PDA

View Full Version : is it just me or are you guys excited for this 2005 team???

DoggPhood
02-19-2005, 11:12 PM
i can't wait until opening day!!!!!

TWINS ARE GOING DOWN THIS YEAR!
:supernana::dtroll::supernana:

idiotAllDAWay
02-19-2005, 11:39 PM
I know same here!!!

MRKARNO
02-19-2005, 11:42 PM
I'm excited....but then again, the eternal optimist that I am, I'm excited for every team. I was pretty excited in 2003 and 2004, but both of those teams had playoff potential as well. The 2003 team choked and the 2004 team just got injured, but I'm hoping third time's a charm. The thing about this team is that it's probably riskier than other teams, but with a higher upside. The team has a 75 win floor, but 100+ win upside if everything goes right. There are no real holes at this point, but will everyone play as well as they can? That has yet to be answered.

idiotAllDAWay
02-19-2005, 11:46 PM
sox will get at least 92 wins this season.

MRKARNO
02-19-2005, 11:48 PM
sox will get at least 92 wins this season.

I think there's too much that might go wrong to predict minimum amounts of wins, but there's too much that can go right to say this team can't win 100 either. It goes both ways, but I think the median amount of wins is about 89-90.

idiotAllDAWay
02-19-2005, 11:49 PM
no but lets put it this way they will win the division.

CubsfansareDRUNK
02-19-2005, 11:55 PM
Yes! Theres nothing wrong with being overly optimisic like me. Your 2005 white sox world series winners!!! Well mabye not THAT optimisic.....:rolleyes:

idiotAllDAWay
02-19-2005, 11:56 PM
what ever im serious

Cubbiesuck13
02-20-2005, 01:08 AM
All this optomism makes you all sound like Flub Fans.I'm hoping to see good baseball being played in Chicago once again. The Sox are the team to do it, but there are way too many if's to start drinking kool aid now.

Rocklive99
02-20-2005, 01:33 AM
I'm excited every year, I just love baseball and need it in my life again. Every year I tell myself that this has been the most anxious I've been, and that's always topped the next year. This new strategy/approach for this year has me real interested, and I can't wait for the ST chats where someone will declare a season over or a championship based on someone else's PBP http://topnotchforums.com/forum/images/smiles/tup.gif

Gosox1917
02-20-2005, 01:56 AM
Sox will win the division, that's not being optimistic. That's just looking at the stats and seeing how much better we are than the other teams in our division. How we do in the playoffs is hard to tell since it's only February. But hey, anything can happen when a team gets in.

Jabroni
02-20-2005, 02:03 AM
I just received my Minnie Plan tickets along with my girlfriend's and we're ready for opening day against the Indians! :supernana:

DumpJerry
02-20-2005, 12:34 PM
Dogg: It's just you. The experts are saying the Sox will be lucky to win 70 games and finish as high as 4th this year. They ought to know. Last year they put Flubs on the cover of SI letting the world know the Flubs were winning the World Series. It was a very exciting WS last year. Ask Fenway.:D:

pearso66
02-20-2005, 12:53 PM
All this optomism makes you all sound like Flub Fans.I'm hoping to see good baseball being played in Chicago once again. The Sox are the team to do it, but there are way too many if's to start drinking kool aid now.

Every team has ifs going into a season. And like me, many other people, if they weren't optimistic going into the season, we'd get nobody in the park the first month of the season. I would stlil watch on TV, but like all Sox fans, why spend money on a team that wont do well. If I had the money, that m ight be a different story, but I dont and I have to choose my sox games wisely. But if you're optimistic, you are excited going into a season. I find it hard to watch when you think they'll lose. Now giving us the world series win right now is a stretch, just like Cub fans. But I dont think 90 wins and a division championship are out of the question

Brian26
02-20-2005, 01:11 PM
I think there's too much that might go wrong to predict minimum amounts of wins, but there's too much that can go right to say this team can't win 100 either. It goes both ways, but I think the median amount of wins is about 89-90.

There is a ton of potential to have a heck of a year.

SoxxoS
02-20-2005, 01:14 PM
The 2003 team choked and the 2004 team just got injured, but I'm hoping third time's a charm. .

How about 88 times a charm?

CubKilla
02-20-2005, 01:31 PM

Agreed. I'm excited at the start of every season. Every baseball fan should be. But there's a difference at the beginning of every season between being overly optimistic and rationally grounded.

The overly optimistic Sox fan sounds just like the sheep that go to Wrigley Field every year to look at trixie's and drink beer.

Fake Chet Lemon
02-20-2005, 05:00 PM
I am more optimistic than I was even in 1984. BUT........if this team falls flat can we agree that we won't be on here RIPPING Kenny Williams to shreds later this year?! I'm not a KW defender (especially Jerry Manual- what was he thinking?), just trying to be FAIR. Kenny did his job, now it's up to Ozzie and the players.

LongLiveFisk
02-20-2005, 06:46 PM
I'm actually excited to see a different type of Sox team this year. It's been a while since we've taken the "speed" approach rather than the "power" approach. Since my understanding is that Ozzie wants to play more small ball (National League style baseball, as they say), this may work out better for us.

But obviously, only time will tell. :dunno:

Jjav829
02-20-2005, 06:52 PM
I'm excited, but I've been excited about the teams the past few years. I thought acquiring Bartolo Colon was our key to the World Series. Who knows what will happen. I think there is more excitement this offseason because of all the moves. Change excites people because we all want to think that every new addition will play great. Will it happen? Man, I hope so. But we'll see. My excitement this year is based largely on the change. I'm excited to see these new players and see what happens, but I'm still keeping expectations low.

MIgrenade
02-20-2005, 07:02 PM
KW didn't bring Manual, Schuler did...i believe.

chisox06
02-20-2005, 07:12 PM
I'm excited....but then again, the eternal optimist that I am, I'm excited for every team. I was pretty excited in 2003 and 2004, but both of those teams had playoff potential as well. The 2003 team choked and the 2004 team just got injured, but I'm hoping third time's a charm. The thing about this team is that it's probably riskier than other teams, but with a higher upside. The team has a 75 win floor, but 100+ win upside if everything goes right. There are no real holes at this point, but will everyone play as well as they can? That has yet to be answered.

Thats a great way to sum it up. The upside of this team is bigger than we have seen in years, but at the same time their are more "IFs" to answer than we've seen in a long time as well. Bottom line is if most of those "IFs" come true, we will have a better team than we have seen in a long time. So naturally, Im excited.

dcb33
02-20-2005, 07:16 PM
I'm cautiously optomistic about the 05 Sox- it seems like a real low risk/high reward type team becuase they didin't break the bank to land anyone big, but they did bring in guys to fill a role and who are more in tune with Ozzie's baseball philosophy (kind of like the Bulls did). If this team can avoid injury unlike last year, I think it will surprise many.

I'm also hoping that Garland and Crede finally have the breakout year we've all been waiting for.

Jerome
02-20-2005, 08:32 PM
I really don't agree with all the 90 wins talk, especially not now. This team could come in third, or it could come in first. I don't know why it is a given that we will win our division. We don't even know when our best player is going to be healthy enough to play yet.

Minnesota has gotten better and Cleveland probably has one of the best offenses in baseball. I don't see why either of those teams couldn't beat us.

There are a lot if IFs that need to happen for this team to win.

IF Contreras (he of the 5+ ERA) and El Duque pitch the way they are capable of
IF Podsednik shows that 2004, rather than 2003 was the fluke
IF Dye has a good year
IF Crede learns how to hit a #$#%ing baseball
IF Konerko (the go-to guy now) keeps up his solid numbers
IF Uribe shows that he's more like the guy we saw at the beginning of the year rather than the end...

Every team has ifs, but I think we have to many to annoint the Sox the guaranteed Central division champs.

I agree we have certainly made a great effort to get better this offseason, but we haven't won anything yet, and I'm not convinced that this team will win the division any more than I was the last 2 years. Sorry to rain on everyone's victory parade.

Cubbiesuck13
02-20-2005, 09:45 PM
Every team has ifs going into a season. And like me, many other people, if they weren't optimistic going into the season, we'd get nobody in the park the first month of the season. I would stlil watch on TV, but like all Sox fans, why spend money on a team that wont do well. If I had the money, that m ight be a different story, but I dont and I have to choose my sox games wisely. But if you're optimistic, you are excited going into a season. I find it hard to watch when you think they'll lose. Now giving us the world series win right now is a stretch, just like Cub fans. But I dont think 90 wins and a division championship are out of the question

I'm not expecting them to loose but I am not on the "Rowand is going to be the MVP and the Sox are going to win the World Series" bandwagon. Like I said, I want to see some good baseball played by the Sox finally. I think with the team they have they can grow over the next couple of years and it should be much easier to fill the holes each off season now. The only thing that makes this team better than last year at this time is the rotation. Last years line up potential was much better than this years. The rotation sure as heck wasn't. If the game deflates and we stop seeing oposite field homers from SS and 2nd baseman then our team is ahead of the curve.

SouthBendSox
02-20-2005, 10:11 PM
81-81

HomeFish
02-20-2005, 10:21 PM
I am more optimistic than I was even in 1984. BUT........if this team falls flat can we agree that we won't be on here RIPPING Kenny Williams to shreds later this year?! I'm not a KW defender (especially Jerry Manual- what was he thinking?), just trying to be FAIR. Kenny did his job, now it's up to Ozzie and the players.

I fully agree. Kenny Williams has shown that he is dedicated to making this team a winning team, and that he isn't afraid to experiment, take risks, and make big-time changes to do it.

