PDA

View Full Version : The "I support Frank Thomas" thread

MRKARNO
02-19-2005, 01:07 PM
The purpose of this thread is to show how we feel about Frank Thomas, how the WSI community reveres him and take any attack on Frank Thomas personally. How we stand in solidarity with Thomas against the attacks of the Chicago Tribune and the rest of the idiots on the Chicago media scene. We know there are people in the media watching and we want to show them that we support, wholeheartedly, the best player in the history of the franchise.

I support Frank Thomas!

:hurt

"Damn straight."

Mickster
02-19-2005, 01:26 PM
The purpose of this thread is to show how we feel about Frank Thomas, how the WSI community reveres him and take any attack on Frank Thomas personally. How we stand in solidarity with Thomas against the attacks of the Chicago Tribune and the rest of the idiots on the Chicago media scene. We know there are people in the media watching and we want to show them that we support, wholeheartedly, the best player in the history of the franchise.

I support Frank Thomas!

"Damn straight."

:gulp:

HomeFish
02-19-2005, 01:26 PM
I'll admit there was a time when I loathed Frank Thomas, mostly 2002, a bit of early-to-mid 2003. I would regularly boo him, yell "easy out" when he came to the plate, etc.

Since then, however, he has reduced the number of times he pops out, and I have come to fully appreciate the man's ability to take lots of pitches in an at-bat, something that I value very highly in a hitter.

So, yes, I support Frank Thomas now.

Mickster
02-19-2005, 01:28 PM
I'll admit there was a time when I loathed Frank Thomas, mostly 2002, a bit of early-to-mid 2003. I would regularly boo him, yell "easy out" when he came to the plate, etc.

Since then, however, he has reduced the number of times he pops out, and I have come to fully appreciate the man's ability to take lots of pitches in an at-bat, something that I value very highly in a hitter.

:rolleyes:

RKMeibalane
02-19-2005, 01:30 PM
I'm glad that someone started a thread like this, as I was planning to start one myself. I want everyone who visits this board to understand the following:

Frank Thomas is greatest player in the history of the Chicago White Sox franchise. Many people, myself included, became Sox fans becuase of his presence on the team.

I will no longer tolerate pointless, senseless attacks on the Big Hurt, or for that matter, any other member of the Chicago White Sox organization- be it an attack by the Chicago media or another member of this board.

I am officially declaring war on the Frank-haters and any who support them or their ideals. If you have a problem with Frank Thomas, then I have a problem with you. Wherever you post on this board, I will be waiting there to refute any anti-Thomas arguments you choose to make.

Let me make my position perfectly clear:

If you want to criticize Frank Thomas for whining about his contract, go right ahead.

If you want to complain about him standing too far off the plate, be my guest.

If you want to talk about his HOF status, that's fine with me.

But I will not put up with anymore useless attacks on Frank's character, or on his value to this baseball team. Frank-haters, be warned. I will be coming after you.

-RKM

Deadguy
02-19-2005, 01:45 PM

I support Frank Thomas!

"Damn straight."

:cheers:

CurseoftheGoat63
02-19-2005, 01:50 PM
:nod:

PAPChiSox729
02-19-2005, 02:00 PM
I support Frank Thomas!

"Damn straight."

:thumbsup:

BigEdWalsh
02-19-2005, 02:02 PM
:fans
Supporting The Big Hurt!
:army

mdep524
02-19-2005, 02:04 PM
I've had some ups and downs with Frank over the years, but I am firmly in his corner.

Frank, you're the man.

Whitesox029
02-19-2005, 02:27 PM
Here's to a speedy return for Frank. :gulp:

JGarlandrules20
02-19-2005, 02:27 PM
FT is my hero! I'll always be behind him.

SoxFan76
02-19-2005, 02:33 PM
I love watching Frank bat. It's something every baseball purist should see. It's so much fun to see a man of his size foul off 5 pitches, work the full count, and smack a double in the gap. Or foul off pitch after pitch before launching a 450 ft. HR. I can't wait for him to come back.

TornLabrum
02-19-2005, 02:39 PM
Frank Thomas is undoubtedly the best player not banned permanently from baseball to ever wear a White Sox uniform.

As for the media types who gave Sammy "Juiced" Sosa a pass all those years with the Cubs while ragging on anything Thomas did that did not meet their high standards of player behavior...they can go **** themselves, as can those who post here who rag on Thomas and don't back their claims with any kinds of facts but simply parrot the BS spewed by the Cubbie-loving/Sox-hating media.

mantis1212
02-19-2005, 02:43 PM

I support Frank Thomas!

"Damn straight."

Here Here :gulp:

PorkChopExpress
02-19-2005, 02:45 PM
Amen to that! If there isn't already a "Friends of Frank" group at the Cell, like "Crede's Crew," then there should be, maybe out in left field where he will plant at least 25 of his 40+ HR's this year.

Chisox003
02-19-2005, 02:51 PM
I posted an article yesterday about Frank (the mods deleted it...?) and I was trying to prove that Frank gets absolutely no respect outside of us....

Heres to a run to the ring Frank! :gulp:

T-Bone
02-19-2005, 03:00 PM
As a Sox fan who grew up with him, Frank Thomas will always be my favorite player.

Here's to Frank! :gulp:

SOXSINCE'70
02-19-2005, 03:10 PM
:thumbsup:

cubhater
02-19-2005, 03:14 PM
We got your back Frank! Get well soon! The Sox need you!:cheers:

voodoochile
02-19-2005, 03:23 PM

You are an idiot. There. I said it. I feel so much better now.

****ing :dtroll:

MRKARNO
02-19-2005, 03:32 PM

If you didnt support Thomas after what he did from 1990 to 1997 and in 2000, then you've got some MAJOR problems. I mean, it's not like he was one of the best hitters in baseball and won 2 MVPs with a third stolen from him by Giambi or anything like that. That's not worthy of support? If you didn't respect Frank after those years then you never can truly support him. It was difficult not to support him after those years and if you didn't it's because you weren't following the White Sox or had a strong dislike for them.

ND_Sox_Fan
02-19-2005, 03:39 PM
Frank has been my favorite player since 1990 when his first home game was my first game at OCP. Since then I have been firmly in his corner. Who wouldn't mouth off to the press if you had to put up with such clowns in Chicago on a dialy basis?

Not only that, the root of the problem has been the losers he has had to put up with for managers = Terry Bevington & Jerry Manuel to name a couple.

There is nothing wrong with a guy who gets aggrivated over losing and dealing with a one-sided media. Two things we are upset about as fans; can you imagine dealing with them personally?

Bottom line is - Big Man... we'll always be behind you!! I can't wait for the MVP chants coming from the bleachers this summer as you come to the plate!!

hsnterprize
02-19-2005, 03:46 PM
"Big Frank" has been my favorite player for years. Lord willing, if/when I go to cover games this season, I'll be able to introduce my kids to him.

Chicago baseball lore is about to be returned to its rightful owner, and his name is FRANK THOMAS.

MRKARNO
02-19-2005, 03:51 PM
Chicago baseball lore is about to be returned to its rightful owner, and his name is FRANK THOMAS.

That's right. For the first time since 1997, Thomas will be the undisputed hitting king of Chicago. There is not a better hitter in the city and the ones who argue that he's not the best in the city are undoubtedly pursuing an anti-Frank agenda and must be called out as such. This is the year when we must support Frank the most because he will be attacked from all angles because the Cubs can't even claim to have the best hitter in the city and thus the Cub-loving media will attack the one clear-cut Hall of Famer and franchise player in the city (say what you want about Sammy, he's going to the Hall of Fame and was the Cubs' franchise player). He deserves our loudest cheers, the most signs, letters in his support, etc.

SpammySosa
02-19-2005, 05:03 PM

:moron
"Ok,ok I admit it:I am HomeFish."

SoxWillWin
02-19-2005, 05:43 PM
I personally think anyone making an incredibly stupid post as to why they don't like frank thomas should be banned. Yes Frank has his good and bad moments.....as do we all, but you have to think to yourself could you handle the pressure of being an athlete??? Not just that, but being a pure athlete in this maelstrom of steroid accusations? Please. I wouldn't be able to keep my composure half as well as thomas has on the whole. Thomas IS the best player to play for the sox. Go Thomas....Go Sox......

