.

Lip

SEALgep
02-20-2005, 02:02 PM
As Daver has pointed out in the past, Rowand is not a good natural defensive center fielder. he gets bad or late jumps and seems to have difficultly tracking balls into the gaps. I think this is a good move.

If you are talking about defensively improving your team you don't put your best defensive center fielder in left where he has never played before just so an average defensive center fielder can stay there.

Plus with less ground and responsibility in left, Rowand may find that translates into more improvement offensively as well.

LipRowand is a very good CF.

Ol' No. 2
02-20-2005, 02:15 PM

LipFrom everything I've read, I wouldn't say Podsednik is a better defensive CF than Rowand. Rowand came up as a RF, but switched to CF because the Sox had Ordonez in RF and he was blocked there. Since then he'd turned himself into a pretty good CF.

It's hard to know what will work until you try it, and I would assume Ozzie will try various combinations in ST and even the first month of the season to see what works best. I'm pretty sure that's all his most recent comments mean. Let's not overreact.

MRKARNO
02-20-2005, 02:19 PM
Rowand is probably the better CFer, but Podsednik is pretty good as well, so while I'd rather see Rowand in center, if it means keeping him healthy then I can deal with excellent LF defense from Rowand and darned good CF defense from Podsednik. Rowand will probably call off Podsednik a lot anyways.

Rowand's offense definitely warrents him being a corner outfielder as well.

Dadawg_77
02-20-2005, 02:26 PM
Here is the worst thing about this move. I think Pods is going to fall flat on his face and thus need to move to being a fourth outfielder. Because of who is on the bench, I think Ozzie is going to be much more reluctant to move Pods out of center for a Timo or moving back Rowand then moving him out of left for Everet

Fake Chet Lemon
02-20-2005, 03:54 PM
I've heard talk that the Cell is one of the MOST difficult parks to judge wind currents in, with the lake near by. The roof change last year made it even more difficult. In addition, Pods has to learn a whole new league of hitters. Let's keep Rowand and all that experience in Center. Let Pods learn on the job in Left, he'll have an easier time. Let's not stress the new guy on defense, he NEEDS TO concentrate on offense and sparking the lineup.

A. Cavatica
02-20-2005, 05:49 PM
But I hate to WASTE HIS ARM in Left.

Bingo. When Ozzie says things like this it makes me very, very nervous. You don't put Podsednik in center, just because he's faster, when you've got a CF with fine range and a good arm. A flychaser with a poor arm makes a better LF. Remember Rickey? Raines?

And that mention of Uribe as a potential leadoff hitter...don't get me started.

MHOUSE
02-20-2005, 06:52 PM
You can't shouldn't do things based on the threat of injuries. Torii Hunter could get hurt everytime he goes up the wall or dives on the turf, but they don't make him the DH. Rowand has a better arm and is a better defensive center-fielder. Podsednik's weak arm and tendency for balls going over his head should put him in left (example: Shannon Stewart). It seems like the CF job should be Rowand's to lose.

I want Mags back
02-20-2005, 07:06 PM
I was actually thinking the same thing as Ozzie. There's a reason Rowand is nicknamed "Crash." :tongue: I would hate to see him get injured. He is going to have a huge year for us.

Is really on the cover of MVP

That would kick ass

Brian26
02-20-2005, 07:35 PM
I think Pods is going to fall flat on his face

This is my worst fear about the upcoming season (moreso than Crede, the health of El Duque over the long haul, Shingo, Frank's health or anything else).

Chisox003
02-20-2005, 08:00 PM
This is my worst fear about the upcoming season (moreso than Crede, the health of El Duque over the long haul, Shingo, Frank's health or anything else).

Podsednik is the MAIN key to this offense...He'll make it go, provided he gets on and runs wild on the bases...

This is exactly what KW was looking for, a guy who can get on and prevent a base to base/HR mashing offense....

If Speed Racer is clickin, the offense is clickin....Its an absolute must that he has a good year, no doubt

SOXintheBURGH
02-20-2005, 08:21 PM
Is really on the cover of MVP

That would kick ass

That would kick arse, but no; Manny from the Red Cubs has it I think.

duke of dorwood
02-20-2005, 09:23 PM
Its so simple

Pods throws left-Aaron throws right

Aaron will play left

Lip Man 1
02-20-2005, 09:34 PM
Sealgap says:

Rowand is a very good CF.

Can you please elaborate?

Lip

Dadawg_77
02-20-2005, 10:12 PM
Podsednik is the MAIN key to this offense...He'll make it go, provided he gets on and runs wild on the bases...

