PDA

View Full Version : Will Aaron be the best CF in the AL in '05?

Fake Chet Lemon
02-19-2005, 10:27 PM
I think Aaron Rowand can be the best Center Fielder in the AL this year. I think he is a 5-tool guy, agree? Dark horse MVP candidate if the Sox are playoff bound?

SOXintheBURGH
02-19-2005, 10:35 PM
:moron

Who?

PAPChiSox729
02-19-2005, 10:38 PM
I think Aaron Rowand can be the best Center Fielder in the AL this year. I think he is a 5-tool guy, agree? Dark horse MVP candidate if the Sox are playoff bound?

He will be top 3 for sure. I see Steve Finely and Vernon Wells as his only real competition for best all-around CF. Torii Hunter is overrated. MVP candidate? No chance.

samram
02-19-2005, 10:44 PM
He will be top 3 for sure. I see Steve Finely and Vernon Wells as his only real competition for best all-around CF. Torii Hunter is overrated. MVP candidate? No chance.

Johnny Damon is a pretty good player too.

MisterB
02-19-2005, 10:46 PM

Rowand was arguably the best offensive CF in the AL last year, so he has a good shot at it in '05. MVP is a pipedream unless he boosts his numbers to something in the .320/35 hr/120 rbi range (i.e. Vlad Guerrero/A-Rod territory).

NonetheLoaiza
02-19-2005, 10:48 PM
Best in the AL? I don't think so. He proved last year that he can be an every day player in CF, but this year is going to be a deciding season for him. I think he can be extremely effective, but I don't think he would be even close to an MVP season.

Daver
02-19-2005, 10:53 PM
You have got to be kidding me.

PAPChiSox729
02-19-2005, 10:55 PM
Johnny Damon is a pretty good player too.

Rowand has more tools and is more complete. Damon is a good leadoff man but isn't too great in CF. And his arm is one of the worst in the league.

Cubbiesuck13
02-19-2005, 10:57 PM
You guys sound like Flub Fans.

MRKARNO
http://espn.go.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/5484.jpg
"I was the only one arguably better than Rowand last year, so maybe."

http://espn.go.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/6327.jpg
"I was hurt all of last year and was a bona fide MVP candidate back in my last healthy year in 2003, so maybe not."

Rowand might be almost Magglio-good next year. Best CFer? Only if Vernon Wells has another down year, but he was arguably the best in 2004.

Fake Chet Lemon
Before some of you laugh me off for starting this, does anyone know his second half numbers and how that would project over a full season? I think they'd be HUGE. Once Ozzie put him in the lineup and finally left him in, he seemed to take off.

SoxxoS
02-19-2005, 10:58 PM
The best CF in the A.L. isn't that far fetched, but there is a lot of "ifs" there.

Ol' No. 2
02-19-2005, 10:58 PM
Rowand was arguably the best offensive CF in the AL last year, so he has a good shot at it in '05. MVP is a pipedream unless he boosts his numbers to something in the .320/35 hr/120 rbi range (i.e. Vlad Guerrero/A-Rod territory).Even at that, the Sox would have to win 95 games for him to get the recognition needed for an MVP. And even then he's a very long longshot.

MRKARNO
02-19-2005, 11:01 PM

I understand if your position was "Wells is soooo much better that this conversation is foolish," but you're not optimistic about Rowand? Besides Damon, who was really all that much better than him last year in the AL in your estimation?

MRKARNO
02-19-2005, 11:09 PM
Before some of you laugh me off for starting this, does anyone know his second half numbers and how that would project over a full season? I think they'd be HUGE. Once Ozzie put him in the lineup and finally left him in, he seemed to take off.