WikdChiSoxFan
02-19-2005, 06:28 PM
How can I join the "Friends of Frank"?

I too have been and will always be behind Frank...and he better finish his career in a White Sox Uni.

I will personally give anyone who thinks otherwise dirty looks. Watch out, Dirty Looks!!

ja1022
02-19-2005, 06:31 PM
I'm always amazed by the general lack of respect Frank gets from some people. Damn, the guy is a two time--should have been three time-- MVP in Chicago and, by and large, he's been a good citizen. I know at times he can seem to be a pud in the clubhouse and with the media. I know he's prone to foot-in-mouth disease. I know he had that whole union situation a while back. I know he's not what you would call a leader. By the same token, the guy, under enormous pressure, has kept his nose clean. No steroids, drugs, DUIs, police problems, bad posses, etc., etc.. I have to explain to my 13 year old and his buddies that in his prime, Frank had few peers.

Frank, I hope you take all the time you need to get as healthy as you're going to get. I also hope you hit number 500 in a White Sox uniform, in Cellmiskey in 2006. That's the way it should be.

Banix12
02-19-2005, 07:12 PM
People can talk about dimished skills and lack of fielding ability, the honest truth about Frank is that even at his age and with all his faults his batters eye and patience at the plate are still better than 99% of the league. He can still do things with the bat in his upper 30's that most players playing in their prime right now wish they can do.

MRKARNO
02-19-2005, 07:14 PM
How can I join the "Friends of Frank"?

By making a positive post in this thread, like you just did.:thumbsup:

MIgrenade
02-19-2005, 07:27 PM
Frank Thomas good. He mash ball with big stick.

The only real good that the steroid situation can bring is that those players who have had great careers without drugs will be recognized for their accomplishments, and I hope to see Frank recognized by all those who have bashed him at times, myself included. And if he can have another 30+ HR season that would be great.

gosox3072
02-19-2005, 07:30 PM
One of the greatest sox memories that i have is chanting MVP to frank as he hit a home run off the twinkies in 2000. I dont think ive ever heard comiskey as loud as it was that night, and i think there was about 18000 people there.

Frank is the best player in white sox history. I cant even imagine him not making the HOF on his first ballot. The guy has won 2 MVPs (should be 3) and still is feared by many pitchers in the game.

Heres to you frank!:gulp:

The Racehorse
02-19-2005, 07:34 PM

I support Frank Thomas!

"Damn straight."

Count me in. :cool:

SABRSox
02-19-2005, 07:54 PM
I'm in too. Can somebody get a "Friends of Frank" tag going?

voodoochile
02-19-2005, 08:02 PM
I'm in too. Can somebody get a "Friends of Frank" tag going?

There is a Frank Thomas Fan Club image in the database somewhere, but I don't know the link.

Cellview22
02-19-2005, 08:06 PM
Count me in too. I've always been a Frank supporter. :bandance:

Sarah
02-19-2005, 08:11 PM
Count me in as a Frank supporter - besides the baseball, he has always been a great guy as far as taking pictures and signing autographs is concerned when I have had the chance to meet him. A ballplayer of his caliber does not have to be as good to a fan as he has been to me on the few chances I have had to talk to him.

-Sarah-

NIXPIX35
02-19-2005, 08:52 PM
I've been supporting the Big Hurt, here in Ohio, since 1990 and will continue to do so till he enters Cooperstown someday. Those of you living in Chicago should consider yourself fortunate to have this great player play for you as long as he has.

Are there many others out there from around the country that follow Sox ball because of #35 ? Let's hear from you......

Uncle_Patrick
02-19-2005, 08:54 PM
Just want to say I'm a Frank supporter, too.

I never want to see Frank Thomas in any baseball uniform besides the White Sox.

spawn
02-19-2005, 08:59 PM
Always have been and always will be a Frank supporter. One of the good things to come out of this steroid mess is Frank being appreciated, FINALLY. And I don't care if new Frank supporters are jumping on the bandwagon. There is always room for more!:gulp:

idseer
02-19-2005, 09:50 PM
i started out as a very big frank supporter.

then i became more and more disillusioned with him as a person (based on only the information available to me like the news etc.) he's shown himself to be wrongheaded in many ways imo. only recently has he seemed to wise up some about handling reporters and not making ignorant statements. but i believe he's probably still resentful concerning his money (justifiably or not). i don't think he's been a cancer so much as just a disrupting force from time to time. i know some of you (at least ONE of you) know him personally and vouch for his character and that's cool and you can come up with a lot of excuses for his past behavior but my perceptions remain.

i am no longer a frank supporter tho i'm also not a frank hater. he's just another player to me. and a person with pluses and minuses like pretty much all of us.
i've always acknowledged his ability to hit a baseball and i'm happy to have him as long as he produces.

I want Mags back
02-19-2005, 09:55 PM
I support a now 3 time MVP (were giving him Giambi's from '00) the Sox first 500 HR hitter (it will happen) and our next hall of famer.

GO BIG HURT!!!!!!!

PAPChiSox729
02-19-2005, 10:00 PM
[QUOTE=idseer]

i am no longer a frank supporter tho i'm also not a frank hater. he's just another player to me. and a person with pluses and minuses like pretty much all of us.
QUOTE]

But as long as Frank is on the Sox, I think you should support him. If any player came to the Sox, I would support them (with the exception of Bonds, Sosa).

idseer
02-19-2005, 10:11 PM
[QUOTE=idseer]

QUOTE]

But as long as Frank is on the Sox, I think you should support him. If any player came to the Sox, I would support them (with the exception of Bonds, Sosa).

well, in that sense i DO support him. i mean ... i root like hell for most everyone in a sox uni. (an exception was albert belle. i couldn't stand the guy and found myself rooting in such a way that would be pulling for sox victories without him contributing ... if that makes any sense. i felt the same way about rodman.)
i was trying to say that i don't "feel the love" that's being expressed in this thread.

SouthBendSox
02-19-2005, 10:12 PM
Here F-----g Here

I proudly Support Frank

ssginc
02-19-2005, 10:44 PM
As far as I'm concerned, ANY player (or person) who has the stones to stand up to the media-slime is deserving of respect!

In Frank's case, he's been vilified for years because he refused to kiss the keysters of the slime... unlike Roid-Boy on the north side of town!

Right or wrong, it doesn't change the fact that Thomas has been a TRUE superstar... worthy of the praise and accolades bestowed on him by fans intelligent enough to recognize that, although he's not a media-friendly type, his accomplishments will NEVER be questioned!

Having said that, I guess it's safe to assume that I too support Frank Thomas! He remians one of the few players in sports that I will go out of my way to watch.

jamteh
02-19-2005, 10:54 PM
Mr. Hurt, your shrine is waiting...:bandance:

SOXintheBURGH
02-19-2005, 11:17 PM
I love Frank Thomas. Hands down one of the BEST PLAYERS I ever saw play in my life time.

:worship: :hurt

MRKARNO
02-19-2005, 11:24 PM
Count me in as a Frank supporter - besides the baseball, he has always been a great guy as far as taking pictures and signing autographs is concerned when I have had the chance to meet him. A ballplayer of his caliber does not have to be as good to a fan as he has been to me on the few chances I have had to talk to him.

-Sarah-

Frank is just awesome when it comes to autographs and being friendly to the fans. Who was signing autographs before almost every game he participated in last year? It wasn't Magglio. It was Frank all right.

For all of the crap Frank gets from the media that he's "unfriendly" it's just so not true. That's Sammy Sosa. Frank is a friendly person from what I've heard and my encounters with him. Now maybe he's grown antagonistic towards those idiots in the media because of the way that they've treated him and the team he's been with his entire career for 16 years, but how accurate can those idiots in the media be? We know that they're idiots and ignore them, but why do some chose to follow their lead on Frank? That's bad reasoning, plain and simple.

It's truly such an honor to be able to go to the ballpark and watch one of the greatest hitters in baseball history as well as the single best hitter in White Sox history.

idiotAllDAWay
02-19-2005, 11:54 PM
everett will pick up the slack

paciorek1983
02-20-2005, 12:02 AM
I too, was thingking of starting a thread like this, so I'm glad that somebody did. I have been paying attention to Frank ever since Hawk and Wimpy would bring up his name.

early 1990 telecasts when talking about the farm clubs:

Hawk: "Guess who homered last night?"

Wimpy: "Frank Thomas."

Hawk: "Yep." "He's gonna be something special."

They would always mention him throughout the season. I couldn't wait till they brought him up. When they did, he didn't disappoint, and for 99.9% of the time since, he still hasn't.

I think it was only in '02 where he was driving me nuts, but besides that, I've never wanted to miss one of his at-bats.

Over the last 20 years there are only a handful of players, that it's been difficult to turn away when they are at bat. Those would include, for me: Tom Paciorek, Rod Carew, George Brett, Cal Ripken, Jose Canseco, Ken Griffey Jr., Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa, Derek Jeter and of course, Frank Thomas. I'm not saying I like all of those guys, just that they've been interesting for one reason or another.

:)

idiotAllDAWay
02-20-2005, 12:03 AM
ok i lil' of the subject. lol

MRKARNO
02-20-2005, 12:19 AM
If Brandon McCarthy were a WSI member then he'd probably make a post in this thread:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050219soxbits,1,5706542.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

"I was the biggest Frank Thomas fan in the universe," McCarthy said. "I had everything he ever put out, everything he ever endorsed—the Big Hurt Fan Club, the whole nine yards."

gosox41
02-20-2005, 12:21 AM
I support a now 3 time MVP (were giving him Giambi's from '00) the Sox first 500 HR hitter (it will happen) and our next hall of famer.

GO BIG HURT!!!!!!!

I agree 100% with you. But I know he doesn't:

:KW
"Frank has no place in the current Sox lineup. With such powerhouses as Carl Everett and Ross Gload I can never see Frank as a starter. He just doesn't fit the team I'm looking for. And you can tell with all the playoff appearances we've made I know exactly what I'm going. There's no ego involved here. There's no place for a guy that can hit for power and get on base 40% of the time. We need speed and defense. Now someone go get me PK's agent so I can give him another overpriced contract."

Bob

idiotAllDAWay
02-20-2005, 12:22 AM
we'll see if he keeps healthy

nccwsfan
02-20-2005, 12:50 AM

Future Hall of Famer
1993 MVP, 1994 MVP, 2000 MVP*

Count me in! I support the most prolific hitter in Chicago White Sox history!

Chisox003
02-20-2005, 12:51 AM
I know I've seen these stats posted here, but I cant find them to save my life....When comparing Frank to the greatest hitters of all time, he has something comparable in OBP, AVG, HR's, BB's, RBI's etc. in his first 8 seasons (I think) to Jimmy Foxx and 3 or 4 other guys...

Anybody who knows where Im goin with this help would really be appreciated...Thanks

nccwsfan
02-20-2005, 01:00 AM
I know I've seen these stats posted here, but I cant find them to save my life....When comparing Frank to the greatest hitters of all time, he has something comparable in OBP, AVG, HR's, BB's, RBI's etc. in his first 8 seasons (I think) to Jimmy Foxx and 3 or 4 other guys...

Anybody who knows where Im goin with this help would really be appreciated...Thanks

From the 2004 Media Guide:

Frank Thomas is one of 10 players in MLB history (2 active) with at least a .300 career average, 400 HR's, 1,000 RBI's, 1,000 runs, and 1,000 walks. All eight retired players are in the Hall of Fame.

Hank Aaron
Jeff Bagwell (active)
Jimmie Foxx
Lou Gehrig
Willie Mays
Stan Musial
Mel Ott
Babe Ruth
Frank Thomas (active)
Ted Williams

Anyone who thinks Frank Thomas isn't Hall of Fame worthy is a complete nutcase....

Chisox003
02-20-2005, 01:05 AM
Thanks a lot

This stuff is gold when it comes to proving Frank haters wrong! (Which Im going to do)

Heres to The Hurt :gulp:

Gosox1917
02-20-2005, 02:01 AM
I can't remember if I've posted in this thread or not, but on this subject, I think it would be ok. Frank, you're my all-time favorite Sox player ever. You deserve to be in the HOF and to play out your career where you want for how ever much money you want for as long as you want. GO FRANK!!!

SoxWillWin
02-20-2005, 02:40 AM
but how accurate can those idiots in the media be? We know that they're idiots and ignore them, but why do some chose to follow their lead on Frank? That's bad reasoning, plain and simple.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :Rocker: :Rocker: :Rocker:

zach074
02-20-2005, 10:05 AM
I don't think your should be allowed to call yourself a White Sox fan if you don't support The Big Hurt!

idseer
02-20-2005, 10:32 AM
this seems a good place for this comparison i've put together.

to add some weight to the idea that frank is the all time best white sox player.

*note - all these stats were garnered strictly as white sox players. the only exception being lifetime top 100 in major catagories.

ed walsh ... 13 years. 195-126. 4 time 20 game winner (high of 40). all his decent years were confined to a 7 year period.

luis aparicio ... 10 years. 6 time allstar
for all his getting on base and stolen bases he never scored 100 runs. hit .300 once ... in his last year as a sox. he didn't walk much very poor obp. led league in sb's 7 straight years. 6 gg's.

eddie collins ... 12 years. .331 avg. 3 time sb leader (11 times top ten). 9 times in top ten avg. 12 times in top ten obp. outstanding fielder. top 100 in 15 major catagories all time.

luke appling ... 19 years (all sox). .310 avg. 7 time allstar. 9 times top ten obp. top 100 in 8 major catagories all time.

joe jackson ... 6 years. .340 avg. top ten avg. 4 times. top ten obp and slg 5 times. top ten rbi 5 times.

carlton fisk ... 13 years. 4 time allstar.

ted lyons ... 21 years. 260-230. 3 time 20 game winner. 10 times top ten in era (led once). 1 time allstar. 14 times top ten (4 times led) in fewest walks per 9 innings. 13 times top ten in complete games. no mvp's

red fabor ... 20 years. 254-213. 7 times top ten era (leader twice). 4 time 20 game winner.

frank thomas ... 15 years (all sox - so far). 5 time allstar. top ten mvp 8 times (2 time mvp). 7 times top ten avg (1 time winner). 9 times top ten obp (4 time winner - currently 11th all time). 10 top ten slg leader (led 1 time - currently 16th all time). 7 times top ten runs scored. 8 times top ten home runs. 8 times top ten rbis. 11 times top ten bb (led 4 times). adjusted ops career 13th. top 100 in 15 major catagories all time.

i don't think there's much doubt that frank is far and away the best hitter they've ever had.
collins gives him a good fight however when you add in the fact he was an outstanding 2nd baseman with speed.
jackson just doesn't have enough years to compare imo.

i think it's a tossup as to who's more valuable here. a 2 tool player like frank, or a 4 tool player like collins.

take your pick.

SpammySosa
02-20-2005, 10:42 AM
The only problem with stat comparisons is that it doesn't do justice to a player like Fisk(on your list)who was a great leader and contributed more than what hard statistics are going to show. This isn't to disagree with anyone's proclamations of Frank's place in White Sox history,as I,too,think he is the greatest hitter and probably greatest player they have had.

idseer
02-20-2005, 11:06 AM
The only problem with stat comparisons is that it doesn't do justice to a player like Fisk(on your list)who was a great leader and contributed more than what hard statistics are going to show. This isn't to disagree with anyone's proclamations of Frank's place in White Sox history,as I,too,think he is the greatest hitter and probably greatest player they have had.
i agree stats are not the end all. but they are, over time, the best barometer to go by. ray shalk was also a great player in his time tho the stats don't really show it well.

fuzzy_patters
02-20-2005, 11:16 AM
I just hope that Frank Thomas plays another 6 years or so. My wife and I are expecting our first child any day now, and I want my child to be able to cherish having watched the great Frank Thomas for the rest of his or her life.

SpammySosa
02-20-2005, 11:29 AM
I just hope that Frank Thomas plays another 6 years or so. My wife and I are expecting our first child any day now, and I want my child to be able to cherish having watched the great Frank Thomas for the rest of his or her life.

Not to beat a dead horse, but if he DOES stay for that long,unfortunately your child will probably have to see him in a different uniform. Oh and BTW,Congrats on your soon to be first born! :bandance:

Tom~Attitude
02-20-2005, 12:26 PM
When it's late in the game and the Sox need a miracle..who do you hope to see grab a bat?

Two outs, one on, down by a run?

I love Frank!

He's our "Mighty Casey"...
..for those unfamiliar with the reference... Casey at the Bat (http://www.favoritepoem.org/poems/thayer)

PaleHoseGeorge
02-20-2005, 01:10 PM

"Frank has no place in the current Sox lineup. With such powerhouses as Carl Everett and Ross Gload I can never see Frank as a starter. He just doesn't fit the team I'm looking for. And you can tell with all the playoff appearances we've made I know exactly what I'm going. There's no ego involved here. There's no place for a guy that can hit for power and get on base 40% of the time. We need speed and defense. Now someone go get me PK's agent so I can give him another overpriced contract."

I saw those quotes by Kenny in the Cubune, too. I couldn't believe it. Everett and Gload as Frank replacements-- after already losing Maggs and El Caballo???
:kukoo:

It's times like this that I lose any confidence in Kenny Williams. We Sox Fans are truly doomed if he is dumb enough to honestly think buying out Frank at $3.5 million makes more sense than renegotiating his contract.

BUY OUT KENNY! KEEP FRANK!!!

BigHurt9394
02-20-2005, 01:20 PM
Check out my name thing...enough said. It should be BigHurt939400

Cowhead418
02-20-2005, 01:54 PM
:threadrules:

Count me in!!!:D: :cool: :wink:

LongLiveFisk
02-20-2005, 02:28 PM
I am happy to say that I have always been a huge Frank supporter. I remember when he first came up to the bigs, playing at old Comiskey. You could just see he was going to be something special; he just had the presence, confidence, patience, and natural ability. He definitely struck fear in the hearts of opposing pitchers, and to this day he is still considered the most feared White Sox hitter to a lot of A.L. pitchers even with his injury issues in recent years and lower-than-usual-for-Frank production. But his offensive numbers are at or very near the top in every category in White Sox history. I think he is without a doubt, the greatest White Sox player of all-time, all things considered.

And I'm sorry but I don't judge the personality of someone by the media's experiences with them. There are two sides to every story. I judge them by how they treat the people who support them (meaning White Sox FANS). And there is no doubt that this man goes out of his way to be accomodating and definitely appreciates the fans. I just don't know what more people want.

So Frank...http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2518&stc=1

Frank Thomas: Future Hall of Famer.

mikef1331
02-20-2005, 09:04 PM
I support Frank Thomas, next to Fisk he's my favorite Sox player.

IMO, He's the best "All Natural" hitter of his generation.

nodiggity59
02-20-2005, 09:29 PM
KW's never liked Frank, never will. Every GM has his weaknesses and, IMO, this is one of KWs.

That said, if Frank can't get back healthy for 100+ games this year, I would cut ties with him too. It would kill me, but if he doesn't play this year you can't give him a multi year extension.

So here's to Frank making it all the way back this year and KW being forced to keep him.

shoota
02-21-2005, 03:04 AM

ditto. I am a Frank fan and think he should be in the HOF, and if he's less productive than Carl Everett, Everett should DH full-time. I love good Frank and value the team's success more than his personal success b/c Frank's already in the HOF. If Ozzie has to step on the toes of a player of frank's calibur for the good of the team and all us pro-Frank fans, he better dance on his feet. Frank'll have a good year.

StillMissOzzie
02-21-2005, 04:50 AM
There's nothing I would like more than to see Frank get 500 HR's, and also to retire in, a White Sox uniform.

Since the MLBPA allowed Sosa to abandon his 2006 option to facilitate the sCrUB dump-job to Baltimore, I wish there were some way that Frank's 2006 option could be wiped out in favor of a contract extension that would assure this of happening.

SMO

akingamongstmen
02-21-2005, 04:24 PM
To the greatest pure hitter in White Sox history...:gulp:

Foulke29
02-21-2005, 05:54 PM
I am happy to say that I have always been a huge Frank supporter.

What can Frank say? When you're 270 lbs, chances are, you need a huge supporter.

ZING!

:bandance:

Ol' No. 2
02-21-2005, 06:52 PM
Brandon McCarthy was a big FT fan growing up. There's an article (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-sox21.html)in today's Sun Times.

"I remember -- and my dad reminds me of this every day when I'm here -- when I was 9, 10 years old, I'd sit there and read the paper, get the box score and just think how old I'd have to be to play with Frank Thomas and how old he'd have to be and putting those two things together,'' McCarthy said. "To be here, it's quite a dream come true, and that little kid inside of me is jumping up and down right now waiting for him to get here.''

SouthSideSid
02-21-2005, 06:57 PM
I SUPPORT FRANK.

As a lifelong Sox fan - I hope I see a better player wearing a White Sox uni.
But, I have a feeling we will not see a better hitter in Chicago for a very long time after Big Hurt.
If Frank ever plays a game for another team the GM of record should be fired on the spot.

1st ballot HOF

Paulwny
02-21-2005, 07:14 PM
I'm sure the majority of sox fans, including me, want Frank to end his career wearing the sox uniform. If Frank leaves will this be a horrendous pr disaster, alienating more fans or, as in the threads concerning Fisk, Ventura, Mc Dowell... will this be another smart business decision by JR , saving $$$ ?

Irishsoxfan
02-22-2005, 02:30 AM
I made my first post to this site back in March 2003 to a thread entitled 'The Frank Thomas Club' which I supported. It's a shame that people still feel the need to start such threads. Two things I know to be true; if Frank is not elected to the Hall on the first ballot then the Hall is meaningless to me and if I ever fail to appreciate what Frank has done for the Sox then I am no longer a Sox fan. Period.

maurice
02-22-2005, 03:26 PM
The words "Frank Thomas" and "easy out" should never appear in the same paragraph, unless the paragraph looks something like this:

Frank Thomas is one of the greatest hitters in baseball history. Only a complete ****ing imbecile with **** for brains would ever claim that he is an easy out. Such a person probably also thinks that Mark Grace won several MVP awards and still plays 1B on the North Side.

A 45-year-old Frank Thomas with his right leg and his right arm tied behind his back is still a better hitter than half the position players in MLB.

RKMeibalane
02-22-2005, 04:44 PM
A 45-year-old Frank Thomas with his right leg and his right arm tied behind his back is still a better hitter than half the position players in MLB.

There is evidence to back up this point. I have seen Frank Thomas one-hand several balls into the gap during his time in the big leagues. One of the longest home runs he ever hit was a one-handed job. I don't remember the specifics, but he ended up hooking it down the left field line. It landed several rows back in the seats.

chez742002
02-24-2005, 02:09 AM
I never had a problem with him, although I thought he was finished. He always did his job like a professional and so what if he complained about his job, everyone does. He has been the true model of what pro baseball is all about!!

He was a team player who looked for the best pitch and WOULD take a walk, instead of always swinging for a homerun. He swung to get hits, not just homeruns. He rarely struckout and always walked. He gave his team several pitches to look at, which allowed the other batters to get better looks at the opposing pitcher. He was an ok fielder, he just could not throw...not a big deal for a 1st baseman. He was always out for the team and he never said he was "THE MAN". Even if there were some problems, Konerko was out of line for calling him out. Thomas was a veteran and deserved more respect than he was given. Thomas has a lot of class and when Konerko choked in 2003, Thomas did not say a word about it. I hope Paulie learned from that. Frank was also a very charitable person and if you talked to him, he was a regular, great guy who treated everyone with respect, even if he did not get treated that way all the time. He is one of the biggest tippers in Chicago today. He gave me a $500 tip on a bottle of Krystal for him and his girl at the Clubhouse in Oak Brook and he tipped the Valet $100 for parking his car.
In other words he is a normal human being who gets pissed off once and a while and sticks his foot in his mouth. But he is OUR GUY ONLY!!! and Bud Selig owes him big time for being MLB's GUY and one of their only CLEAN GUYS!! This is what makes his statistics more awe inspiring, he watched while others shot up and did his damage clean. Many others could not hold a stick to him now (Giambi, McGwire, Sosa, Bonds). HE IS A 1ST BALLOT HALL OF FAMER, OUR HALL OF FAMER, a White Sox Great, the Greatest, Mr WhiteSox, who will wear a Sox cap into the Hall and best of all he is A TRUE ROLE MODEL FOR CHICAGO'S and THE NATIONS CHILDREN!!! He did it well and he did it the RIGHT WAY!!!!!!!