This is exactly what KW was looking for, a guy who can get on and prevent a base to base/HR mashing offense....

If Speed Racer is clickin, the offense is clickin....Its an absolute must that he has a good year, no doubt

The problem is Pods has never shown he can take a walk thus he has a great chance to put up a low OBP. He is 28 and needs to still prove he can produce in the majors year after year, not a good sign.

MRKARNO
02-20-2005, 10:38 PM
The problem is Pods has never shown he can take a walk thus he has a great chance to put up a low OBP. He is 28 and needs to still prove he can produce in the majors year after year, not a good sign.

Podsednik's 2003 and 2004 Home/Road splits:

2003:
AB 288/270
AVG .326/.302
OBP .356/.403
SB 20/23
BB 23/33
K 48/43

2004:
AB 319/321
AVG .213/.274
OBP .297/.330
SB 30/40
BB 35/23
K 65/40

Podsednik hits like crap at Miller Park and a move away from there should produce favorable results (unless he hits like crap at the Cell too) in 2005. This is why I have high hopes for him. If he splits the difference between the Road OBPs then he's at .365-.370, more than respectable and thus exceeding the expectations that most have for him.

Dadawg_77
02-21-2005, 10:01 AM
Podsednik's 2003 and 2004 Home/Road splits:

2003:
AB 288/270
AVG .326/.302
OBP .356/.403
SB 20/23
BB 23/33
K 48/43

2004:
AB 319/321
AVG .213/.274
OBP .297/.330
SB 30/40
BB 35/23
K 65/40

Podsednik hits like crap at Miller Park and a move away from there should produce favorable results (unless he hits like crap at the Cell too) in 2005. This is why I have high hopes for him. If he splits the difference between the Road OBPs then he's at .365-.370, more than respectable and thus exceeding the expectations that most have for him.

2004 is more in line with his minor league numbers, so I would wieght more then his 2003 preformance. I am not sure how wieght to put into home/road split because of sampling size and Miller is a pitchers park when it comes to HR and hits, but a hitters park to 2B, 3B, BB.

johnny_mostil
02-21-2005, 10:04 AM

Come on, he's not Ozzie Guillen. He walks about once every 3 games, which is pretty much average. He'll post an OBP about 60 points over his BAVG.

johnny_mostil
02-21-2005, 10:06 AM
Podsednik hits like crap at Miller Park and a move away from there should produce favorable results (unless he hits like crap at the Cell too) in 2005.

But virtually nobody 'hits like crap' at the Cell unless they can't hit at all.

Podsednik is a temp until Anderson arrives.

Flight #24
02-21-2005, 10:32 AM
It's hard to know what will work until you try it, and I would assume Ozzie will try various combinations in ST and even the first month of the season to see what works best. I'm pretty sure that's all his most recent comments mean. Let's not overreact.

What are you trying to do - cut post volumes by 50-70%?:tongue:

Ol' No. 2
02-21-2005, 12:33 PM
What are you trying to do - cut post volumes by 50-70%?:tongue:You say that like it's a bad thing.:tongue:

gosox3072
02-21-2005, 02:26 PM
I would think he'd be more likely to get hurt in left, myself, with the wall in foul territory he would have to deal with.

Anyone feel a derek Jeteresk dive into the left feild crowd coming anytime soon?

Chisox003
02-21-2005, 02:29 PM
Anyone feel a derek Jeteresk dive into the left feild crowd coming anytime soon?

Yes....

And when it happens, Im sure Sportscenter will play it over and over and over and over just like their poster boy Jeter's catch too...

Dadawg_77
02-21-2005, 03:52 PM
Come on, he's not Ozzie Guillen. He walks about once every 3 games, which is pretty much average. He'll post an OBP about 60 points over his BAVG.

MLB saw walks on 8.6% of PA, Scott walked in 8.1% of his plate appearance. That is below average especially for someone who main weapon is speed, where they have to get on base to use it. If he raised his walk rate to 10%, it would have increased his OBP by 10%,

Ol' No. 2
02-21-2005, 03:59 PM
MLB saw walks on 8.6% of PA, Scott walked in 8.1% of his plate appearance. That is below average especially for someone who main weapon is speed, where they have to get on base to use it. If he raised his walk rate to 10%, it would have increased his OBP by 10%,But he was at 9.1% in 2003. Isn't the ability to draw walks supposed to be a fundamental skill? He didn't suddenly lose that ability last year. But if he became less patient with poorer hitters behind him, wouldn't you expect him to return to that level with the Sox lineup?

Dadawg_77
02-21-2005, 04:24 PM
But he was at 9.1% in 2003. Isn't the ability to draw walks supposed to be a fundamental skill? He didn't suddenly lose that ability last year. But if he became less patient with poorer hitters behind him, wouldn't you expect him to return to that level with the Sox lineup?

No, 2003 looks to be his career year. Looking in minors doesn't show him producing numbers like 2003 again.

SoxxoS
02-21-2005, 04:33 PM
No, 2003 looks to be his career year. Looking in minors doesn't show him producing numbers like 2003 again.

His career OBP in the minors was .343 so I would like to assume that is where he is going to be this year...

If you google Podsednik, one of the articles states that he has been majorly injury plagued for the majority of his time in the minors...which is kind of nice to read...but then you read this: (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/brew/aug04/249967.asp)

In short, he has a mental meltdown.

Milwaukee Brewers centerfielder Scott Podsednik knows the feeling. After a brilliant rookie year in which he did little wrong en route to a .314 batting average, he feels the 2004 season slipping away from him.

And he's not sure what to do about it.

"I have no explanations," said Podsednik, who will take a .252 batting average into the opener of the Brewers' three-game series in Atlanta tonight.

"It's something I really can't explain. Night after night, the bad at-bats have piled up, and I really have no answer for it."

Not that Podsednik hasn't tried to figure it out. A "grinder" who pushes the accelerator even harder when things aren't going well, he can be his own worst enemy. He often snaps after bad at-bats, struggling to control his emotions.

Ol' No. 2
02-21-2005, 04:37 PM
No, 2003 looks to be his career year. Looking in minors doesn't show him producing numbers like 2003 again.You're dodging the question. The ability to take walks is supposed to be one of those fundamental skills that players either have or don't have. You don't just lose it from one year to the next. In fact, his #PIT/PA was virtually identical in 2003 and 2004.

Dadawg_77
02-21-2005, 04:43 PM
His career OBP in the minors was .343 so I would like to assume that is where he is going to be this year...

If you google Podsednik, one of the articles states that he has been majorly injury plagued for the majority of his time in the minors...which is kind of nice to read...but then you read this: (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/brew/aug04/249967.asp)

You have to factor in his age and park when looking at his minor numbers. He spent good amount of time in the PCL, which is a hitter's league. Also he was old for levels when he produce there.

Dadawg_77
02-21-2005, 04:45 PM
You're dodging the question. The ability to take walks is supposed to be one of those fundamental skills that players either have or don't have. You don't just lose it from one year to the next. In fact, his #PIT/PA was virtually identical in 2003 and 2004.

I didn't dodge it, I answered by trying to show he lucky in 2003.

MRKARNO
02-21-2005, 04:45 PM
If Podsednik doesn't walk a lot, then his OBP will be more dependent on a good batting average. Now this doesnt mean that he will be inherently bad, it just means that his OBP is less stable and more dependent upon hits. If you can hit well, it's not a bad thing, but Podsednik is inconsistant. I stand behind my theory that Miller Park affected his hitting for the worse for some reason and getting out of there will help him out.

Ol' No. 2
02-21-2005, 04:54 PM
I didn't dodge it, I answered by trying to show he lucky in 2003.You're ASSUMING it was luck. BA is partially luck. SLG is partially luck. The abilty to draw walks is supposed to be one of those things that is not luck, but a fundamental abilty. If he had it in 2003, tell me why he won't have it in 2005.

MRKARNO
02-21-2005, 05:03 PM
You're ASSUMING it was luck. BA is partially luck. SLG is partially luck. The abilty to draw walks is supposed to be one of those things that is not luck, but a fundamental abilty. If he had it in 2003, tell me why he won't have it in 2005.

He didn't have a great ability to draw walks in either year, but last year his AVG just absolutely sunk, thus his OBP sunk. When your AVG goes down 70 points, it's only logical that your OBP would also fall by 66 points. He's not exactly the worst at drawing walks either. He was 29th among OFers for drawing walks in 2004.

maurice
02-22-2005, 02:01 PM
In an effort to un-'jack this thread . . .

Guillen still is hesitant to move Aaron Rowand from center field, if for no other reason than he believes he had the second-best defensive center fielder in the American League last season. "If it wasn't for Mr. [Torii] Hunter, [Rowand] should have won the Gold Glove,'' Guillen said. The Sox are considering whether to move Rowand to left field and have the speedy Scott Podsednik play center.

Linky (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-doug22.html)