Aaron Rowand Post-All star break 2004:
AB 279
BA .319
OBP .377
SLG .559
HR 15
RBI 48

BTW I'm not among those who's laughing at you. I think Rowand will be one of the top 3 for sure in the AL with a decent chance of being the single best. Regular playing time has really led him to produce big time in the past and 550 at bats in 2005 might be what it takes for him to reach 30+ homers, 100+ RBIs, a .380 OBP, and other Magglio-esque offensive plateaus. I don't think he will have the patience that Magglio had, but a better batting average might make up for that. Most projection systems are being a bit more cautious about predicitng his numbers, but I think Rowand's work ethic and attitude will lend to his producing big-time in 2005. The step from where he is now, to where I am predicting him to be is not a big one; an increase of 6 homers (with 60 more at bats to accomplish that) and 20 points in the OBP dept. is not that big. The issue is whether or not you think Rowand is a mediocre player who had a career year at age 26 or see a late-blooming superstar entering his peak years. I am of the latter group and I'm sure there are many who are of the former group. He's going to be a superstar in 2005 and yes I'm going out on somewhat of a limb here, but I don't think I'm being irrational.

PicktoCLick72
02-19-2005, 11:14 PM
What about Bernie Williams/ Kenny Lofton?

Fake Chet Lemon
02-19-2005, 11:17 PM
and he would have bloomed earlier if he wouldn't have almost killed himself a couple of offseasons ago- OOOPS

MisterB
02-19-2005, 11:22 PM
AB 279
BA .319
OBP .377
SLG .559
HR 25
RBI 48

Wow, he had one more HR in the second half than he did all season...:?:

BTW, that's 15 hr.

MRKARNO
02-19-2005, 11:25 PM
Wow, he had one more HR in the second half than he did all season...:?:

BTW, that's 15 hr.

Oops. Fixed now.

idiotAllDAWay
02-19-2005, 11:48 PM
i say not yet but here will be his #'s

hr 30
Rbi 100
Sb 35
B.A. 310
Errors 0

MisterB
02-19-2005, 11:56 PM
i say not yet but here will be his #'s

hr 30
Rbi 100
Sb 35
B.A. 310
Errors 0

Do we have a Deeppink police? No way in hell Rowand gets 35 steals. And 30 hr are very unlikely. 100 rbi are possible if he hits in the middle of the order all season and Frank is batting ahead of him.

idiotAllDAWay
02-19-2005, 11:57 PM
well im just bein' possitive

MRKARNO
02-20-2005, 12:10 AM
Do we have a Deeppink police? No way in hell Rowand gets 35 steals. And 30 hr are very unlikely. 100 rbi are possible if he hits in the middle of the order all season and Frank is batting ahead of him.

I agree that 35 steals is out of the question for the most part, but he could get 100 RBIs batting lower in the lineup. 30 HRs "very unlikely?" He hit 24 with only 487 at bats this year, which projects to 27 with 550 at bats. If he gets 550 at bats, then I think he'll reach the 30 homer level.

idiotAllDAWay
02-20-2005, 12:11 AM
thank you.

CubKilla
02-20-2005, 12:13 AM

Agreed.

Some of the stuff being posted on various Sox boards is borderline ludicrous as of late.

idiotAllDAWay
02-20-2005, 12:15 AM
ok

OurBitchinMinny
02-20-2005, 01:31 AM

No

Joosh
02-20-2005, 01:35 AM
Aaron has the stuff to become a quality CF. He Can hit 25-30 HR in a full season. He Can hit 100 RBIs. He can hit .300.

Will He? That remains to be seen. It will depend on whether he can improve on his breakout year last year and whether Ozzie will give him the chance.

Gosox1917
02-20-2005, 01:54 AM
I'd say he has the best chance to be around the 3rd best in the AL. IF Wells has another down year, IF Finley finally realizes he's 40 years old and starts to finally have a bad season, then Rowand will be the best in the league. MVP? not yet, but he's young.

santo=dorf
02-20-2005, 02:50 AM
Agreed.

Some of the stuff being posted on various Sox boards is borderline ludicrous as of late.
Would either of you like to tell us why he won't be the best, or list your rankings of AL CF's?

Are you upset that JR increased the payroll and KW made more than 4 significant moves this offseason that (something you swore the Sox wouldn't do?) :?:

Chrisaway
02-20-2005, 03:48 AM
OK this is drunken Chrisaway speaking but I did predict Crash to break out last year so YES he will be the best CF'er in the AL this year I have faith.

Jabroni
02-20-2005, 04:28 AM
Yes, Aaron will be. Check out my sig! :tongue:

Wanne
02-20-2005, 04:48 AM
Who says he's playin CF?

