PDA

View Full Version : Uribe hitting 2nd, Iguchi OR Willie hitting 9th?

Jabroni
02-19-2005, 07:04 PM
"Guillen alters starting rotation"
http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/sox.asp?intID=38402120It's been widely assumed new outfielder Scott Podsednik (70 stolen bases with Milwaukee last year) is the leadoff man, but Guillen said Juan Uribe is also a candidate.

If Uribe doesn't hit first, Guillen indicated Uribe would be second. The Sox' second-year manager also said Tadahito Iguchi and Willie Harris will compete for the starting job at second base and the No. 9 spot in the order.I know that Ozzie's speculation is just a motivation tool for all the guys to put up big numbers in Spring Training. I just found it interesting.

Also, Contreras is our #3 starter and El Duque is our #4.After pitchers and catchers completed Friday's workout, just the second of spring training, Guillen said Jose Contreras is moving up to the No. 3 spot in the rotation and Orlando "El Duque'' Hernandez is dropping to No. 4.

SEALgep
02-19-2005, 07:14 PM
I'd rather have Iguchi batting second, and the reason is because, I believe a lot of pressure is taken off of him if Pods is able to get on base. His job would be to get him to either second or third, allowing him to be bunting and hitting slow grounders to second. Uribe could probably do it too, I just think it's a wiser move to have Iguchi do it. Ozzie will have a clearer picture once ST starts and everyone shows what they can do.

MRKARNO
02-19-2005, 07:16 PM
Ozzie has it all wrong. The Opening Day batting order should look like this:

Podsednik
Iguchi
Rowand
Konerko
Everett
Dye
Uribe
Pierzynski
Crede

The Racehorse
02-19-2005, 07:18 PM
I'm guessing that Ozzie wants to give Tadahito a chance to adjust while in the 9th-spot. Since Uribe is streaky, Ozzie must be banking on Juan coming out of the gate cutting & slashing like last year. The faster Iguchi adjusts to the league, the faster he can move up in the lineup [if needed] and be the impact player that we all want him to be.

MIgrenade
02-19-2005, 07:33 PM
I heard from my cousin's friend's brother who works for MLB that during a conversation with KW it came out that El Duque is actually 107 years old and might have to be dropped in the rotation.
You heard it here first.

balke
02-19-2005, 07:33 PM
Although it is an assumption I like to make that Ozzie is always wrong, he might have it right. WHO IS IGUCHI? We'll see. If he hits, he'll hop to the top of the batting order. Right now he's an import switching leagues. Didn't kaz start low in the order? Does anyone know?

In a perfect world the above listed lineup is what i like (Mr. Karno). But we should really wait and see what we have in Iguchi. Uribe is a good #2 if he's hitting. It's not like we won't have a different lineup every day with ozzie anyhow. If he doesn't get a lineup set by midseason, I hope we boot him.

ChiSoxRowand
02-19-2005, 08:18 PM

Podsednik
Iguchi
Rowand
Konerko
Everett
Dye
Uribe
Pierzynski
Crede

Rowand #3? Bat Konerko #3 and Dye cleanup.

Chisox003
02-19-2005, 08:23 PM
I heard from my cousin's friend's brother who works for MLB that during a conversation with KW it came out that El Duque is actually 107 years old and might have to be dropped in the rotation.
You heard it here first.

Thats strange because I heard from my neighbor's, sister's, friend's cousin's dog's friend's owner's brother's uncle and overheard KW who was walking through an airport in Mexico that El Duque is actually only 19 years old, and was considered a 8 year old phenom back in his homeland.
You heard THAT here first.

SoxSpeed22
02-19-2005, 08:29 PM
I'm guessing that Ozzie wants to give Tadahito a chance to adjust while in the 9th-spot. Since Uribe is streaky, Ozzie must be banking on Juan coming out of the gate cutting & slashing like last year. The faster Iguchi adjusts to the league, the faster he can move up in the lineup [if needed] and be the impact player that we all want him to be.Uribe is always good in April, but fell off during June and July, Hopefully Iguchi can adjust by then.

Ol' No. 2
02-19-2005, 09:22 PM
"Guillen alters starting rotation"
http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/sox.asp?intID=38402120I know that Ozzie's speculation is just a motivation tool for all the guys to put up big numbers in Spring Training. I just found it interesting.

Also, Contreras is our #3 starter and El Duque is our #4.Don't you think a lot of these questions will be answered in spring training?

PAPChiSox729
02-19-2005, 09:24 PM
Uribe is always good in April, but fell off during June and July, Hopefully Iguchi can adjust by then.

I agree. I think that Ozzie will bat Iguchi 9th and Uribe 2nd. When Iguchi gets comfortable with MLB pitching, you'll see him jump to 2nd in the order with Uribe batting 9th. This switch should happen by June.