If this team fails, like I think it will, it will be in spite of Kenny, not because of him.

PAPChiSox729
02-20-2005, 10:23 PM
I'm caustiously optimistic. After the 2003 September choke, I have learned not to become overly optimistic about this team. I'm not ready to annoint these guys division champs. But then again, it is the very beginning of the baseball season...
:bandance: LET'S GO SOX!!!!:bandance:

CubKilla
02-21-2005, 12:13 AM
81-81

Obviously, you aren't snuffing off that Sox crack pipe.

Gosox1917
02-21-2005, 12:48 AM
I'm caustiously optimistic. After the 2003 September choke, I have learned not to become overly optimistic about this team. I'm not ready to annoint these guys division champs. But then again, it is the very beginning of the baseball season...
:bandance: LET'S GO SOX!!!!:bandance:

I've learned not to become overly optimistic since joining the site. :D:

Fake Chet Lemon
02-21-2005, 10:06 PM
I really don't agree with all the 90 wins talk, especially not now. This team could come in third, or it could come in first. I don't know why it is a given that we will win our division. We don't even know when our best player is going to be healthy enough to play yet.

Minnesota has gotten better and Cleveland probably has one of the best offenses in baseball. I don't see why either of those teams couldn't beat us.

There are a lot if IFs that need to happen for this team to win.

IF Contreras (he of the 5+ ERA) and El Duque pitch the way they are capable of
IF Podsednik shows that 2004, rather than 2003 was the fluke
IF Dye has a good year
IF Crede learns how to hit a #$#%ing baseball
IF Konerko (the go-to guy now) keeps up his solid numbers
IF Uribe shows that he's more like the guy we saw at the beginning of the year rather than the end...

Every team has ifs, but I think we have to many to annoint the Sox the guaranteed Central division champs.

I agree we have certainly made a great effort to get better this offseason, but we haven't won anything yet, and I'm not convinced that this team will win the division any more than I was the last 2 years. Sorry to rain on everyone's victory parade.

-Cleveland has to get a lot more pitching before they scare me. Let's see, a team that is thin on pitching but can hit. Who does that remind us of the last three years, and how well did they (WE) do? :rolleyes:

Ol' No. 2
02-21-2005, 10:13 PM
I don't think being optimistic is necessarily the same as being drunk on Kool-Aide. I'm more optimistic about this team than I have been for quite a while and it's for a very good reason - the pitching is the best they've had in quite a while. When was the last time they had five .500+ starters? When was the last time they had more than maybe 2 reliable relievers? This team will not win or lose depending on whether Podsednik can raise his OBP or whether Joe Crede can hit .260. It's about pitching. It's always been about pitching. Good pitching and a mediocre offense is a hell of a lot better than the other way around. You can find lots of WS winners with middling offenses, but very few that weren't at least top 3 in their league in pitching.

JKryl
02-21-2005, 10:21 PM
I haven't felt this good about the team in years. Bring it on. I can't wait.

Tragg
02-22-2005, 12:18 AM
I'm always excited about the Sox at the beginning of the year. This year I'm more excited because of all the changes, particularly a seriously improved pitching staff.
As it is, I've been following the Sox since 1967 and we have exactly THREE playoff appearances (although I did attend a WS game in 1958 as a one-year old), so any year in which the Sox appear they can contend for a berth, as is the case this year, is exciting.

nccwsfan
02-22-2005, 06:58 AM
This team doesn't seem to have as many glaring question marks going into the season, and as long as the pitching stays healthy I see a team that will remain consistent throughout the season. Do not underemphasize the importance of having a 5th starter that can win ballgames- Garland's usual 12-14 wins in 2005 will make a huge difference for this team.

Pitching wins championships, and who has the best pitching staff in the AL Central- top to bottom? In my eyes it's the White Sox. Why media types cannot see this is beyond me, but oh well- Under the Radar.

Sad
02-22-2005, 07:54 AM
I'm an optimistic realist :D:

LVSoxFan
02-22-2005, 01:30 PM
I'm excited to see how the new team looks and plays, no doubt.

As far as us going the distance? Talk to me at the All Star Break. On paper we look great. But we still have to go through the Twins. That's assuming Cleveland doesn't surplant us at #2 in the Comedy Central chase. And I wouldn't take my eye off the Tigers, who made some big moves this offseason.

And once you get past all that, there's still our trainwreck of a record when we play out west (hello, Oakland!). So this World Series talk is more than a bit premature.

Whatever happens, we damn well better crush the Cubs this year--that was probably the most traumatic part of last year!

No matter what happens, I am excited that the team has been completely rebuilt. For an organization that tends to do everything half-assed, they really did come through this year so I do respect that. And the reality may be that it might take more than a season for everybody to gel, new as this is.

But it should be fun to watch. I'll be there.