PDA

View Full Version : Ken Rosenthal on Iguchi and El Duque, great news!

Jabroni
02-20-2005, 05:01 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/3407744A rival executive who scouted White Sox 2B Tadahito Iguchi in Japan predicts that Iguchi will bat .290, hit 15 to 18 homers and play above-average defense. G.M. Ken Williams prefers to deflect talk of numbers, but says, "Is he going to hit close to .300? More than likely. Will he have a high on-base percentage? I believe so. Will he hit the ball out of the ballpark, drive in runs, steal bases and play good defense? Yes. He's got the complete package."

Iguchi will face the same defensive transition coming from Japan as the Mets' Kaz Matsui did last season, but the executive says he'll benefit from the stellar work of Roger Bossard, the White Sox's groundskeeper. "He'll get the truest outs in the game at home," the exec says. ...

Here's Williams on his newest addition to the rotation, RHP Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez: "We've got 60 players in camp. Half are right around 25. This guy is 35, and he comes into camp as the best physical specimen we have. The doctors keep raving about the what kind of shape he's in."I love those projected numbers for Iguchi, by a rival scout! :bandance:

Yeah Kenny, El Duque is only 35 years old. :tongue:

itsnotrequired
02-20-2005, 09:25 AM
Here's Williams on his newest addition to the rotation, RHP Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez: "We've got 60 players in camp. Half are right around 25. This guy is 35, and he comes into camp as the best physical specimen we have. The doctors keep raving about the what kind of shape he's in." (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/3407744).

Awesome news.:smile:

MRKARNO
02-20-2005, 10:18 AM
I predict .295 AVG, .370 OBP, 20 HR, 25 SB for Iguchi. I'm a little more optimistic about his power than some, but I think he was really undervalued by the other 29 ML teams. I think he'll probably be among the top 3 AL second basemen (a very weak AL position) behind Soriano and maybe Boone if he can get his act together again. The only issue is how long his transition period is. If it's too long, then those numbes might be depressed a bit. My main reason for my optimism offensively is that he is one of the first players coming over from Japan of his calibur who played his home games at a pitchers' park. If Hideki played at a park similar to US Cellular Field (the Tokyo Dome), then Iguchi played at a stadium similar to Pro Player in Florida. The difference is that big and a lot of the people who have made projections based on the other guys that have come over have failed to account for this.

SEALgep
02-20-2005, 10:25 AM
I predict .295 AVG, .370 OBP, 20 HR, 25 SB for Iguchi. I'm a little more optimistic about his power than some, but I think he was really undervalued by the other 29 ML teams. I think he'll probably be among the top 3 AL second basemen (a very weak AL position) behind Soriano and maybe Boone if he can get his act together again. The only issue is how long his transition period is. If it's too long, then those numbes might be depressed a bit. My main reason for my optimism offensively is that he is one of the first players coming over from Japan of his calibur who played his home games at a pitchers' park. If Hideki played at a park similar to US Cellular Field (the Tokyo Dome), then Iguchi played at a stadium similar to Pro Player in Florida. The difference is that big and a lot of the people who have made projections based on the other guys that have come over have failed to account for this.Good point.

johnny_mostil
02-20-2005, 10:37 AM
I predict .295 AVG, .370 OBP, 20 HR, 25 SB for Iguchi. I'm a little more optimistic about his power than some, but I think he was really undervalued by the other 29 ML teams. I think he'll probably be among the top 3 AL second basemen (a very weak AL position) behind Soriano and maybe Boone if he can get his act together again.

There's a pretty good chance Soriano gets traded to the Astros (I live in Dallas and the rumors are rampant), he's a butcher at 2B anyway, and 45 points of OBP is worth way more than 8 home runs.

Couple that with the rumors that Boone's a juicer and at 36 it's likely his act is no longer together just because he's jumped the career shark.

The numbers you quote would make Tad the best 2B in the league. I don't think he can do it but if he does, I'll be doing the dancing banana.

Mohoney
02-20-2005, 11:00 AM
There's a pretty good chance Soriano gets traded to the Astros (I live in Dallas and the rumors are rampant), he's a butcher at 2B anyway, and 45 points of OBP is worth way more than 8 home runs.

Couple that with the rumors that Boone's a juicer and at 36 it's likely his act is no longer together just because he's jumped the career shark.

