PDA

View Full Version : Let's never use Frank at 1B again!

Jabroni
02-19-2005, 06:07 AM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20050218&content_id=945630&vkey=spt2005news&fext=.jsp
Thomas suffered the injury on June 17, 2004, at Pro Player Stadium in Florida. While playing first, he felt the ankle turn when he was fielding a Juan Pierre ground ball in the bottom of the seventh inning.

The injury was exacerbated when he ran on four separate pitches in the top of the eighth after getting hit by a pitch. He played on the fracture for 14 days, before being placed on the disabled list on July 10 for the rest of the season.I know we were just using Frank at 1B because it was an interleague game and that it was probably just a "freak" injury but I'd rather not see Frank play 1B again. We can't risk anymore injuries to Frank. He's the greatest hitter in White Sox history but he's also a HUGE man and can't be trying to make plays on the field anymore. He is a true DH and we should use him that way.

Get well soon, Big Frank!!! :hug:

Fredsox
02-19-2005, 06:20 AM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20050218&content_id=945630&vkey=spt2005news&fext=.jsp
I know we were just using Frank at 1B because it was an interleague game and that it was probably just a "freak" injury but I'd rather not see Frank play 1B again. We can't risk anymore injuries to Frank. He's the greatest hitter in White Sox history but he's also a HUGE man and can't be trying to make plays on the field anymore. He is a true DH and we should use him that way.

Get well soon, Big Frank!!! :hug:

So you're suggesting that when the Sox play in NL parks they use Thomas only as a pinch-hitter? I"ll have to disagree. As much crap as he takes for his fielding, when he played every day he wasn't that bad. He has the worst arm I've ever seen in my life (except maybe mine) but he got to a lot of balls just due to his size, his glove work was acceptable.

If his health permits and he's swinging the bat like we hope he will, I'm anticipating that Guillen will have the same tough decision about whether to play Konerko or Thomas in NL cities>

SEALgep
02-19-2005, 07:01 AM
So you're suggesting that when the Sox play in NL parks they use Thomas only as a pinch-hitter? I"ll have to disagree. As much crap as he takes for his fielding, when he played every day he wasn't that bad. He has the worst arm I've ever seen in my life (except maybe mine) but he got to a lot of balls just due to his size, his glove work was acceptable.

If his health permits and he's swinging the bat like we hope he will, I'm anticipating that Guillen will have the same tough decision about whether to play Konerko or Thomas in NL cities>I think Konerko has earned the right to be the everyday first baseman (except for days off with Gload) regardless of interleague play or not.

RKMeibalane
02-19-2005, 09:42 AM
I think Konerko has earned the right to be the everyday first baseman (except for days off with Gload) regardless of interleague play or not.

Even if Frank is more productive? Unless Frank comes out and says, "I can't play first anymore because of my ankle," I don't think we should be jumping to conclusions about what will happen once interleague play starts.

Kuzman
02-19-2005, 10:04 AM
Isn't that how Frank got hurt in 2001 as well? Ichiro slapped a ball down the first baseline and he pulled something right? Or am I wrong?

Dadawg_77
02-19-2005, 10:06 AM
Isn't that how Frank got hurt in 2001 as well? Ichiro slapped a ball down the first baseline and he pulled something right? Or am I wrong?

He dove and landed on it wrong.

Frank is still a better hitter then Konerko.

JKryl
02-19-2005, 12:23 PM
This is nothing but speculation. No matter what Ozzie wants, Frank will refuse to play 1st again. He just can't deal with it, even though it will come back to haunt him by keeping him out of the HOF for at least a couple of years.

PAPChiSox729
02-19-2005, 12:42 PM
This is nothing but speculation. No matter what Ozzie wants, Frank will refuse to play 1st again. He just can't deal with it, even though it will come back to haunt him by keeping him out of the HOF for at least a couple of years.

I really don't think Ozzie will ask Frank to play 1B during interleague play. Konerko is nearly as productive, a better defender, and less likely to be injured. Frank may play a few of the Sox/Cubs games, but that will probably be it.

SoxxoS
02-19-2005, 01:02 PM
I think Konerko has earned the right to be the everyday first baseman (except for days off with Gload) regardless of interleague play or not.

I don't know if that is justified...b/c if we are playing an interleague game, that means it is on the road, and Konerko hit horribly on the road last year.

santo=dorf
02-19-2005, 01:05 PM
Even if Frank is more productive? Unless Frank comes out and says, "I can't play first anymore because of my ankle," I don't think we should be jumping to conclusions about what will happen once interleague play starts.
I would rather have Frank be productive for the entire second half of the season instead of playing him for one series where his health is at a risk.

Gosox1917
02-19-2005, 01:10 PM
Frank is the best hitter the Sox have ever had, but from here on out he's a DH. It's time for him to put the mitt away. I don't understand how anyone would want him to risk another season by playing a few games at first in interleague play. Konerko was bad on the road, but I'd rather have him play first at NL parks than have Frank out for another season. Let Frank come in and pinch hit in those games when the game is on the line.

SoxFan76
02-19-2005, 01:30 PM
Don't believe the hype, Frank isn't a bad defensive player. He ain't no Gold Glover, but he's average. Nothing wrong with that. Now his arm? He can't throw worth a damn, and he will probably be the first to tell you that. If I remember correctly, it's due to a football injury at Auburn?

Cubsuck_a_lot
02-19-2005, 01:36 PM
Don't believe the hype, Frank isn't a bad defensive player. He ain't no Gold Glover, but he's average. Nothing wrong with that. Now his arm? He can't throw worth a damn, and he will probably be the first to tell you that. If I remember correctly, it's due to a football injury at Auburn?

the argument isnt "is frank a good first baseman." it's "should we risk him for the glory of having his presence at the plate during interleague play. i say it's all relative, although what in life isn't. If he isnt feeling up to playing first, then he shouldn't. we need his bat in the middle of the lineup, but if he is forced to play first, he may not want to take the risky maneuver. the real question is, will he get into the HOF with several years of soley DH-ing/pinch hitting?

Jerome
02-19-2005, 02:10 PM
We're gonna need his offense. Too bad we can't move Konerko to third or something. I would say whoever is hitting better, Konerko or Thomas should get the nod to play in NL parks.

Fredsox
02-19-2005, 03:12 PM
This all boils down to the reality that we can't make arbitrary statements saying "don't every play Thomas at 1st base" because it is not supportable or practical. We can and should play him at first base if he is able to play and is performing at a level where it helps the team MORE than is he is not. Obviously if he is playing, someone else is not, so that is factored in too.

This is what we have a manager for, and he is in a much better position to make these judgemen ts than I am.

chisox06
02-19-2005, 08:06 PM
He dove and landed on it wrong.

Frank is still a better hitter then Konerko.

When he's healthy. Frank's last two season ending injuries occured when he was in the field. It's a tough decision come interleague time.

Ol' No. 2
02-19-2005, 08:18 PM
I agree with the original premise. No way I'd risk Frank injuring his ankle again for a grand total of 9 away interleague games. Let him have the time to rest up.

idiotAllDAWay
02-19-2005, 10:52 PM
good idea jobroni.

Dadawg_77
02-20-2005, 01:21 AM
When he's healthy. Frank's last two season ending injuries occured when he was in the field. It's a tough decision come interleague time.

Other then simple fact any player in the field has more of a chance of injury, is Frank Thomas put in greater risk by playing the field? We haven't answered that question, just we are jumping to conclusions based on two events over the course of four seasons. That isn't solid ground for making any choice.