Go Frank, Go!!! We all love you, keep rockin and remember where your heart will always be, here in Chicago's SouthSide!! I just hope he does not pay attention to the idiots at the Cubune or the other press morons who do not know anything about him or sports in general!!
He should know that ALL SOX FANS THANK HIM FOR THE YEARS, LOVE HIM FOR ALL THE MEMORIES and PRAISE HIM FOR THE CLEAN LIFE HE HAS LIVED, SO OUR CHILDREN CAN HAVE A SPORT HERO TO BE PROUD OF!!

HERES TO YOU FRANK< HOPE THERE ARE MANY MORE TO GO!!:gulp: :gulp: :) :) :dtroll:

SSN721
02-24-2005, 09:39 AM
I supposrt Frank. Surefire lock for the Hall I think, no question. Heres to a great year and hopefully more to come in a Sox uni til you retire. :gulp:

tstrike2000
02-24-2005, 12:21 PM

Bob

Like Bob and many others, I've been a huge pessimist in the last few years of KW, mainly for giving up a lot of pitching. But I think KW's learned a lot and you can't question his willingness to win. I can't even see KW standing by the above comments, if he indeed said anything like that. A rejuvenated and healed Big Hurt can only help a team.

Flight #24
02-24-2005, 01:06 PM
Like Bob and many others, I've been a huge pessimist in the last few years of KW, mainly for giving up a lot of pitching. But I think KW's learned a lot and you can't question his willingness to win. I can't even see KW standing by the above comments, if he indeed said anything like that. A rejuvenated and healed Big Hurt can only help a team.

This is 100% true. Remember, it's one thing to want to get rid of Frank when you have Paulie, Maggs, CLee in the lineup and when the alternative is paying him $10mil/yr at a time when that was a pretty high salary. When you don't really have anyone capable of putting up any similar power #s except maybe Paulie, and when the savings of $6.5mil aren't going to buy you anything close to what you'll get from Frnk performance-wise - it's a much different decision. Plus, you've now got the added PR benefit of him chasing 500HR and his last few years pre-retirement (assuming he doesn't pull an Edgar Martinez and hang around forever).

Bottom line, it's a much different scenario, and as mentioned already it looks like KW's getting better as a GM all of which should combine to keep Frank around.

kitekrazy
02-24-2005, 02:54 PM
I love watching Frank bat. It's something every baseball purist should see. It's so much fun to see a man of his size foul off 5 pitches, work the full count, and smack a double in the gap. Or foul off pitch after pitch before launching a 450 ft. HR. I can't wait for him to come back.

I agree. Still a great hitter. It seems Frank got a bad rap during the Manuel Era. Plus he's one of those players I would not be suspicious of steroids.

unysoxfan
02-24-2005, 09:45 PM
Frank is and always will be my favorite player. Go Big Frank!

:threadrules: :) :) :) :)

ghostfacesox
02-24-2005, 09:53 PM
Bring Back Big Hurt Inc !!!!:dtroll:

stillz
02-24-2005, 10:22 PM
Frank Thomas is unquestionably the best white sox hitter ever. He's unselfish at the plate, drives the ball perfectly and knows his strike zone as well as anyone. The media have never celebrated his achievements enough.

And he's a helluva nice guy.

Go Go Big Hurt! Get well soon..

:smile:

ChiSoxGirl
02-24-2005, 11:56 PM
I too, was thingking of starting a thread like this, so I'm glad that somebody did. I have been paying attention to Frank ever since Hawk and Wimpy would bring up his name.

early 1990 telecasts when talking about the farm clubs:

Hawk: "Guess who homered last night?"

Wimpy: "Frank Thomas."

Hawk: "Yep." "He's gonna be something special."

They would always mention him throughout the season. I couldn't wait till they brought him up. When they did, he didn't disappoint, and for 99.9% of the time since, he still hasn't.

I think it was only in '02 where he was driving me nuts, but besides that, I've never wanted to miss one of his at-bats.

Over the last 20 years there are only a handful of players, that it's been difficult to turn away when they are at bat. Those would include, for me: Tom Paciorek, Rod Carew, George Brett, Cal Ripken, Jose Canseco, Ken Griffey Jr., Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa, Derek Jeter and of course, Frank Thomas. I'm not saying I like all of those guys, just that they've been interesting for one reason or another.:)

I remember watching those broadcasts with Harrelson & Paciorek and hearing those exact words you quoted. They were right- Frank Thomas would go on to be something special and still is.

Over & above his talent on the field, he's managed to be one of those few players who has stayed loyal to the baseball team he was home grown by, which is so admirable in today's sports world. Sure, he's put his foot in his mouth a few times, but who among us hasn't?

Here's to Frank Thomas and what has been a phenomenal career thus far. We all look forward to seeing that career continue in the black pinstripes of the south side! :gulp:

paciorek1983
02-25-2005, 12:57 AM
I remember watching those broadcasts with Harrelson & Paciorek and hearing those exact words you quoted. They were right- Frank Thomas would go on to be something special and still is.

Over & above his talent on the field, he's managed to be one of those few players who has stayed loyal to the baseball team he was home grown by, which is so admirable in today's sports world. Sure, he's put his foot in his mouth a few times, but who among us hasn't?

Here's to Frank Thomas and what has been a phenomenal career thus far. We all look forward to seeing that career continue in the black pinstripes of the south side! :gulp:

:gulp: :wink:

jvoboogie
02-25-2005, 01:34 AM
The two scariest hitters Ive ever seen in a Sox uniform are Dick Allen and Frank Thomas. Another way they are alike is that they are two of the most misunderstood players of their time. But there is no doubt when FT steps up to the plate a pitcher had better have a plan. I DO hope he finishes his carreer in Chicago, it would be a shame after all these years

no.72
02-25-2005, 05:43 AM
WSI newbie here.

just want to use my first post to voice my support for frank. hope he goes on a f'n tear when he comes back this year. gets a decent contract from kenny and ends his career here.

ma_deuce
02-25-2005, 08:26 AM
:canseco

"Support Frank... or Hulk smash!"

Vernam
02-26-2005, 12:23 PM
As for the media types who gave Sammy "Juiced" Sosa a pass all those years with the Cubs while ragging on anything Thomas did that did not meet their high standards of player behavior...they can go **** themselves, as can those who post here who rag on Thomas and don't back their claims with any kinds of facts but simply parrot the BS spewed by the Cubbie-loving/Sox-hating media.

Latest thinking by the media hypocrites seems to be that Frank deserves to be in the Hall because he got jobbed out of his third MVP by Giambi the Juicer. BS. Yes, he deserved the MVP, but he's a first-ballot HoF-er no matter how whacked out on 'roids the rest of MLB was during his career. Just think how staggering his numbers would look if not for the fake stats posted by Bonds, McGwire, Sosa, etc. And even at _that_, I'd rather have had Frank than any of them, steroids or not.

Frank shouldn't hold his breath waiting for apologies from the media, but I hope the fans treat him right, and I hope Reinsdorf can find a way for him to end his career here.

VC

WikdChiSoxFan
02-27-2005, 11:19 AM
We at WSI can't get the "I support Frank Thomas" thread up to 100 posts!?
What up with that?
Come on.

I support Frank Thomas so much, that this will be my second post in this thread. And I suggest that the rest of you follow my faithful gesture by joining the "Friends of Frank" right here and now!

Frank the Tank '05

voodoochile
02-27-2005, 11:20 AM
This Tomato's for you Frank...

:tomatoaward

Milkman43
02-27-2005, 02:38 PM
How can you not like Frank? I love the guy.

mccombe_35
03-02-2005, 09:54 PM
My first post here guys! Happy as hell to see so many guys (& gals?) in Frank's corner! I became a Sox fan in the 80's as a young kid, but i fell in love with the Sox in the early 90's watching Thomas become one of the greatest hitters the game has ever seen.