The numbers you quote would make Tad the best 2B in the league. I don't think he can do it but if he does, I'll be doing the dancing banana.

If Iguchi has a .370 OBP going in June, he should be an All Star.

I guess that's one good thing about the Red Cubs beating the Yankees. Joe Torre won't load the team with his own guys.

Brian26
02-20-2005, 11:27 AM
Awesome news.:smile:

Absolutely! Can't wait for the season to start!

DumpJerry
02-20-2005, 11:30 AM
Enough of the predictions. We already know who will be the 25 to come north. Seriously. So, having said that:

BRING IT ON!:supernana:
BTW, loved the comments about B. McCarthy in today's Cubune. Can't wait to see him in the pinstripes!

pearso66
02-20-2005, 11:57 AM
If Iguchi has a .370 OBP going in June, he should be an All Star.

I guess that's one good thing about the Red Cubs beating the Yankees. Joe Torre won't load the team with his own guys.

Heck with the way they vote over in Japan, he may be an allstar without ever making a plate appearance yet. We saw it happen with Ichiro, granted, he deserved it, but you get the point.

TheBull19
02-20-2005, 12:38 PM

No, Francona will

PAPChiSox729
02-20-2005, 09:42 PM
I am very excited about having Iguchi. Then again, I was a very big Willie Harris supporter, but if Iguchi plays anywhere near the level he played in Japan, we have a legitimate 2nd baseman for the first time in a while.
:smile:

SOX ADDICT '73
02-20-2005, 09:56 PM
No, Francona will
It doesn't seem that Terry Francona has an axe to grind against the White Sox the way Joe Torre apparently does.

The Racehorse
02-20-2005, 10:09 PM
Is there any motive for a GM to "talk up" some other teams player(s)? While it's nice to hear the raves regarding Iguchi & El Duque, I'm trying think what an opposing GM has to gain. Maybe I'm thinking too hard?

Other than that, great to hear the competion speak with envy about the Sox. :cool:

WSox8404
02-20-2005, 11:08 PM
Is there any motive for a GM to "talk up" some other teams player(s)? While it's nice to hear the raves regarding Iguchi & El Duque, I'm trying think what an opposing GM has to gain. Maybe I'm thinking too hard?

Other than that, great to hear the competion speak with envy about the Sox. :cool:

Probably thinking too hard. Its always good to hear something good about the Sox from someone else. WE know they are good, now its time others do too.

PAPChiSox729
02-20-2005, 11:12 PM
Probably thinking too hard. Its always good to hear something good about the Sox from someone else. WE know they are good, now its time others do too.

I don't know. I kind of like being 'Under the Radar'.
:cool:

SluggersAway
02-20-2005, 11:17 PM
I hope Iguchi shows some brilliance, I just don't have anything to go on except faith. The fact is no one knows what he can produce in the MLB. We will just have to wait and see.

As for El Duque, I hope he comes back to form, I hope he and Contreras have a ton of fuel left in the tank to blaze a long trail into October.

WhiteSoxFan84
02-21-2005, 12:01 AM
I don't know. I kind of like being 'Under the Radar'.
:cool:

Well the Sporting News took care of that. They had 6 guys make their season predictions, all 6 had us out of the playoffs, 4 of them had us finishing 4th with only the Royals beneath us.

wsoxfan
02-21-2005, 01:06 AM
I just hope Iguchi does good enough in spring training so Ozzie won't bat him 9th like he said he might, and as for some of the predictions by "experts" those are probably the same ones that had the Royals winning the division last year. We all know how well that prediction turned out to be...:tongue:

MHOUSE
02-21-2005, 02:53 PM
Well the Sporting News took care of that. They had 6 guys make their season predictions, all 6 had us out of the playoffs, 4 of them had us finishing 4th with only the Royals beneath us.

I noticed that too. In every preseason prediction magazine or online write-up that I've seen, the Twins are winning the division and the White Sox are out of playoffs. Many had the Indians and/or Tigers ahead of us. I know that we're all biased, but how can anyone believe that we won't seriously contend for the division? I know the Twins have four division titles in a row and are the "team to beat", but look at what we did in the offseason and what they didn't do. We filled all of our holes and they created several big ones. Go Sox! We'll be on the radar come October. :gulp:

Lip Man 1
02-21-2005, 07:22 PM
One correction...the Twins have three straight division titles. However they have finished better then the Sox for the past four years.

Lip