OG4LIFE
02-19-2005, 09:34 PM
honestly, given willie's good numbers vs righties, i think it would be best for willie and tadahito to platoon- it puts willie in a position to succeed, and eases the transition for tadahito, setting him up against lefties.

as far as rowand hitting 3, i really cant wait for frank to come back, as he is the ultimate 3 hitter- doesnt strike out much, makes a lot of contact (usually for power)... he's a solid upgrade over rowand at the 3 spot. then we can slide rowand into the #2 hole, where i think he's perfect- good batting avg/OBP, and great speed to pick up the slack if the leadoff guy doesnt get on.

JB98
02-19-2005, 10:03 PM

Podsednik
Iguchi
Rowand
Konerko
Everett
Dye
Uribe
Pierzynski
Crede

Flip-flop Uribe and Pierzynski, and I'd agree with you 100%

Jjav829
02-19-2005, 10:06 PM
It makes no sense not to bat Podsednik leadoff. I can understand batting Iguchi 9th to start the season. It takes some of the pressure off him and let's us see what we really have. Of course ST should help do that. I can see batting Uribe 2nd, but leadoff just doesn't make sense now that Pods is here.

JB98
02-19-2005, 10:13 PM

No way. Until Frank comes back, we want Rowand batting third. He's our highest average guy. He has extra-base power, and on top of that, he has speed. I think it would be great to have the speed of Pods, Iguchi and Rowand back-to-back-to back. Sort of like a poor man's Lofton, Vizquel and Alomar.

If Rowand hits a two-out single in the first inning, he can score from first on a double by Konerko. If Paulie's hitting third and he hits a two-out single in the first inning, Dye has to homer to drive Konerko's lead-footed ass in. This is the same principle Ozzie used last year in elevating Maggs to third in the order and dropping Frank to fourth.

California Sox
02-19-2005, 10:14 PM
Assuming Pods is in LF and wins the leadoff job and Frank eventually fills the three hole, Uribe would be awfully dangerous hitting second. Why? He'd get more fastballs than anyone in the league and he's a very good fastball hitter. Might be worth a look at least. Using the same logic, of course, Rowand would be a good candidate as well.

Fake Chet Lemon
02-19-2005, 10:23 PM

Konerko will clog up the bases as a #3. I love batting Rowand #3. Tons of speed at the top of the order.

MHOUSE
02-19-2005, 11:32 PM
I want Rowand batting third to start the season. He had the highest average on the team, and with Pods, Uribe, and Rowand on base, then Paulie, Dye, and Everett will rack up RBI opportunities. When Frank returns we can slide him into the #3 hole and move Rowand, Uribe, and Iguchi accordingly.

MRKARNO
02-19-2005, 11:39 PM

Let me explain: It has to do with how I feel Rowand will hit next year. As I've stated in the other Rowand thread I think he will hit Magglio-good next year so if you're thinking about it in those terms it makes sense. Also, Rowand has a lot of speed, so it would make sense to have three speedy hitters at the top of the lineup, all of whom can hit the ball out to an increasing degree as you go from Pods to Iguchi to Rowand. Rowand's slugging percentage was actually better than Konerko's last year (.544 vs .535), as well as his on base percentage (.361 vs .359) and also his batting average (.310 vs .277). I think Rowand will improve on his 2004 and that Konerko is going to be the same or maybe even a little worse. Also, it makes more sense to have the bigger home run hitter in the 4 spot than the 3 spot.

As far as Dye is concerned, I'm not too optimistic about him and actually think he might be our worse OF offensively. His power will be more useful in the 5 or 6 spot, but his OBP is not good enough for a cleanup hitter. Now if he were to revert to his 2000 or 2001 form then I think he would be a good candidate for the 4, or even the five spot, but I think Everett has a better chance of reverting to his excellent form as it was only one year ago, in 2003, when he was hitting really well.

samram
02-19-2005, 11:42 PM
Konerko will clog up the bases as a #3. I love batting Rowand #3. Tons of speed at the top of the order.

I agree. I would also keep speed in the top 3 spots after Frank comes back and hit him fourth, especially if Rowand, Iguchi, or Uribe is hitting well with some power. I just like the thought of putting a lot of pressure on pitchers with the top three.

idiotAllDAWay
02-19-2005, 11:45 PM
this is what i would do

Pods
Iguchi
Dye
Konerko
Rowand
Everett
Uribe
Peirzynski
Crede

DaleJRFan
02-20-2005, 04:47 AM

Rowand is a better contact hitter, higher average, he hits 3rd. Where do all you people get this "Konerko hits #3" crap?! He hits clean up. Get it straight.

:)

Sorry, I'm just an ARow fan.