Jabroni
02-20-2005, 04:51 AM
Who says he's playin CF?I think Ozzie said that Rowand will stay in CF and Podsednik will play LF. As far as Rowand's projected numbers, I don't see why he couldn't consistently put these up every year:

.290 AVG
.345 OBP
25 HR
75 RBI
20 SB

DaleJRFan
02-20-2005, 04:54 AM
AB 279
BA .319
OBP .377
SLG .559
HR 15
RBI 48

If he can sustain these numbers over 162 game season, he will be an MVP candidate whether or not the Sox amount to anything. Once can dream right???

His RBIs will go up hitting 3rd and his OBP will go up gaining more respect from pitchers after last season. I can see him gaining the "Young players to watch" tagline - at least deserving an all-star selection.

Yes, he will be the best center fielder in the AL. Does that mean he'll make the EA Sports MVP Baseball 2006 cover? Probably not... :tongue:

Wanne
02-20-2005, 04:56 AM
I think Ozzie said that Rowand will stay in CF and Podsednik will play LF. As far as Rowand's projected numbers, I don't see why he couldn't consistently put these up every year:

.290 AVG
.350 OBP
25 HR
75 RBI
20 SB

Oh I could definately see those numbers...maybe even a 30hr/100 guy...but I think I'd feel better puttin Pods in center. I'm not sayin Aaron's a bad CFer at all...I just want the speed at center to cover the gaps a little better. It seems to be more of a natural fit having Aaron in left and Pods in center IMO.

Jabroni
02-20-2005, 04:56 AM
If he can sustain these numbers over 162 game season, he will be an MVP candidate whether or not the Sox amount to anything. Once can dream right???

His RBIs will go up hitting 3rd and his OBP will go up gaining more respect from pitchers after last season. I can see him gaining the "Young players to watch" tagline - at least deserving an all-star selection.

Yes, he will be the best center fielder in the AL. Does that mean he'll make the EA Sports MVP Baseball 2006 cover? Probably not... :tongue:Who says Aaron is batting 3rd? According to Ozzie, Rowand will most likely be batting 6th. The thing Rowand has going for him over Johnny Damon is that he's still only 27 years old. He has yet to hit his peak.

And Aaron WILL be on the cover of MVP Baseball 2006! :wink:

SoxFan76
02-20-2005, 05:40 AM
This has been stated here many times, but I want to reiterate(sp?) that Rowand has hit successfuly his whole career. His average has consistently been between .280-.320. I wouldn't expect a drastic decrease in numbers.

Jabroni
02-20-2005, 05:44 AM
This has been stated here many times, but I want to reiterate(sp?) that Rowand has hit successfuly his whole career. His average has consistently been between .280-.320. I wouldn't expect a drastic decrease in numbers.Yep, these are Aaron's career totals:

Aaron Rowand (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlbpa/players/6742/career)
.290 career AVG
.342 career OBP
.475 career SLG
.817 career OPS

Fredsox
02-20-2005, 07:29 AM
Who says he's playin CF?

Bingo. Per this morning's Sun-Times

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-doug20.html

After saying this offseason that he was leaning toward keeping Aaron Rowand in center field this season, Guillen now seems prepared to move Rowand to left and have Scott Podsednik play center, his natural position. "When you play center and you play like Aaron, you have a good chance of getting hurt,'' Guillen said. "Every time you dive for the ball or go to the wall, I don't want him missing any playing time.''

So are we gonna have a thread that asks if he'll be the best LF in the league?

Jabroni
02-20-2005, 07:41 AM
Bingo. Per this morning's Sun-Times

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-doug20.html

After saying this offseason that he was leaning toward keeping Aaron Rowand in center field this season, Guillen now seems prepared to move Rowand to left and have Scott Podsednik play center, his natural position. "When you play center and you play like Aaron, you have a good chance of getting hurt,'' Guillen said. "Every time you dive for the ball or go to the wall, I don't want him missing any playing time.''

So are we gonna have a thread that asks if he'll be the best LF in the league?Wow, surprising!

Anyways, Rowand's numbers are for more impressive as a CF'er but they are still impressive even if he's playing LF.

Fredsox, you should make this a separate thread. I'm sure people would want to see this.

samram
02-20-2005, 09:34 AM
Wow, surprising!