It's great to see so many White Sox / Thomas supporters in this anti-Sox city of Chicago. Hopefully someday more people will appreciate what Thomas did on the field & for the city & the South Side team. I really, really hope Frank hits # 500 in a Sox uniform in '06 - the year after he leads them to a World Series!

Great to meet all of you! Cheers!

ChiSoxGirl
03-02-2005, 11:29 PM
My first post here guys! Happy as hell to see so many guys (& gals?) in Frank's corner! I became a Sox fan in the 80's as a young kid, but i fell in love with the Sox in the early 90's watching Thomas become one of the greatest hitters the game has ever seen.

It's great to see so many White Sox / Thomas supporters in this anti-Sox city of Chicago. Hopefully someday more people will appreciate what Thomas did on the field & for the city & the South Side team. I really, really hope Frank hits # 500 in a Sox uniform in '06 - the year after he leads them to a World Series!

Great to meet all of you! Cheers!

Yes, a gal in Frank's corner here! You and I are about the same age and seem to have become Sox fans at right around the same time. One of my greatest joys as a pre-teen gal is watching Thomas & Ventura (also mt all-time favorite Sox player) come up from the minors and reading the great article in the Cubune about how Thomas & Ventura were early roommates when both got the call up to Chicago in August, 1990.

This IS an anti-Sox city, you're right. Though Sox fans like all of us on this board are few & far between, we're die-hards and are with the team through thick and thin. I read your profile and see you're also a northwest suburban Sox fan- cheers to <i>us</i> for that! :D:

Glad to meet you, too. :smile:

fquaye149
03-03-2005, 04:17 AM
I don't know what else to say but that Frank Thomas is one of the reason I like the Sox as much as I do, that he is probably the best player ever to wear pinstripes, that he was the best right-handed hitter of the 90's and perhaps the best overall hitter, and that even now he remains one of the best hitters in baseball.

OF COURSE I support Frank!

mccombe_35
03-03-2005, 12:09 PM
Yes, a gal in Frank's corner here! You and I are about the same age and seem to have become Sox fans at right around the same time. One of my greatest joys as a pre-teen gal is watching Thomas & Ventura (also mt all-time favorite Sox player) come up from the minors and reading the great article in the Cubune about how Thomas & Ventura were early roommates when both got the call up to Chicago in August, 1990.

This IS an anti-Sox city, you're right. Though Sox fans like all of us on this board are few & far between, we're die-hards and are with the team through thick and thin. I read your profile and see you're also a northwest suburban Sox fan- cheers to <i>us</i> for that! :D:

Glad to meet you, too. :smile:

Thanks!

One of my better earlier memories as a young Sox fan was making a bet in the offseason after the 1990 season with a Cubs fan - who would hit more HRs, Thomas, coming off the 7 HR rookie year - or Sandberg, coming off the 40 HR season. (Guess who I had? lol) Frank hit 32 & Ryno ended up at 26. it was a gutsy bet at the time (we all know how everybody in this city loves Sandberg), but I just had that feeling Frank was going to be something special...

Been a huge Frank fan all along! Even during the down seasons...

Here in the northwest suburbs us Sox fans really are few & far between!

Sleep520
03-03-2005, 05:13 PM
mccombe is such a pimp...

ChiSox14305635
03-03-2005, 05:55 PM
With all due respect to Bret Hart, only Frank Thomas is:

THE BEST THERE IS. THE BEST THERE WAS. THE BEST THERE EVER WILL BE.

:supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

mccombe_35
03-03-2005, 10:08 PM
mccombe is such a pimp...

LOL

i do my best sleep........:cool:

whats up?

Frank reports Monday?:D:

ChiSoxGirl
03-03-2005, 11:12 PM
LOL

i do my best sleep........:cool:

whats up?

Frank reports Monday?:D:

Apparently, you are well-liked on this board already by more than one person! :wink:

Frank does report Monday, which is some welcome news from Sox camp! There's all this speculation about what kind of shape he'll come into camp in, but I know he'll be fine and am confident that he'll be able to put up 2003-like numbers (42 HRs, 105 RBIs, I think) once he gets going.

And just for the record, isn't this supposed to be the "new and improved" Sox team? Willie Harris was picked off 2nd today and Uribe yesterday, not to mention we couldn't bring anyone home with runners in scoring position with less than two out- again! The only bright spot early on has been Podsednik- he of the 2 SBs and a lead-off bunt single this afternoon. Kudos to Podsednik! :wink:

mccombe_35
03-04-2005, 09:04 AM
Apparently, you are well-liked on this board already by more than one person! :wink:

Frank does report Monday, which is some welcome news from Sox camp! There's all this speculation about what kind of shape he'll come into camp in, but I know he'll be fine and am confident that he'll be able to put up 2003-like numbers (42 HRs, 105 RBIs, I think) once he gets going.

And just for the record, isn't this supposed to be the "new and improved" Sox team? Willie Harris was picked off 2nd today and Uribe yesterday, not to mention we couldn't bring anyone home with runners in scoring position with less than two out- again! The only bright spot early on has been Podsednik- he of the 2 SBs and a lead-off bunt single this afternoon. Kudos to Podsednik! :wink:

:redface:
lol
Sleep is a Sox fan from another message board - he actually recommended this site to me!

Glad to see Frank will be with the team Monday! Herm Schneider did say they will take things vvveeerrrryyy ssslloooww with him though.... I really like the Sox chances if Frank can get 500 ABs this year. He makes such a difference in the lineup - especially this new, less powerful one.

As for the baserunning the past few days.:(: I listened to both games on the radio & was thinking the same thing. It's frusterating.... Hopefully Raines will make a difference....

Hey, did you see the thread about Frank being "invited" to testify on steroids along with Canseco, Giambi, Sosa, McGwire, Schilling & Palmeiro? I really don't like seeing Frank's name in with the others when steriods is the topic......

Hey Sox - lets get that first W of the spring soon!:wink:

ChiSoxGirl
03-04-2005, 09:09 AM
:redface:
lol
Sleep is a Sox fan from another message board - he actually recommended this site to me!

Glad to see Frank will be with the team Monday! Herm Schneider did say they will take things vvveeerrrryyy ssslloooww with him though.... I really like the Sox chances if Frank can get 500 ABs this year. He makes such a difference in the lineup - especially this new, less powerful one.

As for the baserunning the past few days.:(: I listened to both games on the radio & was thinking the same thing. It's frusterating.... Hopefully Raines will make a difference....

Hey, did you see the thread about Frank being "invited" to testify on steroids along with Canseco, Giambi, Sosa, McGwire, Schilling & Palmeiro? I really don't like seeing Frank's name in with the others when steriods is the topic......

Hey Sox - lets get that first W of the spring soon!:wink:

I just read this morning at ChicagoSports.com about Thomas testifying among those other ballplayers, namely Sam-me and Canseco. I'm not too concerned about what people may think about Thomas's name being among those other obvious steriod users (not so sure about Schilling, though). Seriously, when as Sox fans have we ever cared what other people think about us, our players, or our organization?! :wink:

And yes, the baserunning has sucked big-time Wednesday & Thursday, but yay for Podsednik and his lead-off bunt singles and SBs!

Here's to our first win down in the Valley of the Sun. :gulp:

mccombe_35
03-04-2005, 03:11 PM
I just read this morning at ChicagoSports.com about Thomas testifying among those other ballplayers, namely Sam-me and Canseco. I'm not too concerned about what people may think about Thomas's name being among those other obvious steriod users (not so sure about Schilling, though). Seriously, when as Sox fans have we ever cared what other people think about us, our players, or our organization?! :wink:

And yes, the baserunning has sucked big-time Wednesday & Thursday, but yay for Podsednik and his lead-off bunt singles and SBs!

Here's to our first win down in the Valley of the Sun. :gulp:

Sounds good! Split squad today - 2 games! CHEERS!:gulp:

Bruck35
03-04-2005, 07:32 PM
Go Frank!

DocWolf
03-05-2005, 10:58 AM
...he is Mr. ChiSox.:cheers:

guillen4life13
03-05-2005, 03:31 PM
This is the year when we must support Frank the most because he will be attacked from all angles because the Cubs can't even claim to have the best hitter in the city and thus the Cub-loving media will attack the one clear-cut Hall of Famer and franchise player in the city (say what you want about Sammy, he's going to the Hall of Fame and was the Cubs' franchise player). He deserves our loudest cheers, the most signs, letters in his support, etc.

I guarantee you're gonna hear a bunch of Aramis Ramirez BS from Cub fans, so don't jump to that conclusion quite yet.

MRKARNO
03-05-2005, 03:33 PM
I guarantee you're gonna hear a bunch of Aramis Ramirez BS from Cub fans, so don't jump to that conclusion quite yet.

Well they can't claim to have the best hitter in the city without sounding like, well, Cubs fans. Most of the Cubs fans who have a clue wont be making such a claim.

buehrle4cy05
03-05-2005, 10:52 PM
If I didn't support the Big Hurt, I wouldn't have 640 of his baseball cards. He could go down as the best player on Sox history.

Jamieboy
03-07-2005, 04:38 PM
Frank Thomas is without a doubt my favorite WhiteSox player. In fact, Griffey edges Frank ever so slightly as my favorite player of all time. But Frank has been disrespected so much in his career, its a shame. He's deserved more than he's gotten in his career. Thomas is the most complete hitter to put on a WhiteSox uniform. Its been my pleasure to watch him during his career. I'm only saddened that I didn't follow his best days when I was a young kid. I only started following baseball during the 98 season. This will also help me bring up a point.

Frank Thomas's two worst complete seasons in his career was 98 and 2002. In 98 he hit .265 with a .381OBP and a .480SLG. Hitting 29HRs and driving in 109. In 2002 he hit .252 with a .361OBP and .472SLG. Hitting 28HRs and driving in 92RBIs. 1999 doesn't count because he played the entire season with a bonespur the size of golf ball in his ankle, still hitting .301 and slugging .471. My point is, his two worst seasons are Great years for 95% of the players in baseball. This man deserves his due. He deserved the MVP in 2000, plus he was also jobbed out of the AllStar game.

During Frank's career, especially his prime and injury free 90s, few players have matched his production. Griffey, Juan Gonzalez, and Albert Belle are it for the AL. Its a shame the Sox didn't have better team together when they put Belle behind Thomas. Give me this WhiteSox team, and throw in Thomas and Belle from 97-98, and I give you history. Just dreaming though.

My favorite Frank Thomas moment by the way was a July game versus the Twins in 2003. The Sox had just traded for Everett and Roberto Alomar, hope was high, the game went to extra innings, and Frank fouled off maybe 10 pitches in a row against Every Day Eddy Guardado. On pitch 13 I think, he sent it deep to left field. Simply amazing Frank fouling all that off looking for something he drive.

SoxWillWin
03-08-2005, 02:11 AM
I don't know about you all but I think frank should start getting a little more animated when he gets a hold of a pitch. Just once I'd like to see him stare a homerun into the seats before starting his homerun trot. I know some people think it's showboating, but if anyone deserves to do it it's Frank.

fusillirob1983
03-08-2005, 02:31 AM
I think he should just run the bases as though he's done it before. Maybe a little celebration is in order if he gets 500.

Baby Fisk
03-08-2005, 09:13 AM
I don't know about you all but I think frank should start getting a little more animated when he gets a hold of a pitch. Just once I'd like to see him stare a homerun into the seats before starting his homerun trot. I know some people think it's showboating, but if anyone deserves to do it it's Frank.

The fact that he doesn't showboat makes Frank the man we know and love.

(...but yeah, I'd love to see it...just once! Perhaps a Bo Jackson-like division clincher...or a pennant winning blast! Wee Hoo!) :bandance:

Baby Fisk
03-08-2005, 09:23 AM
From today's Cub-Times:

A careful recovery would be key for Thomas to reach his goal of playing another four or five seasons. How many of those seasons come with the Sox still is to be determined. The team can buy out his contract after this season for $3.5 million and avoid paying him $10 million next season.

"It's one of these things that [chairman] Jerry Reinsdorf and I always have had a great relationship,'' Thomas said. "If it's time for my career to end here, there's nothing I can do about that. My job is to go out and get healthy and be the player I possibly can be. If I'm the player I normally am, I don't see me going anywhere.

"I would love to retire as part of the White Sox.''
linky (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-sox08.html)

MaggPipes
03-08-2005, 11:16 AM
I just want to let it be known that Frank Thomas is one of the main reasons I am a white sox fan and have been for the last 11 years. To me Frank Thomas is the figure head of the Chicago White Sox. You may say, Mark Buehrle is our best player now and I might have to agree with you. But ask me whose team this is and I will say Frank Thomas. If you ask the average person on the street to name one White Sox player, the only one they would ever have had the chance of hearing of is Frank Thomas (outside of Chicago). I am thoroughly convinced that like it or not the Chicago White Sox go by the way of Frank Thomas, similarly as they people said they went by the way of Ray Durham. If Frank has an MVP esque year this year, there is no way that we are not in the play-offs.

Realist
03-08-2005, 11:23 AM
Hi Frank! :yoohoo:

CPditka
03-08-2005, 11:24 AM
I support Frank Thomas, and am very please with his recent PR tour to the score, MJH, and in the booth.

SoxWillWin
03-08-2005, 11:47 AM
The fact that he doesn't showboat makes Frank the man we know and love.

(...but yeah, I'd love to see it...just once! Perhaps a Bo Jackson-like division clincher...or a pennant winning blast! Wee Hoo!) :bandance:

I know. I'm not saying he should do a Barry everytime he belts one. But if it's the right situation I'd love to see it.

skobabe8
03-08-2005, 11:51 AM
I just want to let it be known that Frank Thomas is one of the main reasons I am a white sox fan and have been for the last 11 years. To me Frank Thomas is the figure head of the Chicago White Sox. You may say, Mark Buehrle is our best player now and I might have to agree with you. But ask me whose team this is and I will say Frank Thomas. If you ask the average person on the street to name one White Sox player, the only one they would ever have had the chance of hearing of is Frank Thomas (outside of Chicago). I am thoroughly convinced that like it or not the Chicago White Sox go by the way of Frank Thomas, similarly as they people said they went by the way of Ray Durham. If Frank has an MVP esque year this year, there is no way that we are not in the play-offs.

you hit the nail on the head

SoxSpeed22
03-08-2005, 11:54 AM
Big Frank is our key to either a great season, or a disaster. If he can come in by late April or early May and drive in the runs, we should have few problems on offense. If there was one Sox player I'd want to see win a title, it's him.

SpammySosa
03-08-2005, 12:46 PM
Big Frank is our key to either a great season, or a disaster. If he can come in by late April or early May and drive in the runs, we should have few problems on offense. If there was one Sox player I'd want to see win a title, it's him.

Not to question Frank's contributions in ANY way,but CSN had stats last night showing that the last few years when Frank has been injured the team has a slightly better record than in games he played in.I was as surprised as anyone by those stats.

SpammySosa
03-08-2005, 12:48 PM
[QUOTE=MaggPipes] I am thoroughly convinced that like it or not the Chicago White Sox go by the way of Frank Thomas, similarly as they people said they went by the way of Ray Durham.QUOTE]
Huh?:?: Who said that??

Iwritecode
03-08-2005, 01:58 PM
[QUOTE=MaggPipes] I am thoroughly convinced that like it or not the Chicago White Sox go by the way of Frank Thomas, similarly as they people said they went by the way of Ray Durham.QUOTE]
Huh?:?: Who said that??

It happened alot in 2000 and even 2001. It always seemed like if Durham had a good day at the plate, the Sox won. If he went into a slump, so did the rest of the team...

balke
03-08-2005, 02:51 PM
Not to question Frank's contributions in ANY way,but CSN had stats last night showing that the last few years when Frank has been injured the team has a slightly better record than in games he played in.I was as surprised as anyone by those stats.

There were a couple years when he was tweaking his swing to hit the inside pitch. He looked pretty bad out there, and Hawk would say everyday that he should just keep his old stance, it worked this long... yada yada.

Then last season he was crushing the inside pitch, and looking really good out there. Couple that w/ Manuel running the lineup, I'm not too surprised at this. 2001-2003 were a bit painful to watch. He was put out there to aim at the fences, he's much more useful when being put on base and /or waiting for a pitch he can rip an RBI double.

Iwritecode
03-08-2005, 02:55 PM

CNS needs to re-check their stats then...

with: 40 - 34
w/o : 43 - 45

with: 81 - 72
w/o : 5 - 4

with: 72 - 76
w/o : 9 - 5

Total
with: 193 - 182 = .515
w/o : 57 - 54 = .514

It seems to me they are slightly worse when Frank is not playing. That point especially stuck out in 2004 although I'm sure losing Maggs also made a difference. I don't have the stats for 2001 but Frank only played a whopping 20 games that year. The Sox did finish over .500 (as usual) so it would be interesting to see their record over the 20 games he did play.

Even going back that far might not make much sense considering how much the team has changed since then...

balke
03-08-2005, 02:56 PM
[QUOTE=SpammySosa]

It happened alot in 2000 and even 2001. It always seemed like if Durham had a good day at the plate, the Sox won. If he went into a slump, so did the rest of the team...

When you have great hitters that put fear in the lineup, you need someone in front of them who has speed and can get on base. Durham was that guy, and he won a lot of games for the sox. Pitchers had to face a monster middle of the order, with no room to walk them all. They'd end up pitching to someone, and Durham was home on a single, or a 2-run homerun.

When Frank comes back, it would be really nice if Frank, Paulie, and Rowand are all hitting well (perhaps even Everett). If Pods or Iguchi get on, we may see similar results.

Unfortunately I think we'll be praying all season for one more hitter who can put fear in the lineup like frank does. As it is now, opposing pitchers can walk frank, and get Paulie to GIDP, or strikeout.

HawkISox
03-09-2005, 03:17 PM
Frank Thomas has been one of Chicago's all time great players.

He has not been in trouble with the law, has not been in the steroid issue.

Just because he does not play with the media makes him out to be a bad guy? Give me a break.

So few players play their whole career with the same team. I can't imagine the Sox without Frank.

chisox77
03-09-2005, 05:01 PM
No question, I stand behind "The Big Hurt."

He has been the only true baseball superstar in Chicago for the last 16 years.

I appreciate him every time he bats. Even with the "steriod-induced" statistics of his peers, Frank Thomas is a sure Hall of Fame player. Now that the light of truth is shining on the deception of the Modern Power Era, Big Frank stands even taller, and is certainly a first ballot choice.

RavenswoodFan
03-10-2005, 07:05 AM
I'm glad that someone started a thread like this, as I was planning to start one myself. I want everyone who visits this board to understand the following:

Frank Thomas is greatest player in the history of the Chicago White Sox franchise. Many people, myself included, became Sox fans becuase of his presence on the team.

I will no longer tolerate pointless, senseless attacks on the Big Hurt, or for that matter, any other member of the Chicago White Sox organization- be it an attack by the Chicago media or another member of this board.

I am officially declaring war on the Frank-haters and any who support them or their ideals. If you have a problem with Frank Thomas, then I have a problem with you. Wherever you post on this board, I will be waiting there to refute any anti-Thomas arguments you choose to make.

Let me make my position perfectly clear:

If you want to criticize Frank Thomas for whining about his contract, go right ahead.

If you want to complain about him standing too far off the plate, be my guest.

If you want to talk about his HOF status, that's fine with me.

But I will not put up with anymore useless attacks on Frank's character, or on his value to this baseball team. Frank-haters, be warned. I will be coming after you.

-RKM

I agree 100%! The Cubune And The Suntimes reporters should be drug tested, they obviously have been doing somthing to make their views so cloudy!

SouthSide_HitMen
03-10-2005, 06:15 PM
Despite the fact he went to Auburn (I am a Alabama fan - Roll Tide forever - War Eagle Never) I am a Big Frank Thoma Fan.

Regardless of who was juiced and who wasn't (including Frank), Frank Thomas should be a first ballot Hall of Fame player (and I have a pretty stingy view of who should go in the Hall of Fame - first ballot or otherwise).

1925 G, 436 HR, .308 BA, .429 OBP, .567 Slg. 4 League Leading OBP & OPS & BB years, 2 Time MVP (could have been three - see 200, roids - Giambi).

115.8 WARP 3 to date (75.3 peak 1991 - 1997).

Recently inducted 1B and / or DH types:

Paul Molitor .306 BA, .369 OBP, .448 Slg
Tony Perez .279 BA, .341 OBP, .463 Slg

vs.

Frank Thomas .308 BA, .429 OBP, .567 Slg.

No contest - I don't care that Molitor hung around til his early 40s, Frank Thomas out hit, out slugged, out walked and out played Molitor and most other hall of fame first baseman. Bill James pegged him 10th all time amongst First Baseman (ahead of Palmeiro and only behind McGwire & Bagwell amongst contemps).

fusillirob1983
03-10-2005, 07:02 PM
I agree with most of what you said as making Frank a legit first ballot Hall of Famer, but Molitor made it mainly based on having 3000 hits.

rwcescato
03-10-2005, 07:15 PM
I agree with most of what you said as making Frank a legit first ballot Hall of Famer, but Molitor made it mainly based on having 3000 hits.

I wish nothing but the best for Frank. I hope he can have a MVP season this year. The Chicago media has always tried to find any negative vibes they can against the big hurt. At one point it became the Big Hurt against sammy sosa. The media has never apologized the way they have treated him. He has had a few bad moments when he spoke and made no sense. But for the most part he has done nothing but be there for his team and fans. Now he has to go to court and make his say against steroids. All the other superstars are being subpeoned
for there active part in the steroid scandle, as if we didn't know what flinstone vitamins were, sammy. I do remember a few years back when Mark Giangreco was so in awe of Sammys muscles he wanted to touch them. He followed him around like a lost puppy dog. Now our Frank Thomas is to stand in front of a commission to explain what steroids do to people. I am proud of the fact that our Frank Thomas still looks the same as he did 10 years ago. Never has he used steroid but just a hard work ethic.
Here is to Frank Thomas and his best season ever. Another MVP and a World Series ring in 2005.
Rich:smile:

Stroker Ace
03-12-2005, 11:44 PM
Frank Thomas= first ballot HOF'er

Frankfan4life
03-13-2005, 12:24 PM
I don't think any cubfan has any more admiration for a player than we Sox fans have for Big Frank. He's a true HOF, not only in our eyes, but in fact. This is the year we should really show Frank how we feel. It doesn't matter if the media takes note, they never will. It's a shame because the big man deserves better. But, it's important that Sox Fans give the big man the respect he deserves. I can't wait till he takes the field for the first time this year. I probably won't be able to talk for a week afterward. I'm grateful I was able to see Frank play and I'll savor every one of his at-bats as something special from now on.

Hearing Frank on the radio is the highlight of this ST for me. The Big Hurt wants to be a White Sox till he retires and he should be. JR make it so!

PAPChiSox729
03-13-2005, 04:21 PM
Hearing Frank on the radio is the highlight of this ST for me. The Big Hurt wants to be a White Sox till he retires and he should be. JR make it so!

"We've decided it is time for this ballclub to move towards the future. Frank will not be offered a new contract. But don't worry, with the money we will save both Borchard's and Crede's contracts can be extended."

jfo go go sox
03-14-2005, 09:31 PM
Since Frank Thomas has joined the White Sox in 1990, he has been not just the best hitter on the team, but in my opinion, the best hitter in the American League. Now, before everyone bashes me with 2002 thru 2003 (known as the sub-par years), I would have you remember the first time you saw Frank stand at the plate and watch his approach. Even as a young hitter, I have never seen anyone with as good of an eye at the plate. My personal bias is that the last few years, the umpires have been squeezing him on the inside pitch, but last year before his injury, he started to turn on the inside pitch and drive it like he always used to.

We should be lucky to have a hitter of Frank's caliber for these last 15 years on our team -- a steroid free slugger who we can all be proud of. One of the best hitters of this generation that I have had the priviledge to watch. A first ballot Hall of Famer in making -- so lets enjoy these last years of a great career -- and hopefully it will all be with our beloved Sox.

I'll drink to that -- :gulp:

pczarapa
03-15-2005, 09:54 PM

I support Frank Thomas!

"Damn straight."

Hell yes I support him, we're damn lucky to have him