Anyways, Rowand's numbers are for more impressive as a CF'er but they are still impressive even if he's playing LF.

Fredsox, you should make this a separate thread. I'm sure people would want to see this.

Well, I don't care how his numbers stack up against others at his position. I want him to be in the best spot defensively because his offensive numbers shouldn't really change depending on whether he's in LF or CF.

And no, he wouldn't be the best LF in the league either. He's most likely not an MVP candidate. I just want him to be a good player, and I think he will be, and I think he'll help the team win games. That's the important thing.

Jabroni
02-20-2005, 09:58 AM
Well, I don't care how his numbers stack up against others at his position. I want him to be in the best spot defensively because his offensive numbers shouldn't really change depending on whether he's in LF or CF.

And no, he wouldn't be the best LF in the league either. He's most likely not an MVP candidate. I just want him to be a good player, and I think he will be, and I think he'll help the team win games. That's the important thing.Agreed. With Rowand's fielding skills, he's going to be falling asleep out in LF. He won't have to make any great catches like he did last year against the Indians in the game that Jon Rauch started...

Click the link below and then click on 350K "PLAYS OF THE GAME" for the 06/24 CLE @ CWS game...
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/multimedia/index.jsp?c_id=cws&ymd=20040624

I will definately miss watching Aaron in CF after that game. :worship:

Lip Man 1
02-20-2005, 02:32 PM
Jabroni:

He also won't be potentially killing himself slamming into walls either because of the bad / late jumps he got in center fielder ...

Lip

Joosh
02-20-2005, 02:55 PM
And Aaron WILL be on the cover of MVP Baseball 2006! :wink:

Um, a little of topic, but where have you been? Sony bought the rights to MLB, there isn't going to be a MVP Baseball 2006.

rowand33
02-20-2005, 03:15 PM
Somebody asked how Rowand's numbers for the second half would project over a full season.

Projecting those numbers over 162 games, Rowand's numbers would be:

33 HR, 108 RBI, 18 SB, .319 AVG

Not saying that proves anything, cause I'm sure Morgan Ensberg's 2003 second half numbers projected over a full season make him look like the best 3B ever.

MRKARNO
02-20-2005, 03:15 PM

Yes, he will be the best center fielder in the AL. Does that mean he'll make the EA Sports MVP Baseball 2006 cover? Probably not... :tongue:

Also keep in mind that he wasn't getting regular playing time day in and day out until June 18th. Before that he was only getting on and off playing time. His stats definitely reflect this as he started getting really good...in June. Look at his AVG/OBP/SLG by month:

April .226/.268/.453
May .283/.338/.483
June .375/.420/.641
July .337/.387/.547
August .352/.418/.713
September .271/.313/.393

So he kinda tailed off at the end of the year, but he was hitting very very well once he got regular playing time. This is among the many reasons why I think he's going to be great next year. A lot of people around here predicted a good season for him in 2004 and he even exceeded those optimistic expectations. I wouldnt be shocked if he could put together 4-4.5 months like he had from June through August, which would mean superstar numbers when it's all said and done.

I don't think most White Sox fans realize how good he was last year. He was better than Paul Konerko offensively last year in terms of rate stats:
(AVG/OBP/SLG)

Konerko (.271/.359/.535)
Rowand (.310/.361/.544)

Rowand was 12th in the AL in BA, 12th in OPS and 7th in Slugging Percentage. That's right, only 6 AL hitters had a better slugging percentage than Rowand last year and Rowand is at an age where improvement can be expected as he enters his peak years.

It amazes me how so many here can underestimate Aaron Rowand, considering how hard working he is and what a model baseball player he seems to be. He's on the verge of stardom.

Jabroni
02-20-2005, 05:28 PM
Um, a little of topic, but where have you been? Sony bought the rights to MLB, there isn't going to be a MVP Baseball 2006.I know. It's a sad, sad day. :whiner:

CubKilla
02-21-2005, 12:10 AM
Jabroni:

He also won't be potentially killing himself slamming into walls either because of the bad / late jumps he got in center fielder ...

Lip

Prepare yourself for a full on Rowand-aid case Lip :tongue: